i dislike NARS

HOTasFCUK

I'm soooo paranoid when i wear my lipsticks now, i always sniff them to make sure they don't smell like crayons or i'll be sick from the smell.

Shadowy Lady

The smell of their lipsticks doesn't bother me. I have several of them in satin, matte and sheer finish as well as matte velvet pencils and they are fine. I don't like how their lipglosses smell though and that's prob why I only got one: Risky Business

Addicted2Shadow

I wanted to try their duo in Rated R but the Sephora I went to was completely out of it. But after reading this thread not so sure I want to try it.
ssad.gif

Mabelle

i still have a tota love hate relationship with nars.
some days i love their shadows, some days (like today) i just think they are so fickle! i have a couple now; meckong, galapagos, night porter, euradyice duo and ondine.
the only one that i have no trouble with ever is ondine. everyother one is so damn temper mental. they all need diffrent coloured/textured bases. with galapagos i need to put a copper base; lucky 24/7 pencil or the copper grease paint from mufe. even then i find all the glitters dont show up and i end up patting some reflects bronze on top. Mekong is even worse, it needs a reddish brown cream base, but even then, the shimmer can be so subtle that is just looks dark brown. Night porter works alright with a gps in black or a green base, depending on the look you want. Euradyice looks like crap over everything. And the mind you start bending these out they loose their magic. they become so muddy and BLAH!!! now maybe its the colours i reach for, dark colours with diffrent colours glitters.... but christ for near 30$ a shadow can you just work?!?
i know they can be used wet, but even wet they are no where near as nice as in the pan or when swatched on the finger. Are they as dissapointed as Beauty Mark? No. But i payed almost half the price for that p.o.s.
I feel so limited when i wear these colours. like i can on ever wear them on the lid, because i would have to blend them too much if i wore them in the crease...

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Shadow
I wanted to try their duo in Rated R but the Sephora I went to was completely out of it. But after reading this thread not so sure I want to try it.
ssad.gif

I now have about 10 of their e/ duos and love them all. I have Eurydice, Pandora, Jolie Poupee, Cheyenne, South Pacific, Rajasthan, Scorching Sun, Cordura, Habanera and Star Sailor. I'm gonna get Persepolis (just for the name), Brousee and Earth Angel soon too. On me they are all pigmented, I wear them over MAC paint pots.

I would not go just by some ppl's bad experience, make sure u swatch them in perspn. In my exprience their duos are better than their singles, except for Bali single which is an HG of mine
yes.gif

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
I now have about 10 of their e/ duos and love them all. I have Eurydice, Pandora, Jolie Poupee, Cheyenne, South Pacific, Rajasthan, Scorching Sun, Cordura, Habanera and Star Sailor. I'm gonna get Persepolis (just for the name), Brousee and Earth Angel soon too. On me they are all pigmented, I wear them over MAC paint pots.

I would not go just by some ppl's bad experience, make sure u swatch them in perspn. In my exprience their duos are better than their singles, except for Bali single which is an HG of mine
yes.gif

I agree 100%. I actually unsubscribed from this thread, b/c it's so depressing
nope.gif
I love Nars, so it's hard to read ppl's negative experiences, esp those that might influence someone else, sight unseen.
th_dunno.gif

sambibabe

I hated NARS shadows yesterday, but love them today.
I know it sounds stupid, but it is absolute truth! Bought Jolie Poupee, which looks gorgeous in the pan, but looked so ugly on my lids. Texture is chalky, a bit muddy and it is not pigmented enough.. But then a year later, I decided to try it on again and hello! Is it the same Jolie Poupee I hated before? I don't know.. I must have worked out how to work them, or my new Dior skincare stuff are working miracles and everything on me look fabulous now.. Anyway, I went and bought more and I think I want all their shadows!

switchblade

One thing about NARS that turns me off is the packaging -- it really gets dusty after a while and it's difficult to keep the compacts clean. I also hope they make refillable palettes for their e/s.

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektra513
I agree 100%. I actually unsubscribed from this thread, b/c it's so depressing
nope.gif
I love Nars, so it's hard to read ppl's negative experiences, esp those that might influence someone else, sight unseen.
th_dunno.gif

Lol, I know I get offended when ppl hate stuff I love
tong.gif
. Though I know different products work for different ppl, but I think ppl should at least try something before hating it, hehe!

Nars is hands down my fave cosmetic brand. I never bought anything I didn't like.

MzzRach

I love the NARS line, except for the fact that almost every tube of lipstick I have ever purchased has gone bad/off within a year. So I no longer buy NARS lipstick, but I think, hands down, they make the best blush in the business. Their blush range is magnificent.

Mabelle

^ i dont know what is up with this!!
Seriously they have SO many gorgeous lipstick colours, but i cant do the crayon smell anymore. Same with the glosses. They need to sort that out! I tried Mitzi on yesterday with Ophelia gloss and BOTH had the crayon smell goin' on, it was a deadly combo, which was too bad cause the look of the combo was so nice
ssad.gif

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade
One thing about NARS that turns me off is the packaging -- it really gets dusty after a while and it's difficult to keep the compacts clean. I also hope they make refillable palettes for their e/s.

