Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

charlotte366

@buffy89 I can relate ! Blush is my big weakness too! Following posting my 1 year on stats a week or 2 ago I decided that a project 30 day lip challenge was needed to slim my stash down again, I started on the 1st April and here is what I have worn so far: 1. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella 2. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Never say never 3. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine 4. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita 5. YSL Volupte Tint in Oil 6. Clinique Colour Pop in Nude Pop 7. Clinique Colour Pop in Sweet Pop 8. Estee Lauder Pure Shimmer Gloss in Passionfruit Conclusions so far ? NARS Matte lip pencils and I do not get on....too drying for me so i think I am going to toss these, they have had good wear but I would rather reach for my Satin Lip pencils.! Last time I did this challenge I identified that my lips don't cope well with shimmer/glitter...it seems to dry my lips and irritate them. Suprisingly the Estee Lauder gloss is a maybe, no irriatation occured. YSL Volupte tint in oil is a love and will be staying. The new clinique lip pops, love the packaging, nude pop is assume a really good nude mlbb colour on me and the formula applied nicely and didn't appear drying. Sweet pop, not so sure on the colour a little bit too barbie pink on me maybe ? its staying for now and will try wearing it again post challenge.

kerry-jane88

[@]charlotte366[/@] those types of challenges are the best way to compare wear and preference, I must set myself one soon!

B

Buffy89

I should do that kinda challenge as well. Even if I don't wanna purge a lot, this way I can learn more about my habits and preferences (=what I should skip when new collections arrive in the future).

kerry-jane88

I've decided I've got too many eyeshadows
46cbbc2a_image.jpeg
I really dislike having the massive 15 mac palettes, which is ironic considering the time/effort/money I spent depotting singles or quads into them. I prefer something I can pick up and travel easily with, so I'll probably aim to go back to getting a few shades into some 4 pan quads and give the bigger palettes to my sister with a lot of shades I don't use. Swatching colours now!

veronikawithak

46cbbc2a_image.jpeg
I really dislike having the massive 15 mac palettes, which is ironic considering the time/effort/money I spent depotting singles or quads into them. I prefer something I can pick up and travel easily with, so I'll probably aim to go back to getting a few shades into some 4 pan quads and give the bigger palettes to my sister with a lot of shades I don't use. Swatching colours now!
Oh man I went through that whole cycle too! Building the palettes.. deciding that I didn't enjoy the palettes.. downsizing the palettes.. Now I have one z-palette of 9 and the Naked Basics 2. Life is so much easier. Enjoy the experience! I hope it helps you as much as it did me!

B

Buffy89

Some time ago, everybody here seemed to depot their things and I really wanted to do so as well, but I didn't find the time for that, and to be honest, I guess I won't in the next few months. I thought I might grab for a wider variety of eyeshadows if they were in large palettes instead of single pans that need to be fished out of the drawer and opened separately etc. At least I haven't bought any Z palettes / 15 pan palettes yet, so no money wasted on them. There are some eyeshadows that are just the right material for a challenge, like love-it-or-purge-it, and I need to take care of them first before I depot them just to purge them afterwards.

Ohhhh and I need to make a confession, I got another lippie from Mac is Beauty, and a fluidline. Nothing else planned for April, so I hope it's okay. Uni is gonna start again next week and I guess I'll need some money for activities with my fellow students, so no extra cash for more frivolous purchases I guess. My Marie Kondo book was delivered today and I'm really excited, I guess I'll always read a few pages before I go to sleep.

VAL4M

Swatching colours now!
I do prefer quads too, much more simple..... BUT if you buy a already built quad, I always have the deeper shade almost unused because you just apply less of it. That why some singles are still useful
I'm seriously thinking of depotting some quad but I will need to find a tutorial on Youtube for those more High end brand
Here the few quad that i'm working on, my own interpretation of my Pan that Palette challenge, that Lancome will be challenging I have 2 dark blues!

As for my low-buy I just purchase a Marcelle BB creme (20$) because I finished 1 foundation, 1 tinted moisturizer and 1 BB cream in a month (they were all on their last leg) so now I only have 1 foundation (Guerlain Parure Extreme) almost new, 1 BB cream that is almost finished, and 2 other BB cream that just too dark for me right now so I needed something to mix them with until I have a tan)
Also I decide I will only purchase one perfume this year instead of several at 100$ and plus so I made the plunge and purchase Guerlain Tonka Imperiale at 300$ !!! I decide to go with ''quality instead of quantity'' so this is it with perfume that was my first and last purchase for perfume this year (finger cross)

