Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

veronikawithak

Wrapping up April!

Makeup purchases
- 2 blushes (summer colors)
- 4 lipsticks (summer colors, replacements for the 2 I wore during the winter season)
- 1 eyeshadow palette (summer colors)
- 1 BB cream (trying out a new brand - to switch up with my powder foundation)
- 1 mascara (replacement)

Current makeup inventory
Foundation: 2 (one BB cream, one loose powder sample)
Eyeshadows: 17 (two palettes)
Eyeshadow primer: 1
Mascara: 1
Lipsticks: 4 (peachy nude, peach, plum rose, dusty rose)
Blushes: 3 (rose, peach, nude)
Contour powder: 1
Total: 29

Also bought some perfume and found some amazing clothing from a designer I recently discovered. Oh and I bought a new handbag for summer as well - a smaller cross-body. Between all of that and running out of most of my skincare and hair care over the past few weeks it was definitely a higher spending month than usual.

There are a couple more makeup items I'd like to try that are coming out this month (not LE, just new products) but other than that I think I'm done my seasonal shopping - fortunately for my bank account!

I've also been doing a bit more decluttering of my wardrobe after figuring out what I've been wearing regularly and adding those new pieces in.

I can't believe it's been 3 months already! Here's what I've been up to:

Makeup purchases
- 2 eyeshadow trios (trying out a new brand)
- 6 eyeshadow singles (trying out a new brand, filling gaps in color range)
- 1 foundation (trying out a new brand)
- 1 eyeshadow primer (replacement)

Decluttered
- 9 eyeshadows (2 years old)
- 1 BB cream (prefer new foundation)
- 1 loose powder foundation sample (prefer new foundation)
- 1 eyeshadow primer (1 year old)
- 5 makeup brushes (underused)

Current makeup inventory
Foundation: 1
Eyeshadows: 20 (1 palette, 2 trios, 6 singles)
Eyeshadow primer: 1
Mascara: 1
Lipsticks: 4 (peachy nude, peach, plum rose, dusty rose)
Blushes: 3 (rose, peach, nude)
Contour powder: 1
Total: 31

Since my last post I also bought a pair of booties for the next season (finally found a pair I liked!) and a couple pairs of sandals for the summer. For the most part I've been sticking to my seasonal shopping and replacing expired products on a regular timeline (1 year for liquids and creams, 2 years for powders). I also found it interesting that I seem to be sticking to a "set point" of around 30 makeup items - I find if I accumulate more than that I start to get overwhelmed. I'd estimate that 80% of the things I bought this year have been worn regularly which is a vast improvement from the way I used to shop! I did have quite a bit of turnover in the eyeshadow category but I realized I didn't have very many matte neutral shades anymore and wanted to fix that.

I'm also interested in the new Bite multisticks but I'll have to see how they wear - I loved their new lipsticks but I'm skeptical of the wear on the eyes especially.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Yay, Veronika! :rocker:

FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer (across nose and forehead)
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose, smile lines)
* MUFE Step 1 - Hydrating Primer (in between brows)
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01
* Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless
* ABH Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium Deep
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* MAC Eyeshadow - Omega (crease)
* Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illuminizing Veil (as an eyeshadow on the lid)
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash Mascara
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin (contour)
* NARS Blush - Sex Appeal
* Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids - Shocking Coral

Alysse011

Weekend FOTD:

Burberry Fresh Glow
MAC F&B in N2
Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher
Anastasia Brow Wiz - Taupe
Anastasia Clear Brow Gel
MAC Costa Riche to lightly line
Chantecaille mascara
Tom Ford Gold Dust bronzer
Cover FX drops in moonlight
Hourglass Mood Light
MAC Siren Song lipstick

So, my self control has been going decently well when it comes to makeup haha. I did purchase the Cover FX illuminating drops in Moonlight, and I adore them. I'm using a very generous sample of Burberry Fresh Glow. So far I really enjoy it and I plan to purchase it during the VIB sale this fall. I almost purchase the MUFE Water Blend foundation, but I decided against it. I already have MAC F&B and enjoy that for every day, and I use Chantecaille Future Skin when I want to look and feel my best. I also had purchase GA Luminous Silk during last fall's VIB sale and I never touch it. I really don't need another foundation. Foundations are my weakest area, but I've found that I can usually satiate myself if I get a sample. I want get MUFE Water Blend until I run out of my MAC, and even then I might just repurchase the MAC. We'll see.

