make up schools

Bec688

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
To work on a MAC counter in Australia you need at least a certficate of cosmetic retail.

MAC counters are a mixture of certificate III/diploma of make-up art and certificate of cosmetic retail (can disinfect items, can suggest colours and hand items to customers, but cannot apply make-up to a customer). The busier the store, the more cosmetic retail people they'll employ.
MAC stores are all cert III/diploma of make-up art only.

Hey Lara,

have you ever worked for MAC?

lara

Nope.
smiles.gif
I had a chit-chat with one the manager of the Melbourne pro store about hiring requirements a while back, though. I don't think any of the hiring requirements have changed since then, but you never know.
smiles.gif

Ella_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ln_marie_d
lior, where in QLD are you going to be studying? I just enrolled with Queensland Regional Studies.

I'll be studying in Brisbane.
Im in the UK now, and I get back home this Thursday! Im so excited.
smiles.gif

What MAC collections are out at the moment? And coming up this month? My birthdays the 5th and I plan on getting myself a present or two
smiles.gif

And I know this is the wrong spot for it, but how much is a fluidline at home? I cant remember.
lol.gif

Could anyone tell me what it takes to become a makeup artist with a regular decent job and to learn everything about applying makeup? I went three years in the USA getting my bachelors of music in vocal peformance but didn't finish - now am thinking about becoming a makeup artist - how do you do that? How much does it cost? Is it possible to do without having a car? I moved here to Sydney in march - I live in waitara (by hornsby in the upper north shore area), I might like to work at MAC, not sure what jobs are available for makeup artists, how long you have to go to school, where you go to school - any good schools in Sydney? I would have to pay something extra since I'm not Australian I'm told to go to any schools here. Any links? Can anyone clue me in?? Thanks sooo much.

Bec688

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieAnne1983
Could anyone tell me what it takes to become a makeup artist with a regular decent job and to learn everything about applying makeup? I went three years in the USA getting my bachelors of music in vocal peformance but didn't finish - now am thinking about becoming a makeup artist - how do you do that? How much does it cost? Is it possible to do without having a car? I moved here to Sydney in march - I live in waitara (by hornsby in the upper north shore area), I might like to work at MAC, not sure what jobs are available for makeup artists, how long you have to go to school, where you go to school - any good schools in Sydney? I would have to pay something extra since I'm not Australian I'm told to go to any schools here. Any links? Can anyone clue me in?? Thanks sooo much.

Have you become a permanent resident here? Or are you only here for a short amount of time? Usually if you are just over here to study, you will be classed as in international student and therefore you would have to pay more. But if you have decided to reside here, you would pay what anyone else that lives here would have to.
As far as schools go, it all depends on what type of make up artist you want to be and what type of work you are after. You said you want to work at MAC, here's the info on what's required, Lara posted this a little furthur up in the thread, but here it is again;

''To work on a MAC counter in Australia you need at least a certficate of cosmetic retail.

MAC counters are a mixture of certificate III/diploma of make-up art and certificate of cosmetic retail (can disinfect items, can suggest colours and hand items to customers, but cannot apply make-up to a customer). The busier the store, the more cosmetic retail people they'll employ.
MAC stores are all cert III/diploma of make-up art only. ''

Generally most schools can be accessed by some form of public transport, inquire about this when researching schools.

Depending on what course you choose in regards to make up, whether it be Cert III, or Diploma, courses usually go between 6-12 months, some even go for 18 months.

Schools, there's plenty around, make sure it's an accredited one. The Makeup Academy are a pretty decent school, 3ARTS and Media Make up Academy & Agency, I have heard really good things about. Tafe also does Make up courses, it all depends on what type of make up artistry you want to persue. There's plenty of us on here, ask some of the others girls what schools they have been to, and get feedback from them as well.

