periods

k.a.t

^^ Wow, i wouldn't be able to take that poor you
ssad.gif

Iam incredibly irregular when it comes to periods. My period comes usually every 4 months or so (sometimes less but it's never been a month) and so i can never tell when i'm getting my next one - highly annoying!!
Before i used to get bad cramps that made me cry but i'd just lie in bed all day taking nurofen (love that stuff hehe) until it passed. However i only get mild cramps now which i can ignore or just take some more nurofen to ease them
smiles.gif
Also i find that a nice hot bath really helps, or maybe sleeping through it
smiles.gif

Karlalarla

I know it's weird but I hardly ever get periods...! They started when I was 14 (im 17 now) and they used to be really accurate for about 3 months and after that, they've been months apart! Which I didnt mind at the time, because I knew i'd be okay during holidays and stuff when the other girls were curling up in the beds, i'd be running around hormone free haha...it came in november and december but I havent heard from it since! All ofmy friends could nearly time their watches by them..!

Winnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
^ hahaha don't get me started on "hello un attractive underwear" when i'm on my period! I HAVE to wear comfortable, cotton panties that i don't wear normally when i'm not on my period.

Haha sooo true.
This post makes me laugh because everything is so true- isn't it great being a girl?
lol.gif
Mine are somewhat regular, but I was quite stressed last month and It was a few weeks late. Pretty normal for me though.

lvgz

fashionette, do you take vitamins? my period was like that before too. HORRIBLE cramps, spent at least the first 3 days of my period or around my period wanting to puke (&puking), headaches and almost blacked out once. then i found out that im low on iron. there are iron supplements or centrum vitamins that help. its helped me a lot. it was so bad before.. cramps to where i couldnt get outta bed.

fashionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvgz
fashionette, do you take vitamins? my period was like that before too. HORRIBLE cramps, spent at least the first 3 days of my period or around my period wanting to puke (&puking), headaches and almost blacked out once. then i found out that im low on iron. there are iron supplements or centrum vitamins that help. its helped me a lot. it was so bad before.. cramps to where i couldnt get outta bed.

Nope, I don't. Thank you, I didn't know this.
smiles.gif

revinn

Everyone will hate me for typing this, but here goes, haha. I went on the pill for acne when I was 14 (Tri-Cyclin Lo), and every since, I have four day long periods (Wed. to Sat, sometimes Sun. if it's a bad month), and I don't have any PMS or cramps. I bleed so little that I can't even wear tampons..it's awesome!! So needless to say, my period doesn't really affect my life at all!

macchristyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
Don't y'all just hate it when you can actually feel the blood "clot" coming out of you, as if you're giving birth or something. You're walking along, minding your own business, and SPLAT! IT'S OUT! It's so annoying.
Also, that strong metallic smell (iron?) of blood is gruesome. It's like, you know people can smell you coming from a mile away. It's so funny, because I'll be sitting down, next to people, and the smell is so strong, but the thing is, only I can smell it. It's like Damn! Gotta go change that tampon/pad!
The worst is old brown blood. You get all hopeful that maybe just maybe your period is over, and 2 days later, you see a dot of brown blood. Ugh.

HAHAHAHA i know what you mean
th_roll1.gif

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by revinn
Everyone will hate me for typing this, but here goes, haha. I went on the pill for acne when I was 14 (Tri-Cyclin Lo), and every since, I have four day long periods (Wed. to Sat, sometimes Sun. if it's a bad month), and I don't have any PMS or cramps. I bleed so little that I can't even wear tampons..it's awesome!! So needless to say, my period doesn't really affect my life at all!

Wow i'm so jealous!

Kuuipo

Some things that help with periods:

Aleve (naproxen)
Motrin (Ibuprofen)
Warm packs and hot water bottles on your abdomen.
Sarafem (fluoxetine or Prozac ) for menstrual dysphoria
SlowFe (time released iron tablets)
A supplement with b vitamins (good for the nerves) and calcium (cramps)
chocolate
Dong Quai and Black cohosh
Chamomile tea

LOCa

I Can't Even Read This Whole Thing. Gross.

Is PMS Really Even Real?

Cause I Don't Get That... Ever

I Always Thought It Was Just An Excuse For Girls To Act Like Little B!TCHHHHHES Especially My Cousins UGHHHHHHHHhh

Kuuipo

PMS and PMD (pre menstrual dysphoria) are real, hormonal based mood disorders but they won't get you out free - its not a behavioural excuse.

rosenbud

The Pill really helped me.
During my Teens I was on Dianette to clear up my skin, it helped with my period pain but like someone else pointed out killed my sex drive and well when I look back I was like a walking zombie.

In my 20's I changed to Celeste, best thing ever!!!!!!!!
My sex drive returned, I feel normal, regular periods, no PMS, no period pains, no weight gain at all, if I roll my pill and choose to miss a period I get no spotting either, I love being on this Pill!

I think getting the type of Pill that's right for you is the Key thing.

Another method that helped me was using a Mooncup:

Mooncup Menstrual Cup

I will share my experiences with the Mooncup (Diva cup is similar I think).
Before buying one of these I was mainly using Sanitary Towels and on the Odd occasion Tampons, however I found I was suffering from regular bouts of Thrush and Cystitis, I have used a Mooncup for about 3 years now and in that time have never suffered from either of these conditions.

To insert the cup, I press it flat, then scrunch the sides together and insert, there is a nice diagram on the Mooncup website, like a tampon I push it up as far as it will go, it should pop open and stay in place.
Don't worry about the air holes around the egde of the cup, they act as a suction device and no blood will seep through.
The stem on the cup can be cut to any size, I actually cut mine off as I found it more comfortable this way.

