Resolution LOW-BUY 2016

fur4elise

I know i'm not helping but have you try Shiseido lipsticks? I love their formula and the have nice colour selection. I know it is a company that is low key but really they should have more love because their lipsticks are one of the best. So with the cold weather, I'm Canadian, this lipstick is totally saving my lips right now.

No. I have not tried Shiseido. They were so popular in the 80's and then presence here in the US diminished. Around the same time the line Prescriptives did. :confused: I live in Michigan and though it does not get as cold as Canada we have similar climates. I would take your advice & recommendations seriously. Do you have formula you suggest? Name? :)

VAL4M

No. I have not tried Shiseido. They were so popular in the 80's and then presence here in the US diminished. Around the same time the line Prescriptives did. :confused: I live in Michigan and though it does not get as cold as Canada we have similar climates. I would take your advice & recommendations seriously. Do you have formula you suggest? Name? :)
Shiseido only have 3 lipsticks line, Perfect rouge thats what i'm wearing in general, Shimmering rouge (sheerer lipstick) that I never tested and Lacquer rouge (liquid lipstick) they are pretty good (only have one) still less drying then others but still might be too dry for you.
In Perfect rouge I have RS320 Fuchsia (Love that colour), RS711 Venetian Rose (perfect MBB shade) and PK303 Pink Mesa (Nude-brown colour)
I have others but can't remember on top of my head. I can swatch them on Monday if you want. you can also go read The non blonde blog on the brand. I really trust her judgment and have nice swatch.
http://www.thenonblonde.com/search?q=+shiseido#.Vtu7Y4TfZ0g

It is a petty that Shiseido is not easy to find in the states because it is a really cohesive line, stuff that work, really well made, packaging is efficient and still high end, with beauty full colours that will work for everyday life.

shellygrrl

Staff member
FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - mix of Mattifying and Hydrating Primers across forehead and nose
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer across nose
* Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer (chin)
* MUFE Ultra HD Foundation - Y205 (note to self, never use a brush to blend this in again. Stick with the beautyblender!)
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15 (undereye and across lid after primer)
* Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer - SX01 (spot concealing; I think I can wear either SX01 or 03 in this)
* Anastasia Brow Powder Duo - Ash Brown (left side only)
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium/Deep
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* Victoria's Secret eyeshadow - Bunny
* MAC Eyeshadows - Omega as transition, Malt above transition, Indian Ink on lashline
* Makeup Geek Eyeshadow - Barcelona Beach in the crease
* Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Mascara
* MAC Blush - Next to Skin to contour
* Josie Maran Argan Enlightenment Illuminizing Veil
* Josie Maran Argan Infinity Lip and Cheek Creamy Oil - Everlasting Honey (lips only)

VAL4M

Hell0,
Here swatches of Shiseido Perfect rouge lipstick
left to right
RD304, RS711, RD732, PK303, RS320
IMG_1963.jpg

I did compare RS320 Fuchsia against MAC other hot pink and fuchsia top Guerlain Rouge automatique 165, the 2 next to RS320 are top MAC Flat out Fabulous and bottom MAC Quick Sizzle, next MAC Good Kisser and far right Chanel Rouge allure velvet 37 l'exuberante
IMG_1968.jpg

fur4elise

Hell0,
Here swatches of Shiseido Perfect rouge lipstick
left to right
RD304, RS711, RD732, PK303, RS320
View attachment 52761 View attachment 52762

I did compare RS320 Fuchsia against MAC other hot pink and fuchsia top Guerlain Rouge automatique 165, the 2 next to RS320 are top MAC Flat out Fabulous and bottom MAC Quick Sizzle, next MAC Good Kisser and far right Chanel Rouge allure velvet 37 l'exuberante

Yay! Thank you for the swatches! I confess when I was playing with the virtual artist lip I loved the Guerlain colors...but oh oh so expensive! Big no no for no/low buy right?!...lol! The three middle colors of the Shiseido are right up my alley for daily color. I may have to for go Bite (see below) and order a couple Shiseido lipsticks to try.

I am wearing Bite Sweet Cream today and thus far I am not sure, color wise and lip feel wise. Disappointing but not surprising. My lips are just super finicky & sensitive. Ugh.

p.s. I like thenonblonde blog! She looks like a lady I would love shopping and taking lunch with! ;)

fur4elise

Date Night Delight
Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Free & Pore Minimizing Primers
MAC SFF NC40, 42 & 45
Clarins Summer Fever – Contour
MAC Blush - Breezy
Stila Blush - Pink Glow
Eyes – MAC Vintage Selection Paint Pot, Cranberry & Da Bling + a super light pink frost (probably theBalm)
UD 24/7 Pencil – Corrupt set with MUFE e/s 622
Revlon Dramatic Definition Mascara – Blackest Black– I have all of the new Revlon mascaras and this hands down is my favorite spoolie & formula. With the “All-In-One” coming in second. The other formulas for some reason lead to clumping and random fibers, and craap getting stuck to my lashes and into my eyes. Not acceptable with my hard contact lenses!