Hey there, thanks! Well, I'm just here on a tourist visa for 6 months, but I plan on getting married to an Australian (why I moved here) in the next few months and going through the immigration process. Anyone else know any good schools in Sydney? Thanks so much
oh.gif
)

Another quick question - I am in Sydney now, but plan on going back to the US to live within a year. Does anyone know what MAC and other major MU stores/ counters require in the US vs Sydney? Is there an internationally accepted thing? Do I strictly just need some certificate in makeup or do I need something to do with business/retail? Is there a breakdown of the different degrees or certificates or whatever they are somewhere and whats better than what and what each takes and so forth? I wouldn't want to go to school here and then not be able to work in the US or vice versa, I am really unsure about where I will be working or where to go to school. Should I wait til I'm back in the US to go to school? Also - I'd love something that gave me whatever I need to work on skin and be a makeup artist all at one time, so I could work wherever I could find a job. Not interested at alll in learning about hair or nails. I'd like to be able to do facials, etc, sell skin care products, apply makeup, and sell makeup. All the websites I've found only have makeup on them, not skin too, and say certificate II of beauty therapy or makeup or a diploma in either of those, anyone know what the difference is? I dont see that certificate III thing ya'll talked about mentioned on any of the websites I see. And it costs 10,000 dollars to go, gee, I can't afford to go. X( Thanks for the help!

ballerino

Im so sorry to revive this thread, lol but i desperately am trying to find a short course on the Gold Coast to do some weddings etc till i can do my Cert next year, does anyone know of any? Im having the hardest time getting any answers RE courses!!!!!
ssad.gif
ssad.gif
i just want to do the right one.....

Ella_

I just spoke to the people at the Academy of Makeup again so I thought I would bump this.

Their campus in Brisbane opens officailly in January next year, and Im thinking of doing a Cert II in makeup services which I beleive is the retail makeup cert?

Im mostly doing the course for myself, If I enjoy it and do well then I will drop back my uni work load - I study via correspondence - and do the diploma in sem 2 next year. I also thought it may help me get a foot in at a cosmetics counter somewhere... so...

Oh and they are meant to be having an open day later this year.
smiles.gif

lara

I'm currently studying for the papers needed to teach cert of cosmetic retail, cert II of make-up services, cert IV of make-up services and extension to Dip. of make-up artistry.
smiles.gif

Cert II MUS is very retail orientated, it's more or less cert of cosmetic retail + three very short units of beauty, bridal and glamour. If you have any appropriate business-related RPL, be sure to mention it to the course organiser and see if you can test out of any business units.

Bec688

I went to the open day at the Sydney academy and the lady there semmed pretty lenient when it came to RPLing, there were a lot of girls there that were enrolling that had similar modules in previous courses that she said would be allowed to be RPLed. So take Lara's advice and definately ask
smiles.gif

Lara, what make up college are you attending?

lara

Some things to think about when choosing a school in Australia:

Some things to think about when choosing a school in Australia:

Go to wherever you feel comfortable, as long as:
- they supply quality products (ideally not from a single product line),
- have capable teachers that you can see yourself working with and going to them with questions,
- have good facilities (light and airy, with array-lit mirrors and plenty of bench space, chairs that can be raised and lowered, with sinks ideally in the classroom, toilet facilities and OH&S regulations clearly displayed on the wall),
- you feel like you're going to get the best education that you can get. Do your research, talk to former students and see if the school has had any complaints or investigations lodged against them.
- ensure that they have current VETAB accreditation and are teaching current courses (Cert II Makeup Services, Cert II Cosmetic Retail, Cert IV Makeup Services or Diploma of Makeup Artisty) and the teacher/s have a Diploma of Business and can show you their Workplace Training credentials. Some schools are still teaching cert III courses - avoid these at all costs. It has been deleted from the national curriculum and will be worth nothing.

Ella_

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_nat_88
Anyone go to the new Brisbane academy of makeup? Their next open day is sat 16 june. To rsvp call angela 1300554517

Im enrolled to start their Cert 2 course on June 25th.

Bec688

Angela is fabulous. She is SO friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed the info day I went to at the Sydney Academy.

Ella, when you're a little into the course, give us an update
smiles.gif

Ella_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec688
Angela is fabulous. She is SO friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed the info day I went to at the Sydney Academy.

Ella, when you're a little into the course, give us an update
smiles.gif

Will do
smiles.gif

Bec688

Ella, a little off topic. Are you going to purchase one of their make up kits or brushes? If you have, what are they like?

Latest posts