Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

fur4elise

yeah most of my mac shadows are matte or satin/veluxe but they usually have very minimal shimmer so they look more matte on me at least :)

Chuckle! I don't know what it is but I love shimmer & sparkle (minus the fall out!):heart:

Keep up the good work everybody! :sunshine:I guess I've been doing okay. I purchased three items from Flamingo Park at the beginning of the month (had planned to purchase/set money aside for two), plus a cheap set of individual lashes+glue by Catrice. I've always wanted to try fake lashes but I was afraid I couldn't stand the feeling/weight on my lashes, but I've noticed it's allright. Might invest in a set of higher quality lashes one day, but my set contains about 50 individual lashes and they can be reused at least one time when I clean them properly, so I got no need to shop for more at the moment.
Well, I did spend quite a lot of money on records this month. I went to two concerts and purchased some vinyl/CDs there which were missing in my collection. The bands signed them for me and we had some nice chat at the merch booth, so in my opinion it was money well spent because I'll always enjoy the music and remember those lovely people. I'm going on a trip to Hamburg with some friends in a week to watch another band. Some years ago, most of my fun money went into music, but then makeup came and absorbed everything. I'm slowly turning into "2010 me" again and I'm quite happy about that.
I'm starting to care less and less for certain items like HG products or LE stuff. Well, I'm still interested in them, but I've internalized more and more that the latest trendy stuff (for example a hyped lipstick shade) won't make me a happier/prettier/different person. Instead, it's general concepts/looks I'm more interested in right now. Because of this, my makeup FOMO has decreased a lot.

On the neutral/matte palette topic, I'm sorry I can't say anything about brands not available here (KvD, Viseart etc.), but otherwise, if I were you, I might not go for a pre-made palette, but pick a couple of single eyeshadows which really match your needs.

Music for me is an essential! Though I am not buying that much in the way of "new" music these days. I too have been filling holes in my collection of artists I have loved for years.

hello everyone,
Fur4Elise@ why don't you buy a couple of matte singles like MAC Omega, Quarry and Kid instead of a palette? those won't broke the bank. ;)
For those reading french here a little read. I do think the article sums up the wanting of the new thing and then a soon as we have the item in question the excitement feeling just vanish. the writer is referring the a new phone but we can say the same for the new makeup item (lipstick, palette etc)
http://www.pressreader.com

Yay for not going for the MAC!

I don't own the KVD palette, but I have seen it in person, and if you want to use it to fill the matte neutral gap in your stash, there are some really good shades in there, and it would be cheaper than Viseart's Neutral Matte palette. And you can multitask with it, too! The top taupe shade would work as a face contour, and some of the browns could be used for brows (you can mix with the black to make colours more ashy).

If I had just waited a couple more days... I would have probably gone the route of a few singles. MAC pans just dropped to $6 each!!! The only thing is I would be buying colors direct from the site without being able to swatch for selection. In the end, I returned $89 worth of lipstick to Sephora that I purchased outright (budgeted) and used a portion of the refund to buy the KVD palette. I used it this morning and right now it is looking to be just what I needed! Pigmented, smooth, blends super easy!

Other Shopping Stuff: Younkers is having one of their many annual Goodwill sales. You donate & get 25% off coupons (clothing)/15% off coupons (for makeup & fragrance). So now I have a fist full of coupons...lol! I should be able to find a few work wardrobe staples for spring & summer.

And for just a few days they offer 20% off cosmetics and fragrances. After returning my Sephora stuff, I stopped by the Lancome in Younkers for a couple samples of the Teint Idole Ultra foundation to try (still hunting for a HG foundation). I ended up purchasing a Gloss In Love (Gem N Glam) & a Shine Lover Lipstick in Plum Daudice. At 20% off and with a really nice free gift, I got a nice deal. I am wearing the lipstick today and so far so good. It is very light, sheer and moisturizing. We'll see how my lips are tonight.

In the end I exchanged a few fail products for a couple new and did not spend any extra money.

As an aside...lol. Now that I have the KVD palette, I have created a personal challenge for myself!
It is called "NAKED For 30 Days!"
:rofl:

I have pulled out all of my NAKED palettes to use along with the KVD (with maybe a few tarte & MAC colors thrown in here & there) for the next 30 days! I have no excuse to not use these palettes because I loved them when I bought them...and now they actually feel new again because I ignored them for so long. ;)

leonah

so far this year I have not spent so much but it's been more a few purchases that cost more :( but the best part is that I've reorganized and sorted out stuff that I don't need like extra backups or stuff that comes in a set, when I maybe didn't like one or two items in the set I have now put some up for sale so I'm happy about that :) it's going to feel so good when I get rid of stuff that I never used

VAL4M

Another good option, of course! (Kid's been discontinued, though.)

