mac pigment reformulation

Miss Dynamite

I have a new jar of Teal and the vial of Teal, both look quite different. The vial is like a dark powdery teal/green with some silver sparkle, the new jar of Teal is very smooth and pigmented with a very beautiful shimmer to it. I ordered my new jar of Teal in March, so if they changed it, it was after that.

xKiKix

Couldn't resist myself, so i swatched Deep Blue Green pigment with Fix+.
001.png

Under Vanity Lighting
002.png

Under Natural Lighting
003.png

Do you see a difference?
th_dunno.gif

sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dynamite
I have a new jar of Teal and the vial of Teal, both look quite different. The vial is like a dark powdery teal/green with some silver sparkle, the new jar of Teal is very smooth and pigmented with a very beautiful shimmer to it. I ordered my new jar of Teal in March, so if they changed it, it was after that.

Maybe, the batch code on mine (the one i got yesterday) is A10. i REALLY hope it's just a bad batch. if it's a bad batch, doesn't mac have quality control?!

mac has changed formula without notifications before though. they changed the frozen white a couple of years ago, and i haven't seen a batch like the original formula ever since
cry.gif

1165Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotteRequiem
I wonder if anyone else who has Teal from the new jars could perhaps post a swatch? I'm hoping it was just a bad batch, but... ugh, this is so depressing.

Sorry to say it's not a bad batch. I get orders in on a regular basis and the newer batch#'s all have this new texture/color so we are stuck wih this teal
ssad.gif

I also found out this week MP discontinued all the Cryst. Glitters...

1165Cheryl

Quote:
We knew e/s formulas had been comprimised, but I've always been a huge pigment user.

Like you I'm a big pigment user, thats all I wear....MAC and my line.

I have a new jar of teal batch #A18 and it's the funny one and doesnt stay on as well as the original. It is better then the vials though if that helps.

It's like when they changed white gold...I have a few jars and the older one's had more gold to it compared to the more recent that have a greenish tone. They make these changes but dont consider them "reformulated" even though they are. People use old jars to compare to fakes, thats hard to do with MAC making changes without people knowing (unless the jar/box clearly shows it's a fake)

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1165Cheryl
Sorry to say it's not a bad batch. I get orders in on a regular basis and the newer batch#'s all have this new texture/color so we are stuck wih this teal
ssad.gif

I also found out this week MP discontinued all the Cryst. Glitters...

i love those glitters! not as much as the reflects but still! why mac?!

sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy415
can you compare it with the foiling method sleepy head? maybe it might be similar ..?

nope! i tried the old gold sample over different paintpot and also foiled with mixing medium

the original old gold looks like green shimmer "floating" on a sheer reddish brown base. the new version is like mixed everything together. it just doesn't have the dimension no matter what

new version of old gold on top, original on the bottom
left to right: applied dry over moss scape, delft, pure white chromaline, blackground. foiled with mixing medium on bare skin

direct sunlight
oldGold2-1.jpg

indoor natural lighting
oldGold1.jpg

erine1881

Quote:
If they've reformulated and they didn't say anything... super shady. Not happy.

MAC reformulates products alot, and they don't give notification to the public, just us artists. everything has been reformulated within the past few years: bronzers, glosses, powders, foundations, lipsticks, etc. lipglass was reformulated in2005, and plushlash and mascara x were reformulated in 2008. it just happens.

i do know that old gold was reformulated in 2006, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF
I have most of the pigments mentioned in the old jars. Now instead of freely giving friends samples I'm going to have to hoard. Im really disappointed if thats the way that teal currently swatches. Not a good change. Maybe if we complain collectively they will consider changing it back?

reformulations are usually based on the cost/availability of ingredients used to make the product. if they switched to a less expensive or more available ingredient, they won't switch back if people complain. sorry, but its the truth.

xKiKix

I guess there's really nothing we can do until Mac does another reformulation, and hope that it'll be better

sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881
MAC reformulates products alot, and they don't give notification to the public, just us artists. everything has been reformulated within the past few years: bronzers, glosses, powders, foundations, lipsticks, etc. lipglass was reformulated in2005, and plushlash and mascara x were reformulated in 2008. it just happens.

i do know that old gold was reformulated in 2006, so...

reformulations are usually based on the cost/availability of ingredients used to make the product. if they switched to a less expensive or more available ingredient, they won't switch back if people complain. sorry, but its the truth.

that make sense. i bought my old gold quite a few years back. for those that liked the original old gold, MUFE star powder #957 is an exact dupe.

and it's good to know that i'm not just imagining that my lipglasses are going bad faster than they used to
girl_devil.gif

Erin, do you by any chance have a list of pigments that have been reformulated in the last few years? i feel bad asking for samples at my counter (i don't think they would give it to me either), and it's hard to bring all my pigments to the counter to compare

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead
that make sense. i bought my old gold quite a few years back. for those that liked the original old gold, MUFE star powder #957 is an exact dupe.

and it's good to know that i'm not just imagining that my lipglasses are going bad faster than they used to
girl_devil.gif

Erin, do you by any chance have a list of pigments that have been reformulated in the last few years? i feel bad asking for samples at my counter (i don't think they would give it to me either), and it's hard to bring all my pigments to the counter to compare

yeah that would be really handy actually...

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead
girl_devil.gif

They really are! I've had some go bad in months now, while others I've had for years are still fine, vanilla scent and all. It's crazy!

NotteRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyFemme
They really are! I've had some go bad in months now, while others I've had for years are still fine, vanilla scent and all. It's crazy!

Good thing I'm not a lipglass user. The only ones I use [and I go through them -quickly-] are Prr, Nymphette and Love Nectar.

But it's good to know that they do reformulate. I'll keep this in mind when purchasing new products.

Simply Elegant

I've never had a gloss product go bad as fast as MAC's, not even cheapest of the cheap drugstore/dollar store stuff. MAC is giving us every reason to not buy pigments.

NotteRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
I've never had a gloss product go bad as fast as MAC's, not even cheapest of the cheap drugstore/dollar store stuff. MAC is giving us every reason to not buy pigments.

Or just "Keep it in the family" And sell/swap the old jar pigments. Which is what I've been doing since I heard about the new jars.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelove4tequila
OMG how dare they mess with Old Gold! That was such a unique and beautiful color!

i know! it's one of my faves!
ssad.gif