make up schools

summeri

I have almost completed the cert II at the academy in sydney!! its alot of fun and the gorgeous cosmetics range is really nice, you'll learn alot

Ella_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec688
Ella, a little off topic. Are you going to purchase one of their make up kits or brushes? If you have, what are they like?

I will be getting their brushes in about a week, a late birthday gift from my mum
smiles.gif
As soon as I get them I will report back
smiles.gif

I havent got a makeup kit yet as we dont need them for the cert 2, everything is supplied in class, we just supply our on disposables etc. However I will be getting one of the kits if I like their products, otherwise I'll probaby use products by MUFE, NARS some MAC etc...

girloflowers

ooh i might be going to the sydney academy! tel me more >.<

and wow im glad for that link to the napoleon thread! i can't belive i was considering paying nearly 10 thou to go there! thankyou so, so so much! I don't want to go through all that and be considered a joke!, i can't thank you enough!

_ohmygosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynae002
Aspiring artist, what are the different certificates out there? What do they mean?

It really depends on what academies/colleges/TAFE's they are.. but in the brochure of the place I am going to, they have these types of certificates available, Please note that some institutions call their certificate title a bit differently than others,:

- Cert II , Make up services: basically, it gives you the professional skills to work in retail, selling cosmetics i.e at a cosmetics counter in a department store, chemist etc. Also it gives you the skill to be qualified as a MUA of weddings.

- Cert III : is usually for being qualified to do make up for live productions, theatre and events, i.e fashion shoots, fashion parades, musicals, modelling portfolios.

- Cert IV: is usually for qualifications for doing make up on set of television productions - including news reporters, commercials, tv shows, as well as music clips and films.

- Diploma of Make up : Is suitable for people who want to work as a film and television make up artist/technician, it also gives you the skill to be able to become a supervisor in this industry.

-The Advance Diploma is basically all of the above plus the skills required for managing, co-ordinating and supervise catwalks, theatres, editorial photography, productions, films, events, etc etc.

Sorry about the ridiculous lack of grammar, I am so tired from work but happy to help!.

ssad.gif

lara

Always check with VETAB and never take the school at face value as quite a few of those certificates being offered are no longer accredited.

There are also some deeply shady schools that use VETAB teaching materials but the schools are completely unregistered with any education registrars and your pieces of paper will be worth squat.

Can anyone reccomend a make up course in melbourne? What level of make-up education would best help you get a job at a mac counter?

Paramnesia

I'm also looking to study in melbourne. I've been looking around and I'm thinking either the academy of make up or take a tafe course in geelong (so I can be closer to home)

I'm not sure whether to go for Diploma of make-up or Cert II , Make up services. At the moment its all pretty overwhelming.

I'm currently studying Biological Science at uni and thinking of deferring for a year. I don't want to give up on my degree, I just want to do something I'm passionate about. I feel so bored with uni and constricted. I'm constantly thinking about make up and its the only thing I'm truly passionate about.

At the same time, I've only gotten into make in the past year and feel people will judge me.

In the end my dream would be to work for MAC. Mean while I'd love to do Bridal MU and Special occasions MU. MA's at MAC are always surprised at my knowledge of MAC products, I guess I have specktra to thank for that lol.

Just check out the tafe website (vic) to find places that have course.
TAFE Courses Directory

Vesu

Quote:
MAC stores are all cert III/diploma of make-up art only.

I don't mean to throw a spanner in the works here but that's not necessarily the case. In Brisbane alone I know of five staff currently working for MAC and one ex member who is now a senior makeup artist with another branch of the parent company and none of them have the above qualifications.

Quite frankly, a Diploma is way overqualified for a counter job to start with as is a Cert III (which does exist - it's in Live Production, Theatre and Events). Granted, people do get Cert II in Makeup Services but, again, while highly desireable, it's not compulsory.

Make-up Artist

The most unfortunate thing to happen to the Make-up Industry is accreditation!! When I studied Make-up & SFX the schools were not accredited, so the schools had to actually perform well to keep students. Now if you have the money to get the accreditation you can get it. I have tried to hire many students from a few of the schools in Sydney, and after 6 monthsof there course, they still couldn't apply blush! I have had to train the ones that now work for me from scratch. Apart from working behind a cosmetic counter (which you should not be studying 1 yr to sell cosmetics), nobody in the actual industry cares what the certificate is called, only where you studied and your portfolio and CV matter. Yet potential students still see the certificate as what will get them a job. I have been working for 18 years now and I have never shown or discusssed what my qualifications are for any job. My portfolio and CV is all they have ever wanted.

