Lime Crime Lipstick

cupcake_x

I went :O.O: when I saw this.

tkb.jpg

After all this stuff came out, I don't support Limecrime, but a little part of me is thinking maaaaaybe it's going just a tad too far.
However, I guess I would be equally upset as some of the other users if I had bought make-up from Xenia and got completely ripped.

shatteredshards

Some interesting reads there - thank you!

Also, I love the second video you posted - she said her mind with an "I dare you to shut me up" attitude, and it had me nodding in agreement the entire time.

Edit: I agree, that picture's just a bit much, but that ex-supporter is pissed as all heck and if it makes her feel better to sketch that out, then so be it.

cupcake_x

I think I just might be overwhelmed with all of it. It's very interesting to read, though, and like I mentioned, I would probably be equally pissed off.

I'm very disappointed since I was such a huge fan of her tutorials for years.
ssad.gif

lyttleravyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violenza
Apparently all the eyedusts are repackaged mineral makeup from other companies, like 'beauty from the earth', for example: you can get lime criminal by buying 'envy' from bfte.
Where the lippies come from, no clue, but they're even more expensive than MAC and they have professionals working on their formulas and such, DD has.. what? a website.

Will The Real Slim Shady Please Stand Up. |Lipsticks & Lightsabers

There's more to read if you google 'lime crime repackage'.

This is also rather interesting:
Funny Face's place: Lime Crime Makeup Dilemma

I'm disappointed by the people who wrote these articles. We live in a capitalist society. How do you think retail works? Companies buy from wholesalers and then jack the price up. Most of the time wholesalers only sell to retail companies in large quantities, so even though its cheaper you have to place much bigger orders at a time to get the wholesale price.

And further more I think there is too much bashing going on towards Xenia and Lime Crime, when the other company "BFTE" is doing the exact same thing but charge MORE (LC is $12 for .07oz. BFTE is $6.60 for .03oz.). Yes, yes BTFE designs their own colors as well, but did they have such a large selection when they started out years ago? Probably not. As they became more popular, they can afford to carry a more diverse selection.

The lipsticks are probably more expensive because she is just starting out and isn't ordering in huge quantities. MAC has a number of other things to pay for than a small company, but they are operating in much higher quantities and can afford to make huge orders in advance at a lower cost.

I have followed Xenia for a number of years (I was a fan of her band Sky Salt and when she first did her makeup tutorials) and she's is one of the sweetest people I've ever known. It's a shame that people who really don't have any idea what they're talking about are attacking this poor girl who is just following the same retail practices as most companies in this country. If you would rather buy straight from the wholesaler, go right ahead. Lime Crime and BTFE put more time into putting their names out, packaging, etc. than a wholesaler would.

Why is everyone getting on her case for selling a product for cheaper than another retailer? Where are the hate articles when BTFE first came out and their prices were higher than a wholesaler?

shatteredshards

lyttleravyn, I think you're missing the point. By a mile.

People wouldn't mind the private label outsourcing if she would just admit it.

Instead, she's claiming that TKB, one of the biggest suppliers of micas/pigments to mineral makeup companies, copied HER, even though they've been in business since 1994 and have been selling these colors a lot longer than she has.

Her entire line has been comparison swatched with untouched TKB pigments, and she makes YouTube videos telling everyone that she makes everything herself? Really? She makes videos of her throwing iron oxide in a bag with other colors to mix them, when it was outted that iron oxide actually cannot be mixed that way, because it's too clumpy, sticky, and won't blend?

I've been following her since Sky Salt, too. And if people believe her persona, then obviously that's something I need to suck it up and accept. But personally, I'm pissed off that she thinks she can threaten to sue people like Gothique for saying that her lipsticks are too pigmented and stained her lips.

Sue for what? It's not libel, slander, defamation. In fact, Xenia can get in trouble for making her bogus legal threats more than she can get Gothique in trouble for saying Lime Crime lipsticks aren't very good.

Xenia has no leg to stand on except the stick she seems to have up her butt.

lyttleravyn

I'm not missing the point. I was referring to the two articles I quoted. I completely understand if people are upset with her for other reasons, I'm not referring to them.

In the first article he says that she "had the gall to allegedly suggest that the wholesale company had "similar" products because it copied them." However when you follow the link that he includes, her actual response does not make her sound like the whiny bitch he thinks she is. In my opinion, her response "The observation you made is an example of how competitors follow and try to imitate something that's been successful." could be taken more than 1 way. In no way do I read that and think she said that the wholesaler is copying her colors.