jennyap

46cbbc2a_image.jpeg
I like the 15 pan palettes at home, as I can more easily see what I have. For travel, I have an empty quad, and swap pans from the big palettes into that. My March purchases: all 3 Julia Petit lippies. Acai I could have skipped, I might CB it. Otherwise very happy with that. I need - yes need! - Hollywood Cerise from Philip Treacy, then I'm going on a Mac lipstick no-buy for a while. Probably a complete lipstick no-buy in fact! Luckily Mac is Beauty isn't a problem in that regard - my issue there is that I kinda want all the eye products. Not literally all, lol, but way too many. Currently eyeing up IGNK, Blue Peep, Siahi, Looking Good, Wow Factor. Need to talk myself out of some of those! At least there should be plenty of chance to swatch that collection, that usually helps me. After that, Wash and Dry is a total skip.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Did a bit of purging last night and got rid of close to half my nail polishes. Some I wasn't into anymore (a couple of glitters), a few I'd not worn in ages, and there was at least one that was just not good. Makeup-wise, I've not bought anything since end of February/beginning of March. I have been window-shopping/researching brushes online, though, and can begin making strides in that direction soonish. I think I've got what I want narrowed down. Meanwhile, FOTD... * Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer (yep, me likes!) * mix of Maybelline Fit Me Foundation - 110 (old packaging; this would be the equivalent of the current Dewy and Flawless formula) + MAC Face and Body - White (tossed Fit Me; I've not finished it, but I'm not happy with it so don't want it anymore) * MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 * OCC Skin Conceal - mix of Y0 and Y1 * Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - Transparent * Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown * Maybelline Brow Drama Brow Mascara - Clear * NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base * Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny * Makeup Geek Eyeshadows - Barcelona Beach (crease), Envy (lashlines) * Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette - Foxy (lid) * Prestige Total Intensity Eyeliner Pencil - Outrageous Emerald (lashlines) * MAC Chromagraphic Pencil - NC15/NW20 (lower waterline) * Marc Jacobs O!Mega Volume mascara - Blacquer * OCC Creme Colour Concentrate - John Doe (contour base) * MAC Blush - Next to Skin (set contour) * NARS Blush - Sex Appeal * Prestige Waterproof Lipliner - Andorra * NYX Slimline Lip Pencil - Pale Pink * NYX Megashine Lip Gloss - Nude Pink

charlotte366

30 day lip challenge update: 1. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella - Going 2. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Never say never - Going 3. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine - Going 4. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita - Going 5. YSL Volupte Tint in Oil - Staying 6. Clinique Colour Pop in Nude Pop - Staying 7. Clinique Colour Pop in Sweet Pop - Staying 8. Estee Lauder Pure Shimmer Gloss in Passionfruit - Going 9. Revlon Moisture Stain in Barcelona Nights - Going 10. Revlon Moisture Stain in Shangai Sizzle - Going 11. MAC Lustre in Syrup - Staying 12. Bourjois Rouge Velvet in Personnel de Rouge - Staying 13. Bourjois Rouge Velvet in Nudist - Going Nearly half way through my challenge already! It should be noted that I picked out all new products and products that I wasn't sure about for the first 30 day challenge as the aim is to downsize so I am better off concentrating on things that I wasn't sure about rather than known "loves" Revlon Moisture Stains....I love the idea but struggle to get even application and staying powder, too much hassle for me I think. I hope the Bourjois Aqua Additions don't have a formula like this, but i will find out in the next couple of days when I get round to those. I am testing Velvet Editions in Nudist and Happy New Year tomorrow, I was searching for a good MLBB matte nude colour and these seem to be unloved, which is odd as I love the formula, Nudist is too peach on me and I think Happy New Year is prob too dark on me hence why Nudist is now in the "out" make up bag. I cleared my closet out and went shopping to get the one thing that was missing - black trousers for work! proud that I didn't buy loads of stuff. Trying to embrace a more minimal me, planning on clearing out the book shelf this week for the charity shop if I can summon the courage!

kerry-jane88

[@]charlotte366[/@] a strong effort with the lip challenge there! I found that my nars and revlon lip products were the easiest to purge, as nars is too drying on me and I just hated the wear of the revlons.

charlotte366

Thanks Kerry, I think its true that the drugstore stuff is easiest to get rid of and once I ascertain that formula is crap on me its so much easier! I think 2 months of challenges should have me sorted....a lot of the lippies I have left to try are mini's from sets, hopefully once I have got rid of stuff that doesn't agree with me these should be easy to use up too! I can't wait for everything to be more minimal, I just don't want to make bad decisions on the way!

kerry-jane88

Forgot to follow up how I did with my eyeshadow purge:
3e68480e_image.jpeg
I forgot to take a picture before after too, but I more or less kept the top 15 palette and gave away the bottom one with the more cool shades in to my sister. I filled it with a purple and I depotted my a novel romance quad and put a deep glitter brown in there too. I also gave her one of my sigma 12 eyeshadow palettes, the brilliant and spellbinding one, as Ive never reached for it and been 100% happy with it. So that's 27 eyeshadow colours in two units gone! :)

