Strange metal pans- could these e/s be fake?

look_divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleread
Did you buy Swimming from the same seller as the others? Or a different seller?
What were the probs you had with the ones from kate.ritchie?

no i purchased swimming from melissakb16
other eye shadows were purchased off closetmustgo which is a surprise as i was told hers are fakes
although i purchased carbon direct from mac online
i will depot one off kate richie and let you know brb LOL

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by look_divine
heres a pic of front and back after depotting
look_divine - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

from left to right
Carbon A97 Mac Counter Purchase
Goldmine A97 Ebay Purchase
Swimming B26 Ebay Purchase
Shimmermoss A37 Ebay Purchase
Steamy A67 Ebay Purchase
Please note on pic swimming is the only one that has a indented back

See - not every seller is automatically selling fakes on Ebay. Swimming was one of those colours that was faked unfortunately.
I'm going to email MAC direct to see what they have to say about the pans - it's driving me nuts
th_crazy.gif

look_divine

sorry i had already depotted one from kate richie surreal had indented back and was batch number A65
so eally im none the wiser

look_divine

well i was told the eye shadows and pigments i purchased off closetmustgo were fake, now im unsure
ssad.gif
as all hers have smooth back on the pans

look_divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie150463
See - not every seller is automatically selling fakes on Ebay. Swimming was one of those colours that was faked unfortunately.
I'm going to email MAC direct to see what they have to say about the pans - it's driving me nuts
th_crazy.gif

i just depotted romp i got off kate richie to that also has the ridge on back of pan
ssad.gif

julie150463

Quote:
i just depotted romp i got off kate richie to that also has the ridge on back of pan
ssad.gif

I'm guessing then that indent does in deed mean fake.
ssad.gif
I have just emailed MAC and I'll let everyone know their response when they get back to me.

look_divine

I presume so all the sellers that i have been told are fake or do sell fake have indented, only one hasnt is closetmustgo
ssad.gif

BUT i didnt dispute the eye shadows only the pigments

surreal and romp both off kate richie have indented backs

amber_j

Oh man, this is depressing! I thought I'd managed to work out which ones were fake and which ones weren't on the UK eBay site (I've already sent back 4 fakes for a full refund). I haven't depotted any of the ones I kept, including 2 from charleyandemily.
Kinda scared to do it now...
ssad.gif

look_divine

i depotted all 19 of my eye shadows lol
only 3 have the indented backs
2 sellers mentioned earlier and another i purchased months ago which i have used nearly all of it so now its binned, i didnt know it was fake
ssad.gif

have to buy a 15 pan refill now to hold em all in LMAO

redambition

just seeing all these suspected fakes coming out in different colours with absolutely perfect pots has started me wondering...

i am wondering if counterfeiters have been able to get a hold of real MAC pots and are using them? they seem absolutely picture perfect, right down to the embossing.

i am itching to get my hands on a fake one just to give it a really good analysis next to a real one.

drebaby

Quote:
heres a pic of front and back after depotting
look_divine - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

from left to right
Carbon A97 Mac Counter Purchase
Goldmine A97 Ebay Purchase
Swimming B26 Ebay Purchase
Shimmermoss A37 Ebay Purchase
Steamy A67 Ebay Purchase
Please note on pic swimming is the only one that has a indented back

thats the same swimming i have from ebay..i had a feeling it was fake but i ended up just leaving it alone.

so is it possible 2 different colors have the same number? i was wondering as my passionate refill i got from the counter has the same number as the orange refill i got from ebay.

erine1881

they are definately fakes if they have the indented backs. that's what happens when you buy off ebay. the only way to be 100% sure that you get the real deal is to buy them directly from mac.

wolfsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebaby
thats the same swimming i have from ebay..i had a feeling it was fake but i ended up just leaving it alone.

so is it possible 2 different colors have the same number? i was wondering as my passionate refill i got from the counter has the same number as the orange refill i got from ebay.

