How *NOT* to get hired at MAC

lilkay2nv

wow this is the first im hearing of this.
i work for MAC im pretty new i have been with the company for a month. i had NO PRIOR COSMETIC OR RETAIL EXPERIENCE. i was a bartender. i interviewed for a freelance position and was offered permanent i do it all at my counter i kinda like the idea of the position but it also sounds like freelancing in a way. i do like that you are able to learn but do they give you the employee discount that we get or do u get to go to basic or update?
i had no idea mac would hire without prior cosmetic or retail experience and honestly reading the rest of this thread has kind of encouraged me to go ask for an app the RIGHT way today lol I've been working with kids for years but I want to try something different, I went to mac today after class and applied. I went wearing all MAC makeup and all black clothes except for my leggings which were grey. thnx for all the informative info. i hope i get a call back bc i would love to be an SA.

SarahC0612

Agreed. There were ppl at my demo interview who had no makeup on, or were chewing gum (with mouth open), or hadn't bothered to do their hair, or not wearing all black. I could not BELIEVE my eyes! How can you go to an interview for Mac without your makeup done and your hair a mess? Why wouldn't you take every chance possible to showcase your talent? I felt like my own face was a perfect canvas to show them my skills. Also, they told us to wear all black - that was the instruction we were given specifically. So why the heck would you show up wearing anything but??? HELLO!!!! People just amaze me sometimes with their stupidity.

kanne

Agreed. There were ppl at my demo interview who had no makeup on, or were chewing gum (with mouth open), or hadn't bothered to do their hair, or not wearing all black. I could not BELIEVE my eyes! How can you go to an interview for Mac without your makeup done and your hair a mess? Why wouldn't you take every chance possible to showcase your talent? I felt like my own face was a perfect canvas to show them my skills. Also, they told us to wear all black - that was the instruction we were given specifically. So why the heck would you show up wearing anything but??? HELLO!!!! People just amaze me sometimes with their stupidity.
Ugh, is there anything more disgusting, offensive or arrogant than chewing gum at an interview? I would outright refuse to interview them and just ask them to leave. Gum is disgusting and rude at the best of times, let alone when you're trying to get employed.

/pet peeve

Beluce

Hi Everyone, I'm not really sure on how to use this website but I had a few questions I needed answered, but thats why I'm replying on here. I have no job experience and i love makeup, and i love Mac, and am pretty good with eye makeup but don't know much about overall makeup and i was wondering do i need a cosmetology license or anything to have a chance to be hired? If not they hire me and train me? And i dont think i would do any of the things you all said not to so i would be fine on that part, but what could i do to have a better chance to be hired? No work experience at all but i do great eyeshadow and i think if i learned more about makeup i would be a great employee.

Beluce

Oops i didn't read all the way through, i guess i got most of my questions answered by the second to last comment. Any kind of advice helps though, but i would like being more told on what TO do please.

LadyGina

Hey Beluce,

For more information on what to do to get hired, look up the thread called "Working for Cosmetic Retailers". You will find a variety of experiences from other artists that have been interviewed and they share the experience. I'm sure you will find some information there.

Oops i didn't read all the way through, i guess i got most of my questions answered by the second to last comment. Any kind of advice helps though, but i would like being more told on what TO do please.

VisibleBeauty

Question : I had an interview with Mac and she was very impressed by me and said she would love to hire me but she wanted to see how I would interact in macs environment do she said she would start me as a freelancer. She called me right back after the interview and told me she was very fond and was gonna pass my resumes to the counters near me and to go to my second interview. But she said not for me to call her and she was gonna call me basically my question us when should you usually hear back from Mac?