NC43/44 where you at?

MacObsessed

Hi ,

New to this forum so hope im on the correct thread.

I've stayed away from foundations for years as i've always been sold the wrong color. Recently bought Bobbi Brown "honey" and its a perfect match for me. Great undertone.

I went to Sephora in Canada and 3 different assistants matched me to 3 different Nars shades :( I don't think they are very helpful in there.

The Mac counter typed me as NC43 but i haven't bought any of their products. The match sounded very correct tho. I have a warmer/yellow undertone i think.

Would love to get Nars. The Syracuse looked like a good shade but i definately don't have peach undertones. It doesn't seem like many of the people who are Syracuse shade have peach undertones anyhow.

Would love to get the Mac Face and Body foundation too as i'm not looking for a heavy makeup look just to even out my complexion.

Any advise is appreciated with regards to a light-medium foundation. Bobbi Brown honey as i said seems perfect but would like something new too.

Thanks ladies
Understood, and as far as sephora, not everyone is color trained so that could be the problem, also what foundation ur being matched too could be why you are being matched to different shades because Im cadiz in nars sheer glow, but I'm Tahoe in nars sheer matte, and I'm Cuba in the tinted moisturizer. there is also no peach in syracuse (matte glow) but there is in barcelona.

kyd33

Thanks for that. I bought Nars Syracuse years ago and still have the same bottle. I'm not an everyday makeup user. Now that i visit Nars website it says that Nars Syracuse has brown undertone. Have they changed the formula for this shade? Anybody know? Cuba is a bit too dark for me but the undertone is right. Better to wear something darker than too light or wrong undertone :)

missmelsie

I think NARS Syracuse is the best shade for NC43/44 ladies. It does have a brown undertone though - I am very yellow, and while the shade matches, it does tend to look a touch "dirty" on me. Cadiz is way to dark and red! I think your MAC Face and Body shade would be C6.

kyd33

I think NARS Syracuse is the best shade for NC43/44 ladies. It does have a brown undertone though - I am very yellow, and while the shade matches, it does tend to look a touch "dirty" on me. Cadiz is way to dark and red! I think your MAC Face and Body shade would be C6.
Thanks for this. Looks like we are the same shade. I'm still very new to makeup. This brown under tone is a bit confusing to me. I'm not even sure how its different to the yellow one. I have hyper-pigmentation issues so MAC face and body would not be enough coverage for me. Was the new syracuse very much a disappointment vs the old peach one? I was hoping now that it wasn't peach it would be an improvement.
Do you have any other foundation suggestions that have medium coverage?
thanks so much.

missmelsie

It's ok, I'm still finding my feet with foundation. My neck and chest is quite light (more NC42) with really yellow/golden undertones but my face is darker and a bit more pink, so I'm forever experimenting with the right combination to make me look even and natural.

The new NARS Sheer Glow in Syracuse might be ok for a lot of people, I just found that it wasn't as yellow so when I tried to blend it, it made my face look more brown and so it didn't work with my neck and chest. But if you find you're more neutral, it could be perfect.

You might be surprised with MAC Face and Body, as I have hyperpigmentation too yet I quite like it as it's so natural but does even up my skintone. Or maybe a bit of concealer with the F&B could work? I also use powder (Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish in Golden Orange) to even up as well and it works well. Which Bobbi Brown foundation were you matched to? I like the Long Wear Even Finish (as I am a Honey also) but mix it with a bit of oil-free moisturiser in order to sheer it out a little bit so it's not too heavy.

Estee Lauder Double Wear has a few shades - Toasty Toffee (4W2) is good if you're NC44ish (it's a touch dark for me) or Honey Bronze (4W1), or even Spiced Sand (4N2) could all work. I've never tried the original formula that people rave about but I find this new stuff stays on FOREVER! It's medium-buildable coverage, too. Otherwise, the Double Wear Light formula in intensity 4.0 is another option.

I'm currently wearing MAC Pro Longwear in NC42 because I find it has a super yellow undertone to it, compared to the other formulas (I could NEVER get away with NC42 in anything else, it's so pale) I use that, plus the Bobbi Brown powder, then the Fix+ spray to take away the powdery look and I find I look natural and even with medium coverage, it's amazing! Another of my options is the NARS tinted moisturiser in Annapurna (that suits me a lot better than Cuba) or Bobbi Brown BB cream in medium-dark - with some concealer on my trouble areas and applied with a foundation brush I find they're both good options as medium coverage foundations!

