MAC Metal X 2011 Discussion

MACina

That`s true....I have 4 of these and love them all!

I do not have any problems with creasing and they are really easy to apply.

So sad these get bad reviews...i still like my Vintage Coin a lot. I have oily lids and TFSI and only using thin layers is working great for me.

MACina

I got Palladium,Virgin Silver,Gold Carbon and Cyber.

Virgin Silver is also very lovely on the cheeks!

MACcrazy

That sounds like a great idea! I'll try that out is this a mac freestanding store and online only collection?

elegant-one

I never seem to have issues with these & I have no idea why. I usually use my fingers & pat it lightly into the lid. I will probably get Rusty, Red Hot Copper & maybe Venetian. My original ones are cracked :(

Allura Beauty

Quote:
I never seem to have issues with these & I have no idea why. I usually use my fingers & pat it lightly into the lid. I will probably get Rusty, Red Hot Copper & maybe Venetian. My original ones are cracked :(

Mine too. Even one of the new ones I received was cracked already.

paparazziboy

i actually like them. the press release said they are not reformulated but i was told by some on one the inside they are and i have the old ones as well as the new ones and i can defiantly see the difference

elegant-one

Mine too. Even one of the new ones I received was cracked already.

icon_eek.gif
NO way! ok, that is not good at all. Was it dried out?

Allura Beauty

Quote:
i actually like them. the press release said they are not reformulated but i was told by some on one the inside they are and i have the old ones as well as the new ones and i can defiantly see the difference
I don't see any significant different between my old ones and the new formula.

Allura Beauty

icon_eek.gif
NO way! ok, that is not good at all. Was it dried out?
Yeah, my Vintage Coin already had a couple.

But it didn't see many drier than the rest. I think it's just the nature of "pressing" creams--they don't hold their shape like powders do, so you get cracks over time. And as they dry out they change shape too.

HOTasFCUK

^ Ohhh those cracks aren't too bad! I have some from when they first came out and its more of a gash then a crack now LOL its super deep you can see inside!

I foudn the best way to use my old gilded ash is to just pat it on over eyeshadow with my finger. I'm still on the fence about these. I really like Palladium and maybe the Gold Carbon and i have dry skin......but still debating. The only cream eyeshadow that creases on me is my NARS Mousson. My main issue is having the creams hadows go on chunky or scaley like alligator skin. There were some suggestions on here a few pages back to layer thinly though.

Mac-Guy

Oily lidded ladies, these could work with TFSI, did anyone try that??? And yeah, I am thinking the silver one would be great as a creamy cheek highlighter...MACGuy

I'm rocking Venetian Tarnish as a cheek highlight over Barbara Ann blushette and Genuine Treasure on the lids on a Caribbean beach right now. It's absolutely gorgeous
flower.gif

LMD84

I'm rocking Venetian Tarnish as a cheek highlight over Barbara Ann blushette and Genuine Treasure on the lids on a Caribbean beach right now. It's absolutely gorgeous
flower.gif
oh wow! i bet you look fabulous! i am super jealous though - i want to join you on that beach!!!

Anitacska

I got Palladium, Fusion Gold and Cyber and I actually quite like them. They do crease, but not too badly, and with these light shades it's not very noticable. I don't think I'd want the darker colours though.

MACina

I think that Fusion Gold looks very pretty on the cheeks too!

Unfortunatly it is not available here in Germany....

I got Palladium, Fusion Gold and Cyber and I actually quite like them. They do crease, but not too badly, and with these light shades it's not very noticable. I don't think I'd want the darker colours though.

martiangurll

I forgot the name of it, but the olive green one may be nice. Maybe these will do allright with an airtight container to preserve them and applied over TFSI. I am finding thin layers of creamy eye products (like PP and FL) over TFSI and then really blend out works alright for me and cuts down on the lizard skin effect. I keep my gel and cream eyeproducts in an airtight make up bag and store them upside down, and I keep the lids on tight. I have not invested in a make up fridge yet...but considering it

Mac-Guy

I forgot the name of it, but the olive green one may be nice. Maybe these will do allright with an airtight container to preserve them and applied over TFSI. I am finding thin layers of creamy eye products (like PP and FL) over TFSI and then really blend out works alright for me and cuts down on the lizard skin effect. I keep my gel and cream eyeproducts in an airtight make up bag and store them upside down, and I keep the lids on tight. I have not invested in a make up fridge yet...but considering it

Vintage Coin?

liba

Well, call me IMPRESSED!

