Hpv

SpareMyHeart

So im not sure if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move it.

So I had my gynological exam yesterday, and she mentioned the HPV vaccination everyone's been talking about lately.

So im just wondering what are your thoughts about this?
Would you take it?Have you already had them?

I still feel its a little premature for this type of shot because we really dont know the long term side effects.

:confused:

*Stargazer*

I'm outside the age parameters for this drug, but you bet your ass my daughters will be getting it the minute they reach the recommended age. If we can actually PREVENT cancer, why are we fighting it?

The fact that people are actually refusing to give their daughters this vaccine on the grounds that it will "promote sexual activity" makes me ill. If 1 in 4 women will be sexually assaulted before their 18th birthday, why would anyone think that they can keep their daughters safe by simply hoping they will remain virgins? And what's to say that a young virgin wife won't contract this from her new husband? This topic makes me so angry that I can't see straight.

Moppit

My daughter is 23 and she had the first of three shots on Monday. I explained to her that one episode of unprotected sex could lead to being infected with HPV and possibly one of the strains that could lead to cervical cancer.

I am dealing with the fact that I might have one of the strains that causes cervical cancer so I'm having a DNA test to find out if I do. If not then I'm taking the HPV shots myself.

I don't know if there will be longterm effects from this vaccine but I figure that since you can possibly get cervical cancer from not taking the vaccine how much worse could it be if you do take it?

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppit
I explained to her that one episode of unprotected sex could lead to being infected with HPV and possibly one of the strains that could lead to cervical cancer.

You can also get HPV and be having "protected", responsible sex. HPV transmission can occur even while using a condom because only the penis is covered by a condom and HPV can be transmitted from other regions in the genital area. Scary, huh?

I commend you for taking steps to help your daughter protect herself!

SpareMyHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppit

I am dealing with the fact that I might have one of the strains that causes cervical cancer so I'm having a DNA test to find out if I do. If not then I'm taking the HPV shots myself.

I truly hope everything turns out alright for you.

I think these vaccinations can at least help reduce our chances like I said eariler, testing them on a few thousands of girls/women is still too little for me not to worry about the chances of a negative side effect that we might not even be aware of until its too late.

I really hope thats not the case, maybe I just need to educate myself more on the topic.Its all really new to me.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
You can also get HPV and be having "protected", responsible sex. HPV transmission can occur even while using a condom because only the penis is covered by a condom and HPV can be transmitted from other regions in the genital area. Scary, huh?

And just the sheer fact that condoms can break.

I haven't read too much about the possible side effects or dangers, but nothing I've read makes me believe that it's dangerous to the point that you wouldn't get it.

I think when something like this is released, it's been screened very thoroughly. I imagine they started with rats or mice and then moved up to humans. I don't think something like this would be so widespread if they believed it were harmful

If I had a permanent job, I would definitely be getting it. I don't have the money for it right now.

medusalox

I'm going to ask about getting the HPV vaccine at my next gynecologist appointment, for sure. Anything I can do to better protect myself...I'm there!

SpareMyHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusalox
I'm going to ask about getting the HPV vaccine at my next gynecologist appointment, for sure. Anything I can do to better protect myself...I'm there!

Let us know how it goes!

macslut

Welcome to the world of another health scare. In all but (I think) 2 or 3% of cases, HPV clears on its own with no ill effects.

The thing is is that cervical cancer takes many many many as in up to 30 years to develop. Have regular paps and you don't have anything to worry about as if they do find something abnormal (and that rarely means cancer) in the pap, they can vaporize it off. If you look at incidents and all that, it is very rare.

I am outside the age but I would not get a vaccine that I don't need. Get regular paps and they will find it early enough. And speaking of which, it may not protect you against HPV or cervical cancer.

Merck is making alot of money though. Without insurance the series runs about $350. I have a feeling that is the motivating factor in "protecting all the girls and women against cancer".

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
HPV doesn't go away...IIRC.

You are correct. It's a virus and it goes dormant, but never leaves your body. It's in the same family as cold sores.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut
Welcome to the world of another health scare. In all but (I think) 2 or 3% of cases, HPV clears on its own with no ill effects.

