How *NOT* to get hired at MAC

calbear

HA! had to laught about the electric eel brows cause i have freshwater/contrast brows. i didnt have them in the interview as i did not have the blue hair yet.

amoona

Hey one of my old coworkers used to rock Royal Wink in his brows when he had blue hair too haha.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
I "love" it when people come in to apply for positions and hand you a resume that they didn;t even bother to spellcheck. This one girl dropped off a resume the other day at a counter I was working at, and there were so many spelling and grammatical errors that the manager tossed the resume in the garbage. Just because it's not an executive job doesn't mean that the resume doesn;t have to be perfect. Get them proofread over and over again until there isn't even the tiniest error on them.

I saw a resume where the girls objective was to work in the "Facion" industry. I was simply amazed.... Oh, and another jem of one printed on NEON green paper.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
I "love" it when people come in to apply for positions and hand you a resume that they didn;t even bother to spellcheck. This one girl dropped off a resume the other day at a counter I was working at, and there were so many spelling and grammatical errors that the manager tossed the resume in the garbage. Just because it's not an executive job doesn't mean that the resume doesn;t have to be perfect. Get them proofread over and over again until there isn't even the tiniest error on them.

Haha, I always end up doing editing mark-ups on badly written resumes when they're handed to me. If I've added five basic punctuation marks in the first sentence alone, I know I'm onto a real winner.

CandyKisses1018

Some of your posts were really funny =).
I deffy am taking all of your advices and making a check list before I drop off my resume on Monday.. lmao! thanks girls =)

oh yea.. I am new to this site and I LOVE IT! everyone is so friendly, honest, and you all have good humor =) if any of you are in chicago.. lets party =)

calbear

Ohhhh you have truly said it right here, nyla. the girls from other departments can truly be off the hook. I will add to the purse girl story by saying that she coms over everyday and either wants her makeup done by you or just comes over and grabs products and starts slathering them on her face without sanitizing anything and blocking serious customers from the only mirror.

MACboi105

Here's mine...

So, a woman comes up to the counter, and is interested in trying on some lipstick/lipglass with her daughter( I shall assume)... Well we start to go over the lipglass, and finally we move to the lipsticks... We small talk and I tell her I love the "O", "Bronze Shimmer", "New York Apple", and "MAC Red" as my favorite lipstick colours. She tries them all one complaining how the shade is different, she doesn't like the texture, blah blah blah...

Towards the end of wasting 15 minutes of my time, she asks, " How do I get a job here" I tell her she would need to fill an application out, and return it, and then speak with the manager when they return...

She starts going on about how she is certified, went to makeup school, knows all about makeup. She then starts saying how she can do a better job at suggesting colours to customers, and sell more then I can, and how she would be a superior employee then I am. I tell her I am just a sales associate, shadowing under the other artists, and manager until a permanent spot opens and I can be sent to basic.

She thens gets a little arrogant, asks for an application. The whole time telling me how she doesn't feel I can ever be an artist(being I have no prior makeup expierience), starts telling me how to fix my foundation, how to sell...

Bottom line I was offered the job at MAC because I truly wanted to learn, I have learned, am still learning and always will. I tell her this, and then state that I have been waiting for a spot for 2 months so I can go to basic.

My managers have assured me that when a spot opens up I will go, and finally get the title of MAC Makeup Artist... It's in the mean time I can get expierience as a sales associate matching foundation, doing basic eyes, lips, etc...

Well she gets the application, and I turn it in. She wonders off into the mall, and the manager goes off to lunch. Well apparently this woman saw me talking to the manager, and when the manager is at lunch. This woman tracks them down, and starts a convo. I don't know what was said, but it was something along the lines of...

" I would make a great artist, I am certified, and can do a lot better then your 2 sales associates in your store... blah blah blah"

Bottom don't get rude and think your better then anyone especially the sales associates, many of us get the jobs as sales associates, until a position as an artist opens up. And also don't track the manager down while their on break, she came back and tore the application up, and threw it in the trash!

lsperry

When will they learn rudeness does not get you a job; only a boot out the door....this woman was dumb, dumb, dumb....Don't they know a mgr can see such arrogance would only spell trouble if they were to hire them? If they're rude to a potential co-worker, think how much trouble they will stir up when they get hired....

I work for a power company. A few years ago, an electrical engineer had been hired. His 1st day at work involved filling out forms, etc. He felt put upon, screamed at the secretary and demanded to see the supv. The supv. went to the office and told him that since he was so impatient and rude, he could leave and not come back. We hired the no. 2 guy....

astronaut

MACboi105, what's a MAC sales associate? I haven't heard of that before. I've only heard of permanent MAC artists and freelancers. I'm really dying to know!

productjunkie

I had this girl come up to me one day. She had makeup on - good job for that... but her attitude sucked!
She asked if we were hiring, I said "not at the moment, but we do have a girl leaving on maternity leave soon so drop of your resume and I will keep it aside"... I also tell her to drop her resume at a bunch of other counters close to her since its hard to get in this time of year.
Little do I know that she knows a girl that works at my counter... my friend comes in to work and tells me she knows this girl.
The girl had told her that I was "rude, and discouraging for telling her to drop of her resume elsewhere and that its hard to get a job at MAC"
The girl ended up getting a seasonal contract at another store but no one likes her and no one at my counter is calling her for on call work because of what happend.
When I try to be nice to you and actually encourage you to go to other counters as well and then you throw it in my face.... then you are totally not working at my counter.
Sorry for your luck.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronaut
MACboi105, what's a MAC sales associate? I haven't heard of that before. I've only heard of permanent MAC artists and freelancers. I'm really dying to know!

