Porcelain Beauties: Rants and Raves for foundations

MisStarrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graziella*K
I'm an NW15 who would like to test a NW10 if it existed !

There is a W10 full coverage-but it's pro store only.

DamenesGirl

Bobbi Brown is the best I have used- moisture rich foundation.

I have just swapped to her tinted moisturiser in x light

Clinique stuff (all of it) turns orange on me, too. I had the Airbrush Concealer a few years ago (should've known better) and found myself in the car mirror with circus-peanut orange streaks on my face. D'oh!

I have problems finding a MAC shade that isn't either too dark or too corpselike. Well-meaning MAs just looooove to turn me orange because they don't want to wash me out, but I guess their alternative is chalky pale death, which isn't very realistic either. Bah!

Laura Mercier moisturising foundation is probably the only thing that reliably doesn't go terrible, although the labels like to pop off the bottoms of the glass bottles so I inevitably pick up the wrong one (I have summer and winter shades) when I'm packing for a trip. I should really permanently mark them...
th_rolleye0014.gif

ChanelAddicted

I'm lucky, I found my perfect match in Clarins Truly Matte in the lightest shade. I like the dewy look, but none of the foundations i've tried can give me that "glow" without turning me orange! I'll settle for perfect match in matte hehe...

Chanel was a disappointement (sp?) for me, turned orange every single time, every single foundation. I was soooo sad lol

Magic Markers

Right now I'm using Loreal Balancing Foundation in "pale". I really like it. It's got a nice color to it without being ashy. It matches nicely
smiles.gif

I also did pretty good with max factor I do believe?

nyrak

Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer is a foundation/concealer that has very very pale shades - I am a BE Fair, NW20 and KA#2 was like white paint on me. Uber pale girls might want to check that one out.

Ella_

Face Atelier porcelain is my perfect match and for really pale ladies you can add a drop of zero- to it to make it even paler. It is yellow based though so thats something to be aware of.

Winthrop44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella_
Face Atelier porcelain is my perfect match and for really pale ladies you can add a drop of zero- to it to make it even paler. It is yellow based though so thats something to be aware of.

Thanks for the info. What are you in MAC? I'm an NC15 (but routinely wear Alima MMU in N1) and have been wondering what I would be in FA.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
Kicking things off with another subject:

I have a hard time finding a foundation that works for me. How 'bout you? I saw some mutterings about this in our first thread, so let's chat about it!

Right now I'm using M.A.C. Studio Tech in NW15, which is a pretty close match if used with a light hand. The trouble is: it doesn't cover those pesky light veins that run from my cheeks to my jawline. But using a heavier hand results in a cakey look or really emphasizes a color-mismatch.

I haven't found anything else that works better, because a lot of the really pale colors I've tried are white-white, meaning: there's no color at all in them, so I look like I'm doing Kabuki! So, I do the best I can with my foundation, then I divert attention with eye make-up (or so I hope!).

There's got to be a balance. What have you tried? What do you like? What real stinkers have you come across?

I'm pale; probably NW15 is the "standard" classification that comes closest to matching my actual skin color.
My skin has slight pink undertones, which I personally like, but I wish I had a dime for every cosmetic counter at which I've had green stuff applied to my face to "neutralize it." At a counter across the aisle, somone else would insist that what I needed was something lavender to counteract my "sallowness."
:eek2:

I resent the implication that, because I'm pale, my skin is not the "right" color.
Until a few months ago, I'd been an all-my-adult-life liquid foundation user, with less than stellar results.
Most liquid foundations were too dark, too pink, or too orange/peach.
Then recently, at the age of 43, I discovered mineral powder foundation! <trumpet fanfare!>
I'm using one by Pure Luxe cosmetics in a shade called "Babyface," and I LOVE it! I just brush it on, and in seconds, my skin looks [almost] flawless. Even my mother, who isn't lavish with her compliments, remarked that this foundation makes me look as if I'm "not wearing makeup, but just have really nice skin!" This remark was made when we were in bright morning sunlight.
Yeah, I occasionally still have to supplement with a little concealer, but about 90% of the time, "Babyface" gives me all the coverage I need. Sure, if one were to peer very closely at my skin, makeup and pores would be visible, but at a socially acceptable distance, my skin looks great.
BTW, Pure Luxe also makes a translucent matte setting powder that is phenomenal.
In general, I think the most important thing is to keep your skin in optimal health, then look for the cosmetic products that suit it best. And I enthusiastically suggest rejecting the idea that you're "too pale," or that your skin is somehow not the "right" shade.

