MAC Holiday 2012 Glamour Daze / Fabulousness / Guilty Passions Collection Discussion

kimibos

Oooo, love the swatches of those lippies! Dramatic Encounter looks like it could be very similiar to Prince Noir in color. We'll see how the difference in finish affects the way they look.
i love prince noir, i wished Dramatic encounter was a matte
crybaby.gif
no mattes in this collection...

Prettypackages

I was in my local MAC last Thurs for Marilyn - only wanted one thing, and got it, their last one. They had some Holiday Fabulousness but no Glamour Daze. I did NOT want to pre-order without seeing things myself in person - i know i'm lucky that i can do that. So i went back today.

Well, i nearly started hyperventilating because it was pretty much all there.

HOLIDAY FABULOUSNESS

My local MAC shop had already sold out of one thing from the Holiday Fabulousness collection - the hanging travel bag!

Next, I can verify that the red leopard bag i saw was the Viva Glam Nicki bag.

I am not buying anything from Holiday Fabulousness for a few reasons. They are so lovely. If i had an old-fashioned makeup table, these would be fantastic sitting on it, but, well, i don't. And there are so many other wonderful collections coming up soon and, well, i bought too much from Glamour Daze.

GLAMOUR DAZE
I am no longer on Team Purple for this collection, alas
nope.gif
Read on to see why...

Lipglasses
-- Talk Softly To Me (light creamy coral pink)
and
-- Pink Fade (light creamy pink) were creamy, opaque, and a little "milky" - and just not my colors.
-- Impossibly Sweet (sheer soft pink with multi-dimensional pearl) was tempting. I wore it for a while. It's very glittery in a beautiful way and i am not too old for glitter, but it reminded me of a number of other lipglasses, dazzleglasses, and lip gelees i have, so i passed
-- Deliciously Demure (soft cool brown with pearl) was quite nice, i like cool browns. But it reminded me of Soft Sable lipstick from Glitter and Ice last year, which i got, so another skip.
-- Flight of Fancy (rich purple) was on my Team Purple list. I tried it on and wore it and liked it. It's a warm purple, moderately opaque, and while it looks only a little glittery in the tube, it is nicely shimmery on the lips. If it had been cooler / bluer, i would not have hesitated to add it to my pile. However, i have a fair number of MAC purple / plum glosses, so, sadly, i passed.

Lipstick
-- Beauty (pale cool pink) is what the model is wearing in the promo photo. It's pretty, but i have gotten too many nude pinks this year, so it was a skip for me
-- Innocence (soft coral) was just not my kind of color
-- Outrageously Fun (midtone magenta violet) did not look very violet to me. It reminded me of Violetta, which i have, and other fuchsia-magenta-pink-lavender lipsticks, so i passed.
-- Glamourdaze (midtone creamy plum) was a little sheer and a little brownish. I liked the color, but just didn't HAVE to have it.
-- Dramatic Encounter (deep purple) was very close to Yung Rapunxel, with a slightly different finish. Since i have YR -- and Revlon Va Va Violet and Rimmel Kate Moss 04 and MAC Cyber and Kate von D Homegirl -- i passed on it. I don't wear red or bright pink - i do wear dark dark purple / violet.

Kohl Power eye pencils
-- Feline (intense black with black pearl) too black for me
-- Mystery (intense black with green pearl) it looks very green in the pencil - i swiped it on my hand and it looked mostly black - but when i got under some bright light, it gleamed very cool green - it was beautiful... but i skipped it - i may regret this later...
-- Orpheus (intense black with gold pearl) this looked very gold and not very black - i got it.
-- Raven (intense black with red pearl) this looked a very dark warm red and not very black - i got it.

These do not have chunky obvious glitter. The pearl is very fine. I would say finer than in the Pearlglide liners, which i love. The Pearlglides are creamy and tend to smear and wear a little - i don't mind that - i have 4 of them and am considering a 5th - but the pearl is more noticeable. In these Kohl Power liners, the base is firmer than Pearlglide and look is soft metallic, although looking closely i could see there was a little very fine glitter. I would not wear them on my waterline. Those who are sensitive to glitter in Pearlglide may be able to wear these because they are less creamy and slippery.