Cover Girl Lip Liner Radiant & Oh Sugar Balm in Jelly

Fab FOTD

Olay Primer & SB Pore Minimizing Primer – The jury is out on the SB pore minimizer. I got a few samples to try that also include Benefit & tarte. I have to be careful in which order I apply the Smashbox as this one likes to pill and “smooosh” onto my fingers and not my face. Some primers do not play well with others!
Clarins Summer Fever – Contour – Still a fav!
Nars III (Narssist Cheek Studio) & Orgasm Blushes
MUFE Finishing Powder- I am back to this over my Ben Nye powders. Just feeling like I am putting too much color on my face.
Eyes – MAC Improper Copper CCB, UD Toxic (Vice2), Ambush (lower lash)
UD 24/7 Pencil Twice Baked
Cover Girl Lash Blast Clump Crusher Mascara – Very Black

Recent Swipings & Swatching
I’m still have fun digging through my drawers. I forget how awesome theatrical makeup is! Ben Nye Rouge Palette! – omg! Here I was about to throw down for some new blushes! I already have 8 nicely pigmented colors to select from. And if I really want to get some new colors, I should just invest in another Ben Nye palette! Price point about $6.25 per shade in an 8 color palette. I just throw MSF and/or highlight colors over them for more shimmer. The Ben Nye Grand Lumiere Palette – Gorgeous bright color eyes shadows. I love setting my color UD pencils with these! :heart:

Shopping StuffsI am holding fast to my declutter funds. They are safely stashed in my savings account until a worthy splurge comes along. ;)

Well...my flirtation with YSL lip, both formulas - fail. They will be returned.

My first Bite lipcolor, Sweet Cream - fail. I have not used my other Bite color yet. I will return the failed color and plan to give Bite another try as there are 2 - 3 other shades I do like...I need to remember cool toned colors do not work! As much as I love them, for my skin tone they are a no no!

Turns out my oh so cheap color Cover Girl lip balms are working great. No, they do not have long lasting, staying power, but they do not chap my lips at all!

The new Fitbit Blaze fitness watch came out and the reviews are moderate. The deal breaker for me was finding out the unit is not waterproof!!! How can a fitness tracker not be waterproof?! Epic fail! I just saved myself well over $200. No loss though as I still love my Polar A300.

Spring has sprung here! A high of 60 yesterday and over 65 today. I am feeling the need for spring cleaning...which leads to more dekrappification of stuff. ;)

Alysse011

My work FOTD:

-YSL Blur Primer (have a sample of this. It's nice.)
-NIOD Photography Fluid mixed with Koh Gen Do Moisture foundation
-By Terry Terrybly Densillis concealer (scraping the sides of the tube. This is done.)
-Anastasia Dip Brow in Taupe
-It Cosmetics Liner Love in black for a gel winged liner
-Chanel Le Volume mascara on top lashes only
-Armani blush
-Anastasia highlighter from the "That Glow" palette
-Lancome Vintage Rose lipstick (the only lipstick I've used up and repurchased. So perfect)

Alysse011

Update on my no buy -
its been semi tough and somehow also easier than I thought. I'm not sure how it's both of those at the same time haha. I almost slipped and used a 10% off Sephora coupon, but they wouldn't let me use it in store so I didn't buy anything. It's all for the best. I didn't need the highlighter I was about to buy anyway!

I did tell myself that I could repurchase mascara, concealer, and self tanner since I was running low on those items. I repurchased my mascara and the SA threw in two samples of my mascara too! Very pleased with that. I also purchased the Charlotte Tilbury retoucher concealer. I'm happy with that decision too - I originally planned to repurchase my very expensive By Terry concealer, so that's money saved. I haven't purchased any self tanner yet, so that may still happen at some point.

I havent purchased any clothing/shoes/accessories etc. I will admit though that I did have an unplanned purchase. I bought the MAC Warm Neutrals palette because the price dropped and I had two returns at Nordstrom. I don't feel bad about it. I've wanted that palette since it was $100, so the most recent drop was just too much for me to resist. I'm really happy with it too, so I'm not feeling too terrible over it.

Anyway, even though I'm pleased with the palette purchase, I do recognize the next area I need to work on - not buying other items when I make returns. That's a struggle for me. I should just get the money back instead of another product.