Phew, I sound like a bit of a foundation nut, but hopefully you might have a few more options in the medium coverage range in some shades that suit you :)

mewantcookie

Newbie here. I'm NC43 in studio tech and was given nw40 select coverup (abit too orange for me), but not sure what colour for other products.

sagehen

Newbie here. I'm NC43 in studio tech and was given nw40 select coverup (abit too orange for me), but not sure what colour for other products.
Welcome Cookie Monster lol! Sorry, I saw your name and couldn't help it. You have come to the right thread...people mention a lot of color products in it.

mewantcookie

Hey there Sagehen, i've been looking at this thread for tips, it helps alot. Can't wait to try Mufe, not so easy to find in London.

mewantcookie

Hey there Sagehen, i've been looking at this thread for tips, it helps alot. Can't wait to try Mufe, not so easy to find in London.

kyd33

Quote:
Hi, Thanks for your reply and input. Its invaluable. Yes, NC44 is too dark for me. My chest is around NC 40 as never worn sunscreen. I am shade "honey" in Bobby Brown which is a decent match. Thats not good if Syracuse makes you look "dirty"..i know what your saying with that. I had the old formulation but is almost run out. I like "annapurna" its a smitch too dark and not yellow enough but st moritz is way too light. Hyperpigmentation is a major issue for me even under the eyes.
I have not tried Estee Lauder as it seemed very pricey but you seem happy with it so need to re-think it but with those prices can afford wrong decision. With regards to undertone...i find that seems to change with regards to how tan i get with the sun or how long my tan lasts. I can go a deeper "reddish" color when out in the sun. But normally have a slight "yellow" undertone. Does anyone in the 42-43 not have a yellow undertone? I'm biracial(black/white) and have very typical medium brown complexion that goes along with that. That said..many filipino and indian friends who are around our shade range are "yellow" undertone..I live in Toronto which is very multicultural but most in this 40-44 are more "yellow" undertone to me. Not sure why every foundation that matches me seems to have the wrong undertone. Its frustrating. I can't be alone in my frustration as there are soooo many people in this shade range across various ethnicity.
Originally Posted by missmelsie
It's ok, I'm still finding my feet with foundation. My neck and chest is quite light (more NC42) with really yellow/golden undertones but my face is darker and a bit more pink, so I'm forever experimenting with the right combination to make me look even and natural.

The new NARS Sheer Glow in Syracuse might be ok for a lot of people, I just found that it wasn't as yellow so when I tried to blend it, it made my face look more brown and so it didn't work with my neck and chest. But if you find you're more neutral, it could be perfect.

You might be surprised with MAC Face and Body, as I have hyperpigmentation too yet I quite like it as it's so natural but does even up my skintone. Or maybe a bit of concealer with the F&B could work? I also use powder (Bobbi Brown Sheer Finish in Golden Orange) to even up as well and it works well. Which Bobbi Brown foundation were you matched to? I like the Long Wear Even Finish (as I am a Honey also) but mix it with a bit of oil-free moisturiser in order to sheer it out a little bit so it's not too heavy.

Estee Lauder Double Wear has a few shades - Toasty Toffee (4W2) is good if you're NC44ish (it's a touch dark for me) or Honey Bronze (4W1), or even Spiced Sand (4N2) could all work. I've never tried the original formula that people rave about but I find this new stuff stays on FOREVER! It's medium-buildable coverage, too. Otherwise, the Double Wear Light formula in intensity 4.0 is another option.

I'm currently wearing MAC Pro Longwear in NC42 because I find it has a super yellow undertone to it, compared to the other formulas (I could NEVER get away with NC42 in anything else, it's so pale) I use that, plus the Bobbi Brown powder, then the Fix+ spray to take away the powdery look and I find I look natural and even with medium coverage, it's amazing! Another of my options is the NARS tinted moisturiser in Annapurna (that suits me a lot better than Cuba) or Bobbi Brown BB cream in medium-dark - with some concealer on my trouble areas and applied with a foundation brush I find they're both good options as medium coverage foundations!

Phew, I sound like a bit of a foundation nut, but hopefully you might have a few more options in the medium coverage range in some shades that suit you :)

aldehyde

Hi everyone, I came across this thread while Googling suggestions for contouring/highlighting products and thought I'd ask you fellow ladies for your input since you have the same colouring. Not sure if the thread is still active but I thought I'd try! I'm NC43 in Mac Studio Fix powder, NC44 in Mac Studio Fix Fluid and 173 in MUFE HD foundation. What would you recommend for contouring and highlighting? I currently use NARS Laguna for contouring and a combination of the lighter shades in the Mac concealer palette in Medium/Deep for highlighting but I'm not sure if that's the optimal mix? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

BionicWoman

I'm an NC44 in Studio Tech and I use an NW35 concealer. NW40 concealer would be too dark for you. Try NW35 or NW30 for concealer.

BionicWoman

I'm an NC44 in Studio Tech and I use an NW35 concealer. NW40 concealer would be too dark for you. Try NW35 or NW30 for concealer.

mewantcookie

Bionicwoman, thank you so much, I did think it was dark, but thought the MAC makeup artist knew what she was doing
blink.gif

kyd33

Any NC43 using MUFE face and body? Last time I had access to a counter for samples...34 was too light and 18 was much too dark. Had no desire to buy both to mix together. I see they have expanded the shade range but can't tell which shades are inbetween 34-18. I need something with a slightly yellow tinge or at least neutral but no pink. Thanks for help