Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

Alysse011

Birthday dinner FOTD:

-Becca Backlight primer sample
-mix of Sensai Cream foundation and Koh Gen Do illuminator in beige
-CT The Retoucher under eyes and around nose
- Suqqu brow pen
-UD primer potion
-TF Honeymoon quad on eyes. I used the lightest color in the middle of my lid and the coppery color on inner and outer corners and under lower lash line. I used a couple of shades from my Viseart Neutral Mattes palette in the crease.
-Bobbi Brown Chocolate Shimmer Ink liner with the darkest aubergine shade from TF Honeymoon on top of it
-MAC Costa Riche on tightline and Waterline
-Tarteist Lash Paint mascara
-Kevyn Aucoin cream contour
-TF bronzer in Gold Dust
-Becca blush in Snapdragon
-Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight to highlight
-Chanel Boy on lips

Day 7 of no buy and no big deal so far (which is good haha. I would be in trouble if I were already struggling). I talked myself out of buying anything during the beauty.com sale. Actually, in the FOTD above, I originally used my Ellis Faas foundation and washed it off haha. Seriously, nothing compares to my Kanebo foundation. I don't know why I ever stopped using it.

I do plan to go with my mom to the Sephora Holiday event this Saturday. I'm sure I'll end up with something just from shopping with her, but I won't be too mad at myself since its with her and for my bday. She is driving 7 hours to hang out with me after all! I've talked myself out of the Hourglass holiday palette though, so that's good!

Alysse011

Last night's face -

-LM Bronze Radiance primer
-Kanebo Sensai Cream foundation
-CT The Retoucher concealer
-Suqqi Brow Pen
-UD Primer Potion
-Chanel New Moon on middle of lid, CT Bronzed Garnet on outer corner and inner area of lid and smudged along lower lash line
-Bobbi Brown chocolate shimmer ink gel liner on top and bottom lash line, Marc Jacobs rococoa to tight line and waterline
-sample of Armani Eccentrico mascara (amaaaaaazing)
-cream Kevyn Aucoin contour
-tom ford gold dust bronzer
-discontinued Armani blush in #10
-Kevyn Aucoin candlelight highlighter
-MAC Siren Song lipstick

UngracefulCat

New User
I totally need to join this thread. I am officially putting myself on a no-buy for drugstore products because frankly I am always disappointed and reach for my higher end stuff anyway. Actually, I really need to be on a no-buy for everything... except for lip products. I could never be on a no-buy for lip products, but a low-buy sounds good to me. My other goal for this year is to not re-VIB again.

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01
* Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
* Cinema Secrets Ultralucent Setting Powder - Colorless
* Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown (I am still surprised I've not hit pan on the left-hand colour, and it's had a massive dent in it for a looooong time!)
* hair spray + spoolie (to set brows)
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* MAC Eyeshadow - Copperplate (transitionish shade)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Indian Ink (lid)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Unexpected (crease)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Typographic (lashlines)
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash
* NARS Blush - Sex Appeal
* NYX Slim Lip Pencil - Pale Pink
* MAC Lipstick - mix of Blankety and Feed the Senses (status on the latter: about half a tube or so remains. And this is the first time I've used it in a while! Blankety's been getting a ton of love from me lately.)

