Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

Alysse011

Something else I've found really helpful for no buys in particular (since they can be quite restrictive) is to think about it like prioritizing. Instead of "I can't buy ______ (makeup)" - I think about it like "I could buy ______, but I would rather spend that money on _______ (travel, being debt free, building savings, retirement planning, etc)."

You got this! :)

I've been using this and it has been working! Thank you!!

Alysse011

^^^^^omg! :rotfl: The timing on this (Natasha Denona palettes anyone?!) is perfect! I mean perfect!!! I happened across her 3rd anti-haul video completely be accident! Which in turn reminded me you posted links about anti-haul videos, which made me come back here and confirm it was the same person. I need to watch the other 2 now! ;)

i watched all of the anti-haul videos yesterday and today and they are so good! I was laughing out loud at certain points. I feel like I can hear "You don't need it!" ringing through my ears now lol

fur4elise

i watched all of the anti-haul videos yesterday and today and they are so good! I was laughing out loud at certain points. I feel like I can hear "You don't need it!" ringing through my ears now lol

^^^^^OMG! I know, right!?!
"You don't need this! You won't use this! You already have this! Why?!?..."
Sometimes a makeup junkie just needs to hear this, often! Kimberly definitely is a junkie too, but she does what I call the "editorial edit" long before she actually buys a product. Love it!

She kept me from spending a ton of money this past week!!! Now I need to get through this weekend...I am going to Sephora (2 dif) after work today to do some super swatch sessions. I will take pictures!

fur4elise

ooooo what all are you going to swatch?

^^^^^The list is long...May the swatch force be with me! Ready?!?:

If available - Bite Lippies - Sake, Sorbet, Gingersnap, Sweet Cream, Gin Fizz, Kinchi,
Pickled Ginger (I literally just typed pickled pig! And laughed out loud...too loudly at my desk at work!
:rotfl:),
Dragonfruit & Eggplant. I am really drawn to colors I do not have...plus this will be my first foray back into trying lipsticks.

UD Gwen Stefani - Firebird. The virtual artist tool selected out a couple Burberry Kisses colors. I was shocked. So I will see if they are in store.

Lancome - Hello Happiness & Paris Please

I'm still working on my "face game" too, so:

Clinique Cheek Pops - Ginger, Peach & Melon.

I have a couple Benefit colors I really like, so I want to see if Hervana & Rockateur are in store.

And maybe the Lancome My Parisian Pastels palette. It reminds me of a lovely high end candy box. Very pretty but may not be practical for my NC 40-45 skin tone.

I think the actual swatching & taking pics will help me do a better job of the "edit" and keep my from spending too much on things I will not use! Plus its fun to play with all the pretty stuffs. I may buy a couple things in store and then to save $ a little wait & purchase online later.

Wish me luck! ;)

shellygrrl

Staff member
Finally, a FOTD after a week with none. (I was getting over a cold last week. Feeling much better now.)

* MUFE Step 1 - mix of Mattifying Primer and Hydrating Primer across the t-zone
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer across the nose
* MUFE Ultra HD Foundation - mix of Y205 and 117/Y225
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 (undereyes)
* Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer - SX03 (spot concealer; I recently got samples of this shade and SX01 and SX02)
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium/Deep
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny (all over lid)
* MAC Eyeshadow - Copperplate (crease)
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadows - mix of Envy nd Glass Slipper (lashline)
* Josie Maran Argan Infinity Lip and Cheek Cream Oil - Everlasting Honey (lips only)

jennyap

Hi ladies, I've barely posted in this thread but I am still reading and being impressed by everyone :)

I've had nothing much to say because I've bought zero makeup this year, so the ultra low buy is going very well. In fact I just checked and my last makeup purchase was late October. That has got to be a record for me!

It hasn't been painful at all - there have been a couple of things that caught my eye, particularly the Dior highlighter (the pink flowery one, I forget the proper name) but nothing that I felt I couldn't live without.

Flamingo Park comes out in stores here this week, so I am going to swatch Have Your Cake lipstick. It's exactly my kind of colour, which means I probably have enough close dupes that I don't really need it, but I won't rule it out until I see it for myself. I was interested in one or two of the blushes but they haven't been released here so that makes it easier.

The low-buy philosophy has really spread to the rest of my life. We're going a slow but thorough purge of our whole house (I got rid of books, for the first time ever!) and I'm really thinking about anything new we bring in. My aim is a net reduction of 2016 items in 2016 (not counting consumables which are used up).

(I was getting over a cold last week. Feeling much better now.)

Glad you're feeling better!

VAL4M

i'm happy to see that Kimberly Clark was a hit. :) I'm sure she will keep doing those Anti-Haul video they look really popular and yes of course she told us to not buy the Natasha Denona palette it is one of the most talk about palette in 2016!

