make up schools

lucylu

Hello!

i am really interested into becoming a make up artist and have been looking into various training schools. i just wanted to know what if you guys have any reccomendations!

i was looking at 3arts but got a little scared when i read that you have to do an application on someone to get in.

thanks for any suggestions you might have!

smiles.gif

lara

3Arts is very special-effects orientated. If you were interested in prothetics and the hands-on side of make-up, then definately check them out.

Most schools will require an interview and a application test. You don't need to be a wizard with product, just show that you have energy and enthusiasm and at least know which end of a lipliner is which.

What are you looking to do? Certificate III, IV, make-up retail cert or full diploma? Make sure the school you look at is accredited with VETAB; it makes things easier re: Centrelink and transfering your diploma from one country to another.

PM if you want more dish on schools in Sydney.
smiles.gif

Bec688

I did my make up course through TAFE whilst doing my CERT. IV in Beauty Therapy. TAFE also has courses strictly just for make up, don't overlook it while researching schools/colleges, a lot of people tend to do this, not realising that TAFE does hold the same standards as other beauty colleges.
Basically do your research, check out numerous colleges and courses, there's plenty out there, and just because one happens to be more expensive than others doesn't mean that that is the best one out there. You learn the basics in your course, but you learn so so so much more out in the industry once you start working.

trucco.diva

Go Napoleon! 87% o make-up artist in aussie are trained at napoleon and they have a great international reputation. They are quite fashion based, but you'll cover all the decades and special effects and pretty much everything including body painting,

So check out napoleon!

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucco.diva
Go Napoleon! 87% o make-up artist in aussie are trained at napoleon and they have a great international reputation.

LOL.

87%? No way. 20% at the very most, and they're an industry joke.

Bec688

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
LOL.

87%? No way. 20% at the very most, and they're an industry joke.

Agreed
smiles.gif

Arella

On this subject, I've been wanting to do a makeup course in theatre and maybe fashion as well (mostly theatre because I've been involved in that in various ways for years), but I can't do full time because I'm still at uni. Does anyone know of any decent short courses in Melbourne?

(If all else fails, I'll go and see if anyone at Backstage has any recommendations, but I figured I'd ask since the topic was open.)

Ella_

I thought I would bump this thread as Im also looking for courses in QLD.
Ive done some searching and havent found anything really. I want to do a diploma.

Apparently the Academy of Makeup is opening a campus in Brisbane next year. Has anyone heard anything about this place? They use gorgeous cosmetics, which Ive never heard of before, as well as Ben Nye.

Or there is Napoleon, but apparently theyre rubbish?

Arella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lior
Apparently the Academy of Makeup is opening a campus in Brisbane next year. Has anyone heard anything about this place? They use gorgeous cosmetics, which Ive never heard of before, as well as Ben Nye.

I'm looking at their Melbourne school. Gorgeous are pretty decent in terms of quality, as far as I know, and they have a huge range as well as giving a decent discount to students.

Ella_

Hmm well I emailed them and have asked them to mail me some information. Im in the UK right now, so hopefully the info will be waiting for me when I get back.

Bec688

Quote:
I thought I would bump this thread as Im also looking for courses in QLD.
Ive done some searching and havent found anything really. I want to do a diploma.

Or there is Napoleon, but apparently theyre rubbish?

Gorgeous cosmetics are pretty good quality stuff, they have a really great colour range and they apply nicely as well. My friend has her whole kit from gorgeous cosmetics, she even goes as far as saying she thinks in comparison to MAC it's right up there.

Ella_

Hmm well sounds like Gorgeous cosmetics are pretty good. I'll have to track some down and have a try at it.

I like that they use Ben Nye as well.

Im calling the academy on the 5th, so I will report back any good news.

Bec688

Quote:
Hmm well sounds like Gorgeous cosmetics are pretty good. I'll have to track some down and have a try at it.

I like that they use Ben Nye as well.

Im calling the academy on the 5th, so I will report back any good news.

go to the gorgeous website they have all their prices and stockist information there. Also I was looking at the academy's webiste and they have discounts on the products if you're a student, those discount prices are listed on the academy site.

After people were talking about this academy I had a look and I'm interested in maybe going there myself, I only learnt the basics of day and evening make up at tafe in my beauty therapy course, the academy looks like a great place where i could learn a whole lot more and definatey refine my skills.

lara

To work on a MAC counter in Australia you need at least a certficate of cosmetic retail.

MAC counters are a mixture of certificate III/diploma of make-up art and certificate of cosmetic retail (can disinfect items, can suggest colours and hand items to customers, but cannot apply make-up to a customer). The busier the store, the more cosmetic retail people they'll employ.
MAC stores are all cert III/diploma of make-up art only.

Latest posts