I was tempted by Beauty.com's 20% off sale, but I resisted. I wanted to repurchase the By Terry concealer. I already have the CT though, and it does a nice job. I shouldn't purchase another concealer until I run out, so I'm trying to be good there.

Ive spent the most money this year in skincare related items. I've found a pretty good routine now though, so I'm starting to slow my roll on those purchases. I also hit the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale pretty hard, but I had been saving for that one. Now I need to lay low and be good. I'll just be over here building a VIB Sale wishlist if anyone needs me.

B

Buffy89

Ohhhh, there's a thanks/like button again!!! Thanks to the Specktra team for that. [MENTION=85692]veronikawithak[/MENTION], I admire your achievements and your seasonal shopping approach. You're my low-buy role model, really.

In the last few days, I went on decluttering my nail polishes and I guess I'm still not really done since there are more than a handful of shades I'd like to wear once more to try them, which might leave my collection as well. I also purged quite a lot of dark eyeshadows, especially dark purples/blues/greens, since I don't really look good in them and I honestly own too many of them, especially when I need to "make them work" for me. Also, I chucked out all bright/dark lipsticks except for 2 matte berries (Mac Captive and Deliciously Forbidden) and three shinier magentas/darker pinks (Chanel RCS Viva, Esprit and Emotion). I plan to use them up and stick to one "evening" lipstick in the future. The rest of my lipstick stash now only consists of wearable daytime colors which are effortless in wear and touchups etc. More and more, I think that I've finally found some signature makeup looks, and I enjoy the simplicity behind them (although I might need half an hour for applying them, which is ok - the concept/idea is simple instead of some gimmicky "playing around" or having to make things work for me).
At the moment, one could easily hand me a gift card and I really wouldn't know what to buy. I'd probably stock up on essentials like foundation, but there aren't many things that have caught my interest lately. Even all those Mac collections which used to excite me waaaay to much back then, they simply bore me at the moment. Anyone remember that in my last post, I was takling about my Urban Decay shopping plans in Berlin? Well, I'm not even sure if I still want the items that are on my wish list for that. It's still a month until I'm going on that trip, and I'm curious how my attitude towards makeup shopping will have developed until then.

veronikawithak

Ohhhh, there's a thanks/like button again!!! Thanks to the Specktra team for that. @veronikawithak, I admire your achievements and your seasonal shopping approach. You're my low-buy role model, really.

In the last few days, I went on decluttering my nail polishes and I guess I'm still not really done since there are more than a handful of shades I'd like to wear once more to try them, which might leave my collection as well. I also purged quite a lot of dark eyeshadows, especially dark purples/blues/greens, since I don't really look good in them and I honestly own too many of them, especially when I need to "make them work" for me. Also, I chucked out all bright/dark lipsticks except for 2 matte berries (Mac Captive and Deliciously Forbidden) and three shinier magentas/darker pinks (Chanel RCS Viva, Esprit and Emotion). I plan to use them up and stick to one "evening" lipstick in the future. The rest of my lipstick stash now only consists of wearable daytime colors which are effortless in wear and touchups etc. More and more, I think that I've finally found some signature makeup looks, and I enjoy the simplicity behind them (although I might need half an hour for applying them, which is ok - the concept/idea is simple instead of some gimmicky "playing around" or having to make things work for me).
At the moment, one could easily hand me a gift card and I really wouldn't know what to buy. I'd probably stock up on essentials like foundation, but there aren't many things that have caught my interest lately. Even all those Mac collections which used to excite me waaaay to much back then, they simply bore me at the moment. Anyone remember that in my last post, I was takling about my Urban Decay shopping plans in Berlin? Well, I'm not even sure if I still want the items that are on my wish list for that. It's still a month until I'm going on that trip, and I'm curious how my attitude towards makeup shopping will have developed until then.

Oooh a like button!