B

Buffy89

@jennyap, oh wow, that's impressive! No makeup since October! I've decluttered some books myself and as a total book person who's always been taught that one cannot have enough books, it felt weird. I was able to sell some textbooks I don't need any more, and I gifted some novels to a friend who's a book lover as well. I don't miss a single book and I'm happy that other people enjoy them.
Flamingo Park will be at my counter tomorrow, and there's plenty of items I like. During the last weeks, I've set aside money for two products, but although I like most things and could imagine enjoying them in my kit, I'm not as thrilled as with former Mac collections. Hopefully, this will help me make wise choices.
Im February, the only makeup items I purchased were a powder (hit pan on my Mac Blot powder but didn't repurchase it, but went for a drugstore one which is a lot cheaper but actually great, like 23 vs 4 €) and Mac Cranberry eyeshadow (refill pan version) which I've wanted for months. I've also hit pan on two of my Naked 2 shadows and it feels great to see my products used.

Alysse011

@jenny & @buffy it sounds like y'all are doing well! Seems like more maintaining now. That's awesome!

@val4m I really liked the Natasha Denona portion of the anti-haul. The points made are just so good! It's true (for me personally) that I would NEVER hit pan on those shades, so the argument that it's a good value for the amount you get is irrelevant. Love that logic.

fur4elise

@jenny & @buffy it sounds like y'all are doing well! Seems like more maintaining now. That's awesome!

@val4m I really liked the Natasha Denona portion of the anti-haul. The points made are just so good! It's true (for me personally) that I would NEVER hit pan on those shades, so the argument that it's a good value for the amount you get is irrelevant. Love that logic.

^^^^^Me too! And since then Temptalia has posted reviews with nothing averaging above a B! Seriously paying double for double the amount is not acceptable. And it is true, not even close to hitting pan on most of my UD, tarte, theBalm & MAC!

Hi ladies, I've barely posted in this thread but I am still reading and being impressed by everyone :)

I've had nothing much to say because I've bought zero makeup this year, so the ultra low buy is going very well. In fact I just checked and my last makeup purchase was late October. That has got to be a record for me!

It hasn't been painful at all - there have been a couple of things that caught my eye, particularly the Dior highlighter (the pink flowery one, I forget the proper name) but nothing that I felt I couldn't live without.

The low-buy philosophy has really spread to the rest of my life. We're going a slow but thorough purge of our whole house (I got rid of books, for the first time ever!) and I'm really thinking about anything new we bring in. My aim is a net reduction of 2016 items in 2016 (not counting consumables which are used up).

Glad you're feeling better!

Zero makeup purchased is amazing! Congratulations!!! I have to confess I have not been that good and I gave in to the Dior Nude Highlighter. That was a big splurge, probably the biggest in a long time for me! On the flip side the splurge was funded by me clearing out a ton of unused items in my collection. ;)

I just went through "Box Mountain" in our spare room! That picture shows 2yrs+ (2014 + 2015) worth of shipping boxes & packing materials from deliveries for both me & hubby! Add at least 30% more not showing, as those were broken down upon arrival. omg! It took me nearly 2 hours to break all of it down for recycling. AND seeing this totally put some of our spending in perspective. So not only am I cutting back on purchasing beauty products this year, but also clothing, shoes, "toys," etc.
boxmountain.jpg

@jennyap, oh wow, that's impressive! No makeup since October! I've de-cluttered some books myself and as a total book person who's always been taught that one cannot have enough books, it felt weird. I was able to sell some textbooks I don't need any more, and I gifted some novels to a friend who's a book lover as well. I don't miss a single book and I'm happy that other people enjoy them.
Flamingo Park will be at my counter tomorrow, and there's plenty of items I like. During the last weeks, I've set aside money for two products, but although I like most things and could imagine enjoying them in my kit, I'm not as thrilled as with former Mac collections. Hopefully, this will help me make wise choices.
Im February, the only makeup items I purchased were a powder (hit pan on my Mac Blot powder but didn't repurchase it, but went for a drugstore one which is a lot cheaper but actually great, like 23 vs 4 €) and Mac Cranberry eyeshadow (refill pan version) which I've wanted for months. I've also hit pan on two of my Naked 2 shadows and it feels great to see my products used.

^^^^^I totally ignored Flamingo Park. Mostly because I am waiting on the MAC summer release with MSF products. Those are my true weakness. Congrats on hitting pans! Woo Hoo! Giving up books is a hard thing! I know because I am an art librarian! BUT it sure does feel good to unload unused things, especially when you can gift them to people who will appreciate them! ;)

Go Jenny go! :rocker:

Love this jammin' guy! :rocker:

veronikawithak

Placed an impulse order for some fragrances last night - cancelled it this morning. Not one of my No Buy categories but I still felt guilty about it. I have some more important things to spend that money on.

Bite lipsticks are in stores today - I am not buying any until April but I'm tempted to go look and swatch. It could go either way. Often when I see things in person I can cross them off my list because they look nothing like their photos. Other times I just want them more..

fur4elise

Placed an impulse order for some fragrances last night - cancelled it this morning. Not one of my No Buy categories but I still felt guilty about it. I have some more important things to spend that money on.

Bite lipsticks are in stores today - I am not buying any until April but I'm tempted to go look and swatch. It could go either way. Often when I see things in person I can cross them off my list because they look nothing like their photos. Other times I just want them more..

