make up schools

blueshadow

on makeup courses in Australia. theres so many out there at the moment, so if anyones had any experiences with any it'd be great to hear!

rockin26

I'm starting my course at the Academy of Makeup in 2 weeks. They have schools in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. Once I get started I'll post how it's going, so friggin excited I can't wait to start!!!!

yahoo.gif

blueshadow

thats great Rockin!
i was looking into the one in melb. What course are you starting? are you getting their brush set?
aarrghh!! i'm so excited for you.. and fairly jealous!

rockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshadow
thats great Rockin!
i was looking into the one in melb. What course are you starting? are you getting their brush set?
aarrghh!! i'm so excited for you.. and fairly jealous!

Thanks! I'm pretty darn tooting excited myself!
th_DANCE.gif

I'm starting with the Cert II and hopefully next year after I've gotten some more experience and built a bit of a business I'll go back and do the Cert IV. The goal is to quit my full time
th_yawn.gif
office job in 2 years and be full time MUA.

Yes I'm going to buy their brush roll and we're told it's mandatory for the course but for $500 I think it's pretty good and I've heard their brushes aren't half bad. I'm also getting one of their make up sets to start me off so I'll let everyone know what they're like. It's their own brand called Gorgeous.

blueshadow

I heard although their brushes are good, you can find better for less. like A'squirrel...?
I want to do the Cert IV but know of a another course which is similar and cheaper, but you dont end up with a qualification.. so still havent made my decision yet.
I dont like the idea of using one whole brand of makeup....
although i have heard awesome things about the academy

rockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshadow
I heard although their brushes are good, you can find better for less. like A'squirrel...?
I want to do the Cert IV but know of a another course which is similar and cheaper, but you dont end up with a qualification.. so still havent made my decision yet.
I dont like the idea of using one whole brand of makeup....
although i have heard awesome things about the academy

I haven't heard of A'squirrel before, where do you get them? All of my brushes at the moment are MAC and the majority of my makeup is MAC so it's going to be good to try something else out. I plan to use MAC as my main brand in my case but will definately use other brands like Inglot, Napoleon and Clinique etc, I think it's important to know what's out there and not be limited to one brand.

When you pick a school I recommend going for one that has a government accredited qualification. They have to be held to a certain standard and must meet certain criteria to get the accreditation where as schools without it can run themselves anyway they like, and don't have to answer to anyone. Not to say non accredited schools aren't good but I used to work for a life coaching school which was accredited, so I got to see how we worked and how the non accredited places worked and there was a pretty big difference.

Keep us posted.....
th_wink3.gif

Paramnesia

I was looking at taking a tafe course, but I was offered a job at Kit cosmetics late last year so I really need to get off my butt and see if the offer is still available. I'd so love to work there.

aussieartist

Hi,
I use Gorgeous Cosmetics in my make up kit and I have found them great.
I use it for bridal & photographic work and have found it as good as alot of more expensive professional brands. It now makes up 1/3 of my makeup kit.
Atelier is another brand I love.

Studying in Melbourne, check out Chisholm, they have a great range of makeup courses and very experienced teachers.

rockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieartist
Hi,
I use Gorgeous Cosmetics in my make up kit and I have found them great.
I use it for bridal & photographic work and have found it as good as alot of more expensive professional brands. It now makes up 1/3 of my makeup kit.
Atelier is another brand I love.

Studying in Melbourne, check out Chisholm, they have a great range of makeup courses and very experienced teachers.

Thanks for the rec! I've got quite a few Gorgeous cosmetics in my kit but I haven't really used them much yet but I've heard all good about them too.

pinkvanilla

Just bumping this up as I'd love some advice please
yes.gif

I am about to finish a uni degree but I really don't want to work in the field. Before I went to uni started a makeup course but never finished as my teacher wasn't very nice and she really put me off becoming a makeup artist as she didn't have nice things to say about my skills.

After looking back over my notes I got from the school and thinking of my passion for makeup, I decided I want to make a career of it. I would like to do a Cert IV.

I've done some Google searches for makeup schools in Brisbane but keep coming up with the same results. I was wondering if anyone knew of the different ones in Brisbane and could make any recs? Also, I was reading in the last posts of the VETAB accreditation. Is there a similar accreditation in Brisbane I should be looking out for? I know of the Academy of Makeup which my friend went to, so at the moment I am leaning towards that one. They also seem to be the only school that offers a Cert IV...?

Sorry for the massively long post
shockt.gif
but any info or advice you could give me would be great!

rockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkvanilla
Just bumping this up as I'd love some advice please
yes.gif

I am about to finish a uni degree but I really don't want to work in the field. Before I went to uni started a makeup course but never finished as my teacher wasn't very nice and she really put me off becoming a makeup artist as she didn't have nice things to say about my skills.

After looking back over my notes I got from the school and thinking of my passion for makeup, I decided I want to make a career of it. I would like to do a Cert IV.

I've done some Google searches for makeup schools in Brisbane but keep coming up with the same results. I was wondering if anyone knew of the different ones in Brisbane and could make any recs? Also, I was reading in the last posts of the VETAB accreditation. Is there a similar accreditation in Brisbane I should be looking out for? I know of the Academy of Makeup which my friend went to, so at the moment I am leaning towards that one. They also seem to be the only school that offers a Cert IV...?

Sorry for the massively long post
shockt.gif
but any info or advice you could give me would be great!

Hey pinkvanilla! First up shame on that teacher for not being more supportive to your learning! Don't let one person stop you from following your passion, they're not worth it.

I'm at AOM in Melb and I can't gush enough about how much I'm enjoying it and how awesome and talented the trainers are, so my rec is with them
thmbup.gif

pinkvanilla

Thanks so much rockin26
th_DANCE.gif

I was going to ask how you were liking it there! And thank you for your supportive words
greengrin.gif

Latest posts