Thanks for saying that! I've been at this for 4 years now so if I hadn't made some significant progress I'd be in serious trouble.. :)

Congrats on your progress in destashing! "Making it work" is no longer part of my vocabulary - I've noticed that if it's not reasonably easy, I just won't wear it and that's a waste for me. Amazing how things fall off the wish list once the novelty wears off a bit eh? Keep us updated on how your trip goes!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Day-after-birthday FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil - Ash
* MAC Paint Pot - Tailor Grey
* MAC Eyeshadow - Omega (above crease. I also mixed this with Copperplate to contour.)
* UD Eyeshadow - Verve (from Naked 2; central lid highlight, inner corner highlight, cheek and cupid's bow highlight)
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash
* NARS Blush - mix of Sex Fantasy and Sex Appeal
* MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

I originally went with NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella for a lip colour but decided against it last second.

B

Buffy89

* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* MAC Eyeshadow - Omega (above crease. I also mixed this with Copperplate to contour.)
* UD Eyeshadow - Verve (from Naked 2; central lid highlight, inner corner highlight, cheek and cupid's bow highlight)

I originally went with NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella for a lip colour but decided against it last second.

Happy belated birthday!!! :birthday: I hope you had a great day.
I always enjoy your FOTDs and I'm working on using up my Feed The Senses as well. It's interesting to see that you're frequently using yours and it simply doesn't get empty since I'm always a bit afraid that I'll be quite sad once I'll have finished mine. Looks like I needn't shy away from using it.
This week, I slipped up a tiny little bit...and there goes my no-buy until September. At the moment, lots of new drugtore lines are released here and brands like Essence or Catrice exchange literally half of their perm line every 6 months. So...I picked up a dark red nail polish and a matte rosewood pink lipstick from Catrice, plus a setting powder from Essence. The bad thing is, the only really useful item is the powder, since I'm panning those quite often, but the lipstick and polish were pure "fun" items. The good thing is, I paid less than 10 € for all items together and I do really enjoy them. I'm a bit mad at myself because of my weak willpower, though. But on the other hand, I got my real struggle, Mac collections, totally under control at the moment and probably won't be interested in anything until the holiday collection will be released.

fur4elise

* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205

animated-emoticon-with-french-accent.png
Happy (Belated) Birthday Gorgeous! Here's to another year of all things beautiful!!!

Alysse011

* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205 + my SPF for a tinted moisturizer
* Hourglass Arch Brow Sculping Pencil - Ash
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Moondust
* MAC Eyeshadows - mix of Omega and Copperplate
* NARS Blush - Sex Appeal
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

shellygrrl

Staff member
Did a bit of purging and setting aside for Back 2 MAC this past week. :cool:

FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Prestige True Khol Kajal - Matte Black (base, blended out)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Sumptuous Olive (lid)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Hipster (crease)
* Sephora Contour Eye Pencil - Black Lace
* MAC Blush - Taupe (bronzer placement)
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

Last edited:

Alysse011

Hello all! I am announcing my official no buy from September until November! Of course there are a couple caveats. I will repurchase skin care items as needed. I have an oil, serum, and moisturizer that look like they'll run out pretty soon. I do have a Sephora gift card that should help with that. My daytime moisturizer has been discontinued so I am also on the search for a new one. I just got a sample of a Laura Mercier one today, so here's to hoping. Also, my bday is in September. That means I'll have a discount code at Ulta. Instead of a "fun" purchase, I plan to use it during 21 days of beauty on the day Clarisonic brush heads are BOGO. I feel like that's a wise choice. My no buy will include clothes/shoes/etc too. I was able to purchase some nice fall things during the Nordstrom sale last month. So, while that will be an area of temptation, there truly are zero needs.

It has been a while since I did a no-buy like this. I'm about to move into a house with my boyfriend, so I want to save for those expenses. I also just want a bit of a re-set. I have done well with my low-buy goals since I started this a couple years ago, but the past couple months I've been making a lot of purchases. I usually just stick to some kind of budget. So this will be interesting haha. It shouldn't be awful though. I remember back before I was into makeup and clothes, I easily went months with no purchases. If only that were still my life haha. But that's fine. Everything in moderation.

