Italian Vogue: All Black Issue

Nox

Re: has anyone seen the vogue??

Thanks Devin. I've called all the Orange County B&Ns and only one of them is going to have it by tomorrow. The store associates were all asking me when I called, "Why are we getting so many calls about this Italian Vogue stuff?" LOLOLOL. One guy I spoke with said the store got more than twenty calls about it this morning alone.

f!erce

I am in DC and decided to go the online route for mine. I just placed an order for two and paid about $16 each.

pinkxsushii

Quote:
Originally Posted by f!erce
I am in DC and decided to go the online route for mine. I just placed an order for two and paid about $16 each.

What site did you find this on?

f!erce

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxsushii
What site did you find this on?

Single Issue Magazines - Single Issue Magazines & News Papers - Sell Single Issue Magazines

They sell single issues of magazines. If you go to the front page of the site you will see the July issue of Vogue Italia. I got put on the waiting list (yes I know a bit much for a magazine but I LOVE magazines) so they emailed me when it was made available to the site. When you go to the site you will notice that its not the correct cover image - I called to verify that I was indeed purchasing the correct issue and was assured that it is the all black issue, they just havent had a chance to upload the cover image yet. Happy shopping!

pinkxsushii

Thank you so much!....will you find out if your on the waiting list after completing the order?

f!erce

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxsushii
Thank you so much!....will you find out if your on the waiting list after completing the order?

No problem! I dont think there is a waiting list anymore, you are just free to order.
thmbup.gif

florabundance

yeh all the models in the features are women of colour, but in the advertising they're still all white. i don't want to ruin the party and sound like a hater, but it seems like vogue just wants to capitalise on the fact that they are criticised for their lack of woc models, not actually rectify their ignorance.

Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabundance
yeh all the models in the features are women of colour, but in the advertising they're still all white. i don't want to ruin the party and sound like a hater, but it seems like vogue just wants to capitalise on the fact that they are criticised for their lack of woc models, not actually rectify their ignorance.

And that was exactly the source of skepticism. There are so many ads in those same brands that have black models and are used in magazines like Essence. This is the "throw them a bone to make them leave us alone" type of thing. It's a little half-assed, but with the time the creative directors put in for the shoots and the editorial models, I still wanna buy the magazine just so that can't say the sales were lagging. That always is their #1 manufactured complaint that they were all taught to say.

MsCocoa

I got my copy last week or earlier this week, can't remember but the bottom line is I thought it was a little overrated, like flora said it's still 90% adverts full of white women, but hey I still spent £6.80 to support the cause.

aziajs

It is soo disappointing that the ads feature white models. When I read an article on the issue I understood them to say that even the ads would feature black models.
ssad.gif

I also agree with you ladies that have said that this issue is really just a tool to pacify WOC and deflect some of the harse criticism mags like vogue have received for their lack of non-white models.

blazeno.8

I really want to see these now! I have a 2007 April Spanish Vogue with Liya Kebede on the front and she looks just wonderful. When I gave most of my other Vogues away, I knew I wanted to keep this one.

f!erce

ok so my issue was delivered yesterday although I didnt get it until this morning since I had a long day with baby girl...in any event, the images are beautiful as I expected but I think I got caught up in the hype. As many have stated the majority of the advertising still features mainly caucasian models. I cant read italian so I have no idea if the articles were worth the splurge.
th_dunno.gif
As I embark on my 30's I find that I am not as FIGHT THE POWER as I used to be in the sense that I am not as quick to fight "the man" as I once was without exploring all facets of the argument. I am happy that color was the focus of this issue and see it as a starting point to improvement but I also see that there was a lot more that couldve been done. Call it seeing both sides of the coin if you will. All in all, I am happy that I supported the cause even if deep down I feel it was a pacifier of sorts.

urbanlilyfairy

It's a beautiful Issue and it's about time Vogue do something like this. I was lucky enough to get one here in Italy. It's gorgeous. I read yesterday that there are doing a reprint now.

Now if only Vogue will do a similar Issue for US Vogue that will be nice. I'd also like to see an ethnicities issue featuring all Asaian, Latino, Indian, etc. etc. etc....

elektra513

I agree. This kind of issue is long overdue here in the States. And all the ladies look gorgeous. Esp. Miss Toccara
thmbup.gif

Nox

^ Star, I would totally be willing to let you have mine. I'm through with it.

Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlilyfairy
It's a beautiful Issue and it's about time Vogue do something like this. I was lucky enough to get one here in Italy. It's gorgeous. I read yesterday that there are doing a reprint now.

Now if only Vogue will do a similar Issue for US Vogue that will be nice. I'd also like to see an ethnicities issue featuring all Asaian, Latino, Indian, etc. etc. etc....

Here's the thing though...

There already is a Vogue India, Vogue Korea, Vogue Nippon, Vogue China, Vogue Taiwan, Vogue Mexico, Vogue Brasil. There is not one Vogue affiliate in a predominantly black country, nor do they proportionately represent black women in their more mixed countries editions (like US, and the UK). Some are notorious for blatantly excluding any women of color at all (Australia). Ironically, it has always been Italian and French versions that have had more black women represented on their covers and inside print than any of the American/UK editions.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Ironically, it has always been Italian and French versions that have had more black women represented on their covers and inside print than any of the American/UK editions.

I have noticed this!