The thing is is that cervical cancer takes many many many as in up to 30 years to develop. Have regular paps and you don't have anything to worry about as if they do find something abnormal (and that rarely means cancer) in the pap, they can vaporize it off. If you look at incidents and all that, it is very rare.

I am outside the age but I would not get a vaccine that I don't need. Get regular paps and they will find it early enough. And speaking of which, it may not protect you against HPV or cervical cancer.

Merck is making alot of money though. Without insurance the series runs about $350. I have a feeling that is the motivating factor in "protecting all the girls and women against cancer".

Counting on young women to have regular paps is like counting on young men to get tested for chlamydia just for shits and giggles...it ain't gonna happen.
And, vaporizing it off isn't as easy or in and out as one would think.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
And, vaporizing it off isn't as easy or in and out as one would think.

I've had that cryosurgery. It is not as easy as it sounds. I think it is highly irresonsible to say that if you have regular paps you have nothing to be worried about considering that women DO get cervical cancer after years of normal paps. Cervical cancer CAN take years to develop but it can also appear much more quickly than 30 years.

Quote:
Cancer Survivors, Doctors Say Politics Clouds HPV Vaccine Debate
By Jamie Stengle
The Associated Press

Monday 05 March 2007

Dallas - After being diagnosed with cervical cancer at age 35, Cheryl Swope Lieck underwent chemotherapy, radiation and eventually had a hysterectomy.

To her, supporting Gov. Rick Perry's mandate to get young girls vaccinated against the virus that causes most cases of cervical cancer makes sense.

"When people politicize things that ought not be politicized, it always astounds me," said Lieck, who is now 40, cancer free and planning to get her two daughters, ages 8 and 11, vaccinated.

Perry made national headlines last month by ordering that Texas schoolgirls going into sixth grade in 2008 be vaccinated against the human papilloma virus, or HPV, which causes most cases of cervical cancer and genital warts. Texas would be the first state in the U.S. to require the vaccine, but a number of other states are considering similar measures.

The result has been a political firestorm. Much of the opposition has come from Perry's fellow conservatives, who say vaccine requirement encourages pre-marital teenage sex and tramples parental rights.

Others agree that the vaccine is beneficial, but don't think it should be mandated by the state. Some think the vaccine - approved by the Food and Drug Administration in June - is still too new.

But politics aside, doctors say that the availability of a vaccine that can prevent cancer is something that at least merits a serious conversation between parents, their children and their doctor.

As a medical oncologist, Dr. Maurie Markman sees women with cervical cancer that has spread. He said his advice to friends and colleagues who ask about the vaccine for their daughters is simple: "Get them vaccinated. There is no other advice I can give. This is a profoundly effective cancer prevention strategy."

"My recommendation is very straightforward. It has nothing to do with politics," said Markman, vice president for clinical research at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. "I see what cervix cancer can do. I see the pain, the suffering ... the negative aspects of this disease. The importance of preventing it I can't possibly overstate."

About 25 million women in the U.S. - or about one in four who are ages 14 to 59 - are infected with at least one type of HPV, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About 3 million of those women are infected with one of the HPV strains that Gardasil - the new vaccine by Merck & Co. - protects against. Those strains account for 70 percent of cervical cancers and nearly all cases of genital warts.

About half of all men and women get an HPV infection at some point in their lives. While most overcome the infection on their own, the infection can lead to cervical cancer in women. It rarely causes cancer in men.

The American Cancer Society estimates that this year, about 11,150 U.S. women will be diagnosed with invasive cervical cancer. About 3,700 women will die.

A CDC advisory committee recommends the vaccine for girls ages 11 and 12. It's permissible for girls from age 9 to 26.

"A doctor who is treating a patient should offer this vaccine to their patients as a standard of practice," said CDC spokesman Curtis Allen.

Dr. Janet Realini, a public health expert in San Antonio, said that people are confusing whether they are for or against the mandate with whether they are for or against the vaccine.

"I think it's clear that we should be for the vaccine," she said. "The part where there's disagreement is: 'Is it time to mandate it?'"

The political debate means that "everyone's emotions are so high that the negativity has spilled over to the vaccine," she said.