Also, edited to add -
I'm proud of myself for not giving into more lipstick purchases. I've been doing a good job of finding happiness in the colors I already own when I'm tempted by something new. With that being said, I'm going to start to try to wear my lippies more. I have such a great variety but tend to stick to the same shades on a day to day basis. I would really like to start showing others some love too

Last edited:

veronikawithak

So you know that perfume order I cancelled? I used that money to buy pairs of tickets to THREE concerts at the symphony to go on date nights. Instead of adding to my hoard of possessions I'll be able to enjoy some quality time with my favorite human. Sometimes I forget what is most important and need a little jolt to remind myself. :D

I also bought some new games. We have a few different tabletop game groups that we play with (sometimes 2 days a week) so these will get a lot of use.

Still working on the mental aspects of shopping addiction: perfectionism, completionism, various other -isms - but I'm no longer pretending that the holes in my life can ever be filled with consumerism.

Alysse011

So you know that perfume order I cancelled? I used that money to buy pairs of tickets to THREE concerts at the symphony to go on date nights. Instead of adding to my hoard of possessions I'll be able to enjoy some quality time with my favorite human. Sometimes I forget what is most important and need a little jolt to remind myself. :D

I also bought some new games. We have a few different tabletop game groups that we play with (sometimes 2 days a week) so these will get a lot of use.

Still working on the mental aspects of shopping addiction: perfectionism, completionism, various other -isms - but I'm no longer pretending that the holes in my life can ever be filled with consumerism.

what a great use of that money!! Memories are definitely more important, so kudos to you! Also you've reminded me that Wicked will be in my city soon and I need to go ahead an nab some tickets

fur4elise

Update on my no buy -
its been semi tough and somehow also easier than I thought. I'm not sure how it's both of those at the same time haha. I almost slipped and used a 10% off Sephora coupon, but they wouldn't let me use it in store so I didn't buy anything. It's all for the best. I didn't need the highlighter I was about to buy anyway!

I did tell myself that I could repurchase mascara, concealer, and self tanner since I was running low on those items. I repurchased my mascara and the SA threw in two samples of my mascara too! Very pleased with that. I also purchased the Charlotte Tilbury retoucher concealer. I'm happy with that decision too - I originally planned to repurchase my very expensive By Terry concealer, so that's money saved. I haven't purchased any self tanner yet, so that may still happen at some point.

I haven't purchased any clothing/shoes/accessories etc. I will admit though that I did have an unplanned purchase. I bought the MAC Warm Neutrals palette because the price dropped and I had two returns at Nordstrom. I don't feel bad about it. I've wanted that palette since it was $100, so the most recent drop was just too much for me to resist. I'm really happy with it too, so I'm not feeling too terrible over it.

Anyway, even though I'm pleased with the palette purchase, I do recognize the next area I need to work on - not buying other items when I make returns. That's a struggle for me. I should just get the money back instead of another product.

Also, edited to add -
I'm proud of myself for not giving into more lipstick purchases. I've been doing a good job of finding happiness in the colors I already own when I'm tempted by something new. With that being said, I'm going to start to try to wear my lippies more. I have such a great variety but tend to stick to the same shades on a day to day basis. I would really like to start showing others some love too

What a great use of that money!! Memories are definitely more important, so kudos to you! Also you've reminded me that Wicked will be in my city soon and I need to go ahead an nab some tickets

Awesome awesome ladies!!! You both are rocking it! And you both continue to inspire me to not go overboard.
:five::five::five:

@Veronika ~ Memory making is definitely where it's at!

@Alysse ~ After coming in here & reading, I held off on pulling the trigger on my MAC cart currently holding the MAC palette you purchased along with a few other things. Really I have no "need" in that cart right now and for some reason holding onto those "splurge funds" for now feels really good.

Also, no clothing or shoe shopping since the beginning of the year for me. With spring coming, I will need to switch out my closets, assess, donate & pitch. Once I do that there are usually a few staples that need to be replaced...

As for lipstick...I totally let myself get sucked into the Bite craze. I've decided to give the lipstick thing a break for now. I'm not even going to try another Bite color at this point.
Good old lip liner & balm has worked all this time. I am going to hold out for the Lancome Juicy Shakers. It is an oil/pigment/stain product that I hope may work for my ridiculously over sensitive lips. In the meantime, I am going to try a couple recommended, extremely reasonably priced lip treatments to see if I can keep my lips healthier on a daily basis.

fur4elise

Hey hey ladies! I asked this question under the KVD thread, but since this is about low buying & using stuffs up, I thought I should ask here too ;)

After careful review of all my MAC & UD Naked palettes, I realized I do NOT need to buy any of the lowered price curated MAC palettes. I have too many dupes! I did not pull the trigger on my MAC cart! Good girl!