To remove the cup you either pull the stem down or gently squeaze the bottom of the cup to release the grip and gently pull downwards, keeping upright simply remove and empty.
You should find there is no smell, where as with towels air and bacteria mix with the blood creating that awful cloying smell.

I empty my cup in the morning and last thing at night, I normally give it a quick rinse before re-inserting. During the day I just forget about it so no need to worry about it when at work. If you are worried about overspill, I have only ever filled just over half a cup on my heaviest day.

Another worry I used to have is if I went for a 'number 2' and the pushing motion might push out the cup, this has never happened, the air holes should keep the cup locked firmly in place, your cup may get pushed further down the vagina, simply push it back up, no blood will spill out.
At night I have never had any leaks, even though I tend to mover around a lot and suffer from a restless sleep, I have never even had what I call 'strawberry jam' streaks, unlike sanitary towels that strayed.

The cup even holds up in exercise, you could stand on your head and not get any leaks, I have also been on holiday and worn a bikini, gone swimming with my mooncup in place with no leaks.

To clean I use a jar, pour in Milton/Steralising Fluid and boiling water, pop the cup in and leave overnight.
I normally clean before and after my period and just rinse throughout when I empty it.
A reason I hate towels and tampons is that they soak up natural vaginal cleansing and lubricating juices as well as blood and this can lead to a 'dehydrated vagina' which can cause cramps and more period pains.

The only side effect you may experience is the cup massaging your walls so you end up ahem horny as hell.! lol

cupcake_x

Hot showers and relaxing help me most. I also stopped taking any medication for pain and noticed my cramps haven't been anywhere as bad as they used to be.
Also, it's been proven that orgasming curbs cramps. I tried it, and it works!

As for dealing with my emotions, I ask to be left alone. Luckily, my boyfriend is very understanding when I get emotional and angry. It helps to write down your feelings and be by yourself.

ItaliNicki

OMG!! So true (and so disgusting)! And men think they have problems to deal with! Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
Don't y'all just hate it when you can actually feel the blood "clot" coming out of you, as if you're giving birth or something. You're walking along, minding your own business, and SPLAT! IT'S OUT! It's so annoying.
Also, that strong metallic smell (iron?) of blood is gruesome. It's like, you know people can smell you coming from a mile away. It's so funny, because I'll be sitting down, next to people, and the smell is so strong, but the thing is, only I can smell it. It's like Damn! Gotta go change that tampon/pad!
The worst is old brown blood. You get all hopeful that maybe just maybe your period is over, and 2 days later, you see a dot of brown blood. Ugh.

Honey B. Fly

drinking hot cocoa made with milk helps me alot lately. ive tried midol but i really prefer ibuprofen, my cramps suck so bad.
ssad.gif

ZoeKat

I decided to read this thread because I'm sitting here right now in baggy pajamas, on my period, stuffing my face with chocolate! I had terrible periods as a teenager. They usually lasted 8 days and the cramps were insane. I remember when I was 17, one in particular was so painful that I was curled up into a ball on the floor while my poor high school boyfriend sat on the couch not knowing what to do. My doctor put me on the pill when I was 18 - Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I'm now 25 and I've been on it consistently. It works really well for me. My periods are now 5 days and I can predict its arrival almost to the hour. Wednesday-Sunday. My skin cleared up with it, and I had no weight gain at all except for the boobage area. The cramps I do get are only on the first day, and they're tolerable. I loooove Ortho. A couple times I've considered trying something new, but I decided "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." My PMS has always been pretty minimal. I might cry over a sad commercial, but that's it. But this chocolate thing is out of control! I noticed that after I turned 24, a couple days before my period starts I have intense chocolate cravings.

If I ever do have a bad period, I put on my sweats and drink hot tea. Aleve helps, too. Midol has never done much for me.

But yeah I love this thread! I live with my boyfriend and I don't often have the chance to discuss that disgusting feeling of clots coming out. Thanks ladies!

Edie

Mine is the same as everyone else...

Heat Pack...Nurofen taken every 4 hours!!!.....Some form of chocolate...a warm bath to soak in and a GREAT GIRLY flick that I can relieve my pent-up emotion on!!

Hmmm....perhaps they should come around more often??? hahahaha....On second thought..no thanks!

TDoll

Lo Estrin 24 works wonders I tell you... Now, mine only lasts about 4 days and is pretty light. It used to be over a week long and very heavy. It has lower hormones too which is good...no crazy mood swings or weight gain either. However, I've noticed that my cramping is worse on this. But, it only lasts a few hours the day I start...however, they're pretty intense.

lyttleravyn

I used to be on the pill for a few years, then switched to the patch. I was still getting pretty bad cramps and a heavy period. I decided to go to something a little more long-term. In November, I got an Implanon implant in my upper arm. For the first 2-3 months my periods were a little lighter and cramps were very very light. Now, I'm happy to report I haven't gotten my period at all in 3 months! (And no I'm not preggers) I also haven't gotten any kind of cramps, spotting, mood swings, nothing!! I'm also in a great mood all the time haha, it's like being on anti-depressants but no drugs
smiles.gif
I don't think these results are common in every woman, but if these last the entire duration of my Implanon then I'm looking at 3 years of no periods woot!

The only side effect is that I have gained about 8lbs, but I think that also might be my bf's fault...he keeps indulging my horrible sweet tooth! haha