Speaking of the wholesaler, what is their stance on the matter? I'd be curious to see if she is just buying directly from them or if maybe she was working with them and wanted to see how minerals are actually made. She has been talking about doing her only makeup line for years, why a huge farce if she was just going to buy and repackage something she found on the internet?

And really, at this point, what does it matter? Let her do what she wants to do, and if people don't agree with it then they don't have to buy from her. I just think its getting really out of hand with a huge "scandal."

shatteredshards

Well, in all fairness, there's plenty of screencaps and photos and the like proving she edits or deletes comments. Google caches, too.

As for TKB, they refuse to comment apparently - people have already tried contacting them. I don't think anyone's determined the company that makes her lipsticks yet, though.

And yes, you're right, we could just let her do what she wants to do. But there's already been many dissatisfied customers, and as long as she continues the way she's going, there will continue to be new dissatisfied customers, who did not hear about the scandal and did not know what they were getting until they got it.

lyttleravyn

I think if people are interested in this brand then they should look for legitimate reviews of the products, not be bombarded with rants about things that are unrelated to the quality of product. Its the same thing with every brand of makeup out there. Lets say for example, Fyrinnae. I haven't tried this brand but I've heard about them and read some reviews online. Am I going to dive in and buy $100 worth of product? Of course not, I'm going to buy 1-3 and maybe share an order with a friend to cut down on shipping. If I don't like the product I chalk it up to lesson learned and don't buy from them again. I don't go on a smear campaign on the internet because I didn't like them.

It's one thing to say "the product is not bad, the packaging could be better...a similar product can be purchased from XXX" and another to have videos, blogs, etc. throwing out accusations when even the company making the colors haven't commented. I don't see what a so-called "scandal" has to do with purchasing makeup. I guess it's the same thing with how some people don't agree with MAC's business practices on bumping out freelance artists. I guess a large corporation is harder to attack than one girl.

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttleravyn
I think if people are interested in this brand then they should look for legitimate reviews of the products, not be bombarded with rants about things that are unrelated to the quality of product....

It's one thing to say "the product is not bad, the packaging could be better...a similar product can be purchased from XXX"....

And the sad part about that is, Gothique posted a review that was mostly along those lines. Yes, she did make it clear that she did not like how Lime Crime was run or how Xenia seems to act, but she also made it clear that she was trying hard to make an unbiased review.

A lot of good honest reviews do when Xenia threatens legal action upon people if they don't take them down, eh? A lot of good honest reviews do when it's well known that Xenia doesn't allow any rating/review below a 4 on any product on her website.

Goat Goat Etc.

BTFE admitted they bought from a wholesaler though.
And have renamed everything they buy from TKB their "primary pigments." They were honest, so no bashing for honesty.

And cheaper? Limecrime's shadows are cheaper than TKB's?

Limecrime $12 for 0.14oz of product?
TKB -------$4 for 1oz of product?

TKB is pretty WIN.

kabuki_KILLER

From what I can tell, Gothique's review was very thorough and did exactly all the recommended things that should be discussed. She paid for some lipsticks, kind of liked and kind of didn't like them, and talked about it. There is nothing wrong with that. This situation only makes the Xenia/Doe/whatever not only appear to care more about little profits over customer satisfaction and long-term operation of her product line, but it also makes her look petty and juvenile. She can make videos as much as she wants, but actions speak louder than words.

From what I can see, there is fault from both sides. People are watching Xenia and expecting her to mess up. Then Xenia herself isn't helping by letting the drama get to her, receiving it, and then making matters worse for her by taking direct action against her customers.

I say, speech is still free in this country and anyone should be allowed to say anything about anyone as long as it's not a threat and you're not under some sort of contract, which none of you are. No one has the right to demand abridgement of their customer's rights to write a review. I for one, have decided not to purchase her lipsticks after having seen the blue swatches because I just wasn't too thrilled about it.