I also realized I am not reaching for them because they are primarily shimmer, metallic & frosts. Hmmmmm? I am missing a full matte selection that would definitely make me reach for those palettes to tone down all the shimmer, sparkle, frost etc. Do y'all think the KVD light & shade palette would be a good selection to complete/fill the neutral/matte hole? The pricing to me is far more reasonable than say the Viseart mattes. Other suggestions?

Alysse011

I'm afraid I'm not helpful with the KVD palette question. I have the Viseart Neutral Matte palette and do love it. However, I have heard mostly raves about the shade and light, so I would definitely say it's worth checking out

also, good on you for not pulling the trigger on your MAC cart! You made the right decision...I ended up returning the Warm Neutrals palette.

shellygrrl

Staff member
Hey hey ladies! I asked this question under the KVD thread, but since this is about low buying & using stuffs up, I thought I should ask here too ;)

After careful review of all my MAC & UD Naked palettes, I realized I do NOT need to buy any of the lowered price curated MAC palettes. I have too many dupes! I did not pull the trigger on my MAC cart! Good girl!

I also realized I am not reaching for them because they are primarily shimmer, metallic & frosts. Hmmmmm? I am missing a full matte selection that would definitely make me reach for those palettes to tone down all the shimmer, sparkle, frost etc. Do y'all think the KVD light & shade palette would be a good selection to complete/fill the neutral/matte hole? The pricing to me is far more reasonable than say the Viseart mattes. Other suggestions?

Yay for not going for the MAC!

I don't own the KVD palette, but I have seen it in person, and if you want to use it to fill the matte neutral gap in your stash, there are some really good shades in there, and it would be cheaper than Viseart's Neutral Matte palette. And you can multitask with it, too! The top taupe shade would work as a face contour, and some of the browns could be used for brows (you can mix with the black to make colours more ashy).

B

Buffy89

Keep up the good work everybody! :sunshine:I guess I've been doing okay. I purchased three items from Flamingo Park at the beginning of the month (had planned to purchase/set money aside for two), plus a cheap set of individual lashes+glue by Catrice. I've always wanted to try fake lashes but I was afraid I couldn't stand the feeling/weight on my lashes, but I've noticed it's allright. Might invest in a set of higher quality lashes one day, but my set contains about 50 individual lashes and they can be reused at least one time when I clean them properly, so I got no need to shop for more at the moment.
Well, I did spend quite a lot of money on records this month. I went to two concerts and purchased some vinyl/CDs there which were missing in my collection. The bands signed them for me and we had some nice chat at the merch booth, so in my opinion it was money well spent because I'll always enjoy the music and remember those lovely people. I'm going on a trip to Hamburg with some friends in a week to watch another band. Some years ago, most of my fun money went into music, but then makeup came and absorbed everything. I'm slowly turning into "2010 me" again and I'm quite happy about that.
I'm starting to care less and less for certain items like HG products or LE stuff. Well, I'm still interested in them, but I've internalized more and more that the latest trendy stuff (for example a hyped lipstick shade) won't make me a happier/prettier/different person. Instead, it's general concepts/looks I'm more interested in right now. Because of this, my makeup FOMO has decreased a lot.

On the neutral/matte palette topic, I'm sorry I can't say anything about brands not available here (KvD, Viseart etc.), but otherwise, if I were you, I might not go for a pre-made palette, but pick a couple of single eyeshadows which really match your needs.

VAL4M

hello everyone,
Fur4Elise@ why don't you buy a couple of matte singles like MAC Omega, Quarry and Kid instead of a palette? those won't broke the bank. ;)
For those reading french here a little read. I do think the article sums up the wanting of the new thing and then a soon as we have the item in question the excitement feeling just vanish. the writer is referring the a new phone but we can say the same for the new makeup item (lipstick, palette etc)
http://www.pressreader.com

shellygrrl

Staff member
hello everyone,
Fur4Elise@ why don't you buy a couple of matte singles like MAC Omega, Quarry and Kid instead of a palette? those won't broke the bank. ;)

Another good option, of course! (Kid's been discontinued, though.)

FOTD...
* MUFE Step 1 - Mattifying Primer
* MUFE Step 1 - Smoothing Primer
* MUFE Ultra HD - mix of Y205 and 117/Y225
* Kevyn Aucoin SSE - mix of SX01 and SX03
* MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer - NW15
* Benefit Gimme Brow - Medium/Deep
* NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base
* MAC Paint Pot - Nice Composure
* MAC Lipstick - Feed the Senses

leonah

hello everyone,
For those reading french here a little read. I do think the article sums up the wanting of the new thing and then a soon as we have the item in question the excitement feeling just vanish. the writer is referring the a new phone but we can say the same for the new makeup item (lipstick, palette etc)
http://www.pressreader.com

yeah most of my mac shadows are matte or satin/veluxe but they usually have very minimal shimmer so they look more matte on me at least :)

Latest posts