MAC Metal X 2011 Discussion

MACcrazy

^ Yeah, at my usual MAC counter almost everything was sold out and I had to hunt down Vintage Coin like a mad woman!

MACcrazy

That's the colour i have as well! Have you tried it already? If you have Winterized mes try it on top, i love that combination.

Not yet I had just got it today and yes I do have winterized and that sounds like a great combo! Are you able to wear more then one color at a time without creasing or did you just get that shade? I'm not sure about your location, but its sold out everywhere in ohio! I had to go to my unloved Saks location and even there I got the last one!

Pinkdollface

Not yet I had just got it today and yes I do have winterized and that sounds like a great combo! Are you able to wear more then one color at a time without creasing or did you just get that shade? I'm not sure about your location, but its sold out everywhere in ohio! I had to go to my unloved Saks location and even there I got the last one!
I only have VC. To prevent creasing try to stay on the lid, use thin layers and only blend the tiniest bit into the crease. I hope you will like it! I live in the netherlands so on the other side of the world
tong.gif

liba

I've had ZERO creasing issues with VT and VC (haven't opened up Palladium yet) and it's been lasting for 4-5 hours and beyond without fading, with and without primer underneath.

Here is the trick:

Q: How much product is enough for a "light layer". like everyone is talking about?

A: Swirl your brush very lightly once or twice around the edge of the pan. When you look at the brush, it should look as if you don't have any product on it, just a tint and some sparkles - in other words, if you see any sign of a buttery, thick metallic layer, you have too much! Use for both eyes in that case, instead of one eye. You should not see any dent in the texture of the pan - you are not rubbing or grinding your brush into the pan at all, just lightly picking up the sheerest topmost layer of product. It's not that intuitive - you may think you just don't have enough on your brush, but you will!

Apply with a window-wiper motion so that the color is evenly spread and blending/melting into the skin. This layer will dry very fast - by the time you do both eyes, you'll be ready to get another thin layer from the pan and do a second layer on the first eye. 2-3 layers is enough.

The best brush I have for it, by far, is the small split fiber eye brush from Semi-Precious, using the dark haired side (the natural hair side). Any medium-soft brush with very smooth hairs ought to work. I didn't like any goat hair brushes (white hair like the 217) and my pure synthetic, stiff brushes were too stiff to properly blend the color into the skin evenly.

'Just remember, you will get a very shiny and shimmering foiled effect, but it won't be the really dense, thick, opaque gilded, gold leaf look. If you want a look like that, this is just the wrong product, period. If you try and force it, you will get creasing, unevenness, poor dry down and just generally will be disappointed. Personally, I love the effect - it's gorgeous....dramatic, yet soft. I'm probably going to wind up with a few more of them before they disappear! 'Hope this helps - everyone should get good results and look beautiful!

Pinkdollface

I did see product on my brush before aplication, so i used a thicker layer, but it didn't crease on me. I used the 242 and it was great for application. I will try the thinner methode, maybe i will like VC even more then!

Teggy

I'm contemplating Vintage Coin and Fusion Gold...but not for traditional wear. I got a new tattoo and I want to fill in the image with various shadows, lipliners, eyeliners so I can change it daily. My concern is that with it being on my wrist, the formula is going to rub off quickly. Am I right? Should I not even bother?

martiangurll

I'm contemplating Vintage Coin and Fusion Gold...but not for traditional wear. I got a new tattoo and I want to fill in the image with various shadows, lipliners, eyeliners so I can change it daily. My concern is that with it being on my wrist, the formula is going to rub off quickly. Am I right? Should I not even bother?

I am wondering if you primed it with TFSI, then set it with something like Urban Decay All-Nighter then powder, maybe it would stay put? I think it is a cool idea. But you could fill in with pigments, body paint (they have lots at Sephora) or magic markers and it would stay longer and cost less probably. MUFE has really good cream e/s that really last, and I would use those for your purposes...

VampOwl

I swatched a few of these last night at the Mac counter, and Venetian Tarnish and Gold Carbon are absolutely gorgeous. I'm still debating if they are worth all of the effort though to make them not crease! But maybe I will try one of them, I'm leaning towards Venetian Tarnish but they are both so tempting!

liba

I just noticed Venetian Tarnish is back on the US MAC site. If Genuine Treasure p/p was too sheer and glitter for you, you owe it to yourself to pick up VT while it's still around. It's one of the best bronzes I've ever had and the star of this collection. Perfect color, perfect buildability, perfect amount of sheen and sparkle and very smoothing to my eye skin texture and gentle on the skin. I normally don't back up eye shadows but I may get an extra of this one. This will be one of my top MAC products of 2012.

Mac-Guy

VT is truly the star of the Metal X. While Genuine Treasure is a great base, VT works best applied over an e/s to give that extra sparkle. Lovely!

martiangurll

VT is truly the star of the Metal X. While Genuine Treasure is a great base, VT works best applied over an e/s to give that extra sparkle. Lovely!

Do you use a base like TFSI or UDPP then powder e/s then VT? I have noticed using plain face powder between my PP and my powder e/s or MES seems to help things last. I call it e/s sandwich.

liba

Do you use a base like TFSI or UDPP then powder e/s then VT? I have noticed using plain face powder between my PP and my powder e/s or MES seems to help things last. I call it e/s sandwich.
Personally I just use the it straight over Prep & Prime Vibrancy Eye - my eyelids are dry and I love the sheen of the Metal X on its own. Don't really have any unusual wear issues. I have tried powder shadow with it for different looks, but my favorite is letting it take primary place.

martiangurll

Personally I just use the it straight over Prep & Prime Vibrancy Eye - my eyelids are dry and I love the sheen of the Metal X on its own. Don't really have any unusual wear issues. I have tried powder shadow with it for different looks, but my favorite is letting it take primary place.
Does this help with that lizard skin effect I get on my haggly old wrinkled lids? Cuz if it does, I will swap it out for my TFSI

liba

Does this help with that lizard skin effect I get on my haggly old wrinkled lids? Cuz if it does, I will swap it out for my TFSI
I love that stuff - use it every day. My main thing is puffy bags under my eyes and this stuff is the next level up from Fast Response cream, which used to be my go-to depuffer even though it was sort of harsh. Vibrancy Eye depuffs, illuminates, color corrects, does some light concealing and acts as a base, without being tough on the skin. I've been getting extra nice results lately between this and the Mineralize eye cream - my lids are looking noticeably smoother.

I find that heavier, oiler stuff, like paint pots, bring out the wrinkly lids rather than minimize them for me. Honestly, if I need extra smoothing, I bust out my Big Bounce shadows and use them as a base. I'd say get a P&PVE sample and see what you think. I definitely fall in the camp of using skin care products to minimize eye issues, rather than heavier coverage or filler techniques, but that's not everyone's taste, so I feel like I ought to qualify my comments.
type.gif