Ella_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winthrop44
Thanks for the info. What are you in MAC? I'm an NC15 (but routinely wear Alima MMU in N1) and have been wondering what I would be in FA.

Im a touch darker than NC15. FA offer samples on the website for around $1 so grab one if you want to try before your buy

adela88

Re: When NW15 is too dark: Foundation help

dior foundation is terrible, same with chanel and lancome.While their other products are good they just dont seem to make a shade light enough.
i use select cover up in a nw15 mixed with moisteriser for light coverage around the face.I think in winter months ill need to move onto somthing else though

Karen_B

Lumene makes a sheer foundation called Hydra Drops something or other. The lightest shade is pretty light. Also, because it's so sheer, it doesn't turn your skin orange. It's just a hint more covering than a tinted moisturizer. However if you want more coverage it mightn't be the stuff for you.

PomPoko

Givenchy have one, its subli'mine foundation in 101(exact dragee) which is a bit pink and too light on me if I use it all over my face (I'm an NC20 in summer, about an nc15 in winter I'd say, though I've not been in the sun much this year) I can't say if it'll be lighter than nw15 but I thought I'd throw that suggestion in
smiles.gif

tsukiyomi

Loreal Visible Lift Firming in Soft Ivory is a nice shade of porcelain and very light. NC and NW 15 are too dark for me but I still wear them sometimes with a light powder over it because I like MAC's coverage. It's a shame that more companies don't realise that people come in VERY light shades.

NoAddedSugar

I'm NW15.

Several years ago I went on powder foundation hunt and tried everyone (stick foundations too) I could find. I finally settled on Mac Studio Fix in N2. I used it for several years, but then I moved to the UK and found my skin changed so the powder foundation made it drier instead of combating the oil.

I've had Custom Blend done ant PX and although I love the colour result, by afternoon it looks crap and not easy to retouch so I've used about half but got bored. Its also pretty damn expensive for a re-fill.

I've tried quite a few MMU brands available here but either couldn't get the coverage for the redness in my cheeks or just not the right colour match, or too drying.

I do like Bourjois 10hr Sleep effect, I use the lightest which is Abricote Claire...it looks good in pics, but sometimes I feel even then maybe its not light enough compared to my neck.

I've not tried a lot of other MAC foundations except Studio Tech and NW15 is a perfect match and good coverage but its way to heavy and goes cakey in the middle of the day.

At the moment I am using Chanel Teint Innocence in Faince, again the lightest colour, but it is a bit yellow. That is ok in that it covers my reddness but again when I compare to my neck I can really see the difference. Sometimes I think my neck is NC10 and my face is NW15!

I'm contemplating trying Mac HyperReel, Complete Coverage and the MUFE Velvet someone mentioned above.

Clinique never looked good on me or Bobbi Brown or Laura Mercier

Actually the best match I ever had was an Estee Lauder stick foundation but they discontinued the colour. It game in a groovy gold twist up case, I loved it
smiles.gif

Holls*

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this topic!
cheerleader.gif
I am so fair that people make fun of me (even though im proud of it.)I must say that i do live in the South so everyone around me is a golden goddess. Right now BE foundation is my HG, with MAC concealer of course. Its the only thing that stays on my face and hides my imperfections.

I'd love for us to have our own topic on the forums...

Holls

NoAddedSugar

Got a new semi-rave, I've only used it a few times so it may not last as a fave.

Esprique Precious powder foundation in BO300. This is a japanese brand so not easy to get hold of. I bought it from adambeauty.com which is in Hong Kong. I've been on a japanese MU kick recently and finally decided to start trying some foundations. So far so good. This colour is a decent match (there don't seem to be many colour choices with most Japanese MU but they usually have lighter shades) a tad on the yellow side but again I kind of like this because of my red cheeks etc. This however is not as yellow as TBS All in One 02 which can be quite yellow for me.

The coverage is good and it seems to like Clarins Beauty Flash Balm as a primer. Doesn't go all cakey and horrible at the end of the day. Does require touching up but the compact is really lovely and a nice huge mirror for applying my other MU.

So far a huge thumbs up. Although, I have gotten used to using my "radiance" style foundations and this is quite matte, but a quick dash of my Yogamode beauty powder and problem solved
smiles.gif

Kuuipo

Laura Mercier on the high end. Because pale has so many different undertones and it should not look chalky. This foundation will not make you look embalmed!