If you want to work as a Make-up Artist I would consider obtaining your Certificate in Hairdressing first as you will need it if you want to pursue a career in Film or TV.

I have given up wasting my time trying to get qualified students from schools and will now offer Masterclasses in both Hair & Make-up and will recruit from those students, as I will know that they can actually do the job.

My advice to anyone wanting to study, have a look at photos of current and past students work, find out about the teacher's experience, and don't believe the hype. Work hard and have a Portfolio!!!

Good Luck!!!

dothewave.gif

misspresh

Can anyone suggest a makeup course in Melbourne for me? I don't want to actually BE a makeup artist, but I wanted to do a course, say one or two nights a week, to teach me how to apply it all properly.. and so I can do my friends' makeup etc. I looked at the Swinburne short course and the Cert II at Academy of Makeup, but I'm really unsure. The cert II one seems more for someone wanting a job at a counter.. can anyone suggest something?
smiles.gif

Vesu

I would have to disagree with you there, MakeupArtist. Accreditation forced a lot of dodgy schools out of business when it was introduced at a time the industry was definitely in the doldrums but also, unfortunately, it also forced a lot of schools to drop the pre-enrolment requirements due to VETAB requirements and this has allowed any Tom, Dick and Sally to join in.

In addition, there is a public misconception that to be a makeup artist all one has to do is sell cosmetics at some overrated cosmetics house counter and this is supported by various media. In the midst of this there are schools out there who are actively advocating against this trend and, as a result, are producing world standard practitioners who can walk their talk. Accreditation also comes in handy when applying for pro status as well as applying for jobs overseas where the visa requirement stipulates a qualification. In addition, employers do ask for quals to ensure that the portfolio you produce is actually yours. Many people do present work that isn't theirs. Folly, I know, but it happens.

In this day and age, it's not enough to be self taught. Not if you want a portfolio that competes with the rest of them on an even keel. Training hones the skill that would otherwise taken an age to attain on one's own and while it's terribly exciting to announce that an artist is self taught, the reality is much more mundane.

Like anything in life, you'll always get your dodgy school or your dodgy tradesman or your dodgy meal...whatever. The responsibility for discerning what is worth it and what isn't lies with us. There are good schools out there and they charge well under $10K. It's up to us to find them and if we are to compete successfully in today's industry, find them we must.

I <3 MakeUp

just bumping this thread as i'm going to be doing the Cert IV at Academy of Makeup in Sydney.

I might buy their brushes, but I've worked out through web searching that their makeup belt it really the Japonesque one, and I can get it for half the price online. The airbrush is overpriced, but they are the only distributor in Australia for that brand... I can't seem to find anywhere reputable online to get it from.

miss_bailey

I<3Makeup: When does the Certificate IV start and what are the hours like?
Im interested in doing the course but im sort of shopping around for a course that fits me best.

bel1172

hello to all, there are Mac makeup artists that are not qualified and working for MAC currently, this includes managers that I know. To work for MAC you must have retail experience, look like a MAC artist and be able to do a makeup.
In the begining they were very picky however now times have changed.

fashioniztah_07

Just bumping this thread.

Has anyone done the Advanced Make up Artist course in TAFE? Im interested in doing the course.

blueshadow

hi guys!
this is my first post. YAY!
anyway, just thought i'd add my bit.
I've been researching makeup courses for about a year now, in sydney and in Melb. I cant afford to do a diploma and a makeup artist i met one time told me not to bother, you learn way more on the job than at school.
So i've come accross this one in melb i like the look of, its at Headmasters Academy, run through Elite Makeup. They seem to use mostly Mac. Its gonna cost about 4000 to do a course called makeup for photography, bridal and runway. The best thing is, is that it also includes hair styling and some theory work like planning for a shoot and understanding camera angles.
Anyway, if anyone knows anything about this school or thinks theres a better one out there. PLEASE let me know, as i would hate to waste money on something like this.

Latest posts