Meisje

Aside from the rest of it - Why are people so sure that all the comments on blogs being attributed to her are actually HER? A lot of them don't sound like her writing "voice" to me. The word choice, capitalization, and the way some of them are punctuated are just off. And in one, Lime Crime was spelled wrong.

shatteredshards

Those comments, I have no clue. I'm not sure they are her, or aren't her, there's arguments for both sides (for example, she claims that she doesn't comment anywhere online, so it's never her, but as people have pointed out, that creates the perfect opportunity for her to spew insults and have most people think it isn't her). However, as I said above there's proof of her deleting/editing things (her twitter is a good one, she's been taking back tweets when she shoots her mouth off, and the thing is, it only removes them from her main page - the page for the individual tweet still exists on twitter - so that can't be faked), so who knows.

user79

I think some bloggers have def gone above and beyond to ruin her reputation and her company, but I also think it's absolutely pathetic that she made a blogger who purchased her cosmetics remove a bad review by threatening legal action. I'm surprised the blogger complied - Limecrime had no legal footing to do so.

lyttleravyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Goat Etc.

And cheaper? Limecrime's shadows are cheaper than TKB's?

Limecrime $12 for 0.14oz of product?
TKB -------$4 for 1oz of product?

TKB is pretty WIN.

In my post I was referring to BTFE. While the price you pay is less, the price per amount is more than Lime Crime.

When you buy wholesale you will almost always pay a cheaper price. I haven't researched TKB at all, but in general wholesalers can afford to sell for less because you have to buy in larger quantities.

bhevarri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttleravyn
In my post I was referring to BTFE. While the price you pay is less, the price per amount is more than Lime Crime.

When you buy wholesale you will almost always pay a cheaper price. I haven't researched TKB at all, but in general wholesalers can afford to sell for less because you have to buy in larger quantities.

The whole reason people are upset is that not only did xenia say all of her stuff was new and different, when really it's just repackaged wholesale colors, but on top of that, they aren't even mixed with any sort of base. If you compare a color from TKB with the supposed dupe from lime crime, the ingredients are identical. You can order a sample from TKB- a tablespoon of mica- for 1.50
if she mixed some new colors or even added bases to make them into real eyeshadow it would be okay, but she just puts an ingredient into a jar and sells it, and that bothers me.

hickle

What bothers me is how people are "bothered" by Xenia. She may or may not be an unpleasant person -- I'm not debating that. If you're going to critique her company, you should be critiquing "Lime Crime" and not "Xenia". I know it's a bit of a paradox to seperate Xenia from Lime Crime, since she uses her popularity to push her Lime Crime products, but I really do feel like a lot of the charges against Lime Crime are really personal vitriol directed against Xenia. If you really dislike Lime Crime for whatever reasons, keep your critiques of it professional and unbiased -- it will make your argument much more persuasive.

Goat Goat Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I think some bloggers have def gone above and beyond to ruin her reputation and her company, but I also think it's absolutely pathetic that she made a blogger who purchased her cosmetics remove a bad review by threatening legal action. I'm surprised the blogger complied - Limecrime had no legal footing to do so.

Isn't that impossible to do?
Sue someone for a bad review?
It's their opinion....on a product?

lyttleravyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickle
What bothers me is how people are "bothered" by Xenia. She may or may not be an unpleasant person -- I'm not debating that. If you're going to critique her company, you should be critiquing "Lime Crime" and not "Xenia". I know it's a bit of a paradox to seperate Xenia from Lime Crime, since she uses her popularity to push her Lime Crime products, but I really do feel like a lot of the charges against Lime Crime are really personal vitriol directed against Xenia. If you really dislike Lime Crime for whatever reasons, keep your critiques of it professional and unbiased -- it will make your argument much more persuasive.

I completely agree. I went back and read/watched all the reviews of Lime Crime above and anyone who says that those reviews are unbiased didn't read or watch them. There is sarcasm and attitude given in every single review. Even if I knew nothing about Xenia and Lime Crime, I wouldn't take those reviews seriously. A completely unbiased review wouldn't have include personal remarks and they wouldn't have to say that they are "trying" to give an unbiased review.

In Gothique's review when she goes over the swatches, she says that the orange isn't a unique color and she could find dupes right away. However, looking at her own swatches, the orange is completely different from the 'dupes' she swatched. Further down she says for the fuchsia that she had so many dupes that she didn't need to list them. Well, hello? I thought in a review, if you had comparable dupes, you listed them. Just another shining example of her attitude against Xenia/Lime Crime coming through.

I actually haven't purchased from Xenia, and most likely won't since its a little too expensive for me. However, I think its ridiculous how people are going out of their way to go on a smear campaign against her. And again I agree with hickle, critique should be against the company not Xenia personally.

Latest posts