Sandalskt

30 day lip challenge update: 1. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella - Going 2. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Never say never - Going 3. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine - Going 4. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita - Going 5. YSL Volupte Tint in Oil - Staying 6. Clinique Colour Pop in Nude Pop - Staying 7. Clinique Colour Pop in Sweet Pop - Staying 8. Estee Lauder Pure Shimmer Gloss in Passionfruit - Going 9. Revlon Moisture Stain in Barcelona Nights - Going 10. Revlon Moisture Stain in Shangai Sizzle - Going 11. MAC Lustre in Syrup - Staying 12. Bourjois Rouge Velvet in Personnel de Rouge - Staying 13. Bourjois Rouge Velvet in Nudist - Going Nearly half way through my challenge already! It should be noted that I picked out all new products and products that I wasn't sure about for the first 30 day challenge as the aim is to downsize so I am better off concentrating on things that I wasn't sure about rather than known "loves" Revlon Moisture Stains....I love the idea but struggle to get even application and staying powder, too much hassle for me I think. I hope the Bourjois Aqua Additions don't have a formula like this, but i will find out in the next couple of days when I get round to those. I am testing Velvet Editions in Nudist and Happy New Year tomorrow, I was searching for a good MLBB matte nude colour and these seem to be unloved, which is odd as I love the formula, Nudist is too peach on me and I think Happy New Year is prob too dark on me hence why Nudist is now in the "out" make up bag. I cleared my closet out and went shopping to get the one thing that was missing - black trousers for work! proud that I didn't buy loads of stuff. Trying to embrace a more minimal me, planning on clearing out the book shelf this week for the charity shop if I can summon the courage!
Good job! I am going to find new homes for a few lipsticks. My mom will make out like a bandit. I already have dry lips and a couple of scars because of really bad cold sores so I have to be really picky with lipstick texture. My grams today will get a good lip balm because she is in the hospital and has dry lips :)

nt234

I've been neglecting this thread, but I've been doing a tiny bit better with makeup purchasing, mainly because MAC's February collections have me all kinds of messed up. lol. So far I've bought (last week of March up to now):
- Eye kohl from Mac is Beauty (IGNK)
- ABH lip gloss and single eyeshadow
- Jaclyn Hill palette from Morphe
- Wet N Wild highlighter

My birthday is next week and Sephora's sale opens up to VIB soon so this low-buy will be going out the window from this weekend until MAC's May collections are over...
th_dunno.gif

Audrey C

I'm not buying a lot of makeup right now; I'll pick staples up here and there if I need them or indulge in the odd item I love but the frenzy is gone. I bought the KVD Shade & Light Eye Contour palette yesterday with my 15% discount at Sephora. I wear Monarch a lot. I recently gave away my coloured Inglot palette and have decided to pass on my neutral one to my daughter's friend. I like it but never reach for it.

I love eyeshadows but already have plenty, particularly in the neutral shades. I don't want to hoard, but I still enjoy buying items I really like. My solution is to keep my collection about the same size (although I'm definitely shrinking the number of blush and highlighters I own) by passing on items I'm neutral about to someone who will use them more.

Unlike some here, I vastly prefer larger palettes to single e/s or quads. I only have three singles (two EDES and one larger MAC shadow) and that's only because I can't depot them.

kerry-jane88

just checking in, this morning i got refunded for the half of the mac mia moretti haul i'd sent back two weeks ago, seeing the amount makes me think woah that was a bit mad, i need to cool my jets for a while!

mel33t

Hi guys :wavey: Haven't been around Specktra because things have gotten crazy. Bought a few things here and there, but nothing over budget. For IMATS I managed to stay under budget and try some new brands. The Sephora sale is coming up and I have several things on my list. I'm hoping I don't go crazy. My busy season ends tomorrow and this is the time of year when my shopping spikes. Hopefully I can stay calm.

ellemarie

I had a no-buy going between January and April. It went pretty well! There's a weird monthly sale where the makeup is scratch-and-dent stuff from Ulta at super reduced prices. I made that sale an exception because I was able to stock up on hair stuff and tried a few new brands. I bought a bunch of lipsticks off here recently, but I might do another no-buy until September. There's just so much stuff. Still trying to get rid of my 15-pans like you guys. I just look at them and see so much money wasted, especially on bright colors I was just not going to wear. Oh well. Onward!

DMcG9

I'm not buying a lot of makeup right now; I'll pick staples up here and there if I need them or indulge in the odd item I love but the frenzy is gone. I bought the KVD Shade & Light Eye Contour palette yesterday with my 15% discount at Sephora. I wear Monarch a lot. I recently gave away my coloured Inglot palette and have decided to pass on my neutral one to my daughter's friend. I like it but never reach for it.

I love eyeshadows but already have plenty, particularly in the neutral shades. I don't want to hoard, but I still enjoy buying items I really like. My solution is to keep my collection about the same size (although I'm definitely shrinking the number of blush and highlighters I own) by passing on items I'm neutral about to someone who will use them more.

Unlike some here, I vastly prefer larger palettes to single e/s or quads. I only have three singles (two EDES and one larger MAC shadow) and that's only because I can't depot them.
I prefer the larger palettes too. When I depotted my shadows (and got a helluva lot of B2M packages from the process) it really tidied up my collection, making the colours I have more visible and the actual product more accessible to me (rather than digging through a drawer or box for the colour I want). It's actually really helped me cut down significantly on eye shadow purchases which have always been my number one draw in make up.
With the big palettes in front of me I then pop out the shadows and assemble a smaller palette for travel when I want. I dislike owning too many small ones because I find they just clutter up my space. Right now I have 5 small palettes but one is what I call my swing palette into which I assemble a look when I travel. The others I have purchased over the years but I am going to rotate them into use.