MAC Pressed Pigment Collection Discussion (December 2012)

martiangurll

Actually, I'd go for Ice MES - it's the same color as Light Touch with all the wonderful wet look clear sparkle but minus the chunky glitter confetti.
Awwwww. we no likey the ninja glitter stars of doom? They have been giving my sensitive eyes fits! that being said, I love Beaming (the warm, flesh tones one) and I got Day Gleam too. Really want the smoky brown & the black with rainbow glitter one also.

I do like the idea of trying the flesh toned PP as a highlighter, anyone give that a try?

lilinah

Whew! My eyes felt normal when i woke up. So i decided to try out my Pressed Pigments.

Let me note that i always put eye moisturizer and anti-oxidant serum on my eyes after i cleanse my face - otherwise the skin hurts just sitting there. Then i do the skin care on the rest of my face, ending with mineral sunscreen creme, extending it under my brow. I let that sink in as i get out the makeup i want to use. So i definitely need to use an eye primer most of the time.

I patted Too Faced Glitter Glue on my eyelids and up a tad past my crease.

I dabbed a brush similar to the MAC 215 (Sonia Kashuk Bamboo Chic Flat Shader Brush) back and forth in a small area of the lovely pink Sweet Acting PP to get a decent coat on one side ONLY of the brush. Then i carefully patted the pigment onto my eyelids, patting it up just a teeny bit past my crease. Then i patted a second coat on the half of the eyelid closer to the nose. Oooo, shiny! The only fall-out i had was when a little fell off the brush before i got it on my first eyelid. I had no trouble with the second eye.

-- Using a "pencil" brush, I put a light coat of UD Omen eye shadow (metallic blue-purple with turquoise shift) in a narrow line in my outer crease, winging it up a little bit.
-- Again using a "pencil" brush, i put a very small amount of a very smooth, somewhat metallic-finish Inglot periwinkle (sorry, forgot the #) on a tiny bit of my eyelid next to my nose.
-- I lined my waterline with NARS Larger Than Life Eyeliner in Abbey Road (metallic teal).
-- I lined my eyes with MAC Pearlglide in Industrial (sort of periwinkle grey).
-- I finished by curling my eyelashes and applying two coats of Le 2 de Guerlain mascara in Blu 2 Pucci, a lovely violet - it's expensive but i got in a 20% off sale at sephora a couple months ago and hadn't tried it yet. It was still pricy, but at least i can tell myself i didn't pay full price.
angelic.gif

I finished with MAC Nocturnal Instinct mattene on my lips, and a little bit of MAC Blonde degradé on my cheeks.

I've been wearing the PP for over 3 hours now with NO fall out, and the glitter so far is not travelling into my sensitive eyes - 5 hours from now my experience may change, but so far, so good. There may be other products that work to hold onto that glitter, but i can personally vouch for Too Faced Glitter Glue.

Christine of Temptalia said Sweet Acting was one of the chunkiest of the PPs, and i agree, i can see the "chunks" in the pan and on the brush, but i am having no negative issues with it.

I value Christine's reviews - she is very articulate about how she feels, very specific about her likes and dislikes and WHY she reaches her opinion. Her swatches are especially good - although i always bear in mind i am a great deal lighter than she is and often colors that don't show up on her work fine on me and colors that look great on her will look silly on me. Thus i can often tell that i will have a different opinion, but that doesn't negate the value of hers.

I value any critic - movies, music, art, books, makeup, perfume, etc. - who is clear and articulate about the reasons they like or dislike something. As i become familiar with their writing, i can get a better idea of where we agree and differ. I often read critics with whom i tend to disagree because they write so clearly, and i can gauge how i will respond. Christine may rate a cosmetic item poorly, but i wouldn't rag on her just because we disagree. I just means i use my own judgment.

Having tested the PPs, i can say i agree with much of her assessment: the color payoff is often sheer; there's a lot of glitter; there's a tendency for massive fallout. Still, for me, with the appropriate tools and an appropriate base, these Pressed Pigments are real beauties -- and putting on that base adds merely a few seconds, so it's not an odious time-sucking chore.

To steal a line from a holiday TV ad here in the US, with my Pressed Pigments, i AM having a Super Sparkly Day!
th_thstars.gif

mousygiggles

Whew! My eyes felt normal when i woke up. So i decided to try out my Pressed Pigments.