Doctors scoff at the notion that getting the vaccine will encourage sexual activity, pointing out that there are many other sexually transmitted diseases to worry about, in addition to pregnancy.

"It's not really about sex. It's about vaccinating someone against a disease," said Realini, medical director of the family planning program for the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District.

"This doesn't mean people will run out to have sex," said Realini, also medical director for Project Worth, a public education program that focuses on areas of the city with high rates of teen pregnancy.

"If you think your daughter is going to make the right decisions, great, help her make the right decisions, but don't deny her the vaccine," Realini said.

Doctors point out that even if a woman does not have sex until marriage, her husband could carry the virus and pass it to her. Also, no one can predict divorce or widowhood.

About half of women who get cervical cancer haven't had a recent pap test, said Allen. Such tests can often - but not always - detect early any abnormal cells that could lead to cervical cancer.

For that reason, low-income women who are uninsured or can't afford annual checkups are especially at risk for the disease.

Lieck, a county attorney in Chambers County in southeast Texas, said she hadn't even heard of HPV when she was diagnosed with cervical cancer. Lieck, who said she's always had insurance and never missed a yearly Pap test, said that before she was diagnosed with cervical cancer, all her pap tests came back normal.

"All of this didn't have to happen," said Lieck, who has been married for 15 years.

She said that protecting girls from the pain she went through should be above any political agenda.

"Absolutely we should teach abstinence, but we should also do everything we can to protect them," Lieck said.

*Stargazer*

My main concern with young women getting this vaccine is that the people who are the most likely to develop cervical cancer are those who don't have the means to see a gyno on a regular basis for a pap.

So if we can prevent many low income young women from getting the strains of HPV that cause cervical cancer with this vaccine, then I think it should be subsidized by state govts.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
My main concern with young women getting this vaccine is that the people who are the most likely to develop cervical cancer are those who don't have the means to see a gyno on a regular basis for a pap.

So if we can prevent many low income young women from getting the strains of HPV that cause cervical cancer with this vaccine, then I think it should be subsidized by state govts.

Basically a low income woman isn't going to be able to afford the HPV vaccination. And if I were a doctor I would seriously be talking about a woman taking care of herself and getting regular tests that are needed before I would give a vaccination that has not been studied enough. I don't want it subsidized by the state. That would mean they get to breathe down my neck more than they already do. I don't want that.

My mother had her abnormal cells frozen off. And it isn't easy. No one said it was. But it sure as hell is alot easier then letting them fester into cancer.

I also don't understand why when someone is against something such as a vaccine, they are politizing it. The only thing I am politizing is the $350 pricetag. If Merck and all their politic constiuents cared some much about young women and girls, give it away for free.

It was an interesting article, I have heard most of it. Welcome to the health scare.

*Stargazer*

I'd rather the state paid for that vaccine for low income women than the health care costs when some of those same low income women develop full blown cervical cancer.

I think the politicizing aspect (at least in the sense that this article and people like myself are saying) actually comes from the fact that very few people complained that making the chicken pox vaccine mandatory was intrusive, but because HPV is sexually acquired, people are batshit crazy screaming about how intrusive it is to require it for school admission (despite the fact that you could object on religious grounds and get a waiver). I believe that Merck also did make offers to provide the vaccine for low income patients through the state at prices lower than the price private insurance would be paying.

I am 17 years old and my doctor recomended getting it so we did. My dad used to work for the federal government so we have really really good health insurence (blue cross blue shield). Health insurence didn't cover any of the cost which is $150 PER shot. So it comes out to be $450 + any fees your physician may charge.

I live in VA and they are currently fighting to get a bill passed that requires all females to be vaccinated before entering the 6th grade. It will be a required vaccine like hepetitus currently is. I heard that there may be a way to opt out through parental request that their child not recieve that vaccine. So far the bill has passed committe I believe, and there is significant support for it so it looks like it may be passed.

Moppit

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut

It definitely does not go away! I have had 3 paps with irregular cells and last time had a biopsy taken of the cells. The Dr. thought everything looked ok in Jan but I just got the results and there are more irregular cells so 'vaporizing' it off doesn't just fix the problem.