Hpv

GalleyGirl

I'm afraid to get it, because I'm 26, and I know they'll make me take a test first - and what if it turns out I have it? I already have an anxiety disorder, I don't need this to worry about too.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleyGirl
I'm afraid to get it, because I'm 26, and I know they'll make me take a test first - and what if it turns out I have it? I already have an anxiety disorder, I don't need this to worry about too.

Not to be flip, but would you rather have cancer than worry about the results of an HPV test? Even if you already have it, chances are you can be treated for it successfully.

franimal

It is so common, me and me two best friends have been diagnosed with it. I dont really trust the shot since it just came out but it is so probable that you will come into contact with this virus that it might be worth it. My gyno lady said that if you dont smoke, it is highly unlikely to develop cervical cancer from the virus. It is pretty rare to develop cancer from it but it is just a precaution. I would get it if I could get it really cheap. My friend tried to get it without insurance and it would cost $2,700 for the set of three shots. If you have insurance, I would recommend it since the chances of coming into contact with the virus are extraodinarily high.

Beauty Mark

Quote:

If you have HPV, you need to find out. It's very dangerous for you, and it's not fair to any sexual partners to spread it because you didn't want to find out.

SpareMyHeart

Quote:

thats exactly what im worried about

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by franimal
My gyno lady said that if you dont smoke, it is highly unlikely to develop cervical cancer from the virus. It is pretty rare to develop cancer from it but it is just a precaution. I would get it if I could get it really cheap. My friend tried to get it without insurance and it would cost $2,700 for the set of three shots.

I have never, ever heard that it is unlikely non-smokers will develop cervical cancer from HPV. And where on earth is your friend going that someone is trying to charge her $900 a shot? The three set shot should cost around $360.

GalleyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
Not to be flip, but would you rather have cancer than worry about the results of an HPV test? Even if you already have it, chances are you can be treated for it successfully.

Treated for it how? There is no cure for HPV, so all you could do is get your regular paps, which I do anyway.

GalleyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
If you have HPV, you need to find out. It's very dangerous for you, and it's not fair to any sexual partners to spread it because you didn't want to find out.

IIRC, men don't suffer from any HPV related complications.

Moppit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareMyHeart
thats exactly what im worried about

You are going to wonder and worry if you have HPV so wouldn't you rather find out so the worry can stop? If you don't have HPV then take precautions going forward and if you do then you can deal with it so that it doesn't lead to cervical cancer.

You need to be proactive with your health and the health of your partners. Don't stick your head in the sand where your health is concerned.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Treated for it how? There is no cure for HPV, so all you could do is get your regular paps, which I do anyway.

If you have HPV and your pap smears are abnormal, there are treatments. If you have one of the non-cancer causing strains then there is nothing you can do about it. Having one strain of the virus also does not make you immune to any of the other 100 or so strains.

Quote:
Does it do me any good to be immunized if I've already had HPV or if I have it now?

Women up to age 26 should be vaccinated regardless, advises the CDC committee. That's partly because experts aren't certain whether having had one strain of the virus gives you total immunity against reinfection by that strain. Also, getting the shot will protect you against any of the included strains that you haven't had already, according to Richard M. Haupt, executive medical director at Merck.

The CDC committee recommended immunization for women previously infected with HPV despite conflicting findings on the likelihood of their developing cervical lesions. In one of Merck's studies, previously infected women who received the vaccine had higher rates of precancerous lesions than those in the placebo group; in two other studies, previously infected women in the vaccine group had slightly lower rates of precancerous lesions than did those in the placebo group.

Because most people will get HPV at some time -- though they may never be aware of it -- routine testing for the virus is not recommended. A DNA test for the virus is FDA-approved for women older than 30; the test is also approved for women of any age whose Pap tests show abnormalities.

HPV can in fact cause anal and penile cancer in men, although it is rare. And it causes genital warts, which men get as well. So men DO suffer HPV related complications.

Quote:
Don't men and boys need to be vaccinated, too?

That would seem to make good sense, said Noller, to further limit the spread of the virus and to prevent rare cancers caused by the virus in men. Both vaccine manufacturers plan to study their vaccines for use in males, but at this point, they are only approved for women and girls. There is currently no approved method to test for HPV in men, and no tests are approved for early detection of HPV-linked cancers in men, reports the ACS. ·

Quotes from:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071700955.html

Raerae

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070315/...LWRE5BC.3MWM0F

My 2 cents...

