Hpv

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleyGirl
Thats a horribly unfair comment to make, given that a lot of people don't have health insurance because their company won't provide it (mine doesn't). I happen to be very lucky because my mom pays for mine, and even if she didn't I would still have the money to pay for this particular vaccine out of my own pocket. There are a lot of people out there who probably don't however, and they are not being selfish, they just can't damn well afford it.

Eh... It's your children, people make things happen if they want too. Even low income families have disposable income. And I'm sure parents if they wanted to could not spend money on alcohol, cigarette's, or other treats for a few months to pay for their children's health if they really wanted too.

GalleyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Eh... It's your children, people make things happen if they want too. Even low income families have disposable income. And I'm sure parents if they wanted to could not spend money on alcohol, cigarette's, or other treats for a few months to pay for their children's health if they really wanted too.

I agree, if its for one's children, you can make some sacrifices (and in fact are obligated to as a parent). And having to pay $150 out of my own pocket for the first shot (still waiting to see if insurance will reimburse) definitely made me reevaluate how I spend my money on frivalous things. But I think there are some really unfortunate souls out there (maybe they are taking care of a sick parent, or supporting other elderly family members) who don't make enough extra income to pay $300 + for something like this.

Dark_Phoenix

I had the Gardasil vaccination already :p
I'm not sexually active (my parents are super-moral, and super-religious ... I'd never be allowed out of the house again if I had sex before marriage. I'm atheist, but I have no desire to EVER have sex before marriage.)

But anyways, my mother wanted me to get it "just in case". I really don't care, they weren't that painful (I get allergy shots once a week). I don't know if insurrance covered it because I didn't pay for it, my mother did.

Personally, I think the HPV vaccination should be made part of the marriage ceremony! Like "you may now innoculate the bride". This shot is going to encourage sex in morally loose girls... like after I got my tetanus shot I couldn't help but keep chewing on rusty nails.

(If you didn't notice my satirical, flawed logic go watch Colbert Report. I credit them.).

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Frost
I had the Gardasil vaccination already :p
I'm not sexually active (my parents are super-moral, and super-religious ... I'd never be allowed out of the house again if I had sex before marriage. I'm atheist, but I have no desire to EVER have sex before marriage.)

Men (AKA Priests) dont want you to have sex before marriage so you wont know how bad they are and dump them =p

I mean c'mon, I doubt i'm the only one to break up with a guy because he was bad in bed =p

Shimmer

There are female ministers too.
smiles.gif

Dark_Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Men (AKA Priests) dont want you to have sex before marriage so you wont know how bad they are and dump them =p

I mean c'mon, I doubt i'm the only one to break up with a guy because he was bad in bed =p

I don't want to have sex because I don't want the relationship complications, or medical consequences of sex before marriage. It isn't a religion thing.

I go to an all-girls boarding school, and I know alot of girls who do have sex and have dealt with pregnancies, STD's and changes in relationships after sex... and I don't want that. I'm not sheltered - just making a choice to not have sex of any kind before marriage.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Frost
I go to an all-girls boarding school, and I know alot of girls who do have sex and have dealt with pregnancies, STD's and changes in relationships after sex... and I don't want that. I'm not sheltered - just making a choice to not have sex of any kind before marriage.

So what happens if once you get Married and have sex, your relationship changes? That doesn't worry you? I totally agree that relationships change, sometimes (hopefully) it's for the better, but sometimes it's not. Granted your young still, and I totally respect your decision to abstain, i was a Virgin till 18 myself. If you go to an all girls school, your probably not that expierenced in relationships. Life happens
winks.gif
Thats all I'm gonna say.

And not to be cynical, but Marriage doesn't prevent you from getting STD'd. Your partner could be carrying STD's and not know it (like HPV). Or he could be unfaithful, and bring STD's into your relationship.

And Pregnancy is mostly preventable if you choose to have sex responsibly. Granted Abstinence is the only 100% effective method to not get pregnant. But birth control and condom usage, and the morning after pill, are fairly reliable at preventing pregnancy if used correctly.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
There are female ministers too.
smiles.gif

Really depends on what religion were talking about
winks.gif

And typically, when all the rules about what you can and cannot do, were created, only men were in charge, at least if were speaking of the big 3.

SandMantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareMyHeart
I am,I get my pap tests done every year, but im not about to jump on something thats so new without knowing how its going to affect me in the long run.Ya it MIGHT help prevent cancer, but who's to say my body wont react to it in a negative way and then i'll have something else i'll need to deal with.
Im not going to put something in my body im not sure of.Yes I understand nothing in life is certain, I want to believe its for the greater good, but its just too early to know.

Are there ANY documented side effects of the vaccine? What long-term side effects do we have documented from any vaccines? I haven't heard of one yet (pertaining to HPV), but I haven't done much research. I can do some later this weekend or next week.
Seriously, I don't understand hesitation to get a vaccine. I also don't understand how it's almost more worth the risk to you of getting HPV, with all its negative consequences, than the vaccine. I'd imagine the chances of any negative side effects from the vaccine are pretty low, but I can look into it.
I need to get vaccinated, and I plan on doing that ASAP. Yes, it's expensive, but research and development of medical procedures is extremely expensive, and time and labor consuming.

lvgz

i have a few questions:
is the only way of getting hpc through sex?.. or what. any physical contact? and how do guys get the virus anyway?
and what side effects has there been of the vaccination?

LMcConnell18

all i have to say is...
"one less".
one less mother
one less sister
one less friend
that will have to fight for their lives.
oh!
and "dont wait to vaccinate!"
[get the shot!]

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macslut
Welcome to the world of another health scare. In all but (I think) 2 or 3% of cases, HPV clears on its own with no ill effects.

The thing is is that cervical cancer takes many many many as in up to 30 years to develop. Have regular paps and you don't have anything to worry about as if they do find something abnormal (and that rarely means cancer) in the pap, they can vaporize it off. If you look at incidents and all that, it is very rare.

I am outside the age but I would not get a vaccine that I don't need. Get regular paps and they will find it early enough. And speaking of which, it may not protect you against HPV or cervical cancer.

Merck is making alot of money though. Without insurance the series runs about $350. I have a feeling that is the motivating factor in "protecting all the girls and women against cancer".

See, if you get HPV once, you carry it for life, and you can spread it with no symptoms.
A pap smear won't protect you from anything.
Evem if you get papillomas lasered off, you still have the virus.

I am too old for the vaccine, but you bet your life I would run and get it if I could. I did pay for the hepatitis B series, and it was well worth it. ANything I can do to protect my health-sure. I've been vaccinated against all sorts of diseases! I'm careful, but you never know how you will be exposed.

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl005
does anyone know if you can get the vaccine while you're on the depo-provera shot? that's what i was wondering.

It's fine to do so!

Kuuipo

Gardasil

From Vincent Iannelli, M.D.,
Your Guide to Pediatrics.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by Kate Grossman, MD
Gardasil Basics: Gardasil is a new vaccine being made by Merck & Co., Inc. and which has been approved by the FDA to prevent cervical cancer in females between the ages of 9 and 26 years of age.

What Gardasil Is Used For: Gardasil is a vaccine against the HPV or Human Papillomavirus. The Gardasil vaccine protects recipients against 4 types of HPV, including the two types that cause most cervical cancers and the two types that cause the most genital warts.

HPV Facts:
HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that causes genital warts, abnormal Pap tests, and cervical cancer.
  • About 20 million people are infection with HPV in the United States and almost 3,700 women die of cervical cancer in the US each year.
  • Since many people have no symptoms and not even know that they are infected with HPV, they can pass on their HPV infection to their sexual partners without knowing.
  • There is no cure for HPV infections.
Gardasil Facts:
Gardasil won't prevent all forms of genital warts or cervical cancers, but it is highly effective at preventing genital warts and cervical cancers that are caused by the types of HPV that the vaccine targets.
  • Gardasil will be given as a three dose series completed over 6 months.
Who Should Get Gardasil: Since Gardasil prevents HPV, a sexually transmitted disease, it is important that it be given before people become sexually active. In fact, the ACIP recommends that Gardasil be routinely given to girls when they are 11 or 12 years of age. Gardasil can be started as early as age 9 though, and can also be given to women 13 to 26 years old.

Gardasil Side Effects: According to the CDC, so far in testing, 'there appear to be no serious side effects. The most common side effect is brief soreness at the injection site.'

