Red lipstick

QueenEmB

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodles
I just got Lady Bug l/s and red enriched l/l. I have NC20 skin, brown eyes and red hair. I've been told by many that this is a good red to get your feet wet with.
winks.gif
What else do you think would be good for me? I love the bombshell, classic pin-up look.

You could try MAC red - it's a blue based red. Personally it doesn't suit me and I'm an NC20 as well but you could give it a go.

doodles

Now whats the difference between a blue based red and say, an orange based one? I thought I read somewhere that one makes the red look more pink?

Heiaken

Blue based reds are cooler and orage based are warmer, usually a blue based red may look more pink.

doodles

Oh yeah, duh!
fool.gif
I guess I'll look for orange based red's as I want a red red.
winks.gif
Yeah, I ain't afraid hehe

Heiaken

Blue based reds are red red too, fro example Rapturous mattene from CoC is a cool red (blue based) and it's not pink at all, it's more or a scarlet red. What you have to decide is that do you want a warm or a cool red.

doodles

What are some of your best tips for applying red enriched l/l with lady bug l/s? I just got them (and obviously new to red lip shades) and feeling a bit clumsy about it...

kimmy

Quote:
What are some of your best tips for applying red enriched l/l with lady bug l/s? I just got them (and obviously new to red lip shades) and feeling a bit clumsy about it...

a very steady hand and a lip brush. there's a good tutorial here that might help you out a little.
winks.gif
i definately suggest using a lip brush when you're using bolder colours, especially reds, because you have more control over the product.

i'm a big fan of the pin-up look and my favourite red lip combinations are flirt! cherry pie l/l + mac rockocco l/s + mac pure vanity l/g and my new love, mac brick l/l + mac "red" she said l/s. rockocco and pure vanity were limited edition from i think last year or the year before, so they might be kind of difficult to find now, but russian red is also a really nice pin-up red.

doodles

I already have 2 pigments on my shopping list...wonder if i can get away with adding a lip brush
winks.gif
Another question, are you suppose to wear neutral e/s when you wear red or does it matter?

kimmy

Quote:
I already have 2 pigments on my shopping list...wonder if i can get away with adding a lip brush
winks.gif
Another question, are you suppose to wear neutral e/s when you wear red or does it matter?

it's all a matter of personal preference. like kevyn aucoin said, there's no rules in makeup.

i always wear neutral eyeshadow and/or black eyeliner with red lips because i don't really feel comfortable using colours with red lips. some people can really rock bold eyes and lips, though!

cno64

Quote:

I think it's entirely a matter of your personal preference.
I'm brunette, and have large eyes and moderately full lips.
One of my favorite looks [ on me] is Satin Taupe eyeshadow and thin lines of Blacktrack Fluidline, on upper lids only, with red lipstick.

chaut_01

I'm NC 30/35 and i just recently bought Ruby Woo l/s with cherry l/l goes on GREAT ..i am going to be a pin up girl for halloween and this l/s is perfect for that look! the prep and prime will make the l/s go on smoother but its jus an option! and to help it not go runny DuWop's reverse lip thing helps with that! and if you want a shine i purchased Auto body red l/g from CCO (i know it varies each CCO) since they dont sell it at the reg. mac stores any more. at least i dont think it does.

_tiffany

Best Red Drugstore Lipstick?

I never wear lipstick, but for Halloween I want to get a good red lipstick that will last for most of the night. I also might draw on my face with it a little bit. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best brand to buy? Or should I get face paint if I'm going to be using a little bit on my face? I don't want to mess up my skin. T.I.A.

ZoZo

Re: Best Red Drugstore Lipstick?

I have two Red lip Stick from drug store brand (NYC) and they are pretty good and cheap.

their names Retro Red 308B and Sheer Red 309B.

kimmy

Re: Best Red Drugstore Lipstick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tiffany
I never wear lipstick, but for Halloween I want to get a good red lipstick that will last for most of the night. I also might draw on my face with it a little bit. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best brand to buy? Or should I get face paint if I'm going to be using a little bit on my face? I don't want to mess up my skin. T.I.A.

merged your thread with the already existing thread for red lipstick discussion.
winks.gif

if you can find milani, they have a really pretty red i think it's called candy apple, or something to that effect.

Monakhd

I have lady bug too and it's very pretty.

I actually think the new "Red, She Said" lipstick could also be a beautiful juicy stawberry wash of color-using red enriched as your liner, apply the lipstick with a lip brush, then blot once and it's the most gorgeous color ever.

I have almost every single red release and it amazes me how almost all of them are unique (*almost*!).

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I don't know if you're only considering l/s but Russian Red is a lipglass that is a perfect true red that doesn't go pink or orange (IMHO) and would give a more sheer colour if that's what you're looking for.

I use it with Cherry lipliner when I want a "full coverage" true red lip.

You might also consider Redd (another "true" red) lipliner with a clear gloss.

I really, really need Russian Red lipglass. I keep seeing it and than end up getting something else. I have the Russian Red lipstick. I bought it back in like 2005 but only wore it a couple of times. It just seems so .. bold. But every other red go pink on me.

This thread inspired me to pull out my russian red and i'm been wearing it since!

matsubie

i really love ruby woo and dubonnet.

i have been reading great reviews for russian red l/s. i think i'll try that color next.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsubie

i have been reading great reviews for russian red l/s. i think i'll try that color next.

On me, NW15/brunette/green eyes, Russian Red comes out not as a true bright, stoplight, Santa's suit red, but more of a deep, almost muted, ruby red.
I like Red Enriched liner with it.
I like Russian Red, but when I want true blazing red lips I go for [discontinued] Powerhouse.
Powerhouse was the very first lipstick that ever looked truly red, not pink, on me, and it was a revelation.
I couldn't believe it was discontinued; I almost hurt myself getting a backup.
I want to try Lady Danger next but, honestly, I'm afraid of it!