Italian Vogue: All Black Issue

benzito_714

Re: has anyone seen the vogue??

with tocarra showing her overflowing chi-chi's? yeah i saw a portion of the mag but i am not really into vogue.

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
with tocarra showing her overflowing chi-chi's? yeah i saw a portion of the mag but i am not really into vogue.

LOL
well it's all WOC this month, I really want one too but I doubt I'll find one in SC
ssad.gif

19_vogue_lg.jpg

I found a slideshow of a couple of the pictures
Beautiful Is Beautiful - The New York Times > Style > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 11

Blushbaby

I put myself on the waiting list for one back in London and got a call the day before I flew out to NY that they were due instore the following day.

Told the guy to give my copy to someone else as there was no way I could pick it up.

I'm over the hype of this issue now!

couturesista

I called 5 different Barnes and Nobles here in MD, and all of them said and I quote " We put in orders for them but we never received any shipments. We've been overwhelmed with phone inquiries about this issue". Do you know if you will get any in? " I hope so, but I can't be to sure". Seriously, when I go to B&N I buy the US and UK Vogue and there's never a shortage of them. I would hate to think...... I won't go there. Hopefully I'll get my 2 issues soon. WOC can sell magazines they just have to make it to the stands.

couturesista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
I put myself on the waiting list for one back in London and got a call the day before I flew out to NY that they were due instore the following day.

Told the guy to give my copy to someone else as there was no way I could pick it up.

I'm over the hype of this issue now!

IMO, There is no hype about WOC being honored in a magazine or industry that only uses 1 or 2 as tokens. THis is groundbreaking and historic. I hope this so called "hype" catches on here in the states, where WOC account for a large percentage of this industry's consumer.

Blushbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
IMO, There is no hype about WOC being honored in a magazine or industry that only uses 1 or 2 as tokens. THis is groundbreaking and historic. I hope this so called "hype" catches on here in the states, where WOC account for a large percentage of this industry's consumer.

Course there's hype - there shouldn't even NEED to be a WOC issue, we should be featured in Vogue every month as a given! No? It IS 2008 after all, not 1958.

I take it you've not seen the group on Facebook urging everybody to go and buy it - that's how I even came to hear about it in the first place. At the end of the day Vogue will get their money off us and nothing will change in the fashion industry, so yes, there is a lot of hype surrounding this issue.

couturesista

I agree there shouldn't be a WOC issue, but there is. There shouldn't be alot of things based on race, sexuality and gender, but there is. We shouldn't have to make "hype" to prove a point, but of course we do. Like our ancestors before us, somebody had to knock down some doors to get in. And yes Vogue will make money that's what their in business for to make money, and to set trends. The point is to prove to other publications that WOC can sell magazines because ultimately that is their goal. I'm not on the Vogue Bandwagon, I'm a monthly subscriber, and I purchase the Uk issues, so for me this is icing on the cake. I have no problem spending my money on this issue like I do on any other issue and if doing so can help the cause why not, even if nothing changes for other publications, Vogue Italia can say we took the first screw out of the door. Again, my opinion. TTFN

benzito_714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby
Course there's hype - there shouldn't even NEED to be a WOC issue, we should be featured in Vogue every month as a given! No? It IS 2008 after all, not 1958.

I take it you've not seen the group on Facebook urging everybody to go and buy it - that's how I even came to hear about it in the first place. At the end of the day Vogue will get their money off us and nothing will change in the fashion industry, so yes, there is a lot of hype surrounding this issue.

this is the exact reason why i am not into vogue-or any other 'high fashion' magazine. i stick with ebony and essence-i would love to get into vogue for the artistic aspect of clothing design, make-up, etc but i just can't get past the fact that black is not beautiful, to the masses.

couturesista

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
this is the exact reason why i am not into vogue-or any other 'high fashion' magazine. i stick with ebony and essence-i would love to get into vogue for the artistic aspect of clothing design, make-up, etc but i just can't get past the fact that black is not beautiful, to the masses.

I respect what your saying. I'm what you would call a magazine fiend, I have numerous subscriptions to all types of fashion magazine. I'm an avid sewer and I love designing, so I'm inspired by alot of things I see in magazines. Although I have subscriptions to Essence, I don't subscribe for the fashion, because its not a fashion mag. It's a WOC lifestyle mag. I love Essence , but for different reasons. When I see the Fashion Editorials in Essence , 9 times out of 10 the clothing used in the spread are from High End and Couture designers, the same designers that use 1 or 2 WOC in their shows. So what does that say about Essence? Why promote designers who shun your core consumer? To make a dollar that's why, Essence like any other mag wants to be able to say, You saw the hot Balenciaga Sandals here, or the New IT Hermes Bag here, its all about the dollar. Just my 2 cents.
thmbup.gif

benzito_714

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
I respect what your saying. I'm what you would call a magazine fiend, I have numerous subscriptions to all types of fashion magazine. I'm an avid sewer and I love designing, so I'm inspired by alot of things I see in magazines. Although I have subscriptions to Essence, I don't subscribe for the fashion, because its not a fashion mag. It's a WOC lifestyle mag. I love Essence , but for different reasons. When I see the Fashion Editorials in Essence , 9 times out of 10 the clothing used in the spread are from High End and Couture designers, the same designers that use 1 or 2 WOC in their shows. So what does that say about Essence? Why promote designers who shun your core consumer? To make a dollar that's why, Essence like any other mag wants to be able to say, You saw the hot Balenciaga Sandals here, or the New IT Hermes Bag here, its all about the dollar. Just my 2 cents.
thmbup.gif

you are so right. i like your style!

Nox

I do agree... with both sides. I am highly skeptical of anything that serves to marginalize us even more, especially when it's presented kinda like "a flavor of the month". It makes me a little suspicious that they may be playing the "throw them a bone to make them leave us alone" game, and then the rest of the time they get on with their regularly scheduled programming.

However, I am simply giddy over the fact that it will be WOC all over the page, on every page in the Italian Vogue. Nothing like this has ever been done, and I don't think it will register as well with the American Vogue demographic (or Anna Wintour). I like to support black models at every possible chance, so I really think it is great for us to get exposure to the well-known, the up-and-coming, and the brand-new faces, it might be the big break that they've been needing.

In any case, I will try to track down a copy of this Italian Vogue, and set it as one of my coffee table books (I may need a couple backups though just in case one of them magically *disappears* when I'm hosting guests).

flowerhead

It sounds beautiful, I'll buy it from my local shop that sells foreign Vogues and get back to you. It's nice to see high fashion models that don't have the grey eyes/blonde hair/pale skin in magazines/on catwalks, though it's sadly rarer than it should be. When did beauty in fashion become so homogeneous? I like to see every different type of beauty :-/ It's obvious that Vogue shouldn't even have to make a special issue, but I think it's a positive thing.

babiid0llox

Haha, I'm so clueless, here in Australia, this is the first I heard about it..I really want this issue though! Thanks for posting that link Lapis it looks like it would be a great issue. This is the first time in quite a while I'll be purchasing Vogue..so if they do go back to their 'homegenous' type of issues, this would be the last.

Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramuimui
On fashionista.com they have scans of the entire magazine.

Hmm, I did a search for it on Fashionista, and I can't find it anywhere.
ssad.gif