B

Buffy89

Hey everybody, how are you doing? I'm back from my Berlin vacation trip and I'm really happy about the results, makeup-wise. I repurchased the Mac Full Coverage Foundation at the Pro Store (it's always out of stock online) and had enough empties to pick three eyeshadows in B2M (picked Vex, Coppering and Satin Taupe). I purchased two items at the Urban Decay Counter (Solstice eyeshadow and Peyote liptick), and I would have liked to have more, but I stuck to the limit of two items I had set up for myself. The last makeup item I bought was a jar of Dermacolor camouflage cream at the Kryolan store. My acne is really bad at the moment and I've heard so many good things about this stuff, but I was never able to order one because the shade range is overwhelming. The shop assistant was super friendly and tried various shades to match my face, it was such a good experience, although I didn't splurge on other items. At the store, they sell theatrical makeup products for MUAs which are manufactured at their own factory, so there's no fancy packaging or glamourous ads. Just the products in boring white jars/compacts. And although the products are high quality, everything seemed sooo unattractive to me and I didn't feel the urge to try/buy anything else. This really inspired me to perceive my makeup products from another, fresh point of view, to look at the function, quality and color rather than giving in to marketing and such. Maybe, when I'm craving a new item next time, I should ask myself if I really needed this if my stash was not personal, but a professional kit to be used on others - like, do I really need a light coral blush when I own a dark coral blush and two peachy blushes? The effect on the face will be absolutely the same. Thinking this way, I may have a clearer view on the function of items and might be less influenced by emotional factors.

Alysse011

Hey everybody, how are you doing? I'm back from my Berlin vacation trip and I'm really happy about the results, makeup-wise. I repurchased the Mac Full Coverage Foundation at the Pro Store (it's always out of stock online) and had enough empties to pick three eyeshadows in B2M (picked Vex, Coppering and Satin Taupe). I purchased two items at the Urban Decay Counter (Solstice eyeshadow and Peyote liptick), and I would have liked to have more, but I stuck to the limit of two items I had set up for myself. The last makeup item I bought was a jar of Dermacolor camouflage cream at the Kryolan store. My acne is really bad at the moment and I've heard so many good things about this stuff, but I was never able to order one because the shade range is overwhelming. The shop assistant was super friendly and tried various shades to match my face, it was such a good experience, although I didn't splurge on other items. At the store, they sell theatrical makeup products for MUAs which are manufactured at their own factory, so there's no fancy packaging or glamourous ads. Just the products in boring white jars/compacts. And although the products are high quality, everything seemed sooo unattractive to me and I didn't feel the urge to try/buy anything else. This really inspired me to perceive my makeup products from another, fresh point of view, to look at the function, quality and color rather than giving in to marketing and such. Maybe, when I'm craving a new item next time, I should ask myself if I really needed this if my stash was not personal, but a professional kit to be used on others - like, do I really need a light coral blush when I own a dark coral blush and two peachy blushes? The effect on the face will be absolutely the same. Thinking this way, I may have a clearer view on the function of items and might be less influenced by emotional factors.

You're so correct about considering the difference in how you would feel about a product in plain packaging vs pretty/fancy packaging. Congratulations on your self control while on vacation! It's always nice when the shop assistant is helpful too! It makes everything more fun.

Alysse011

Well, I have movers coming next week, so I've spent a lot of time today getting stuff together. I have a big donation pile going for clothes too. I cleaned out a lot of makeup last year, but my closet was definitely due.

I did go to the Sephora event with my mom, and we had a really good time. I'm pleased to have made it out with only a couple items and, most importantly, I didn't order the holiday Hourglass palette online! My FOMO on that palette is shrinking by the day. I also got a sample of the NARS light optimizing primer, tried on a few YSL oil in stick lippies, switched some Marc Jacobs airblushes, looked at a couple foundations, etc. but all of that can wait for the November sale.

I had signed up for a restock notification for the Juvia's Place Nubian palette and got an email last night that it was in stock. I almost bought it, but did a little more research online first. Im glad I did, because I came across a blog that listed MAC, MUG, etc dupes for the shades. So, I didn't buy that palette.

I also went to Ulta yesterday after work to get the BOGO clarisonic brush head deal. The sales associate told me I was allowed to get two (so four total), so I did take advantage of that. Now I'm set for a year! I also used my $10 bday discount. Unfortunately, the ulta I went to was out of the bday gift, Midnight Cowboy. I'll probably go to the ulta by my house to see if they have it soon.

