Strange metal pans- could these e/s be fake?

elleread

Hey all,

I recently depotted a whole lot of eyeshadows, and found something strange with three of them! I bought these three from an ebay seller called charleyandemily, who (belatedly) I've found on here as having sold fake pigments in the past.
ssad.gif

So- the thing is, I've only got one of the boxes and one of the pots still, having thrown the other boxes away and returned two pots for B2M (I would never have done it if I'd suspected they were fakes!! This is how good they are!)

The thing with the pans is, they are a different shape from regular, genuine Mac pans- they have a kind of ridge around them underneath- like this:

The boxes and pots looked soooo real to me, but now I look closer at the box it may have some differences. Firstly, it is not glued together well. The card seems slightly different in colour to the genuine box (compared in these pics with Malt- genuine, bought from Mac). The sticker on the top is kind of glossy, rather than matte.

The pots themselves seem identical, although the font on the label is slightly different- however, some of my genuine e/s have slightly differing fonts.
Malt (genuine) on left, Twinks (suspect) on right

Finally, the swatch test! Here on NW15 skin, daylight, no flash.

and the shadows themselves:

I'm really sorry this has been long, please help if you can, I am really concerned that if these are fakes, they're so good they are really hard to spot!
TIA
X

panda0410

unfortunately we are seeing these bottoms on pans associated with fake e/s.... the real proof is in the swatch though so you still need a comparison authentic mac e/s to compare to. the only guaranteed way to get real mac now because these fakes are so damn good is to buy direct from mac

MAC_Whore

The indented pans are not the norm for MAC. To be optimistic: I would say that perhaps it is a new manufacturing process meant to differentiate between pans that are sold as pans v. pans that are depotted, but looking at the batch codes, those were made in 06 so they are not new. Can anyone confirm depotting a shadow with a newer batch?

To be honest (and probably a bit pesimistic): I get an ookie feeling that those a probably not real.

You could email MAC's Global Customer Relations dept (see contact info here and ask them if the bottoms of the pans have changed, but I don't expect them to too helpful, as their general response to this type of question is something along the lines of, "We don't guarantee any MAC product purchased outside of a MAC counter/store." I guess if you could word it without saying you bought it on ebay??

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Also check out this thread. It has some helpful info on fakes.
winks.gif

elleread

Thank you. It seems no-one is really sure about this issue with the indented metal pans- maybe if someone can do some accurate swatches it will be the best way to tell for sure? It's terrible if the indented pans are the only way to tell the fakes- you'll never know for sure before you depot them!
I will try and ask Mac directly, but i'm not sure I'll get a helpful response. Still, here goes!

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleread
Can anyone swatch some genuine ones for me please? Twinks, Jest, Kid.

Can't help you with the swatches but the bad news is these are the colours that are being quoted by the 'wholesalers' on their mail shots.

The last lot I bought had shinier boxes so after depotting one for my own sanity found a dimpled bottom. I am no means expert but I guess this is probably an indicator to a fake - sorry
ssad.gif

elleread

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie150463
Can't help you with the swatches but the bad news is these are the colours that are being quoted by the 'wholesalers' on their mail shots.

Who are these 'wholesalers'? Is this where the ebay sellers are getting their supplies, and does it mean they are fakes?

julie150463

Quote:
Who are these 'wholesalers'? Is this where the ebay sellers are getting their supplies, and does it mean they are fakes?

Hi
Any one can get on a wholesale list but as I've found out to my cost (very expensive lessons have been learnt I can assure you) MAC just doesn't do wholesale.
I have used several of these 'wholesalers' and they are all selling fake MAC. They all deny it - obviously - but when presented with enough evidence they back down - well in my case they have - I have been very lucky - other sellers unfortunately have not. As this is a public forum I would prefer not to name these companies as you just do not know who is reading.
I sell MAC on ebay - and am now positive my stock is authentic. I've had a couple of Spektra experts vetting most of my problem stuff. I cannot generalise and say where other sellers are getting their stock but if you look for trends on colours I would say this is a good indicator.
I've been struck off some of the wholesalers lists - for obvious reasons
winks.gif
- but if I get any more mailshots I will let you all know the possible fakes to be on the lookout for.

elleread

Do I have any recourse to the seller I bought them from? I mean, do I have enough evidence that they're fakes to claim a refund? (either from the seller or through Paypal).
I haven't contacted them yet, but think that is my next course of action.

julie150463

Quote:
Do I have any recourse to the seller I bought them from? I mean, do I have enough evidence that they're fakes to claim a refund? (either from the seller or through Paypal).
I haven't contacted them yet, but think that is my next course of action.

The sad reality is that the seller won't even realise they are fake - these new ones are getting better but the boxes still aren't quite right.
Contact them to see what they say and tell them you will be opening a dispute.
I hope the seller is a genuine person - if it were me I'd be refunding immediately and withdrawing the items.
Good luck

julie150463

****INFO ONLY****
List from one source - that's how easy it is unfortunately
ssad.gif

MAC Eye Shadows Available

MAC Eye Shadows Available
100 for $820
Boxed and Perfect
Some of the colors available are:
TILT
ROSE BLANC
SABLE
BUDDING BEAUTY
DEEP TRUTH
VELLUM
BLUE EDGE
JEST FADE
plus a few more!

Will be a mix.

Paypal payment, no fees. US shipping included in price. International add $20 for each 100 pieces.

About 2 week delivery time. More than likely less, but to be safe.
fob: - - price: $820 for 100

elleread

Well, I've contacted the seller, so we'll see what she says. I've also opened a dispute with Paypal, although only for one of the shadows, as I bought the other two in early Feb and it seems it's too late!
ssad.gif

I'll let you know the outcome.

julie150463

********FOR INFO*********
From another email - different seller

MAC EYESHADOWS NEW IN BOX
100%AUTHENTIC....MIX OF THESE COLORS MAYBE A FEW OTHERS..
MINIMUM OF 100 PIECES $10.25 EACH

TILT
ROSE BLANC
SABLE
BUDDING BEAUTY
DEEP TRUTH
VELLUM
BLUE EDGE
JEST
FADE

available for immediate shipment

Spotting the trend yet?

elleread

The e/s currently being sold by charleyandemily are
SCENE
FOLIE
SATELLITE DREAMS
NOCTURNELLE
TWINKS
HONEY LUST
BURNT ORANGE
CORDUROY
VAPOUR
SABLE
TILT
YOGURT
ANGELCAKE
GESSO

as well as KID and ROMP and IDOL EYES which I have also seen her selling often.

She does seem to have a never-ending supply of these as well... anyone know if these shades turn up often as fakes?

Xqueeze_me

charleyandemily is known for selling fake MAC so I'm guessing that they get their "stock" from suppliers of fake MAC. I wouldn't doubt that they're fakes knowing that they sell counterfeit MAC.

elleread

Well, the seller just emailed me to say she is sure they are genuine as she trusts her suppliers - I think it's possible she's being honest, but I still believe they're fakes.

elleread

Did you buy Swimming from the same seller as the others? Or a different seller?
What were the probs you had with the ones from kate.ritchie?