Mixing PIGMENTS to make new colours!!?? Anyone tried?

clamster

Re: ~ Mixing your pigments for a custom shade ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperry
I wish these 2 threads were merged. I’m getting whip-lash going from one to the other when there’s a new post. There are very good pictures and swatches in this thread:
http://specktra.net/f165/mixing-pigm...e-tried-58443/

Sorry! When I was making this thread I searched for mixing pigments and I geuss I didn't find anything or didn't type the right words. I wish these threads were merged. I see similar threads(and experience Deja vu lol) frequently and just wish I could merge the posts lol!

astronaut

Has anyone tried mixing emerald green with a little bit of teal? (Majority is still a green colour) I'm curious to know what would come of that. It looks really pretty in my head lol.

sharkbytes

I figured I'd post a pic so you can see the combo...here's Electric Coral + Melon, along with Coppering:
81yw86r.jpg

sharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeba
i have mixed extremauve, cornflower and naval blue together and was very impressed with the color mixture!

thank youuuu!! I just tried this and it looks so cool!

magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantAffordMAC
I read this thread and began mixing some of my Fyrinnae shadows together (not in a pot, but on my hand). I went crazy over how pretty some of the colors looked. My only problem is that the Fyrinnae shadows are only samples, and I was planning on pressing them. I don't know if I can press most of the shadow and then still leave some to mix. I am lost when it comes to deciding on pressing pigments/leaving them loose/mixing....

th_dunno.gif

As far as I remember the samples are not really huge. It might be very difficult to get a pan filled. If you press, you have to use alcohol. The whole fluffy-ness is gone then, because this is exsactly what is needed: the air has to go off the powder. Such small amounts will fill the pan maybe with 1/10 inch high... I don´t think there will be enough left to make usable amounts. But give it a try ;-)

I habe mixed some Pigments with oxides and micas. I don´t have tried them yet, but they look really, really lovely so far... I have also pressed some pigments in original color only, so don´t wonder ;-)

1. COOL PINK & HELIUM - this is my absolutely favorite blush combo!
2. POLISHED IVORY - there was a bit dirt on my fabric
3. PINK OPAL
4. hmmm, I call it MAGIK PINK ;-) - it´s manganese violet, Fuchsia p/m, Hot Side Pink Mica, Interfine Violet and a hint Pink Vivid p/m
5. hmmm, name? DEEP SEA BLUE??? - mixed Azreal Blue p/m, Blue Storm p/m, Cellini Blue Mica, Plain Mica - and something else - I forgot, sorry
6. COOL MAGIK (because of Magi and my last name, which starts with K) - Cool Pink p/m, Lovely Lily p/m, Interfine Violet Mica and a tiny bit of something else :->...
7. NIGHTSKY MAGIK ;-) - Ultramarine blue, Cellini Blue Mica, Marine Ultra p/m, Ultra Shimmer Mica and Interfine Red
8. COOL PINK
9. MAGIK GOLD - Jardin Aires p/m, Polished Ivory p/m, 24 Karat Gold Mica, Inter Gold Mica and tons of my favorite Mica: Metallic Rustic Gold MIca...

Some mixes also have Magnesium Stearate inside, if there is more Mica than pigment, because they are not pressable...

pics244kh1.jpg

KikiB

You all are turning me into even more of a pigment addict!
angry.gif
I only have four pigments right now, but I definitely have fun mixing them.

Teal+Jardin Aires="Four Leaf Clover"-It looks really pretty mixed, with the flecks of gold, but I would get a brighter green to try it with.

Pink Pearl+Violet=This looked really pretty at first, but Violet overpowers it if you go half/half. It's pretty much a dupe for Stars 'n Rockets. I mixed up a decent amount due to adding a smidge of Jardin Aires and more Pink Pearl but it still looks the same as Stars 'n Rockets, albeit more blueish tones.

Pink Pearl+Jardin Aires="Pinked Gold"-You want to make sure to use more Jardin Aires with this, because the goal is pinked gold, not golden pink. Mixed correctly, it is amazing. Eyeshadow, crease, blush/bronzer, all-over highlighter...I want to buy another jar of each before Heatherette goes away so that I can have some all the time. I almost would add some Vanilla in there so that it can be a bit lighter for when I want it to be lighter.

M.A.C. head.

I've mixed and pressed a few combos and they turned out really nicely!

Vanilla + Old Gold = very pretty high light

Fushia + Pink Opal = mute pink, petal color

kobri

I've only mixed and pressed one combo so far: Rebel Rock Blue and GoldenLemon. Loose is was pretty dark with the rebel rock blue being overpowering, but when I pressed it it turned out much lighter, a lovely soft aqua greeny/blue colour. It's kind of a shimmery carribean sea.

purrtykitty

I've got one that turns out kinda like a seafoam green.

Under da Sea = 1/8 tsp. Golder's Green + 1/8 tsp. Gold Dusk + 1/8 tsp. Frost + pinch of Night Light + pinch of Golden Lemon + pinch of Aire-de-Blu

soco210

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
I made some mixed pressed pigments last night..
courtneys23295.jpg

courtneys23297.jpg

from left to right I used:
1. frost and violet
2. violet, bright fuchsia, original blue
3. violet, lovely lily, rich purple
4. bright fuchsia, fuchsia, violet
5. golden olive and golders green

#2 is HOT!
choochoo.gif

KikiB

Okay a really cool mix that I just did is Helium and then a bit of Pink Pearl...I'm considering buying a thing of clear lip plumper to mix it with because it's a gorgeous sheer colour. On the cheeks it is really nice, I wonder how it will be pressed. You do more Helium than Pink Pearl...I'd say 2-1 is what I did.

LatinaRose

I mixed and pressed some pigments last night...

CIMG3789.jpg

CIMG3792.jpg

From top left, clockwise
1. Provence + Fairylite + bit of bronzer (the press isn't perfect, but I think its okay)
2. Blue + Black Black + Dark Soul (a friend got my Contrast wet and yucky, this is such a pretty replacement!)
3. Teal + Frozen White (lighter version of teal with the blue cast of frozen white, love it!)
4. Fuchsia + Bright Fuchia + Vanilla (I needed a softer version of Bright Fuchsia, this is so pretty, has the slightest gold tone from the Vanilla)

I think I'll take better swatch pics for you guys, this pic came out kinda washed out. I love the suggestions on here and plan on experimenting, will definitely post pics!!

magi

They are great. I like the blue-black the most. I think this is one I should try too :-o

cocodivatime

Love this thread. I have some empty jars and I'm going to try and make a mixture.

But question--what are you using initially before you determine if you like it? Like can you sprinkle some on napkin and mix it or somewhere else first before putting a large quantity in a jar. You know what I mean?