MAC x Rihanna Collection Discussion (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctoberViolet

iagree.gif

I like the rose gold but the writing just kills it for me :(

champagneshadow

I like the rose gold but the writing just kills it for me :(
Yup. Too bad because I do love rose gold. Unless a product really catches my eye this will be a skip. I'm so bummed that this is going to be so much Rihanna this year. Oh well, my wallet is happy.

Prettypackages

I wouldn't say I'm a Rihanna fan, I do like some of her music, not all though. I don't judge her for her personal decisions, they don't affect me, and judging by her music I don't think she targets a younger audience so I wouldn't consider her a role model for young girls. That being said, I am really excited for these collections. After reading the article it sounds like Rihanna has been a MAC fan for years and covets LE items like everyone on here. She seems like she was very involved in making her products and with her love of makeup she knows what makes products great. I think we can expect top quality from this collection, as well as some edgy shades.
Yeah, what you said. I don't really know anything about her outside of the Chris Brown thing. I wish she hadn't gotten back with him. But I've made questionable love decisions too. I know her music isn't for me. That's all I know. But I will check out how she does her makeup and the different hairstyles she has. That's about it for me with most of htese celebs.

Fiberluver

I'm curious: Why do pop stars, actors, actresses, sports figures and those in the spot light have to be role models?

Isn't that where your parents, friends, associates, teachers etc. should come in?

Just asking!

champagneshadow

I'm curious: Why do pop stars, actors, actresses, sports figures and those in the spot light have to be role models?

Isn't that where your parents, friends, associates, teachers etc. should come in?

Just asking!
Theoretically, yes, young girls should look to parents, teachers, etc as role models...

But unfortunately unless you live in a cave your kids are going to look to celebrities as well.

I myself would feel I failed as a parent if my daughter made the life choices Rihanna does.

MaitaiFluff

Theoretically, yes, young girls should look to parents, teachers, etc as role models... But unfortunately unless you live in a cave your kids are going to look to celebrities as well.  I myself would feel I failed as a parent if my daughter made the life choices Rihanna does.  
I'm not a parent so I'd take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I feel that celebrity drama has been around since the dawn of time and we've been able to maintain a society of mostly normal respectful people. Kids might admire these celebrities has kids have done in the past, but as long as parents are there to explain that the real world doesn't live by the same standards as Hollywood then kids can admire some of a celebrities positive attributes or talent.

martiangurll

Wow, there has been a lot of controversy about RiRi as choice of role model for this collection, but as Joan Rivers says, at least we are talking about her. Any press is good press as they say. She as a public figure was thrust into the role of role model, I don't think she chose that, but her personal choices are her own and really are her business, although the tabloids love to write about celebrities. I try not to judge because I am not in her shoes. Maybe my choices would be different, but she is allowed to make her own mistakes and learn from them. Unfortunately in the public eye her choices are judged by others and her mistakes are going to be scrutinized. She is very young and all of us make bad choices and mistakes. You know, most of my good judgment comes from experience, and most of those experiences came from bad judgment. Also, I don't think smoking dope should be criminalized, I live in Colorado where they legalized it, sort of. Maybe all the Rocky Mountain "air" is affecting my judgement on that. I don't think its a good idea for kids to smoke pot, but they shouldn't drink or have unprotected sex either, and the I don't hear as much criticism of celebrities for promoting that either. Back to the collection, I do enjoy her style and her fashion choices, so this should be a slam dunk for me. I hope there is a range of products and I would expect more choices for ladies of all skin tones, which are sometimes lacking in these collections IMHO.

champagneshadow

Wow, there has been a lot of controversy about RiRi as choice of role model for this collection, but as Joan Rivers says, at least we are talking about her. Any press is good press as they say. She as a public figure was thrust into the role of role model, I don't think she chose that, but her personal choices are her own and really are her business, although the tabloids love to write about celebrities. I try not to judge because I am not in her shoes. Maybe my choices would be different, but she is allowed to make her own mistakes and learn from them. Unfortunately in the public eye her choices are judged by others and her mistakes are going to be scrutinized. She is very young and all of us make bad choices and mistakes. You know, most of my good judgment comes from experience, and most of those experiences came from bad judgment. Also, I don't think smoking dope should be criminalized, I live in Colorado where they legalized it, sort of. Maybe all the Rocky Mountain "air" is affecting my judgement on that. I don't think its a good idea for kids to smoke pot, but they shouldn't drink or have unprotected sex either, and the I don't hear as much criticism of celebrities for promoting that either. Back to the collection, I do enjoy her style and her fashion choices, so this should be a slam dunk for me. I hope there is a range of products and I would expect more choices for ladies of all skin tones, which are sometimes lacking in these collections IMHO.
She chose to be a public figure. She gets lots of money, millions of fans, and to have a career that at the end of the day im sure she loves. With anything you take the good with the bad, and unfortunately in today's celebrity culture part of the bad is being constantly followed by paparazzi and having people critisize you, whether it be for what you wear or how you act. To me its unfortunate that many celebrities that would be more positive role models to our children tend to keep their private lives and positive accomplishments out of the public eye.

sagehen

That quad already is awesome as i am peeking through and looking at the colors...i pray that is not showstopper though lol
That's funny, 'cause I kinda hope it is. I never bought it as a single but it is worn out of all of the palettes I purchased it in. I loved that shade to death.