Really? been a while since I went to a MAC store and if I do, I ''try'' to not look at makeup. *wink* makeuplowbuy *wink* LOL
Hey are you almost done with Feed the Senses lipstick? you've been working on that lipstick for a while no?

Alysse011

Well, I broke my no buy and bought a beauty blender. BUT in my defense, my old bb I think had mold on it. It has discolored moldy looking spots. I wasn't keen on using it on my face anymore, so I'm going to go ahead and give myself a pass on this.

leonah

Well, I broke my no buy and bought a beauty blender. BUT in my defense, my old bb I think had mold on it. It has discolored moldy looking spots. I wasn't keen on using it on my face anymore, so I'm going to go ahead and give myself a pass on this.

good one. hygiene is more important for sure

fur4elise

good one. hygiene is more important for sure

^^^^^I had to chuckle, coz you totally get a pass on an essential!
Smart cookie! Skin care is the most important!

I do not use brushes to apply foundation because it tends to irritate my skin. I used the Sonia Kushak version for years ($10-$11 instead of $20) then last year discovered the Real Techniques blenders (2 pk. for $11, but you can always find them bogo sale &/or with coupon). I really like them and I don't break the bank on something that absolutely needs to be periodically replaced.

Last edited:

Alysse011

:roflmao:
Thanks y'all! At first I thought surely it's not mold and it just got stained with something. I've never had one do that before! I guess it makes sense though since it is constantly wet (and sometimes dirty?)

shellygrrl

Staff member

Yeah, that's a good call.

veronikawithak

A few updates:

No makeup purchases in 170 days.

Just paid off my last credit card. I am officially credit card debt free!

Saved $1500 of my tax return for an emergency fund.

My only remaining debt is a government student loan that I started making payments on in November and a student line of credit that I have to start making payments on in May. Still 6 figures of debt that will take me quite a while to pay back but going down from 6 debt payments to 2 feels great. Now that I'm not throwing money at credit cards I'll be able to build up my emergency fund a bit more in April and also adjust my budget for all of those changes before May.

There is a tiny light at the end of the tunnel! If I can manage to get through the next few months without taking on any new debt, I'll consider myself in addiction recovery!

Alysse011

A few updates:

My only remaining debt is a government student loan that I started making payments on in November and a student line of credit that I have to start making payments on in May. Still 6 figures of debt that will take me quite a while to pay back but going down from 6 debt payments to 2 feels great. Now that I'm not throwing money at credit cards I'll be able to build up my emergency fund a bit more in April and also adjust my budget for all of those changes before May.

There is a tiny light at the end of the tunnel! If I can manage to get through the next few months without taking on any new debt, I'll consider myself in addiction recovery!

that is amazing!! I'm so proud of you. I feel like saving is similar to going to the gym...it kind of sucks for a while until you start seeing results and then it's addicting haha.

VAL4M

A few updates:

THUMBS UP!!! Good luck with those student loan took my 7 years to finish paying!

shellygrrl

Staff member
A few updates:

:rocker: Go you!

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...

* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* MUFE Ultra HD - mix of 117/Y225 and Y205 (two pumps of darker shade to just under a pump of the lighter one)
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - SX01
* Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil - Ash
* Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara
* Josie Maran Argan Infinity Lip and Cheek Creamy Oil - Everlasting Honey (lips and cheeks; nice subtle flush on the cheeks)

Alysse011

Monday FOTD:

YSL Blur Primer
Cle de Peau Radiant Fluid Foundation
CT Retoucher concealer
By Terry Ombre Blackstar in Bronze Moon
Chanel Volume de Chanel mascara
Armani blush in 10 (discontinued)
Anastasia Glow Palette in That Glow
YSL Nude Beige lipstick

veronikawithak

that is amazing!! I'm so proud of you. I feel like saving is similar to going to the gym...it kind of sucks for a while until you start seeing results and then it's addicting haha.

Thanks! :D It's a good feeling. I would much rather be addicted to saving and going to the gym than shopping! Getting back in shape is my next priority now that I'm out from under the credit card debt.

THUMBS UP!!! Good luck with those student loan took my 7 years to finish paying!

Thank you! 7 years is pretty amazing for student debt. Good job! A lot of people I know are on 10-20 year timelines. If I pay the minimum I'll be finished in 10 years but I'm hoping to be done in 5-8.