Now for a FOTD:
Base - Cover FX Enhancer drops in Moonlight mixed with Sensai Cream Foundation in Natural Beige
Concealer - Becca Corrector. By Terry Terrybly Densillis in Fresh Fair. Also found a use for an unloved cream foundation (Gerda Spillmann) - spot concealing.
highlighter/blush/bronzer - Hourglass Illume trio
Brows - Suqqu Brow Pen in Moss Green
Eyes- UD primer potion, Lorac Unzipped palette, Chantecaille mascara, Bobbi Brown chocolate shimmer ink gel liner
Lips - YSL tint in oil in I Rose You

fur4elise

:scram:
:hide:
:icon_study:
:type:

Runs in...Hides behind sofa...Reads everyone's awesome no/low buy posts...Posts shame and sin...Runs back out!

I have been atrocious the entire month of August! Suffice to say...pretty things make funky sh*t at home not seem so bad!

I never ever, ever thought I would spend enough money to become VIB Rouge...seriously!? Where did that 1K go since January!?!
And that does not even include the skin care, hair products, beauty basics, etc. purchased elsewhere. Yeah. I not so happy with my wallet.

BUT I have had no regret purchases, only one impulse buy (the Marc Jacobs palette...I know Shelly!
:blush: No More Palettes!!!), no new cc debt (that's a biggie!) and I have been enjoying what I have purchased.

So...I guess it's time to put myself on a no buy for a bit. However my birthday is next week and I do have one LE thing on my list...the Taraji x MAC MSF collection which is released on September 6th. So after that, I am on lock-down until the big Sephora sale...and that list is still pretty small right now.

I do hope everyone is happy, healthy and enjoying all things pretty! I'm hoping your posts will inspire me to scale it back! ;) Peace! x0x0x

Alysse011

:hide:
:icon_study:
:type:

Runs in...Hides behind sofa...Reads everyone's awesome no/low buy posts...Posts shame and sin...Runs back out!

I have been atrocious the entire month of August! Suffice to say...pretty things make funky sh*t at home not seem so bad!

I never ever, ever thought I would spend enough money to become VIB Rouge...seriously!? Where did that 1K go since January!?!
And that does not even include the skin care, hair products, beauty basics, etc. purchased elsewhere. Yeah. I not so happy with my wallet.

BUT I have had no regret purchases, only one impulse buy (the Marc Jacobs palette...I know Shelly!
:blush: No More Palettes!!!), no new cc debt (that's a biggie!) and I have been enjoying what I have purchased.

So...I guess it's time to put myself on a no buy for a bit. However my birthday is next week and I do have one LE thing on my list...the Taraji x MAC MSF collection which is released on September 6th. So after that, I am on lock-down until the big Sephora sale...and that list is still pretty small right now.

I do hope everyone is happy, healthy and enjoying all things pretty! I'm hoping your posts will inspire me to scale it back! ;) Peace! x0x0x

Yay! We can be no buying together! I have a decent sized VIB sale list. It is mostly repurchases though, so that's good.

lenchen

Hi Everyone,
i've been lurking in this thread of late. I want to say everyone is doing an amazing job on your no-buy resolutions. For the past 3 years i've been on a low buy journey. I had 2 organizers from acrylic concepts full of make-up, I've decluttered, and got rid of a lot of loose pigments, lipsticks, blushers, highlighters that I bought just because and now everything fits in one make-up organizer. i've only purchased 3 mascaras( i throw them out every 2-3 months). I plan on purchasing 2 of the becca highlighters poured version, and the final 7 face brushes on my wish list. I used to have VIB status, I no longer have that status at sephora.

Attachments

• Makeup storage.jpg
    Makeup storage.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Alysse011

Hi Everyone,
i've been lurking in this thread of late. I want to say everyone is doing an amazing job on your no-buy resolutions. For the past 3 years i've been on a low buy journey. I had 2 organizers from acrylic concepts full of make-up, I've decluttered, and got rid of a lot of loose pigments, lipsticks, blushers, highlighters that I bought just because and now everything fits in one make-up organizer. i've only purchased 3 mascaras( i throw them out every 2-3 months). I plan on purchasing 2 of the becca highlighters poured version, and the final 7 face brushes on my wish list. I used to have VIB status, I no longer have that status at sephora.

