Lime Crime Lipstick

dazzlepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
Why do these remind me of the OCC liptars, but in a stick form? The colors and opacity is really pulling me, but at $16 a pop, I think I'll go for liptars...

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them!

At least with liptars you know you're getting a good quality product (given that everybody and their mother has reviewed them), rather than relying on blind fandom or just hoping for the best.

dazzlepants

I personally believe that LC initially repackaged her eyeshadows and that they were probably pure mica from TKB, just from reading reviews saying they wouldnt go on smoothly and wouldnt stick. But now I think she's probably added some filler to increase the volume seeing as everybody complained about the tiny amount of product in the jar - so I guess she's technically ~blending her eyeshadows now. -_-

Not gonna lie, I was intrigued about the lipsticks and had my eye on a few of them. But after seeing Grey's review I realised that I really could get a similar effect elsewhere - no point in shelling out heaps for a little known brand that may not deliver, especially if it's a colour I'm not going to wear often (hello D'Lilac!)

That being said, as much as I loved the review and found it helpful, I guess I can see where it might be construed as defamatory in parts. Particularly insinuating that theyre repackaged Stargazer, or that she doesnt make them (the 'distributed by Lime Crime' part). I dont particularly believe LC makes them - at least not by working with chemists - but yeah I wouldnt go touting that as fact on my blog :X

Sorry for my comment being so tl;dr -_-

crashingg

packaging looks tacky but i'm so tempted to buy just for the colors.
ssad.gif

BlueMoonDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana1234
i think they should just give it a rest, im sorry but 'green' isnt a good colour on any of these blog posters...

Are you talking about the "green" eyed monster? Because I'm not getting that from these ladies. I'm reading a lot of angry "this is dishonest, why can't she just say,"Yes, I repackaged pigments early on/now but add filler/I'm changing/revamping the line." I don't get jealousy, but that may because I've bought into the idea that she has been repackaging and I'm searching for those who DON'T. Even if I don't like a company's product, I'm not going to disrespect their efforts. For those who say this is "typical" practice, hear me now: Just because everyone does it, doesn't make it right. I have not bought from L/C because of price. But now I won't because it seems I could get something cheaper somewhere else--the same product. The all-mighty dollar screams louder to be held by me and I'm just not a fan of the company's inability to say "Yes" or "No."

If you're referring to the penchant these bloggers have for actual green e/s--well, I support that (the green) 100%
yahoo.gif

What we have here is differing opinions. As far as the owner goes, I'm not a fan of her public persona. Perpetually happy people piss me off. And her youtube "don't hate" video grated on my nerves. In my opinion, she is telling a few fibs in there. But of course, I'm a cynic with a high tuned b/s meter. She may not be; I feel that she is.

Kragey

So, any other reviews on this lipsticks? I'm interested in a few of the colors, but I just can't stomach $16 per tube.

banana1234

yes, i think all those bloggers wish they could be as sucessful as her.

i agree if u dont like a product, fair enough, but to actively say she's ripping people off by not even making her own eyeshadows is stupid, they just want to bring her down to make themselves feel better

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana1234
yes, i think all those bloggers wish they could be as sucessful as her.

i agree if u dont like a product, fair enough, but to actively say she's ripping people off by not even making her own eyeshadows is stupid, they just want to bring her down to make themselves feel better

blinks.gif

Well, I can sing better than her, my friends stick around, and I don't have to make YouTube videos where I blink multiple times a second (remember how excessive blinking is recognized as a tell to lying?). Nope, I'm good.

BlueMoonDoll

Here is just a little food for thought:

Xenia/Doe Deere/Lime Crime is/has been/was "attacked" by bloggers with "claims" of repackaging. They swatched Lime Crime "magic dust" or whatever it is called next to TKB Micas and a few colors from other major wholesalers. The swatches looked pretty close. Xenia/Doe did the same in a youtube video, but her line is obviously applied wet. Any makeup geek knows what a foiled e/s looks like!

HOWEVER, these bloggers have not just reviewed Lime Crime makeup. They have reviewed major brands and indie companies. Not a single other indie company has gotten angry about a negative review (which, it seems, is what led to this drama). They also shout to the heavens about some indie companies that are EXTREMELY successful.

Now, here is the bit: If they are JEALOUS of Xenia/Doe/Lime Crime and trying to bring her down, why aren't they doing the same for others?