Otherwise, no purchases. I've deleted all the bday gift emails from various retailers so no clothes/shoes/etc. I did get a couple wardrobe pieces and a lippie I wanted for my bday but nothing from my own dime. Anyway, just a mid month check in. I'm sure I'll be more tempted as more holiday items come out. So far the only thing I want are the holiday meteorites.

shellygrrl

Staff member

Well done! :wootrock:

Well, I have movers coming next week, so I've spent a lot of time today getting stuff together. I have a big donation pile going for clothes too. I cleaned out a lot of makeup last year, but my closet was definitely due.

I did go to the Sephora event with my mom, and we had a really good time. I'm pleased to have made it out with only a couple items and, most importantly, I didn't order the holiday Hourglass palette online! My FOMO on that palette is shrinking by the day. I also got a sample of the NARS light optimizing primer, tried on a few YSL oil in stick lippies, switched some Marc Jacobs airblushes, looked at a couple foundations, etc. but all of that can wait for the November sale.

I had signed up for a restock notification for the Juvia's Place Nubian palette and got an email last night that it was in stock. I almost bought it, but did a little more research online first. Im glad I did, because I came across a blog that listed MAC, MUG, etc dupes for the shades. So, I didn't buy that palette.

I also went to Ulta yesterday after work to get the BOGO clarisonic brush head deal. The sales associate told me I was allowed to get two (so four total), so I did take advantage of that. Now I'm set for a year! I also used my $10 bday discount. Unfortunately, the ulta I went to was out of the bday gift, Midnight Cowboy. I'll probably go to the ulta by my house to see if they have it soon.

Otherwise, no purchases. I've deleted all the bday gift emails from various retailers so no clothes/shoes/etc. I did get a couple wardrobe pieces and a lippie I wanted for my bday but nothing from my own dime. Anyway, just a mid month check in. I'm sure I'll be more tempted as more holiday items come out. So far the only thing I want are the holiday meteorites.

More yayness! :rocker:

Today's FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* MUFE Step 1 - Hydrating Primer (in between brows)
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium/Deep (will be purging this and getting a new brow gel soonish)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Copperplate (crease)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Glass Slipper (lid)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Typographic (lashline)
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash Mascara
* NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy
* NYX Slim Lip Pencil - Pale Pink (to pale down my lips)
* NARS Satin Lip Pencil - Rikugien

lenchen

I totally need to join this thread. I am officially putting myself on a no-buy for drugstore products because frankly I am always disappointed and reach for my higher end stuff anyway. Actually, I really need to be on a no-buy for everything... except for lip products. I could never be on a no-buy for lip products, but a low-buy sounds good to me. My other goal for this year is to not re-VIB again.

Great Goal! Welcome!

jennyap

I picked up two items from the MAC Star Trek collection - a lipstick and a gloss. I'm not supposed to be buying any gloss, so that was a bit of slip, but it's soooo pretty!

However I cleared out my old stash of Lancôme Juicy Tubes - I went through a phase when these were all I wore on my lips, and I amassed sizeable collection. The one I still had left (about 15) were mostly rancid - didn't even bother testing them all as they're so old. Time to let go and move on from that stage of my life.

PS anyone else having trouble typing their posts on this site? It seems really laggy and misses out half the letters unless I go really slow - no issues on any other sites so it's not my keyboard.

Alysse011

I've had no issues typing, but I almost always post from mobile or iPad.

Congrats on the clean out! I always feel better after getting rid of stuff!

fur4elise

@jennyap @UngracefulCat @Alysse011 @Buffy89

I feel I can actually pop my disgraceful face in here after a just over 2 week no buy! My last purchase was the LM highlighting palette on Sept 10th!

Great work ladies! It sure does feel good to dispose of stuff long overdue...it does lighten the load! I too deleted all my birthday "spend your money because we are giving you a coupon!" emails too! Not a one used! It feels good to not jump on every new thing coming out. I have been shopping my stash!

BUT danger is seriously lurking around every corner...Selena x MAC...the excitement in that thread is giving me the FOMO feels. KVD just released the metal/matte palette!

