MAC - Rodarte Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbyquack

I think the first statement where they were going to donate money and change the names was probably immediate damage control, but after some time to think on it (even just the process to change the product names and put new stickers on everything and getting new promotional materials printed up), I am sure they decided it was just not worth the fuss to release this collection. And it seems like a lot of people were so offended, that only a few of us were still planning to buy anyways. And maybe certain dept stores didn't want to carry it either, but that is just my speculating...But I do agree with Elegant-One, that I am sure MAC never intended to be edgy or offensive- they probably just did not put 1+1 together- silly, since it seems so obvious but most of us didn't notice the connection to Juarez either, until a select few pointed it out. I'm just glad that they are taking responsibility for their mistake, and not passing the buck!

trulynicole

I feel so lied to by the MA's that I spoke to
ssad.gif
But that's not important. I was honestly looking forward to the collection after MAC was going to offer all the proceeds to Juarez. I was going to buy some things to help the cause. This is just plain silly. Nice going MAC. Now what? You're gonna throw the products away?

sss215

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberElizabeth
Maybe I'm not "politically correct" or I'm "insensitive" but I think it is rediculous to scrap the whole thing. I was looking forward to the collection!!! While I understand all the hubbub and controversy and blah blah blah... They changed the names and were going to donate some/all of the proceeds, so I don't know why MAC caved to be all PC and crap like that. They fixed names and all that jazz... So the fact that they STILL ended up deciding to just not do the collection is stupid IMO.

If I worked for MAC and could make that decision, I would have chucked it too. Just a bad move, this collection. I would not want to end the year on that note. Then the Disney line is coming out after that. I am sure MAC wants to insure what good press they will get to try their best not to put any tarnish on that.

crystrill

I would have done what MAC did too. They TRIED to please people and they still complained so they were like forget it then now you get nothing.

Redaddict

I'm clearly in the minority here but I'm glad they've pulled it. The whole thing left a very bad taste in my mouth and I wouldn't have been comfortable buying any of the collection even if it was re-named.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
I can't believe some of the comments on MAC's facebook page about the whole situation.

i read a few but soon stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystrill
I would have done what MAC did too. They TRIED to please people and they still complained so they were like forget it then now you get nothing.

yup. totally agree with this!

kiss

I don't see how MAC cancelling this shows respect or will make the lives of the women any happier/better. I guess MAC cancelled it because people would keep complaining no matter how many different ways they apologized and would push them to donate ALL the profits so they probably realized they would lose more money and decided to call it quits and just donate a portion to charity as planned. I bet MAC will release the same products under yet again new names in some other collection, it would be a waste of money for them to destroy it all.

Larrabee

I wasn't even particularly interested in this collection (and I'm pale, but it just didn't appeal to me), but it's sad that the MAC fans who were looking forward to the products won't be able to buy them now just because of a PC issue. I hope MAC does fit the products into some upcoming collection. I really thought that MAC had done enough with the renaming/donating.
ssad.gif

bellaboomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrabee
I wasn't even particularly interested in this collection (and I'm pale, but it just didn't appeal to me), but it's sad that the MAC fans who were looking forward to the products won't be able to buy them now just because of a PC issue. I hope MAC does fit the products into some upcoming collection. I really thought that MAC had done enough with the renaming/donating.
ssad.gif

Yeah, I thought they offered enough also - it's really a shame. I don't believe it was ever their intent to offend anyone - like they just did not care. Maybe the collection was not thought through so well on their end, but they did do what they could to remedy the situation. What more can be done besides a public apology and a generous donation?? I can't think of anything else they could have done to make it better.

And I was one of the people looking forward to this collection so I really do hope it all shows up somewhere/somehow!

Miss Dynamite

I think most of the people who complained about this collection only did it to try to get attention. There is nothing wrong with the collection. Though I would have passed it anyway because the colors just looked boring to me.

Door

I'm disappointed. I really liked the ethereal and ghostly pale look of this collection. Definately not something that looks great on everyone. Still I can't stop wondering if people would have complained as much as they did, if MAC was to release Parrot, Moth Brown, Stereo Rose, Lightscapade or some other must have products in this colletion.

I hope they'll release this stuff later in other collections.

katred

Specktra Bestie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Door
I'm disappointed. I really liked the ethereal and ghostly pale look of this collection. Definately not something that looks great on everyone. Still I can't stop wondering if people would have complained as much as they did, if MAC was to release Parrot, Moth Brown, Stereo Rose, Lightscapade or some other must have products in this colletion.

I hope they'll release this stuff later in other collections.

You know what's funny? Mothbrown and Lightscapade would have gone really well with these products.

Hypathya

I'm so sad this one it's cancelled!! Nothing in Juarez will change, people will be able to sleep better at night with the cancellation, but life in Juarez won't change. It's sad and a waste.

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
I wonder when/if this stuff will turn up at CCo's or warehouse sales.
sneaky.gif

maybe warehouse sales? or perhaps they have to destroy it all? who knows!
th_dunno.gif

kabuki_KILLER

As much as MAC caters to creativity and artistry, MAC is also a business. I am very disappointed that this collection was pulled, but it makes business sense. An artist wouldn't give a crap if people didn't like his/her work. She'd just tell them they can stick it. In a business sense, if it's met with seemingly hostile response, it may not necessarily be wise to continue.

HOWEVER! It seems those in most vocal opposition to this Rodarte launch have been a group of people that may not encompass all MAC consumers as a whole, so overall, appease some people, piss off others that were looking forward to it. It was a lose-lose situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dynamite
I think most of the people who complained about this collection only did it to try to get attention. There is nothing wrong with the collection. Though I would have passed it anyway because the colors just looked boring to me.

Thanks for having the guts to say that. It seems like any kind of criticism towards people that criticize endlessly on PC antics is met with passionate (and not always logical) backlash. While anyone is entitled to their opinion, tearing each other to shreds over it will only hurt each other and will not help the women of Juarez one bit.

shontay07108

Wow. So, most of the people who complained were only seeking attention? Ok. This collection has been canceled. It's a done deal, so I'll just skip along and not even bother.

s_lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dynamite
I think most of the people who complained about this collection only did it to try to get attention. There is nothing wrong with the collection.

To get attention to Juarez and to the bad taste of names and promos, absolutelly. I don't see anyone making self-promotion.

But never mind, it's a done deal and I would skip anyway.

katred

Specktra Bestie
I talked to one of the MAs yesterday and she said she thought they would release the colours in the future under some different guise. I think they'd have to wait quite a while for people to forget the specifics of the colours and would have to put them in different collections, but we shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.