Kragey

I just found out that it's relatively easy to dupe the popular "milky" finishes on these lipsticks with a little white cream make-up. I may very well do a video on it, cause a lot of my friends are interested in colors like Cosmopop and Great Pink Planet, but are afraid of the staining and can't afford $16+ shipping for a single lipstick.

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonDoll
Now, here is the bit: If they are JEALOUS of Xenia/Doe/Lime Crime and trying to bring her down, why aren't they doing the same for others?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I were going to be jealous of someone with a homegrown makeup company, I can think of much more successful people than Xenia to be jealous of.

Xenia likes attention and likes being in the spotlight, even if it's negative. She's not much different than Tila Tequila, except she dresses a little more respectable.

Meisje

I don't think she's like Tila Tequila at all. Tila makes her living selling herself as a sex object. Doe blogs and sells makeup. They both enjoy attention, and have a flair for the dramatic, but those two qualities can be attributed to 90% of people who make a living in the public eye.

I'm not sure I understand why people who dislike Doe Deere are so very vehement about it? I mean, if I sit down and think about it, I realize Avril Lavigne sucks in pretty much every way imaginable (artistically, professionally, ethically, personality-wise, style-wise), but that's a non-factor in my life. I avoid her "product" and all is well
smiles.gif

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
I'm not sure I understand why people who dislike Doe Deere are so very vehement about it?

It's not so much that I hate Doe/Xenia/Limey, it's that I hate liars in general. I actually have little to say about her outside of the one or two threads devoted to "her product" here on Specktra.

In fact, I think I've made a much bigger public rant about Taylor Made than I have her, and I first "discovered" her in 2003 or 2004.

InspiredBlue

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand why people who dislike Doe Deere are so very vehement about it? I mean, if I sit down and think about it, I realize Avril Lavigne sucks in pretty much every way imaginable (artistically, professionally, ethically, personality-wise, style-wise), but that's a non-factor in my life. I avoid her "product" and all is well
smiles.gif

Because this is a makeup forum and people are passionate about what they spend their hard earned money on and what they put on their face. If you went to a forum for, say, punk music, back when Avril was still doing the whole plaid skirt and raccoon eyes thing and kids thought that was "punk", I'm sure you'd be able to find a lot of
angry.gif
as well.

kiss

To my surprise I saw these lipsticks at Urban Outfitters and checked them out. I like going on her blog and don't care what other people say about her but honestly I found the lipsticks to be lacking in quality. The packaging looks good from the outside but when you open it, it feels and looks cheap to me. Compared to the MAC heatherette, you can tell that the quality isn't as good. The lipsticks themselves are very bland and smell like chemicals. They were quite opaque though which I liked. The lilac one stood out to me. Would I buy them when I can get a better MAC lipstick cheaper? No.

On the other hand, she does inspire me how you can your own little makeup line started, market it and have it end up in stores.
winks.gif

NubianHoneii

Quote:
smiles.gif

That's kinda why I left my own thread alone. Im so sorry that people had bad experiences with her .. but I wanted to kinda know about the lipsticks, not 87,000 "doe is bad" post (unless if it was about not receiving products after payment -- or about a place with dupes). Not criticizing anything anyone said/ or their feelings. This was just my own personal intent, its specktra and everything make up related goes !

So I went and ordered some .. and I have to say I was pleased with the color pay off. I loved the design of the tube. What I DIDN'T like was the flimsiness of the cap portion of the tube. My one year old cracked the top of one of the lipsticks when he was playing "dont let mommy grab it" with me
girl_devil.gif
I know if it was, lets say a MAC lipstick cap it wouldn't have cracked, and this had me mad because she charges more then mac. Other then that everything else about them (color pay-off, texture, smell, ect) was fine.