Get the shot... Your being selfish if your in the eligible age bracket and dont get it. It's not just about cervical cancer... it's about stopping the spread of the virus, and also warts are gross...

And the person who said men dont suffer any complications... While thats not true, what about the next girl he sleeps with. Your basically helping infect all his future partners. Pretty selfish if you think about it.

Moppit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
I have never, ever heard that it is unlikely non-smokers will develop cervical cancer from HPV. And where on earth is your friend going that someone is trying to charge her $900 a shot? The three set shot should cost around $360.

I was wondering the same about that high cost. The first injection I picked up for my daughter was $165 and a few cents and that is in Cdn funds. It also includes the $8.99 prescription filling fee. Total cost for the 3 shots is about $500Cdn. My drug plan will reimburse me for the whole cost.

I think that girl should check out a different pharmacy!

SpareMyHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppit
You are going to wonder and worry if you have HPV so wouldn't you rather find out so the worry can stop? If you don't have HPV then take precautions going forward and if you do then you can deal with it so that it doesn't lead to cervical cancer.

You need to be proactive with your health and the health of your partners. Don't stick your head in the sand where your health is concerned.

I am,I get my pap tests done every year, but im not about to jump on something thats so new without knowing how its going to affect me in the long run.Ya it MIGHT help prevent cancer, but who's to say my body wont react to it in a negative way and then i'll have something else i'll need to deal with.
Im not going to put something in my body im not sure of.Yes I understand nothing in life is certain, I want to believe its for the greater good, but its just too early to know.

SpareMyHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae

My 2 cents...

Get the shot... Your being selfish if your in the eligible age bracket and dont get it. It's not just about cervical cancer... it's about stopping the spread of the virus, and also warts are gross...

And the person who said men dont suffer any complications... While thats not true, what about the next girl he sleeps with. Your basically helping infect all his future partners. Pretty selfish if you think about it.

Thats exactly why its SO SO SO SO SOOOO important to be careful, so many young people are running around sleeping with anyone they can get their hands on.Its ridiculous and quite sad really. We really need to sit down and think about what we're doing to the next generation.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpareMyHeart
Thats exactly why its SO SO SO SO SOOOO important to be careful, so many young people are running around sleeping with anyone they can get their hands on.Its ridiculous and quite sad really. We really need to sit down and think about what we're doing to the next generation.

I really doubt people are sleeping with each other any more or less than they ever were...

And as I mentioned b4, and in other threads. Younger people are having safer sex than ever, pregnancy rates are down, and condom use is up.

Feel free to look at the 2005 numbers they were released a few months back from the Center for Diseases or whatever.

Beauty Mark

Even if you're not sleeping around, you still can get infected. Your partner might not know that s/he has something, if s/he never gets tested.

I don't know if people are sleeping around more now than in the past. It's hard to tell, because no one was running statistics about it (and statistics are so easy to manipulate anyway). Even if a woman got pregnant back "then" and had a child, some women straight up abandoned their kids or left them to die.

The main difference between the past and the current time is that we're more aware of sex and blatant about it.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
The main difference between the past and the current time is that we're more aware of sex and blatant about it.

Totally agree with this... A lot of things look like they are happening more, not because they are, but because people are less discrete about it then in the past.

GalleyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae

Your being selfish if your in the eligible age bracket and dont get it.

Thats a horribly unfair comment to make, given that a lot of people don't have health insurance because their company won't provide it (mine doesn't). I happen to be very lucky because my mom pays for mine, and even if she didn't I would still have the money to pay for this particular vaccine out of my own pocket. There are a lot of people out there who probably don't however, and they are not being selfish, they just can't damn well afford it.

GalleyGirl

In case anyone is curious, I went to my doctor today, and got the first of the series of shots. I had a talk with him that was very informative, and this is what I learned:
- You don't need an HPV test (or he doesn't require one anyway), before you get the vaccine.
-Even if you have HPV, you should still get the vaccine because there are 4 cancer-causing strains, and you can still be immunized against the strains you don't have
-He said he has patients in the 30's who should probably get the shot, the only reason for the age bracket is because it has yet to be tested for ages above 26
-Its actually a rather expensive thing for the doctors to carry. This came up when I mentioned to the nurse that I had to call 3 different gyno offices to find one who carried the vaccine. (and I live in Los Angeles, not some podunk town).