mac pigment reformulation

ashleydenise

ew, not cool. I really haven't been interested in purchasing pigments since the new jars came out but now I really will have to WANT what I get and purchase in store not online =[

xsuzyqx

I talked to one of the gals at my counter the other day, and she said that the reason the pigment jars were changed was specifically so they could KEEP the original formulas. She was told by corporate that the ingredients used in the pigments were starting to get expensive, and so the only way MAC could afford to keep the same formulas for pigments was to cut costs on the jars, which is why they are smaller.

I told her about the teal swatches I saw here, and she said it's possible they were bad jars. I haven't purchased pigments since the new packaging so I can't personally compare. :\

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsuzyqx
I talked to one of the gals at my counter the other day, and she said that the reason the pigment jars were changed was specifically so they could KEEP the original formulas. She was told by corporate that the ingredients used in the pigments were starting to get expensive, and so the only way MAC could afford to keep the same formulas for pigments was to cut costs on the jars, which is why they are smaller.

I told her about the teal swatches I saw here, and she said it's possible they were bad jars. I haven't purchased pigments since the new packaging so I can't personally compare. :

this is partially true. yes, ingredients to make pigments were getting more expensive, and so that they didn't increase the price, they made the packaging smaller.

however, like with any product, sometimes the formula must change due to the availability of certain ingredients. lets say they use colour #16 to make a product. then lets say colour #16 is either no longer available, costs to much, whatever. since they can't use #16, they decide to use #20 which is more readily available and is cost beneficial. so they start using colour #20, which does tend to make the product darker, less sparkly, etc. this is what happens with every product. no one product has had the same formulation as it did when it first came out (with the exception of newer products of course).

as for teal pigment specifically. its not a bad batch. as you all remember, the last holiday set had the different teal, and now the different teal is in the new jars at all locations. its the reformulation, and its here to stay. until its reformulated, again, that is.

xsuzyqx

Thanks for the clarification, Erine.
smiles.gif

Rita Baumann

I bought an old Teal at a CCO recently - but I was on a road trip (I actually went to 3 of them). It was either Pleasant Prairie WI, Aurora OH or Niagara Falls NY.

1165Cheryl

Thanks Erine
smiles.gif
Unless someone is in the business & see's MACS products on a regular basis's people have no idea. I use to post here each time I'd get a MAC order in and saw a change. That way people who bought samples, full jars or whatever would know about that "differance" instead of thinking the product was a fake. Then so many things started changing at the same time and the new jars came out so my postings got less & less
ssad.gif

Like Erine said, it's common for micas to be discontinued or one that use to cost 4.00-7.00 for a ounce get raised to 15.00. Along with my MAC I also make my own line so I see on a regular basis certain colors no longer being made or the price being to high for an "unfinished" product.. Recently I've noticed a few loose mineral providers are closing down so all those colors people use to get from them will now have to find a replacement....just like MAC has to do. Most mica companys carry many of the same products but they also have their "specilaity or own creations" and thats where it's a pain since that distroys my whole outcome for some of my colors. Changing 1 color in the ingredients can make a huge differance or subtle one. So the same is for large companys like MAC.

With MACS as soon as I see a color change and I know it's not just a bad batch I try and keep a 1/2 jar of a original jar for myself. 99% of the time I like the original much better then the new formulated. Many colors have changed over the years and some since they changed the jars. It could be people are noticing it more now because of the jar change?? I know for me most of my shimmery MAC stock (I get directly from them) quite a few of the colors look different. I dont know if thats because of a possible texture breaks up due to mixing it more since the top is so much smaller? That along with a ingredient change which can explain why those are not considered "re-formulated"

When I make a new color the texture can easily change the more I mix it, the colors/micas break down becoming finer in texure. Different colors have different type of textures like "silver fog" compared to "silver" . When I'm filling samples by the time I get to the bottom of a jar the texture is different. I pour the new style jar pigment into a old to make it easier to meaurse but if purposely shook up the jar in time the pigment would change more and more. Acourse this isnt rule for each and every color since there so many different finish's, just info from my personal experience.

Personally I like textures like MACS vanilla or their original teal or violet which we are seeing less & less of. One's like teal & violet are the colors we are seeing darker and with a finer texture. There's not many colors left with the texture of those 2 (older version)...sad
ssad.gif

rhondavancouver

Wow - shady!
I haven't purchased any of the 'new' pigments yet... but I was planning on getting melon, tan and rose... now I might run around to different stores to find pigments in the old packaging...
Thanks for sharing!!!

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondavancouver
Wow - shady!
I haven't purchased any of the 'new' pigments yet... but I was planning on getting melon, tan and rose... now I might run around to different stores to find pigments in the old packaging...
Thanks for sharing!!!

sorry, but you won't be able to find any of the older jars at stores. all locations have sent out all inventories of the older jars. you can only find them at CCOs now.

LMD84

but on the plus side i have been to cco's in the uk and the states over the past couple of months and they are stocked with pigments! it's awesome! so grab em while you can!
smiles.gif

dangerousmuffins

Somewhat timely post, I was going through my stash and trying to do a spreadsheet and realized I have a few pigments that I have multiple on.

The same pigment, some do have some different shades going on through the different batch #'s.

For an example:
Pure White
4938796851_8a2be41dd7_z.jpg

I am going to go through some more jars and I will post them here for reference for people.

And also, I should note, all of the above pigments were bought at MAC. All 3 are real.

Shoegal-fr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1165Cheryl
Like you I'm a big pigment user, thats all I wear....MAC and my line.

I have a new jar of teal batch #A18 and it's the funny one and doesnt stay on as well as the original. It is better then the vials though if that helps.

It's like when they changed white gold...I have a few jars and the older one's had more gold to it compared to the more recent that have a greenish tone. They make these changes but dont consider them "reformulated" even though they are. People use old jars to compare to fakes, thats hard to do with MAC making changes without people knowing (unless the jar/box clearly shows it's a fake)

How weird. I have the exact same batch of Teal #A18 and mine looks really rich and smooth and pigmented
th_dunno.gif

SakurasamaLover

So, everyone knows how Teal pigment got a major formula change a bit more then a year and half ago, like the dreaded vial in the Little Darling set?
I was wondering if you had seen an other change recently? I say that because I remember swatching the one that came in the Noble Knights lash and line kit, and it seemed re reformulated if it makes any sense. It was a lot more like the old version, more smooth and metallic teal, not a darker greenish silver powdery mess.

Am I hallucinating, anyone have any input on this?

LMD84

So, everyone knows how Teal pigment got a major formula change a bit more then a year and half ago, like the dreaded vial in the Little Darling set?
I was wondering if you had seen an other change recently? I say that because I remember swatching the one that came in the Noble Knights lash and line kit, and it seemed re reformulated if it makes any sense. It was a lot more like the old version, more smooth and metallic teal, not a darker greenish silver powdery mess.

Am I hallucinating, anyone have any input on this?
ooohh that would be amazing if they have changed it back to the way it was! i love my old teal so much!