Thanks! :D

In other news, I went to Sephora the other day and was able to swatch all of the lipsticks I was interested in from the new Bite collection. I've narrowed it down to a few I'd like to purchase once my No Buy is over in a few weeks. I also cashed in 100 points so I could try the new formula - of course the color is Radish which I'll never use, but it gave me an idea of how they'll wear. Plus I have 500+ and haven't used any in almost a year. I also ordered a new pair of booties. I'm not sure if I'll keep them or not, but I've been having the worst time finding any and I don't want to wait until next season when they're full price. They looked really cute online but you never know. ETA: Cancelled this order. I shall wait until I find the perfect (probably full price) ones, and not be sucked into the FOMO and end-of-season sales.

Last edited:

fur4elise

A few updates:

Woot Woot for You! I am still paying my student loans. Grrrrr. I have been paying for 12 years. Grrrrr. They are not clear for another 13 years! Ugh! But I would not have the job I do now without the degree I earned. On the flipside, I was given a super low interest rate in comparison to today's rates!

I am super close to having my little bit of CC# debt paid off. I'd say 2 months and it will be clear. Again the upswing is I have not incurred any new CC charges.

Makeup Stuffs: 2 purchases made.
New Sally Hansen Gel Colour. I have not done my nails in eons, since I stopped with the acrylics last year. Talk about saving money! Fake nails equate about $50 bucks a month in upkeep! Cha Ching! Since I am not competing anytime soon and my nails needed a serious break, the nails had to go! And I could not be happier for it! I had a coupon for this color and love it!
SH_Nails.jpg
I also settled on my new foundation. Even though I purchased the bottle with a 20% coupon, the mua gave me 2 good size sample to use to be absolutely sure I like the foundation before I open the box! Smart on both are parts. I went with the Estee Lauder Double Wear in 4C3 Soft Tan. I tested Lancome Teint Idole & Clinique Beyond Perfecting as well. The Lancome was too light (not sure the mua did a good job matching me) and the Clinique was too dark and made me super oily!
I have been wearing the ELDW for almost a week and I love it. :heart: Super long wearing, transfer resistant, seems to absorb any oil, nice coverage.

I already mentioned the Lancome Shine Lover and Gloss in Love last week, essentially an even exchange with refund. I love both colors I purchased!
Lancome_Lippies.jpg

That's it for purchases. Now I am in full on Spring cleaning mode, so more is heading out the door and lots of cleaning and organizing is afoot! This week I will pick a nice color to paint my bathroom. Hubby and I have separate bathrooms. I am thinking a very light green. I really like Lime Granita or Dancing Green. What do y'all think?
SW-ColorOpt-13.gif

Last edited:
B

Buffy89

A few updates:

Congrats on this!!!! As always, you are my heroine and motivation.

Alysse011

Woot Woot for You! I am still paying my student loans. Grrrrr. I have been paying for 12 years. Grrrrr. They are not clear for another 13 years! Ugh! But I would not have the job I do now without the degree I earned. On the flipside, I was given a super low interest rate in comparison to today's rates!

I am super close to having my little bit of CC# debt paid off. I'd say 2 months and it will be clear. Again the upswing is I have not incurred any new CC charges.

Makeup Stuffs: 2 purchases made.
New Sally Hansen Gel Colour. I have not done my nails in eons, since I stopped with the acrylics last year. Talk about saving money! Fake nails equate about $50 bucks a month in upkeep! Cha Ching! Since I am not competing anytime soon and my nails needed a serious break, the nails had to go! And I could not be happier for it! I had a coupon for this color and love it!
View attachment 52986
I also settled on my new foundation. Even though I purchased the bottle with a 20% coupon, the mua gave me 2 good size sample to use to be absolutely sure I like the foundation before I open the box! Smart on both are parts. I went with the Estee Lauder Double Wear in 4C3 Soft Tan. I tested Lancome Teint Idole & Clinique Beyond Perfecting as well. The Lancome was too light (not sure the mua did a good job matching me) and the Clinique was too dark and made me super oily!
I have been wearing the ELDW for almost a week and I love it. :heart: Super long wearing, transfer resistant, seems to absorb any oil, nice coverage.

I already mentioned the Lancome Shine Lover and Gloss in Love last week, essentially an even exchange with refund. I love both colors I purchased!
View attachment 52987

That's it for purchases. Now I am in full on Spring cleaning mode, so more is heading out the door and lots of cleaning and organizing is afoot! This week I will pick a nice color to paint my bathroom. Hubby and I have separate bathrooms. I am thinking a very light green. I really like Lime Granita or Dancing Green. What do y'all think?
View attachment 52988

I like Lime Granita! We are painting our living room right now, and staring at paint swatches is such a challenge. We did gray and the first one we chose ended up looking blue after it was on the wall haha.

Latest posts