mac pigment reformulation

sleepyhead

i don't think mac announced this, but i went to the counter today and saw the pigments, some of them looked really different, so i swatched all the ones they had. right away, i can tell that old gold and teal are nothing like the original color.
angry.gif

the new teal is like the ones from holiday 2008 set. they are more green, matte with silver sheen floating on top. and old gold just looked wrong...

as far as i can tell, golden olive is quite different too (it's more olive and less green). but i didn't ask for a sample, so i don't know for sure.

kitschmas is like the original LE release, not like the version from regular line. although the difference is minor

copper sparkle is more reddish and slightly darker and smoother, so it's more like rushmetal than the original copper sparkle

a few other colors (like violet and cornflower) also looked a little different, but that might just be b/c the sheen was rubbing off b/c i was outside (44 degrees with humidex, that's about 110 farenheit!) for 20 minutes. i'll probably go to the store one of these days and bring my pigments with me to compare. and my counter only has a very limited selection of pigments, i wonder what happened to the ones i haven't seen. sigh... i'm NOT happy about this
girl_devil.gif

anyhoo, for your viewing pleasure, here are the comparison swatches of original and new old gold + teal. i bought the new teal and got a sample of old gold, so these are swatched at the same time after i got home. everything is swatched dry over dampened skin

old gold (original version on the right, new version on the left)
oldGold.jpg

oldGold3.jpg

oldGold2.jpg

teal (original on the left, holiday 2008 in the middle, the new version on the right)
teal.jpg

LMD84

what the freak is going on!? to be honest i much prefer the old teal. i have an old teal jar and the holiday 08 one and the 08 vial isn't great looking to me
th_dunno.gif

and old gold is a pigment where i only have a large sample of but really want a full size - teh new version sucks ass! where is the green duo-chrome?!

and luckily i have golden olive and such already - but old gold sucks!

MzzRach

Wow, the new version of Teal is not nearly as pretty as the original - which is so rich and luscious.

WTF, MAC?
nonono.gif

FiestyFemme

Wow, I'm not happy about Old Gold! I have an old jar, but it's almost gone, so I was excited to see the new pigments at the counter. I haven't swatched it yet, but man, that's dissapointing!
ssad.gif

1165Cheryl

It's amazing how many they change... they changed teal awhile back but I was hoping it was temporary. Around every other order I get in I see a differance in aleast 1 color and 99.9% it's for the worse
ssad.gif
They are really changing the textures, many of the ones like teal, golden olive, golden lemon type of texture are the one's I've been noticing the most. I wonder if they are doing it because of mfg reason due to the new jar style and a finer texture is easier to work with??? I dont know....but do know like everyone else I like the old versions better. With Mac's pigments I personally prefer textures like vanilla or the old teal.

xKiKix

aw crap, i brought teal pigment in the new jar hoping that it wouldn't look like the one from the holiday set. hmmm, kinda disappointed now.

DILLIGAF

I have most of the pigments mentioned in the old jars. Now instead of freely giving friends samples I'm going to have to hoard. Im really disappointed if thats the way that teal currently swatches. Not a good change. Maybe if we complain collectively they will consider changing it back?

lazytolove

Thanks for the info.
Honestly i don't like the new packaging at all. I haven't purchase any MAC pigment ever since.

Caderas

yeah, I was SO unbelievably disappointed when I tested out my Teal vial from the holiday set. it's so disgusting compared to the original formula! the original is so rich and buttery, and new one.. a no-go, never ever again. if i find any of the original jars, i'm hoppin' on!

MACATTAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazytolove
Thanks for the info.
Honestly i don't like the new packaging at all. I haven't purchase any MAC pigment ever since.

Yup, same for me. I refuse to buy the new pigments.
ssad.gif

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1165Cheryl
It's amazing how many they change... they changed teal awhile back but I was hoping it was temporary. Around every other order I get in I see a differance in aleast 1 color and 99.9% it's for the worse
ssad.gif
They are really changing the textures, many of the ones like teal, golden olive, golden lemon type of texture are the one's I've been noticing the most. I wonder if they are doing it because of mfg reason due to the new jar style and a finer texture is easier to work with??? I dont know....but do know like everyone else I like the old versions better. With Mac's pigments I personally prefer textures like vanilla or the old teal.

I think I noticed this "new texture" with the Alice & Olivia pigments. I didn't get Partylicious because the pigment was dry and crumbly and powdery, almost more like a loose eye shadow from a mineral line rather than a pigment. I didn't like it at all. All three were that way to some degree, but I really loved the color of Later. so I got it anyway.

Like a lot of you, I've been avoiding the new pigment packaging so I hadn't really noticed until now.

LMD84

yes i have not had a pigment in the new jars yet. but i have a cp coming for the alice and olivia ones. and from swatches i can tell they do look dryer than other pigments. how odd indeed that mac are doing this!

Kirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caderas
yeah, I was SO unbelievably disappointed when I tested out my Teal vial from the holiday set. it's so disgusting compared to the original formula! the original is so rich and buttery, and new one.. a no-go, never ever again. if i find any of the original jars, i'm hoppin' on!

ITA, I got a holiday vial of Teal & thought it was so blah. I really couldn't see why everyone loved it so much. It was a flat boring colour.

Now I see why, the original Teal is so gorgeous.
yes.gif
Stupid vial ruined Teal for me!

NotteRequiem

I wonder if anyone else who has Teal from the new jars could perhaps post a swatch? I'm hoping it was just a bad batch, but... ugh, this is so depressing.

xKiKix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotteRequiem
I wonder if anyone else who has Teal from the new jars could perhaps post a swatch? I'm hoping it was just a bad batch, but... ugh, this is so depressing.

i brought teal from the new jars but unfortunately I dont own the original teal to compare.

NotteRequiem

Maybe the next time I go to a MAC F/S, Ill swatch Teal and then come home to compare it against my original.

I wonder what else they've bogied around with. We knew e/s formulas had been comprimised, but I've always been a huge pigment user.

xKiKix

so i curiously swatched deep blue green pigment sample i got from the hello kitty collection with the one in the new jar. they're the same texture and color, i only swatched it dry. maybe there is hope that it's only with certain pigments.