No more VIB status! That's awesome. I haven't become Rouge yet this year, but unfortunately I'm not far away. It'll probably happen after the VIB sale in the fall. Next year though I'm determined to not be Rouge haha.

fur4elise

Yay! We can be no buying together! I have a decent sized VIB sale list. It is mostly repurchases though, so that's good.
No Buy Buddies! :tee: Until the Sephora sale! Pinky Swear!

Hi Everyone,
i've been lurking in this thread of late. I want to say everyone is doing an amazing job on your no-buy resolutions. For the past 3 years i've been on a low buy journey. I had 2 organizers from acrylic concepts full of make-up, I've de-cluttered, and got rid of a lot of loose pigments, lipsticks, blushers, highlighters that I bought just because and now everything fits in one make-up organizer. i've only purchased 3 mascaras( i throw them out every 2-3 months). I plan on purchasing 2 of the becca highlighters poured version, and the final 7 face brushes on my wish list. I used to have VIB status, I no longer have that status at sephora.

Congrats to you on really editing your beauty stash!
:five: I dekraapifed a whole lotta stuff at the beginning of the year, but still have a pretty good sized stash...Just don't think I could truly edit it down like you, so kudos! The only thing I do not have too much of is mascara! Like you I am throwing out tubes every 2-3 months because I wear contact lenses! I discovered the joy of the small or mini mascaras! They are the perfect size and amount for the 2-3 month window of time! ;)

B

Buffy89

Wow, so many new posts in the last few days. I hope everybody's doing fine, and congrats on all things everyone has achieved. I'm doing okayish. I'm still not interested in any Mac LE stuff until now, but I'm kinda afraid this might change when the holiday collection is gonna leak. But hey, I did skip last year's holiday collection completely, so maybe I can do it this year, too (or maybe I simply won't like any of the colors). Plus, I'm also not interested in any other holiday collection by any brand I've seen so far.
For my short vacation trip next week, I plan to have a budget of around 40-50 Euros for makeup, which means 2 items. I'm planning to have a look at Urban Decay stuff because I got no counter around where I live, but I don't really know what I'll pick yet.
Nyx has finally come to German drugstores and everybody's going crazy. At my local store, everything has been sold out for about two weeks. To be honest, I did buy some items too, but I'm lucky that they're more affordable than the price range I usually shop. I bought a concealer because I was running low on undereye concealer (which works great for me so that I guess I won't "need" my more expensive Mac concealer any more), one of the full throttle quads, a prismatic shadow, a lip lingerie, a butter gloss and two lip liners. :hide: (this little guy seems too appropriate now!). These weren't impulse purchases since I did my research and read reviews first. Now, I really need to stop. But while I never really enjoyed most drugstore brands (we don't have a lot of fun brands here and drugstore items can be a bit...boring here in my opinion), I really love these items now. Maybe I've found a good alternative for always purchasing mid/high range stuff when I want "trendy" makeup. For example, the eyeshadows I bought are my very own substitue for the ABH modern rennaissance palette which I wanted quite bad, but didn't want to spend 55 Euros on, and the cardboard packaging irks me to be honest. The Nyx colors I picked up suit my complexion a lot better, but still let me create reddish/pink/warm toned eye looks. All this made me see once more that wearing god makeup / being good at makeup doesn't depend on a very certain original product, but on the overall effect. Nobody's gonna look at my makeup on the street and think "oh, that must be modern renaissance/Whirl liner/one of those weird hyped Kylie kits" etc.
But still, it seems like a huge haul to me and I cannot remember the last time I purchased so many items at once! Moneywise, it's really not as horrible, but it gives me full awareness that I added so many new items to my kit.
On the other hand, I'm quite good at using things up/panning at the moment! I created a list on my phone of 16 items I want to finish until the end of 2016, and I'm thrilled to see my progress.

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent setting Powder - Colorless
* Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown
* Victoria's Secret Eyeshadow - Bunny (base colour)
* MAC Eyeshadows - mix of Malt and Copperplate (crease)
* UD Eyeshadow - Verve (from Naked 2; lid)
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin
* NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Rikugien

Latest posts