How *NOT* to get hired at MAC

BeautyPsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipshock
OH!

So, basically when someone is hired as a cashier. They can only ring up but not give any assistance or perform any makeup on customers. GOTCHA! They tend to hire "sales associates" or cashiers at higher volume stores and counters. Our store needs a cashier (especially on the weekends) because we get so busy some times and our lines to the register is a little ridiculous. Usually, I'll be the cashier when I've met my sales goal for that day but it is so hard at times because you have people waiting to be serviced and get their products. Urgh!

But thank you for answering the question! :]

I don't think they only ring up, because MACboi said he helped her choose lipstick, and also he said his job would be helping people make selections, match them w/ foundation, etc... so I think the only thing they don't do is apply makeup.
There is one guy at my Macy's MAC that does this, I believe.

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Hm, aren't you the one that made a comment in another thread about the older women who work for MAC are, hm what did you type, "brothel mothers" or something like that? IMHO, if you want to work for MAC you wouldn't have made that statement . . joking or not.

To answer your question with an obvious answer, yes it is bad to wear another brands product when you work for MAC. You work for MAC, you should be wearing MAC -- there is an employee discount for a reason, which aids in building your MAC collection. This is not to say that there are times when we MAC MAs do not wear something that is not MAC but you better be able to find a MAC substitute if a customer comes in and asks what you're wearing on your face that day.

Thanks for answering, even though I sensed a little attitude in the response. I'm pretty sure I said MY DAD said that, not me. If anyone was offended by the "brothel" statement then... okay. I can't honestly say I'm sorry.

MACboi105

I work at one of the larger volume stores...

2 other girls and I are considered "Sales Associates" by our managers, and the other MUA. Our main job on the weekends is to try and keep as much pressure off the MUA as possible. For instance, if someone just needs help picking out a foundation, interested in lipsticks, eye shadows, etc...

We can also apply makeup as our comfort level sees fit. I cannot and will not attempt a "makeover" yet, but I can apply foundation, basic eye shadow, lipstick, inform the customer how best to use their protects etc. Our pay is lower then that of the MUA. My manager offered me this position because wanted to work for MAC, but I had no prior cosmetic of retail expierience. I feel that I learn a a great deal this way, and it will make me a much better MUA when the times comes...

ZoeFerret

Those are funny! I don't understand what some people are thinking. It's like I want to work for the Gap and come in wearing clothes from Hot Topic! I would love to work for MAC but can't give up my benefits, hours and pay @ for the cell phone company I work for now. Plus I hate looking for a job and the hiring process. Not my cup of tea! Maybe someday
smiles.gif

ms.marymac

To random "applicant" from the other day: Ok, coming in with an attitude is one thing, but do you really think it's a good idea TO STEAL from the company you want to work for? I hope that tester had doo-doo residue on it.
nonono.gif

Loveleighe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.marymac
To random "applicant" from the other day: Ok, coming in with an attitude is one thing, but do you really think it's a good idea TO STEAL from the company you want to work for? I hope that tester had doo-doo residue on it.
nonono.gif

hahahah i cracked up with that one. that's such bull. i mean for one who steals makeup from a cosmetics counter ( let anyone anything from any place) and 2nd why would you steal something that has been used on hundreds of people. I mean it's probably been sanatized but still that's like chewing someone else's gum you found under the seat on the subway ( we'll not really but you get the point).stupid move applicant, even if you have a blast with whatever you stole i would hope that you'd never be allowed near a mac counter again.

Love Always Ivy

im so glad i read this thread.

i just found out theres a new FS store opening up in hte mall near my school. great timing since im at my wits end with my current job and leaving.

does anyone know how the process is with preopening hiring?

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy

i just found out theres a new FS store opening up in hte mall near my school. great timing since im at my wits end with my current job and leaving.

A new location is staffed from within the company. Either freelancers or current employees.

Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Always Ivy

Which mall are you talking about? I'm on Long Island too
smiles.gif

MisStarrlight

There's a MAC store opening in Smithhaven...if it hasn't already, and one just opened in Macy's Roosevelt Field in November.

Both stores are fully hired from people already within the company.

krt

Quote:
Hm, aren't you the one that made a comment in another thread about the older women who work for MAC are, hm what did you type, "brothel mothers" or something like that? IMHO, if you want to work for MAC you wouldn't have made that statement . . joking or not.