Let me note that i always put eye moisturizer and anti-oxidant serum on my eyes after i cleanse my face - otherwise the skin hurts just sitting there. Then i do the skin care on the rest of my face, ending with mineral sunscreen creme, extending it under my brow. I let that sink in as i get out the makeup i want to use. So i definitely need to use an eye primer most of the time.

I patted Too Faced Glitter Glue on my eyelids and up a tad past my crease.

I dabbed a brush similar to the MAC 215 (Sonia Kashuk Bamboo Chic Flat Shader Brush) back and forth in a small area of the lovely pink Sweet Acting PP to get a decent coat on one side ONLY of the brush. Then i carefully patted the pigment onto my eyelids, patting it up just a teeny bit past my crease. Then i patted a second coat on the half of the eyelid closer to the nose. Oooo, shiny! The only fall-out i had was when a little fell off the brush before i got it on my first eyelid. I had no trouble with the second eye.

-- Using a "pencil" brush, I put a light coat of UD Omen eye shadow (metallic blue-purple with turquoise shift) in a narrow line in my outer crease, winging it up a little bit.
-- Again using a "pencil" brush, i put a very small amount of a very smooth, somewhat metallic-finish Inglot periwinkle (sorry, forgot the #) on a tiny bit of my eyelid next to my nose.
-- I lined my waterline with NARS Larger Than Life Eyeliner in Abbey Road (metallic teal).
-- I lined my eyes with MAC Pearlglide in Industrial (sort of periwinkle grey).
-- I finished by curling my eyelashes and applying two coats of Le 2 de Guerlain mascara in Blu 2 Pucci, a lovely violet - it's expensive but i got in a 20% off sale at sephora a couple months ago and hadn't tried it yet. It was still pricy, but at least i can tell myself i didn't pay full price.
angelic.gif

I finished with MAC Nocturnal Instinct mattene on my lips, and a little bit of MAC Blonde degradé on my cheeks.

I've been wearing the PP for over 3 hours now with NO fall out, and the glitter so far is not travelling into my sensitive eyes - 5 hours from now my experience may change, but so far, so good. There may be other products that work to hold onto that glitter, but i can personally vouch for Too Faced Glitter Glue.

Christine of Temptalia said Sweet Acting was one of the chunkiest of the PPs, and i agree, i can see the "chunks" in the pan and on the brush, but i am having no negative issues with it.

I value Christine's reviews - she is very articulate about how she feels, very specific about her likes and dislikes and WHY she reaches her opinion. Her swatches are especially good - although i always bear in mind i am a great deal lighter than she is and often colors that don't show up on her work fine on me and colors that look great on her will look silly on me. Thus i can often tell that i will have a different opinion, but that doesn't negate the value of hers.

I value any critic - movies, music, art, books, makeup, perfume, etc. - who is clear and articulate about the reasons they like or dislike something. As i become familiar with their writing, i can get a better idea of where we agree and differ. I often read critics with whom i tend to disagree because they write so clearly, and i can gauge how i will respond. Christine may rate a cosmetic item poorly, but i wouldn't rag on her just because we disagree. I just means i use my own judgment.

Having tested the PPs, i can say i agree with much of her assessment: the color payoff is often sheer; there's a lot of glitter; there's a tendency for massive fallout. Still, for me, with the appropriate tools and an appropriate base, these Pressed Pigments are real beauties -- and putting on that base adds merely a few seconds, so it's not an odious time-sucking chore.

To steal a line from a holiday TV ad here in the US, with my Pressed Pigments, i AM having a Super Sparkly Day!
th_thstars.gif
Yay!!! I still think there is a huge difference in these and the FB ones. I love, LOVE Amethyst!

liba

Awwwww. we no likey the ninja glitter stars of doom? They have been giving my sensitive eyes fits! that being said, I love Beaming (the warm, flesh tones one) and I got Day Gleam too. Really want the smoky brown & the black with rainbow glitter one also.
I do like the idea of trying the flesh toned PP as a highlighter, anyone give that a try?
I like the glitters! But for something really light and nude color, I like the sparklies of Ice better than Light Touch. I'm crazy about the PPs I own: Deeply Dashing and Warming Heart from the original release, and Jet Couture, Smokey and Amethyst from this one.