@shellygrrl ~ Say it with me: "No More Eye Shadow Palettes!" Oi Vay...and I have a serious jones for several high end edited e/s palettes...I guess I truly am a makeup junkie!

That being said, I have been able to edit my lust list to just a few things...and I will wait until there is a sale or code before I do splurge. Sigh...but the struggle is real, the struggle is real! LOL!

Have a great week ladies!
:)

jennyap

BUT danger is seriously lurking around every corner...Selena x MAC...the excitement in that thread is giving me the FOMO feels. KVD just released the metal/matte palette!

@shellygrrl ~ Say it with me: "No More Eye Shadow Palettes!" Oi Vay...and I have a serious jones for several high end edited e/s palettes...I guess I truly am a makeup junkie!

Re Selena, I really like @Buffy89's insight above - would you still want it if it was in plain functional packaging?

Palettes - I've got probably too many. I don't particularly feel the need to purge, but anything new would have to be exceptional to make it into my collection. If I can dupe it from my existing stash - even if that means looking across several palettes - it's a no. In fact even if I can dupe a single shade it's likely to be a no. I prefer to buy singles these days, that way I know I'm getting exactly what I'm missing and nothing more.

Stay strong, you can do it!!

Alysse011

That's such a good point about the packaging. It helped me talk myself out of the Hourglass Surreal palette!

I ended up returning that YSL highlighter I bought during the Sephora event. It's so beautiful, and the texture truly is amazing, but I already own and love Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight and Tom Ford Moodlight. The YSL just wasn't filling any hole and would have gone unloved. Before anyone thinks I'm doing super well though, I do have to say that I bought the Guerlain meteorites. They were a planned purchase. I didn't think they would be released until October though! I was able to talk myself out of any other items in the collection, even though the lippie has me drooling. I ordered from Nordies during triple points, but delivery isn't until next Monday! First world problems.

In other news - I have accepted a new job AND over the weekend my boyfriend and I moved into a house together. Lots of (exciting) changes! I'm so excited about the move! Also very happy for the about the job.

Has anyone started thinking about the VIB sale or Ulta'a 20% off? I'm trying to plan wisely.

shellygrrl

Staff member
PS anyone else having trouble typing their posts on this site? It seems really laggy and misses out half the letters unless I go really slow - no issues on any other sites so it's not my keyboard.

No issues here -- not on my laptop or my tablet. Maybe it's a browser thing, not a site thing, for you?

Great work ladies! It sure does feel good to dispose of stuff long overdue...it does lighten the load! I too deleted all my birthday "spend your money because we are giving you a coupon!" emails too! Not a one used! It feels good to not jump on every new thing coming out. I have been shopping my stash!

That being said, I have been able to edit my lust list to just a few things...and I will wait until there is a sale or code before I do splurge. Sigh...but the struggle is real, the struggle is real! LOL!

Have a great week ladies!
:)

No more eyeshadow palettes for you, Elise! NONE!

yMaLDA976YtUs.gif

On the upside, yay for you shopping your stash and resisting the birthday codes/sales!

I ended up returning that YSL highlighter I bought during the Sephora event. It's so beautiful, and the texture truly is amazing, but I already own and love Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight and Tom Ford Moodlight. The YSL just wasn't filling any hole and would have gone unloved. Before anyone thinks I'm doing super well though, I do have to say that I bought the Guerlain meteorites. They were a planned purchase. I didn't think they would be released until October though! I was able to talk myself out of any other items in the collection, even though the lippie has me drooling. I ordered from Nordies during triple points, but delivery isn't until next Monday! First world problems.

In other news - I have accepted a new job AND over the weekend my boyfriend and I moved into a house together. Lots of (exciting) changes! I'm so excited about the move! Also very happy for the about the job.

Yayness all around! Even if you did buy the Meteorites, it's still good that: 1) you planned it in advance, and 2) you stuck to just those. So, IMO, not a total loss!