Fluidlines
-- Feminine Edge (pink mauve with dazzle pearl) was really amazing. Somehow it was both cool pink and warm pink at the same time, with iridescence and silver glitter. It went on a bit unevenly, but i could not resist its color-changing nature, so i got one.
-- Catch My Eye (cool taupe grey with dazzle pearl) interesting chameleon - both cool grey and warm taupe at the same time, with silver glitter. I loved it but decided to pass.
-- Little Black Bow (charcoal with dazzle pearl) reminded me of some UD eyeshadows - shimmery charcoal with silver glitter. Not for me.

Powder Blushes
They are nice, but just not for me. Some of you will no doubt love them. Me, i've gotten way too many blushes in the past 2 years - although i'm planning to get the lavender blush in an up-coming collection. So these were a total skip for me.

Nail Lacquers
-- Endless Night (pale beige with iridescent pink shimmer) was in a recent collection this year. I liked it, but i didn't need it.
-- In the Limelight (light green) looked A LOT like Mischievous Mint from Quite Cute, which was sold out when i went in to pre-order from that beloved collection. I got a few MM dupes afterwards, so i passed this time around.
-- Girl Trouble (silvered, pale purple with a pearl finish) is permanent, so...
-- Everything That Glitters - From the photos i thought this was plum with glitter - looked interesting, on my wishlist. Well, i was WRONG. It is black with multi-glitter. OMG! As with so many MAC nail polishes, the black is a little sheer, but that works really well this time, because it shows off the shimmer beautifully. The micro-glitter is silver, turquoise, and fuchsia. I HAD TO HAVE IT!

I'm sure you noticed that i haven't mentioned the Extra Dimensional products. Saving the best for last
cheerleader.gif

Extra Dimension Skinfinish
These are both re-promotes - but if you missed them the first time, you probably need one this time.
-- Superb (soft peachy nude) is a lovely pinky golden silvery color, less peachy looking than in many photos, which i got the first time around.

-- Whisper Of Gilt (light soft white gold with shimmery sheen) i passed on it the first time, so i HAD TO HAVE IT.

Extra Dimension Eyeshadows
-- Divine Blue (midtone aqua) leans a little green, but definitely straddles the line between blue and green. I don't wear true blues or true greens, but i love these in-between colors - i got one
-- Evening Grey (steel silver) pass for me
-- Round Midnight (dark burgundy) was on my Team Purple wishlist, but it was too dark for me, so i passed
-- Stylish Merry (midtone dusty violet) This description is SO NOT what it really is. This is a muted yet still bright fuchsia with a blue duotone - just GORGEOUS! I don't wear this color on my lips or cheeks, but my eyes can. I got one
-- Ready to Party (pale lilac) my shop didn't get any(!!!), so i don't really know what it looks like - i ordered one, anyway.
-- A Natural Flirt (soft peachy nude) somehow warm and cool, although leans warm - with AMAZING iridescence - i got one
-- Stolen Moment (dark taupe) For you taupe-ophiles, this is a keeper. It is both cool and warm, with a beautiful shimmer - i passed because i got the slightly greener-golder Modern Pewter the first time EDs came out, but i'll probably regret it.
-- Tall Dark and Handsome (black with pearl) is so much nicer than it sounds, because the shimmer has some dimensional color to it, it isn't just silver. If it was just silver, i would have passed, but the hint of multi-color shimmer got me, so i got one.

I'm friendly with nearly all the MUAs at my local MAC, and the one who usually phones me when collections come in said, "We don't get commission, so i'm not trying to sell you. But, seriously, if you think you might want one of the eye shadows, get it, because these are going to sell out fast."

The EDs tend to go on very sheer but THEY GLOW SO BEAUTIFULLY! This is true of the Skinfinishes and the Eye Shadows. If you like powerful intense color, i guess these can be built up a bit. But it seems to me they are much more about the GLOW. They don't have to be very obvious to light up your eyes and face.