I couldn't get to my usual store yesterday, but I did pop in at another store just long enough to give these a quick look. Here are my very positive thoughts!

- they're definitely a bit variable by color. some seem a bit less tightly bound, so those will be sheerer and more prone to creasing, fading and otherwise reacting to your skin oils and the other products you have on underneath. Virgin White seems like the most obvious culprit - I wore it after a really quick 'n dirty application in the store and had some creasing and fading on one eye, but not the other. However, with a careful application at home with the right brush (instead of applied with my finger off a spatula), I'm sure it can be dealt with.

- I bought Venetian Tarnish, which is warmer, with a more peachy cast than Genuine Treasure and Golden Gaze MES, which are both cooler, dirtier and smokier. Overall, I prefer the mid tone and darker colors in this range, they're stiffer and less oily than a lot of the lighter ones (see above).

- The split fiber eye brushes from Semi-Precious are without a doubt the best brushes I own to apply these. I tried my other synthetic and goat brushes and none were as good. With the SP brushes, I get the smoothest, lightest and most even application - which also results in ZERO creasing for me and long lasting color. I had VT on for 4+ hours last night before I went to bed and had no changes at all.

- You have to take the lightest sweep of the brush across the pan - don't expect to see a strong, metallic amount of product on the brush or see a dent or swipe mark left in the pan. There will be plenty of product on the brush even still to get plenty of color on your lid this way, without running the risk of applying too thick a layer. You only need a wisp on the brush, but you will get a payoff.

- My eyelids are seriously getting too old for a lot of the denser paint pots - they're just too thick and heavy and they accentuate every little wrinkle and are quite aging. I think I'm pretty much going to give up on paint pots, unless they're of the sheerer type like Genuine Treasure. BUT, these Metal X are JUST the right lightness to get a fabulous foiled effect while smoothing out my skin texture and covering all imperfections. They're not quite as perfect in this department as the Big Bounce shadows (which are truly age defying and long lasting, if sheerer and sparklier than Metal X). They don't work as well as a base for a powder shadow as the BBs either - those Big Bounce just form that perfect second skin-like layer when they dry down that grips any powder particles you put on top, while these are creamier and more emollient, with less dry down and less strong gripping power. However, they're not drying on the eye like so many metallic products and there's no fallout.

- one layer of VT will get you good color that can be blended all the way up to the brow for a subtle smokey effect. A second thin layer on the lid is more than enough for a very strong metallic effect - you really don't need more unless you are going for a costumey look. I liked it on the lips too with a little light nude gloss over - it wasn't too drying, although obviously more drying than a normal lipstick. Nothing a little balm can't deal with if you apply it first.

- I personally wouldn't want to have a moist, oily, powdery or thick primer or base on my eyes before applying these, as it would probably cause a reaction and the texture and lasting power would be compromised. A little Vibrancy Eye Prep & Prime under a light touch of Matchmaster foundation was more than enough - those plus my eye moisturizer were applied much earlier in the day and were obviously very absorbed and that was fine. I wouldn't necessarily think putting these on a bare lid would give the best results, either. You want a nice smooth and evenly dry surface and then you will get your best effect. It's not anything too complicated.

- Overall, I think this is a very easy product to use, if you're not overthinking your skin prep or your application and are using a feather-light amount of product. If you don't expect to see a bunch of product on your brush before you apply, you will be rewarded with a perfect foiled eye, especially if you're older and need something that's not too heavy and is smoothing and softening to your eye texture. If you're younger, there are other products that will give you a denser, thicker effect, but if you'd rather have something very smooth and light, this will be up your alley too.

- I'm definitely going to go back for more colors. I suppose the only other long-term issue will be if these dry out, but I honestly feel that if you are not grinding your brush into the pan and only picking up the lightest layers that don't disturb the ridges, it will prolong the life of the product too. Scraping a teeny bit from the edges with a spatula is another good idea, but it'll be easier to wind up with more product than you actually need to get the beautiful effect (would be a good way to take some for the lips though). I wouldn't necessarily say this is the best cream shadow texture ever in the history of mankind, but it's quite excellent in its lightness, smoothness and youthfulness and it's better than a powder or a heavier paint pot if you're not such a spring chicken any more and want sexy and effortless looking foiled eyes.