Gardasil Controversy: Some experts think that Gardasil may lead to controversy because some parents will have problems thinking about giving a vaccine against a STD to pre-teens. Other parents might not want a vaccine against a STD at all, believing that their children could not be at risk. And still others think that Gardasil might encourage promiscuity, since it could foster the belief that it protects against STDs.

What You Need To Know:
  • Gardasil is not a 'STD vaccine' in the sense that it prevents all STDs. It simply provides protection against certain types of HPV, but not other STDs, such as HIV or herpes.
  • Cervarix is another HPV vaccine that is being developed by GlaxoSmithKline.
References:
  • Genital HPV Infection - CDC Fact Sheet.
  • HPV Vaccine - CDC Fact Sheet.
  • CDC Cervical Cancer Screening Fact Sheet.
  • Immunization against genital human papillomaviruses. Bonnez W - Pediatr Infect Dis J - 01-NOV-2005; 24(11): 1005-6.
Updated: April 21, 2007

Pediatric Resources

New Vaccines for TeensKids and the FluVaccine Information Statements

Immunization Resources

Immunization ScheduleImmunization QuizImmunizations

HPV Vaccine

CervarixHPV VaccineHuman Papillomavirus Vaccine

Related Articles

GardisilCervarixGardasil Effectiveness - Study Shows Gardasil to Be Hig...GardasilHPV Controversy

if(zp[12].d){w('');Dsp(zp[12],'ip');w('
')}if(zp[13].d){w('');Dsp(zp[13],'ip');w('
')}zISblo=this.zISblo?this.zISblo:0;if(zSbL

Kuuipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgz
i have a few questions:
is the only way of getting hpc through sex?.. or what. any physical contact? and how do guys get the virus anyway?

You can get it through oral sex-in the back of the throat and the oral cavity. They are also mucus membranes-and around the anus. If they are vaporized through laser surgery (I have worked in an OR lasering off condylomas-venereal warts-and if the goggles and mask do not fit tightly the healthcare worker can get it in the nose and eyes)

SparklingWaves

So many don't know how many sexually diseases you can get via the oral and/or rectal route. They think it's safe sex, because they can't get pregnant.

This as you so well pointed out is just one of them.

Evey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgz
i have a few questions:

HPV is contracted through skin to skin contact during sex whether it's vaginal, anal, or oral. You can also contract HPV by just "rubbing" your genitalia with someone who is infected with HPV although, this method is less-likely to spread the virus it is still possible. Using a condom can help reduce the risk of passing it on but, you can still contract the virus as condoms do not cover all parts of your genitals. Some people never show signs of the virus so it's important that you use condoms, EVERY time. Something is better than nothing...Guys get the virus the same way women do, through sexual contact. And another thing, there is no test for men for HPV so if your partner tells you that he's "all clear" it's a lie. Just because he has never had a breakout(genital warts) does not mean that he does not have the virus.

Always protect yourself and love yourself more...a man who talks you into not using a condom because "it doesn't feel the same", "because if you really loved him you would do it", and my favorite "because I can't find condoms big enough to fit comfortably" doesn't care about you or your health/well-being...no amount of pleasure is worth your health.

Evey

and another thing....I think it's about time we start educating kids about safe sex...and I'm not just talking about not getting pregnant. There are so many kids, teens, and even adults that have no idea how many types of STD's there are out there. I've seen a lot of young women that think that just because you're on the pill that you're all gravy. Never stopping to think that by not protecting themselves by using condoms they are exposing themselves to all kinds of horrible diseases. I think it's time parents stop being so damn blind and start teaching their kids about std's. It's such a taboo subject though and it shouldn't be. They think that by talking to their kids about sex or in this case taking their daughters to get vaccinated against this virus that they are giving the "ok" to have sex which is totally ridiculous because whether you get your daughter vaccinated or not she is going to go out and have sex if she wants to, whether you approve of it or not. So why not protect her as much as you can? Kids are starting to have sex at younger and younger ages. I see 9 year olds who have had sex with more than one partner already...NINE YEAR OLDS! If 80% of the population is currently infected with HPV what does that hold for our children in the future? Why not protect them now? Some peoples logic just boggles my mind...I wish my parents had talked to me about sex, pregnancy, and std's instead of just telling me to wait until I get married...If I knew half the shit I know now back then, I would still be a virgin today. Seriously...this shit is enough to scare anybody into abstinence, at least it would have scared me...