To answer your question with an obvious answer, yes it is bad to wear another brands product when you work for MAC. You work for MAC, you should be wearing MAC -- there is an employee discount for a reason, which aids in building your MAC collection. This is not to say that there are times when we MAC MAs do not wear something that is not MAC but you better be able to find a MAC substitute if a customer comes in and asks what you're wearing on your face that day.

Does the same go for when your applying? I mean, very rarely do I wear a full face of only MAC and I usually get complimented from the MAC workers when Im there on my makeup but surely they understand that some people that don't work there (yet) can't afford exclusively MAC products, if they ask what you have on?

calbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt
Does the same go for when your applying? I mean, very rarely do I wear a full face of only MAC and I usually get complimented from the MAC workers when Im there on my makeup but surely they understand that some people that don't work there (yet) can't afford exclusively MAC products, if they ask what you have on?

well you may actually want to wear a full face of MAC the day you decide to apply/ turn in a resume. I've been standing there when my manager asked an applicant (who was just there dropping off a resume) what her favorite MAC product was and she couldn't think of the name of one item...then my manager asked her what eyeshadows she was wearing and not one was a mac product. I really doubt that made a good impression on my manager.

You have to understand that we get 3 or 4 girls a day swearing up and down that they are the biggest MAC fans in the world, that they own everything MAC ever made and know more than any MAC employee. And they are usually the ones not wearing one MAC item.

So it is totally up to you what you want to wear when applying. You can try to fake it if you feel that's your best option but hope you don't get a manager that is a serious mac addict.

stacylynne

I actually know a lot of MAC girls at different counters. I was offered a job at MAC on the spot. I had to turn it down b/c I'm self employed & a freelance MUA. (I have no time or else I would love to)
The girls love me. They come running over to me every time i'm @ the counter (LOL). (They know I buy a lot of products).

If anyone is really interested in working for MAC, I agree 100% with the above, what not to do. O boy, I can't believe ppl ready do this when they're are trying to work for MAC or any cosmetic counter for that matter.

Good luck to all the girls & guys breaking into the makeup biz.

lara

"So, um, like, do you need any special skills or talent to work here? My mum wants me to get an after-school job."

eusa_eh.gif

LadyGina

This was really interesting! I had no idea that people that are interested in working for M.A.C. would act like this! You would think these people would use common sense when applying for this position. It just goes to show that although everyone should have common sense, there are some who don't.

I will admit that I have been a M.A.C. addict for the last 10 years at least, and yes I am interested in appyling for a position, again, I will admit that I have gone to the counter "barefaced", however, because of that reason, I didn't ask for an application, I figured I would do that on one of those times where my face is done "right", and then ask for the application, and turn in my resume.

nychick1384

Some of these mistakes people are making just seem really dumb. You would think that anyone with a basic knowledge of job hunting tactics would know a lot of these things. I guess I'm wrong.
bangdesk.gif

paparazziboy

We can also apply makeup as our comfort level sees fit. I cannot and will not attempt a "makeover" yet, but I can apply foundation, basic eye shadow, lipstick, inform the customer how best to use their protects etc. Our pay is lower then that of the MUA. My manager offered me this position because wanted to work for MAC, but I had no prior cosmetic of retail expierience. I feel that I learn a a great deal this way, and it will make me a much better MUA when the times comes...
wow this is the first im hearing of this.

i work for MAC im pretty new i have been with the company for a month. i had NO PRIOR COSMETIC OR RETAIL EXPERIENCE. i was a bartender. i interviewed for a freelance position and was offered permanent i do it all at my counter i kinda like the idea of the position but it also sounds like freelancing in a way. i do like that you are able to learn but do they give you the employee discount that we get or do u get to go to basic or update?

Meisje

I know most of the malls around here did their hiring in October, but back then, I thought I'd be doing a contract in November (which has since fallen through). Even if they've just done hiring, is it worthwhile to pass in a resume/application?

Chrystia

wow this is the first im hearing of this.
i work for MAC im pretty new i have been with the company for a month. i had NO PRIOR COSMETIC OR RETAIL EXPERIENCE. i was a bartender. i interviewed for a freelance position and was offered permanent i do it all at my counter i kinda like the idea of the position but it also sounds like freelancing in a way. i do like that you are able to learn but do they give you the employee discount that we get or do u get to go to basic or update?
We had a sales associate position at my previous store. THe benefits of the position are similar to the artists. The rate of pay is lower, but they do get employee discount, gratis, and go to BAsic and update. The position did not have a goal, but was still expected to make bookings for events etc. It can be really helpful on a busy Saturday to grab that one item for the lady just in for her one item.