The first time around i got Superb SF and only 2 e/s, Blue Orbit and Modern Pewter (one reason i skipped Stolen Moment). I liked them back then, but wasn't totally sold on the EDs. This time i appreciate how they are sheer but really interact with the light.

When you do get to test these, get them into some light. I tested several on my arm in the back room and could barely see them, but when i got my arm into the light, OMG!
Thank you for this, Like someone else said, I can skip the lippies and lipglasses. I think I will focus on the eye colors. I saw Stolen moment and it was already on my list. I was going to try and skip the shadows since I got almost everything from the first release, I hate the smaller size. but these colors sound fabulous. I'm going to go and see my guy next Wednesday. I haven't been able to go sooner b/c of job stress...
I can't make up my mind about the sets, and I'm going to take a chance and wait on them. There is too much coming out, and a lot of great stuff from other lines.

ChosenOne

Since so many people are posting their lists, I guess I'll do the same! Here's what I'm thinking of getting:

Innocence l/s
Outrageously Fun l/s (maybe...trying to resist, but might cave and get it anyway)
Impossibly Sweet l/g
Flight of Fancy l/g
Whisper of Gilt (x2)
Ready to Party EDES (this will be my first time trying this formula, so even though I love a few of the colors, I'm going to start with just one to see how I like it first)
I'm the One
Easy Manner

I was also originally thinking of getting Small Vanity, but after looking at swatches, I've decided it probably wouldn't look right on me. I might try it in the store once the collection is released, but I'm not confident enough that I'll like it to include it in my initial online order.

It's getting close!!!
fluffy.gif

liba

Sounds like buying foundation is a pita. No wonder I don't have any real foundation lol. How do you get the sa's to give you samples without seeming like a freeloader?
Just basically say "I need to try this out for a few days before I decide" and maybe buy something else at the time, like a lipstick, just as a hint that you are someone who does in fact spend money. If they're giving you attitude over that, make sure to ask a different MA to help you next time.

One other thing for anyone getting their foundation matched that I think is #1 important: only ask an MA to help you who has a personal makeup look and style you can relate to. Don't go getting matched from some fake-baked looking lady, when you cherish your super pale complexion, etc. Don't pick someone who has a really thick looking face makeup if you're the type that likes "barely there". Also, if there's anyone there that's close to your age or a bit older, that's good - someone older than you is going to appreciate your youth and how much younger you look and want to beautify and enhance that (although this doesn't cancel out rule #1 ever ever ever).

Also, this is a bit of an over-generalization, but I do find the male MAs are often a little more obsessed with creating makeup that looks like you're not wearing any makeup, so they're often a better resource for color matching. The female MAs are often a little less analytical and more intuitive about colors and love to play, so if that's more your style and it's not busy in the store so no one is feeling rushed, that could work. I've personally had the best experiences with male MAs who have extremely beautiful skin - they ARE wearing a full face 'o makeup for sure, but they look perfectly manly, just flawless. Those are my favorite people for face product tips of all kinds!

Prettypackages

So I just called and got on the list to attend the event for this collection in at MAC Armitage in chicago on tuesday...hopefully I can get off work in time to go (1 hour drive) but soooo worth it...its 10 mins from my boyfriend's house and I can bring a guest...I wonder if he is up to going LOL
I'd go with you if I didn't work in the burbs and take the train...

gorjess678

Just pre-ordered stuff from the collection!! The ladies at the mac counter were SO nice & helpful.

They had a few gift sets in the drawers that she showed me.. adorable!

I ended up getting (And ps.. i have no idea what the actual names are. The book they had, had everything out of order)

Beauty
Outrageously Fun
Superb
Pink Brush set
Pink Palette
Lipgloss set
Hot Pink lipgloss set

I can pick up 10/25 at 10am! SO excited. I'll probably get a few more things when I'm there

Prettypackages

People's skin tones change from tan to lighter in different ways for sure. This summer, I got really tan for me, but it didn't make me much darker, just more olive. As it faded, I had a definite yellow/sallow cast to my skin. In the middle of winter, I run really neutral without any obvious yellow. So basically, I didn't need a different foundation number, but I did need to use a different formula in the same number, that had a yellower cast. I go with the cream Mineralize SPF15 in NC15 for most of the year, but switch to Matchmaster 1.0 for the months where I really do not have any tan left. (I can still use the Mineralize even then, but it needs a little powder along with it to perfect it). For Matchmaster, when I was at my tannest, I really could not use the 1.0 at all and the 1.5 wasn't right either. It just wasn't a good match in the undertones.

