MAC Tropical Taboo Collection (2013)

Pinkdollface

And the 159 brush?
Rio isn't that dark, but try to look for one with quite a bit of pink if you can. You can always use duo fibre brushes to apply it with a light hand. I would also recommend a duo fibre brush for Simmer, because it's very pigmented, but it's also very beautiful. From the MES I really like Tropica and Bossa Blue (mine has a lot of the blue). It depends on your prior experiences with MES though, because some really love them and some hate them, I'm in the love them camp. What I like to do is use the MES wet on the lid, then a dry layer on top and the same colour dry in the crease. It makes it fade very nicely and even though it's just one colour, it's very multidimensional, because of the finish and the multiple colours in the MES.
I don't have the 159 brush, so I can't comment on it. I prefer Hakuhodo brushes over Mac brushes and try to save money for those.

IHughes

Rio isn't that dark, but try to look for one with quite a bit of pink if you can. You can always use duo fibre brushes to apply it with a light hand. I would also recommend a duo fibre brush for Simmer, because it's very pigmented, but it's also very beautiful. From the MES I really like Tropica and Bossa Blue (mine has a lot of the blue). It depends on your prior experiences with MES though, because some really love them and some hate them, I'm in the love them camp. What I like to do is use the MES wet on the lid, then a dry layer on top and the same colour dry in the crease. It makes it fade very nicely and even though it's just one colour, it's very multidimensional, because of the finish and the multiple colours in the MES. I don't have the 159 brush, so I can't comment on it. I prefer Hakuhodo brushes over Mac brushes and try to save money for those.
Thanks for all the tips! I've never tried a MES so I don't know if I'll love or hate haha! The only duo fiber brush I have is the 187 which I use for my face and body foundation. I will need to use something like that because I'm not much of a blush and bronzer expert yet and I feel I tend to overdo it!!

Pinkdollface

Thanks for all the tips! I've never tried a MES so I don't know if I'll love or hate haha! The only duo fiber brush I have is the 187 which I use for my face and body foundation. I will need to use something like that because I'm not much of a blush and bronzer expert yet and I feel I tend to overdo it!!
You're welcome:) I would suggest to try one MES in that case to see how you like it. I use the 187 with Rio when I use it to bronze. I apply it on my cheeks, but more towards the side of my face instead of the apples and I concentrate the most on the part that's just under the outside corner of my eyes. I also apply a bit around the hairline on the upper part of my forehead and then a tiny bit on my nose and chin. For Simmer it would be easier to have a smaller duo fibre brush if you decide to get it.

IHughes

You're welcome:) I would suggest to try one MES in that case to see how you like it. I use the 187 with Rio when I use it to bronze. I apply it on my cheeks, but more towards the side of my face instead of the apples and I concentrate the most on the part that's just under the outside corner of my eyes. I also apply a bit around the hairline on the upper part of my forehead and then a tiny bit on my nose and chin. For Simmer it would be easier to have a smaller duo fibre brush if you decide to get it.
Thanks!! If they still have the products I'll try a MES (maybe Tropica or Time to Tango as I have green eyes) and I'll try Simmer. I can also have a look at Rio if they have a pinker one. Do you think it's worth getting Rio if I also have Adored? :p

Medgal07

Does anyone have Lady at Play lipstick?
yes.gif
Got it when the MLs first launched & I love it. Did you get it & what do you think of it.

Icecaramellatte

Rio isn't that dark, but try to look for one with quite a bit of pink if you can. You can always use duo fibre brushes to apply it with a light hand. I would also recommend a duo fibre brush for Simmer, because it's very pigmented, but it's also very beautiful. From the MES I really like Tropica and Bossa Blue (mine has a lot of the blue). It depends on your prior experiences with MES though, because some really love them and some hate them, I'm in the love them camp. What I like to do is use the MES wet on the lid, then a dry layer on top and the same colour dry in the crease. It makes it fade very nicely and even though it's just one colour, it's very multidimensional, because of the finish and the multiple colours in the MES.
I don't have the 159 brush, so I can't comment on it. I prefer Hakuhodo brushes over Mac brushes and try to save money for those.
I wonder if Hakuhodo has a version of the 159 brush. Does that company still make Mac brushes?

Pinkdollface

I wonder if Hakuhodo has a version of the 159 brush. Does that company still make Mac brushes?
The Hakuhodo G545 seems to be similar in head size, but the white bristles are a bit longer. I believe they do still make some Mac brushes, but not all and not with the same technique as their own brushes.

IHughes

Well, in back from my trip to the MAC stand! They had run out of Simmer and Midnight Mambo and Heroine Lipliner but they had everything else. The suggested Tropica and Time to Tango for my green eyes and I asked to try Rio as you guys suggested. The girl showed me how to best apply it and agreed that it was a nice shade to mimic a bit of a toasty burn, better for coral and orangey lipsticks than my only other blush which is bright pink. Needless to say I bought it, and she was nice enough to choose the pinkest one! I loved both Time to Tango and Tropica but I thought I'd compromise and get just one so I got Tropica. She did my makeup and tried all the products on explaining how to use them and create the look. I'm really lucky because the MAC girls here are lovely and helpful and always do your makeup and show you how to! I also bought Dreaminess Mineralize Lipstick because I didn't have a pink-lavender lipstick similar to this one and I like the formula. I told her my problem with lipsticks creating a line on my lips and she told me it happens to her too with Creemsheens, Amplified and Satin. It doesn't seem to happen with lustres or Mineralized or Mattes so I thought it was worth buying this one! I'll show pics as soon as I can! :)

IHughes

Thank you all for your help choosing! I wouldnt have tried Rio otherwise! The girls at the MAC stand are the best!! My mum was converted to MAC just because of this. They're really nice, super helpful, they always compliment my makeup and choose the product that look the best! Here are some pics I took as soon as I left the store!
32b5f0b6_image.jpeg
5bb24496_image.jpeg
6efb10be_image.jpeg
239cdf5e_image.jpeg

MACkilledme

Even though Sweet Samba and Simmer didn't look well as a blush on me I keep debating whether to get them still while I can and use them as a eyeshadow.
I think you should :) I often use my heavenly creatures blushes a eyeshadows they look great and not "common" I plan on getting simmer and doing the same as soon as payday arrives lol

IHughes

Thanks!! The photo angle is a bit strange but I was trying to show Rio, lol! And thanks again for the suggestions!! The collection is lovely and I could've bought more eyeshadows and some blushes but one must try to control oneself