I did an eye look with Orpheus kohl and Jet Couture yesterday, with Strong Woman on the lips and Amber Glow on the cheeks and it was great!

Yazmin

Just left my Pro store and my SA had in Jet Couture using Black Line Pearlglide pencil as a base and it was GAW-JUS! I'm kicking myself for not getting a pic. I'm going to try that combination.

erine1881

Finally saw these in person. Light touch was a hideous glitter disaster! Flicker and blonde streak were gorgeous!

lilinah

OK, i've now had Sweet Acting Pressed Pigment with Too Faced Glitter Glue on for close to 10 hours - and still NO fallout. Without Glitter Glue i'm sure it would have been a sparkle disaster, but with an appropriate base these are great.

Now I'm thinking of getting Heart Warming for my cheeks. Maybe if i put it on while my foundation is moist it won't shed as much... maybe... anyone tried to control these other than on their eyelids?

Yazmin

I went back in and swatched Jet Couture over a few different eye pencils and I'm loving the effects! For me, it's definitely backup-worthy.

It was a little challenging to capture these in pics, and I tried slightly different angles, with and without flash:

Swatched over (left to right): Powersurge, Smoothblue, Black Line, Black Swan, Forever Green

Black Line, Black Swan, Forever Green

Powersurge, Smoothblue, Black Line

MACina

GORGEOUS
eyelove.gif

I have to try them over different eye pencils too.

It is unbelievable how many ways you have to work with the PPs and they
do always look beautiful in a different way
love.gif

Maybe Greasepaint Sticks work as a base too???

Thank you so much for all the pics and swatches, Yazmin!

I went back in and swatched Jet Couture over a few different eye pencils and I'm loving the effects! For me, it's definitely backup-worthy.

It was a little challenging to capture these in pics, and I tried slightly different angles, with and without flash:

Swatched over (left to right): Powersurge, Smoothblue, Black Line, Black Swan, Forever Green

Mac-Guy

Awesome. So versatile!

MACina

Yazmin encouraged me to play
smiles.gif

Since I have not yet received the new PPs, I tried 2 of those I do already have over a Greasepaint Stick.
And I really like the result
heart.gif

The sheen is much more pretty IRL.Unfortunatly my cam cannot really catch it
ssad.gif

Edelmc

Liba-you mentioned u use p&p vibrancy on the lid. I had just been using it as an undereye concealer...do you think it's a good base?

erine1881

Liba-you mentioned u use p&p vibrancy on the lid. I had just been using it as an undereye concealer...do you think it's a good base?
It's not meant to be used on the lid at all. Just under the eyes. This is NOT a primer. Just an fyi.

Debbs

Odd, I thought these were perm. Maybe they will restock soon for you? If not, they are still on the US website...
I had picked mine up on launch day. Mac sometimes take a long time to restock perm items, e.g. Natural Radiance Primer sold out shortly after it was launched and most local counters haven't yet restocked

liba

It's not meant to be used on the lid at all. Just under the eyes. This is NOT a primer. Just an fyi.

I use it under the eye and on the lid too because I get a lot of eye puffiness, including the lid. The light reflectivity is nice too. I used to use Fast Response and that I couldn't use on the lids - hated the texture. Vibrancy Eye does what it did but much better texture for me.

I doubt it gives the sort of gripping power that primers do, but it does add an even layer to my lids, which is all I need (I don't have oily lids). If you need a base because you get creasing or you have oily lids or you want something that makes sheer shadows look more opaque, Vibrancy Eye isn't what you are looking for.

liba

Yazmin encouraged me to play
smiles.gif

Since I have not yet received the new PPs, I tried 2 of those I do already have over a Greasepaint Stick.
And I really like the result
heart.gif

The sheen is much more pretty IRL.Unfortunatly my cam cannot really catch it
ssad.gif
I swear…..MAC needs to bring the Greasepaint Sticks back. I thought the black one was going to stay around and gave my BU to my niece. That heavy, smudgy liner look isn't in right now, and dark smokey eyes are not really being pushed hard either, so I'm not totally surprised they haven't been repromoted. Maybe next fall??? It's time MAC, it is time!
girl_devil.gif