Yes, the number is just the batch code:

First digit: A= 1st batch made that month, B= 2nd batch made that month etc.
Second digit: Means the month it was made 1= Jan, up to 9= Sept, A= Oct, B= Nov, C= Dec.
Third digit: Means the year it was made 2= 2002, 7= 2007 etc.

So its perfectly okay to have 2 'A67' eyeshadows of different shades - for example - because it just means they were made in the same month and year (and both come from the first batch - ive only seen a few 'B' batch codes).

panda0410

Quote:
well i was told the eye shadows and pigments i purchased off closetmustgo were fake, now im unsure
ssad.gif
as all hers have smooth back on the pans

not everything closetmustgo is selling is fake - I actually believe she has a mix and probably has no idea which are real and which are not, she probably doesnt even check...

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
just seeing all these suspected fakes coming out in different colours with absolutely perfect pots has started me wondering...

i am wondering if counterfeiters have been able to get a hold of real MAC pots and are using them? they seem absolutely picture perfect, right down to the embossing.

i am itching to get my hands on a fake one just to give it a really good analysis next to a real one.

I have a budding beauty that one source sent me who is saying he didn't - PM your address and I'll send it to you. Am just sending a couple to Panda - the more people who can look at them the better.
Julie

elleread

We really need to get an answer from MAC direct about the indented pans -this seems to be the most easily identifiable feature. They really should be more keen to crack down on whoever is supplying these!
It's true that the pots in particular are very good- not the boxes though, they are slightly off. Yeah, I wonder if they got some real MAC pots somehow... scary!

Xqueeze_me

Quote:
We really need to get an answer from MAC direct about the indented pans -this seems to be the most easily identifiable feature. They really should be more keen to crack down on whoever is supplying these!

So my first purchase was 3 fake MAC pigments but thankfully got a full refund including postage!!

I wrote to MAC regarding fake pigments last year and they replied:
Quote:
Dear Ms. Xqueeze_me,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Mac.

While pleased you enjoy Mac products, we regret to learn of your
disappointment with a recent purchase. We appreciate the opportunity to explain that our products are only distributed for sale at our authorised retail store accounts, or at our free-standing stores. Products purchased at one of our authorised accounts are genuine Mac merchandise of recent production. Ebay is not one of our accounts, and we therefore have no way of knowing how they obtained our products. We trust you can understand that we are unable to assume responsibility for unauthorized representation of our product.

As background information, Mac Cosmetics never sanctions the discounting of our product. Mac genuine product is only available at the recommended retail price from our online store at M·A·C Cosmetics or via our 15 authorised outlets in Australia, which are listed on our website.

We do thank you for brining this unauthorised seller to our attention and assure you that this information has been passed on to the relevant department.

Once again, thank you for this opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Sincerely,

A. H.
Consumer Communications

That was almost 10 months ago. I've again sent in complains about fake MAC and how they're not cracking down the fakers but they never replied. *sighs*

elleread

Well, fortunately charleyandemily was good enough to refund me for the three *suspect* shadows!
She maintains they're real- but I think she will take a closer look and maybe question her suppliers now.
I haven't had a reply from MAC consumer communications yet though...!
ssad.gif

julie150463

Have had an email from MAC about the indented pans. They have not committed themselves either way but want me to send one to them for analysis in their Quality Assurance Laboratories.

Hopefully we'll have that answer soon
yes.gif

amber_j

Quote:
Well, fortunately charleyandemily was good enough to refund me for the three *suspect* shadows!
She maintains they're real- but I think she will take a closer look and maybe question her suppliers now.
I haven't had a reply from MAC consumer communications yet though...!
ssad.gif

elleread - I've had 2 e/s from charleyandemily that seem genuine. Everything's where it should be, the colours look right etc. I've done comparisons with 2 e/s I bought from the MAC counter in Selfridges. Is it possible some of their stock is the real thing, but other items are fake? TIA!