The packaging is made to protect the product. NARS products are highly pigmented and don't have as many binders as less pigmented products so they are more fragile. A baby wipe with alcohol or a little makeup remover will do the trick, or you could just use a makeup removing wipe.

Mabelle

I actually love the packaging. I think it does just seem to eat up stray powders, but when its clean it looks so chic and delish
winks.gif

It is quite easy to clean, i use wet wipes
smiles.gif

Miss QQ

Does Turkish Delight have the crayon smell? What about the matte velvet lip crayons? I'm thinking of asking my friend to get the gloss and lip crayon when she goes overseas as Nars is not available here. If the lip products have the smell then I will pass. I want one or two blushes and maybe an e/s duo.

Mabelle

^ the glosses do have the smell. Well, honestly, i have one that doesnt. i think it depends on each one. I personally believe it has something to do with exposure to the lights/heat coming off of them on the gondola as the light source i directly above the product. she can always give your gloss a sniff before she buys it.
the pencils do not smell.
only some glosses/lipsticks

Redaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
I actually love the packaging. I think it does just seem to eat up stray powders, but when its clean it looks so chic and delish
winks.gif

It is quite easy to clean, i use wet wipes
smiles.gif

I totally agree! Everyone complains about the packaging but I love it!

Redaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
I love the NARS line, except for the fact that almost every tube of lipstick I have ever purchased has gone bad/off within a year. So I no longer buy NARS lipstick, but I think, hands down, they make the best blush in the business. Their blush range is magnificent.

This is really interesting. Maybe the lipstick I bought had gone off? Maybe they're not all bad? That would perhaps answer the question of why some people find the smell so bad and others don't. Seriously, my lipstick smelt so disgusting I doubt anyone would want it!

Iya

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenang3l211
try using a black base! i have night clubbing and night porter. night porter sucks on its own but with MUFE black cream shadow it looks gorgeous. night clubbing is super pigmented.

i agree with the es being chalky and too glittery..its not even shimmer its just glitter! the orgasm blush failed for me and i almost gave up on nars..but then i fell in love with the sheer glow foundation! i have to say sheer glow is now my HG foundation. i've got 4 es and soft touch shadow pencil. i don't see my nars collection growing any further than that.

also, when i use my p/p, sometimes i use a ccb like fawntastic all over, up to my eyebrows, then p/p just on my lid..bc painterly tends to dry up on me fast and it pulls and makes my es look really ugly. ccb makes it a little smoother and easier to blend.

i'm a MAC snob and have been for almost 8 years.. i only own a few items from other brands such as mufe, nars, and ud. i have a hard time buying non-mac items! i end up feeling guilty.

Thanks, i'll try a black base... i really hope it works...have a nice day

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalie1915
Oh um it is a website called "http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/" and it tells you how dangerous your makeup is and what it can cause, it's scary!!

I am in a quandry over whether or not to view this site. I think I am deciding against, because I would be crushed to find most of my HG are probably there. Hey, I will chance cancer to look good. Who was it that said they would live well and leave a good looking corpse? IDK, but I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle79
It seems like the quality of their duo e/s are not as good as the single ones. Has anybody else noticed that?

IDK about quality, but I have always thought the pairings odd. And I prefer to use at least 3 colors--one for the brow, crease and accent or V. This is what makes me hesitate to spend the money for the e/s. And I would want to buy many and depot, but that doesn't look doable. (or cost effective!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
yes i agree that nars packaging does look sleek and sophisticated. but the rubber part just collects a lot of eyeshadow bits and dust and seems to magnify it since it's black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptasia
Nars packaging can easily be cleaned with a damp microfibre cloth.

I kind of like the packaging. Glad to know how to clean it. Put me down in the leather and rubber crowd! Just don't say the line is for "mature" women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_quette
i like the shadows better in the palettes than the singles. i have four or five of the singles and the formulation is extremely soft which creates a lot of fallout. i've even had one crack already. the payoff is good and they blend easily, but i just don't care for the mess and how fragile they are.

Love the NARS palettes but have never spent the cash. Again, I am a depotter and love to arrange my own palettes! I have to love 75% of the colors or I feel I am wasting too much product in the palette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptasia
I think NARS need a pro line....where you buy the products in more convenient packaging and be able to create your own palettes...I can't bare to depot my shadows and lugging them around can be a pain if you want to bring it all.

YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmae17
Just wanted to add, that the nars eyeshadow primer has worked wonders for my Nars creme eyeshadows! UDPP never helped with creasing for nars creme ones before. but their primer is great! its made me rediscover my love for my not often used nars creme eyeshadows

TY, I have been wondering about the primer.

All in all, I am surprised about the NARS haterade being served. Yeah, they are a little pricey but compared to Chantecaille, Dior, Chanel, etc. Not so much.

Dreamingeagle24

well, i tried Nars eye shadows for the first time, and i sent them back to Nordies. some of the colors didn't show up hardly at all, and the darker smokey shades i tried were really splotchy and hard to blend. For the money, i could not justify keeping them. I also tried the Douceur blush and it was just too brown for my coloring. I love Nars blush and lip products, but i don't think i will be using their eye colors. I'm kinda sad it turned out that way, but in the long run it will save me a lot of money.