I would like to know as well .. especially since I work for MAC and have never heard of this title before.

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by productjunkie
I had this girl come up to me one day. She had makeup on - good job for that... but her attitude sucked!
She asked if we were hiring, I said "not at the moment, but we do have a girl leaving on maternity leave soon so drop of your resume and I will keep it aside"... I also tell her to drop her resume at a bunch of other counters close to her since its hard to get in this time of year.
Little do I know that she knows a girl that works at my counter... my friend comes in to work and tells me she knows this girl.
The girl had told her that I was "rude, and discouraging for telling her to drop of her resume elsewhere and that its hard to get a job at MAC"
The girl ended up getting a seasonal contract at another store but no one likes her and no one at my counter is calling her for on call work because of what happend.
When I try to be nice to you and actually encourage you to go to other counters as well and then you throw it in my face.... then you are totally not working at my counter.
Sorry for your luck.

ha-ha.jpg

Loveleighe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
I would like to know as well .. especially since I work for MAC and have never heard of this title before.

I'm not sure if this is what he means but when i applied to MAC because i didn't have cosmetics retail experience the manager first offered me a job as a sales assoc. meaning i would basically be working for slightly lower ay the the artists and still have sales goals to maintain but i would pretty much be just behind the register and she'd give me time to build up product knowdlege before i could actually do makeovers

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveleighe
I'm not sure if this is what he means but when i applied to MAC because i didn't have cosmetics retail experience the manager first offered me a job as a sales assoc. meaning i would basically be working for slightly lower ay the the artists and still have sales goals to maintain but i would pretty much be just behind the register and she'd give me time to build up product knowdlege before i could actually do makeovers

OH!

So, basically when someone is hired as a cashier. They can only ring up but not give any assistance or perform any makeup on customers. GOTCHA! They tend to hire "sales associates" or cashiers at higher volume stores and counters. Our store needs a cashier (especially on the weekends) because we get so busy some times and our lines to the register is a little ridiculous. Usually, I'll be the cashier when I've met my sales goal for that day but it is so hard at times because you have people waiting to be serviced and get their products. Urgh!

But thank you for answering the question! :]

chocolategoddes

"Did I mention that the only stitch of make-up she had on was a smear of some kind of white shadow across her NW55 lids? Not very attractive & definitley doesn't scream "I can do make-up" very well"

HA! that made me smile. This is really helpful and encouraging b/c I think I would make an alright MAC employee. IS IT BAD FOR A MAC EMPLOYEE TO WEAR PRODUCTS OTHER THAN MAC WHILE SHE/HE IS WORKING? I OWN LOTS OF MAC BUT I HAVE TO SAY I USE OTHER LINES AS WELL.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
HA! that made me smile. This is really helpful and encouraging b/c I think I would make an alright MAC employee. IS IT BAD FOR A MAC EMPLOYEE TO WEAR PRODUCTS OTHER THAN MAC WHILE SHE/HE IS WORKING? I OWN LOTS OF MAC BUT I HAVE TO SAY I USE OTHER LINES AS WELL.

Hm, aren't you the one that made a comment in another thread about the older women who work for MAC are, hm what did you type, "brothel mothers" or something like that? IMHO, if you want to work for MAC you wouldn't have made that statement . . joking or not.

To answer your question with an obvious answer, yes it is bad to wear another brands product when you work for MAC. You work for MAC, you should be wearing MAC -- there is an employee discount for a reason, which aids in building your MAC collection. This is not to say that there are times when we MAC MAs do not wear something that is not MAC but you better be able to find a MAC substitute if a customer comes in and asks what you're wearing on your face that day.

Mandaz_Diamondz

Wow, some peopel are unbelievable! Sorry you guys have to put up with all that!

I have a question and hopefully this is the right place to ask- but can someone get *blacklisted* from MAC?

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
Hm, aren't you the one that made a comment in another thread about the older women who work for MAC are, hm what did you type, "brothel mothers" or something like that? IMHO, if you want to work for MAC you wouldn't have made that statement . . joking or not.

To answer your question with an obvious answer, yes it is bad to wear another brands product when you work for MAC. You work for MAC, you should be wearing MAC -- there is an employee discount for a reason, which aids in building your MAC collection. This is not to say that there are times when we MAC MAs do not wear something that is not MAC but you better be able to find a MAC substitute if a customer comes in and asks what you're wearing on your face that day.

Amen to that!

Another thing - if you're wearing an LE or discontinued shade that is not available any more, same deal. Be ready with a substitute from the current range so that you can make the sale!