I do hope that the quality of the quads is up to par with the collection. I have been disappointed in the past year or two. I am encouraged by the positive feedback I read about the Archie's quads though, and I wanted the Caramel Sundae Quad just because it had showstopper, but in reality I would only have worn that color and Caramel Sundae. I have stopped buying quads because most of the time I do not use all the colors. This would have been one of those times. I had no interest in the other colors.

RaizinnthaSun

I'm so glad to see people's opinions where they touch on her personal decisions....because there have been others that MAC have promoted and collaborated with and they were not picture perfect. None of us are perfect for that matter, so how would you feel if you were moving forward and big in your career and people was still stuck on the past and discouraged you? just makes me sad to hear. But heyyyyy more lipstick and brushes and stuff for the rest of us.

I'm just super excited to see that Rihanna actually worked along with them and tested this stuff on all types of people as well to know that it would work for all, it's evident that does not work that way with other LE things (coughcoughPinkFridaycoughcough) lol
Lil Kim (drugs, alcohol, abortions, way oversexualized image for back then), Mary J. Blige (drugs, alcohol, committed domestic violence against men), Diana Ross (getting pregnant by your manager and then marrying someone else and not telling your daughter who her father was for a really long time, arrested for weed possession in the airport), Cyndi Lauper (doing drugs and writing songs about drugs), Lady Gaga (cocaine use and smoked weed on stage), Marilyn Monroe (a doozy- drugs, unprofessional, adulterer, mental issues). Those are the ones who readily came to mind. But you know what, I bought and enjoyed all of the products that they promoted.

Now, on to Rihanna. She smokes a lot of weed and got beat up by her boyfriend. I could care less about the weed smoking, but the getting beat up by her boyfriend AND getting back together with him part bothers me. It bothers me because thousands of women do it every day, but Rihanna has the means to get the psychological help to overcome the mental issues that make her want to go back to an abuser. But, she doesn't and I think that's sad. Still, I don't think she should be punished for being a domestic violence victim. And, all I KNOW is, is that I can't wait to see this collection. That bluer Ruby Woo is mine!

Off Topic- I'd really like to see a Naomi Campbell "collection." Either from MAC or NARS. I hope that's in the works.

kimbunney

I think entertainers can be role models its just some that gives a bad name for others. Beyonce for example excluding her music she just seems to be a really nice person in general, she's humble, she's a hard worker and she doesn't take life for granted. She doesn't live her personal life on display and as far as morals she went about things the right way dating, getting married and then having the kid. So some can be good I think it just depends on the person.

Just asking!

OctoberViolet

I would definitely be on board with Naomi Campbell. She is gorgeous! And fierce! I wouldn't mind a super models collection with MAC or another brand. Have a few of the old (er) models from the 80's & 90's. Naomi, Cindy Crawford, etc. I'd be down with that.
Lil Kim (drugs, alcohol, abortions, way oversexualized image for back then), Mary J. Blige (drugs, alcohol, committed domestic violence against men), Diana Ross (getting pregnant by your manager and then marrying someone else and not telling your daughter who her father was for a really long time, arrested for weed possession in the airport), Cyndi Lauper (doing drugs and writing songs about drugs), Lady Gaga (cocaine use and smoked weed on stage). Those are the ones who readily came to mind.But you know what, I bought and enjoyed all of the products that they promoted.

Now, on to Rihanna. She smokes a lot of weed and got beat up by her boyfriend. I could care less about the weed smoking, but the getting beat up by her boyfriend AND getting back together with him part bothers me. It bothers me because thousands of women do it every day, but Rihanna has the means to get the psychological help to overcome the mental issues that make her want to go back to an abuser. But, she doesn't and I think that's sad. Still, I don't think she should be punished for being a domestic violence victim. And, all I KNOW is, is that I can't wait to see this collection. That bluer Ruby Woo is mine!

Off Topic- I'd really like to see a Naomi Campbell "collection." Either from MAC or NARS. I hope that's in the works.

RaizinnthaSun

I think entertainers can be role models its just some that gives a bad name for others. Beyonce for example excluding her music she just seems to be a really nice person in general, she's humble, she's a hard worker and she doesn't take life for granted. She doesn't live her personal life on display and as far as morals she went about things the right way dating, getting married and then having the kid. So some can be good I think it just depends on the person.
Hmm...ok. Beyonce married a man who has been accused of domestic violence toward women and stabbing a man. That's what we know. Yet, she's very smart about not putting her life on display, so there's a lot we don't know. Unfortunately for Rihanna, she got beaten by a man and the world found out about it. Now, instead of just being a victim, she can be also be villainized along with Chris Brown because she got back together with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.