Has anyone started thinking about the VIB sale or Ulta'a 20% off? I'm trying to plan wisely.

I've not really started thinking about either/or. I know I'll need to replenish my moisturizer soon, but that's about it, I think?

Talking of purchases, I went on a short vacation last week. I did visit a CCO/CCS and look at and swatch a few things (mostly base products), but nothing was purchased in regards to makeup. :rocker:

Last night I ordered some Shiseido cotton squares (I'm down to the last column of my current pack so need to replenish) and some Coola sunscreen to replace my Algenist one (the one from Algenist has alcohol denat in it, and while I'm not allergic to it, it's not an ingredient I want in my skincare) from Nordstrom. I also ordered a cleansing balm from Lookfantastic. September's looking to be a no-buy month for me with regards to makeup.

ETA: Forgot I also got a sample of MAC Strobe Cream from Nordies.

Last edited:

Alysse011

FOTD

-LM Radiance Bronze primer - I have a sample size of this that I've been using off an on the past month. I love it. Especially since I don't self tan my face
- Sensai Cellular Performance cream foundation mixed with KGD Aqua illuminator in Beige (really going for that GLOW today because I'm sad that summer is over)
- By Terry Terrybly Densillis concealer
- Anastasia dip brow pomade
- Eyes: UD primer potion, MUG foiled shadow in grandstand mixed with MAC naked lunch on the lid, Mac Swiss chocolate in crease, Mac nylon on inner corner, Bobbi Brown chocolate shimmer ink to line
- Armani eccentrico mascara
- Hourglass cream trio - I used all three shades
- By Terry hyaluronic powder sample to set under my eyes. This stuff is so incredible under the eyes
-KA candlelight highlight for some extra oomph
- Lancome Pale Lip lippie

Since I'm on this no buy I have been breaking out my GWP and sample size products. Some have been a real bust, but I am really enjoying the LM Radiance bronze primer and the by Terry hyaluronic powder!

i got a sample of the By Terry hyaluronic powder a while back and I've been trying it a few different ways. I'm not really a powder girl since I have dry skin and typically don't want to alter the finish of my foundation. I've read about a few ways to use this. I tried it under my foundation in the T zone. A lot of reviewers swear by using it that way, but I wasn't a fan. It's fine as a setting powder, but again I don't really feel the need to set my foundation. Especially now that it's cooler out. However, under the eyes this stuff is magic! It really makes that area look so smooth and helps prolong my concealer. Also, since I only use it under my eyes, this sample should last me a pretty long time.

In other news, I returned my Guerlain balls. They came very crushed. I considered exchanging them, but my local stores don't have them and the excitement is gone for me. I don't feel like going through the hassle, so they went back to Nordies yesterday.

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer (across forehead and in crevices of the nose)
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer (across nose)
* MUFE Ultra HD - Y205
* Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil - Ash
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Sensuous
* Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash
* NARS Blush - Sex Appeal
* MAC Strobe Cream (used on top of cheekbones only)
* MAC Lipstick - Blankety

I think it may be the way I applied it (a light layer on top of foundation), but Strobe Cream isn't as high impact as for some reason I thought it would be. Hrm. I'm also going to try mixing it in with my foundation.

shellygrrl

Staff member
A stash update I forgot to mention a couple of weeks ago: the [censored] pigments are out of my life! :rocker:

FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* mix of MUFE Ultra HD - Y205 + MAC Strobe Cream (definitely prefer mixing this in! It does make the foundation slightly thicker in consistency, though.)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Copperplate (both on the eyes and as a contour)
* MAC Pro Beyond Twisted Lash Mascara
* NARS Blush - Sex Fantasy
* MAC Mattene - Personal Pick
* MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses (as a topper of sorts)

jennyap

I like the sound of that lip combo [MENTION=65477]shellygrrl[/MENTION], might have to try that one out.

Latest posts