littlepickle

Hi everybody, I purchased some lipsticks and magic dusts last Wednesday and they arrived today, which I didn't think was too bad since they came all the way from New York to little New Zealand
smiles.gif
I had concerns about the streakiness of the colour that others had described but had decided to give it a go anyway. I realise in America and other places the cost of these is higher than MAC, but in NZ you would expect to pay $35-40NZD for a lipstick at a MAC counter, however ordering 2 lipsticks and 2 magic dusts cost me $81.80NZD including postage. I couldn't drive up to Auckland (about $60NZD in petrol for a return trip) to buy a single MAC lipstick for less than that, and MAC doesn't ship within NZ. So cost wise I was very, very happy.
Onto quality - I use a lot of YSL lipsticks and I ADORE them, especially the Rouge Volupte line. I found these to be very similar to the Rouge Volupte both in colour pay off and creaminess. It truly was one stroke colour for me, very opaque and not at all streaky as I had been warned. I wore Airborne Unicorn all day and it lasted really well and never felt drying. I also didn't get that crumbly bit I sometimes get on the inside corners of my mouth - not sure how to describe that so that it makes sense to anyone!
I already have one of the Magic Dusts, the multi use shade 'Fairy Wings'. I use it a fair bit, mostly as a blender and highlight colour. I've tried many different brands and I felt the Magic Dusts were on par with one of the MAC shadows I have that I use for a similar purpose, Soft Force from the Style Warriors collection. I still find Dior to be one of the longest lasting shadows I have used. Again, cost wise the Magic Dusts are great for me. They work out at around $18 NZD which is the same as a Maybelline quad here, and half the price of a MAC shadow.
In case you're interested, I have very fair skin (no MAC foundation rating sorry), green eyes, red hair and my eyelids crease really fast with eyeshadow on, so I'm always looking out for a shadow that will last really well.
Hope this helps anyone wanting to steer clear of the Doe Deere/Xenia debate and read about the products themselves.

littlepickle

Re: Lime Crime

I really like these products, I've been using the Magic Dusts for about a year now and have just received my first lipsticks. My eyelids crease really, really easily - usually within 2 hours of application without a primer, including with high end brands like MAC, Dior etc. Today I'm wearing Lime Criminal and Twilight from the Magic Dust range, NO primer, just Revlon nude Eyeglide underneath. I applied all this at 10am this morning and it's now 10 to 6pm and there are no creases whatsoever. You can see the pictures under 'Ocean Eyes' in the FOTD.
I'm loving the lipsticks too, I love YSL's range and find many others too drying but the Lime Crime lippies are highly pigmented, creamy in formulation and long lasting. I did notice some staining on my lips after wearing Centrifuchsia which is a deep berry pink. I didn't mind this but some might. I didn't experience staining after wearing Airborne Unicorn (a light purple) so perhaps it's just the darker, brighter colours that have staining?
Price wise I know MAC is cheaper in the US and maybe UK too but here in NZ it's the reverse. A $12USD Magic Dust will cost me approx $18NZD with shipping to get from New York to NZ whereas a MAC shadow is upwards of $35NZD not including the $60NZD petrol money for a return trip from Auckland, the nearest city which sells MAC. The lipsticks, at $16USD, cost me about $25NZD with shopping, Mac lipsticks are $40+ NZD.
About the jars - the old jars did hold a lot less and they did leak. I have one of these which I keep in a small plastic bag. The packaging has since changed and I'm really happy with the new jars, you get twice the product and it seals up nice and tight.

swaly

I found their eyeshadows unnecessary since I own all of TKB's colors (which were dirt-cheap in comparison). There might be slight formulation changes from the basic mica, but I know Lime Crime doesn't have anything particularly amazing colorwise.

Their lipsticks, on the other hand, are revelatory. Other than being a bit "soft" and breaking easily, they are amazing colors, incredibly opaque, very moisturizing. If they're too slippery, I just pat some transparent face powder on and apply another layer. Absolutely gorgeous and impossible to find dupes anywhere else. Their customer service was great too--they replaced a broken lipstick immediately without asking for the broken one back, and gave me a coupon for $20 off since I ordered a full set before they offered their discount set price.

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaly
I found their eyeshadows unnecessary since I own all of TKB's colors (which were dirt-cheap in comparison). There might be slight formulation changes from the basic mica, but I know Lime Crime doesn't have anything particularly amazing colorwise.

Their lipsticks, on the other hand, are revelatory. Other than being a bit "soft" and breaking easily, they are amazing colors, incredibly opaque, very moisturizing. If they're too slippery, I just pat some transparent face powder on and apply another layer. Absolutely gorgeous and impossible to find dupes anywhere else. Their customer service was great too--they replaced a broken lipstick immediately without asking for the broken one back, and gave me a coupon for $20 off since I ordered a full set before they offered their discount set price.

ALL of them? As in, every color TKB has ever produced?! If that's what you meant, I am Hella envious; I love TKB.
shockt.gif