Lol! I can relate to the guilty feeling...I feel like I am letting the low/no buy ladies down when I purchase something. BUT I will say this, I am being very careful, doing a lot of reading of reviews and actually going and swatching things first. It has helped me curb the spending and being/posting here is keeping me accountable.

Bite is in Sephora stores today here as well. I have to return a YSL lippie that just smells & tastes horrible! Even after swatching 2 different times, turns out my high end splurge was not worth it. So disappointed. I totally agree! In person and better still on my skin quickly determines whether something is a hit or no go! Bite is getting such a big push, I really do need to swatch a few colors before I jump into the water.

VAL4M

@fur4elise, the beauty in living is a small condo is that you do not keep boxes for 2 years! LOL OMG this is a lot of boxes.

As for Flamingo Park collection, I just look at those bright bold pink and fuchsia lipsticks and they just remind me that I have like 10 of those already that are not being used because I'm trying to finished one and it take forever to use up!

fur4elise

@fur4elise, the beauty in living is a small condo is that you do not keep boxes for 2 years! LOL OMG this is a lot of boxes.

As for Flamingo Park collection, I just look at those bright bold pink and fuchsia lipsticks and they just remind me that I have like 10 of those already that are not being used because I'm trying to finished one and it take forever to use up!

Lol! We moved from a small 2 bedroom apt to our just under 2000 sq foot home in Dec 2013. All of a sudden there was all this space. It became too easy to let things pile up in our spare room!
:hide:
When we got back from vacation in late Jan, I had enough of the clutter! Plus becoming part of the low buy group made me realize how much stuff I was collecting, not using, hoarding, wasting...It was time to head it off & tackle it head on! My closet, our spare room, my makeup collection & kit, my jewelry & watches, etc. Thus far I'd say I've cleared out a 1/4 to 1/3 via gifting, eBay, & donating. I still have more to go, but boy does it feel good to lighten the load! :D

Flamingo Park was too sugar candy colored for me. Plus I cannot wear ANY MAC lipsticks without my lips getting severely chapped within a day or so. :( Sad but true! I love having color on my lips but it's no fun having cracked, sore, peeling, even bleeding lips. I am hoping maybe Bite despite costing $7-$8 more, might have a more forgiving formula. I even tried two higher end YSL formulas. No go because of smell & taste. At least I swatched them first, but I never put any tester lip product on my lips, ever! So it wasn't until I actually got them home & tried them on that they were both a fail!

On another MAC note, MAC just lowered their curated 9x & 15x eyeshadow palettes!
:eek::goofs::yes::boink:

I mean crazy low - $3.50-$4.33 per pan depending on palette size, & there is a rumor that the pro pans will drop to $6.50 each. Of all my shadows MAC gets daily use! My lust for Viseart & ND was instantly killed off! Tried, true & trusted, MAC is my first love :heart: So I probably will purchase a couple palettes to fill some gaps in my colorways. Essential? Kinda. Smart buying? Definitely over the cost of the brands I was eyeballing!

leonah

Lol! We moved from a small 2 bedroom apt to our just under 2000 sq foot home in Dec 2013. All of a sudden there was all this space. It became too easy to let things pile up in our spare room!
When we got back from vacation in late Jan, I had enough of the clutter! Plus becoming part of the low buy group made me realize how much stuff I was collecting, not using, hoarding, wasting...It was time to head it off & tackle it head on! My closet, our spare room, my makeup collection & kit, my jewelry & watches, etc. Thus far I'd say I've cleared out a 1/4 to 1/3 via gifting, eBay, & donating. I still have more to go, but boy does it feel good to lighten the load! :D

Flamingo Park was too sugar candy colored for me. Plus I cannot wear ANY MAC lipsticks without my lips getting severely chapped within a day or so. :( Sad but true! I love having color on my lips but it's no fun having cracked, sore, peeling, even bleeding lips. I am hoping maybe Bite despite costing $7-$8 more, might have a more forgiving formula. I even tried two higher end YSL formulas. No go because of smell & taste. At least I swatched them first, but I never put any tester lip product on my lips, ever! So it wasn't until I actually got them home & tried them on that they were both a fail!

On another MAC note, MAC just lowered their curated 9x & 15x eyeshadow palettes!

I mean crazy low - $3.50-$4.33 per pan depending on palette size, & there is a rumor that the pro pans will drop to $6.50 each. Of all my shadows MAC gets daily use! My lust for Viseart & ND was instantly killed off! Tried, true & trusted, MAC is my first love :heart: So I probably will purchase a couple palettes to fill some gaps in my colorways. Essential? Kinda. Smart buying? Definitely over the cost of the brands I was eyeballing!

I hope they drop the price for the pans too!! and for the palettes as well for the rest of the world not only us :(

VAL4M

I know i'm not helping but have you try Shiseido lipsticks? I love their formula and the have nice colour selection. I know it is a company that is low key but really they should have more love because their lipsticks are one of the best. So with the cold weather, I'm Canadian, this lipstick is totally saving my lips right now.

Latest posts