Red lipstick

ForgetRegret

Re: Super Bright MAC Red Lipstick

I love MAC Red. Ruby Woo is gorgeous, but I simply CANNOT wear matte lipsticks. MAC Red is a Satin, and really very close to Ruby Woo (MAC Red is also a bright bluish red), so I'd say that it depends on what formula you prefer.

Meisje

I know it's not MAC, but --- Revlon Red is a bright, true, warm red. It's incredible.

Zephyra

Viva Glam I might be worth checking out if you want a deeper red. I bought it recently and can't believe I hadn't tried it before. I agree with Lady Danger for serious pop!

LMD84

at the top of the page there is a massive thread just on red lipsticks
smiles.gif
if you take a look there i'm sure you'll find one that takes your fancy.

i like ruby woo - it's matte finish which gives a more classic look to me. plus adding a red gloss like cult of cherry over it looks amazing too. and it's super bright!

Ninahita

i have viva glam 1 and i like it (my first red lipstick
smiles.gif
). its a little dark but looks very classy.
i'm still waiting for a perfect occasion to wear it though
greengrin.gif

but i also like cherry lipliner with a clear lipglass on top
smiles.gif

reading the comments i think i want to try out russian red and new york apple next. seems like these colors are also beautiful
smiles.gif

thiscarmen

Russian Red is definitely a bold, in-your-face red. A reddish colour I'd recommend for everyday wear is something like Brick-O-La. Not EXACTLY red, but berryish and I really like it under Venetian lipglass.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninahita

reading the comments i think i want to try out russian red and new york apple next. seems like these colors are also beautiful
smiles.gif

Those are beautiful, but they're very different from each other.
I own both, and here are my(NW15) thoughts:
Russian Red - This one doesn't look true red on me, but instead looks almost maroon. It is *very* matte, and highly pigmented. I find it wearable, though, with balm underneath. With Red Enriched liner, Russian Red is a very deep, almost vampy "cool weather red."
New York Apple - This one is a frost, and not true red on me, either. New York Apple is a pinky red, and looks almost plum on me. On my best friend, however, New York Apple looks burgundy.
I find the frost/shimmer in New York Apple to be lovely, and the texture is not as dry as Russian Red's.
Of the two, I think I like New York Apple best, though I don't wear it that much.
I think that's because I find myself passing it by for the truly stellar Queen's Sin and Port Red.
love.gif

co_quette

ruby woo is my favorite. i love that it's bright and has a blue undertone but it still looks like a classic red, not a berry shade. it feels like cement going on but it stays on forever and i don't find it that drying.

peachy pink

I got MAC Red today. My MUA put it on and I think I reaaally like it ... but I'm ABSOLUTELY not used to it ... gosh that was sooo weird walking around like that.
Later I took a pic with my Blackberry. What do you guys think?

166i0jc.jpg

It was pretty worn off by that time .. but still...

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_quette
ruby woo is my favorite. i love that it's bright and has a blue undertone but it still looks like a classic red, not a berry shade. it feels like cement going on but it stays on forever and i don't find it that drying.

I, too, love Ruby Woo, though I think Powerhouse will always be my absolute favorite bright true red.
I find Ruby Woo to be a good "Christmas red," since it's approximately the color of bright red ripe holly berries.
I agree, however, that Ruby Woo isn't a "berry red" in the same sense that shades like Rapturous, Berry Boost and So Scarlet are berry reds.
They're more subdued than Ruby Woo.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy pink
I got MAC Red today. My MUA put it on and I think I reaaally like it ... but I'm ABSOLUTELY not used to it ... gosh that was sooo weird walking around like that.

I think it looks terrific, and very festive!
You have pretty lips; I can think of much worse things than playing them up with a cherry red lipstick!
thmbup.gif

peachy pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
I think it looks terrific, and very festive!
You have pretty lips; I can think of much worse things than playing them up with a cherry red lipstick!
thmbup.gif

Thank you soooo much! I'm a little insecure, because that's def a "YES-I'm-wearing-red"-red, a first for me
smiles.gif
Thanks again <3

Quote:

166i0jc.jpg

It was pretty worn off by that time .. but still...

I LOVE it!

cno64

Quote:
I'm a little insecure, because that's def a "YES-I'm-wearing-red"-red, a first for me
smiles.gif
Thanks again <3

I think that one was actually a good red to start out in.
If you'd tried one of the "heavier" reds, like Russian Red or Ruby Woo, for your very first go at red lipstick you might have been traumatized.
thud.gif

Of course, you may progress to those later.
I've gotten so used to wearing red lipstick that I don't think much about it.
But, then again, since I too have pretty lips, I've always been rather nervy when it comes to strong lip colors.