Someone else might get a lot redder in summer, then go pink/pale as it fades, and some are going to be more noticeably brown or even orangey, then fade from there. Some people's undertones just don't change much but just get lighter or darker, but my guess is this is less common. Staying with one formula in 2 different shades could work, but it's not going to work on everyone, or even most everyone.
Just basically say "I need to try this out for a few days before I decide" and maybe buy something else at the time, like a lipstick, just as a hint that you are someone who does in fact spend money. If they're giving you attitude over that, make sure to ask a different MA to help you next time.

One other thing for anyone getting their foundation matched that I think is #1 important: only ask an MA to help you who has a personal makeup look and style you can relate to. Don't go getting matched from some fake-baked looking lady, when you cherish your super pale complexion, etc. Don't pick someone who has a really thick looking face makeup if you're the type that likes "barely there". Also, if there's anyone there that's close to your age or a bit older, that's good - someone older than you is going to appreciate your youth and how much younger you look and want to beautify and enhance that (although this doesn't cancel out rule #1 ever ever ever).

Also, this is a bit of an over-generalization, but I do find the male MAs are often a little more obsessed with creating makeup that looks like you're not wearing any makeup, so they're often a better resource for color matching. The female MAs are often a little less analytical and more intuitive about colors and love to play, so if that's more your style and it's not busy in the store so no one is feeling rushed, that could work. I've personally had the best experiences with male MAs who have extremely beautiful skin - they ARE wearing a full face 'o makeup for sure, but they look perfectly manly, just flawless. Those are my favorite people for face product tips of all kinds!
One of my fave and most helpful MA artist was a guy at the pro store. He not only matched me perfectly, showed me how to use the products, but he also gave me application techniques. Wouldn't let me buy a bunch of stuff I didn't need. I don't go to see him much b/c I'm not driving anymore and there are other stores that are easier for me to get too. But he was awesome. One of my best experiences.

I also got really tanned this Summer, and like you, I didn't get darker, but redder, which made finding a foundation hard as hell this summer. I couldn't go the next shade up b/c it was too dark, and I couldn't wear my normal shade (Nars Matte Cadiz). I was like a Golden Red. I found a TM, and a foundation by Bobbi Brown (6.5). But that was still a smidgen to dark, but had the golden tones I needed.

Ok, sorry to get off topic, just wanted to share. LOL

HoneyMilk

Sounds like buying foundation is a pita. No wonder I don't have any real foundation lol. How do you get the sa's to give you samples without seeming like a freeloader?
Honestly, after I was wrongly color matched I had NO problem returning the product. I explained that I asked to be matched, I tried it for quite a while and I'm not seeing how this matches. They returned it and re-color matched me.

theprimrosy

i got an invite today for the event but im not sure if im going to go. i like ordering ahead of time online.
I live in new york also, which store did you get an invite for if you don't mind me asking. I really want to go to an event on the 16th but my two main stores are only having events on the 25th and 7th
WTF2.gif

Jenrbelt

I have been suffering from makeup withdrawl lately since I missed out on all the Marilyn goodies! Hurry Gamourdaze I need you! My last Mac purchase was Style Seeker, so to make myself feel better about missing Marilyn I bought the Too Faced Shadow Bon Bon palette today...maybe I need to rethink my Glamourdaze shadows again! :shock:

Miss Dynamite

I need more eyeshadow swatches, so confused on which ones I want. So far I've narrowed my list down to

Feminine Edge
Ready To Party
Divine Blue
Stylish Merry
Tall, Dark and Handsome
Whisper of Gilt