The Dupe Thread: If you have... you don't really need...

~Maemi~

Re: Recommended MAC dupes

Please note I am not claiming these will give you the exact same color, these are just recommendations given by MAC. I know some of them do sound a bit off. If anyone can do comparison pics that would be really helpful!

clamster

I messaged MAC about a dupe for gold mode pigment and they said honey lust e/s.... Nooo way they are totally different LOL. IMO
I wouldn't say Neutral Pink = Pen n Pink, pen n pink is close to a white pink color that is rather boring.
For the s Smoking Eyes Quad = I would say shroom would be better than phloof because it is less frosty.

I can swatch Lollipop Lovin = Sandy B later today.... & honey lust and gold mode pigment

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Maemi~
Thanks MAC_Whore!! Sorry didnt see this existing thread

No worries.
winks.gif

FiestyFemme

Re: If you have...you don't really need....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocodivatime
Oh my goodness really? i think i have star violet in a premade palette from the holiday but i have to check.
If so this is great news b-cuz cranberry was on my list.......but not anymore if they are similar. wahoo. thanks!

I think it depends on your skintone. I'm fair, and Cranberry and Star Violet are way different on me. Cranberry is obviously more, well, cranberry... it's reddish, while Star Violet is brighter and more purple. I use them with different colors and looks, and I don't find them interchangeable at all!

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Maemi~
Please note I am not claiming these will give you the exact same color, these are just recommendations given by MAC. I know some of them do sound a bit off. If anyone can do comparison pics that would be really helpful!

I don't agree with a lot of those. I think maybe they named the closest things they could think of, but I wouldn't consider them "dupes". Just similar at best.

Sweexy985

so does gulf stream really = shimmermoss? Cuz I really want Gulf Stream, but I have and love shimmermoss and I'm not gonna get something I can dupe.

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweexy985
so does gulf stream really = shimmermoss? Cuz I really want Gulf Stream, but I have and love shimmermoss and I'm not gonna get something I can dupe.

Gulf Stream has more green in it, while Shimmermoss has more white. You probably do not need both, but if you can get GS -- do it!!

shesparkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAlphaKitty
Hiya...
If I already have PARADISCO (frost - Soft bright pinky-coral with golden shimmer),
do I need EXPENSIVE PINK? (Veluxe Pearl - Pink with gold duochrome)

same color, different finish?

I think they're pretty different, Expensive Pink is too orange on me. Maybe a question of which one works depending on how warm/cool you are.

DixieHellcat

I had GS, but I found that blending Aquavert & Cool Heat looks nearly identical...so I swapped for another CH, because I looove it so. hehe

Just saw a post at MUA that Loreal HIP Jelly Balms l/g are very similar to tendertones...may have to investigate that. Not sure if I can link to the post but it's here on the MUA makeup board:

rp--Pics----HIP Jelly Balms...TenderTone dupes ROP
posted by chix_nuggets
6/28/2008 11:49AM

ETA--I bought a Jelly Balm in Succulent--it's not bad, seems not quite as moist as the Tendertones, a little waxier, but all right for half the price. lol. Here it is swatched with the only 2 Tendertones I currently own. (click to make it big)

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweexy985

On my hand they are nearly identical. I guess it just depends.

Tsunami Rose

I think that if you have Graphology you don't need Meet The Fleet.

They are both matte's.

Graphology is a taaaaaaaaaaaaaaad bit darker than MTF. And MTF is a taaaaaaad bit more blueish than graphology.

Even though the MAC website says MTF is a blue, I swear its a purple. LOL.

DixieHellcat

I stumbled into an ebay auction with like 3 minutes left & am now the proud owner of a Strawbaby l/s, BNIB. It's a gorgeous color, but I don't want to use it! LOL. How stupid, it's the only thing in my tiny stash I feel this way about. Guess it's the thought of sticking this shiny new thing up to my lips & then...it's not shiny & new any more. Anyway-- Earlier in this thread somebody talked about a mix of 2 things that produced a similar color, but neither of them sound familiar. So in short, is there any lip thing, MAC or otherwise, that is about the same color as Strawbaby?

Thanking y'all in advance for your kindness to a noob.
smiles.gif

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamster
I messaged MAC about a dupe for gold mode pigment and they said honey lust e/s.... Nooo way they are totally different LOL. IMO
I wouldn't say Neutral Pink = Pen n Pink, pen n pink is close to a white pink color that is rather boring.
For the s Smoking Eyes Quad = I would say shroom would be better than phloof because it is less frosty.

I can swatch Lollipop Lovin = Sandy B later today.... & honey lust and gold mode pigment

I think Jardin Aires and Gold Mode are pretty similar. JA is slightly chunkier, but color payoff the same.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Can anyone tell me how similar Bang On Blue (C-Shock), Cobalt (Pro) and Atlantic Blue (Pro) are to each other? That would be great.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAlphaKitty
Hiya...
If I already have PARADISCO (frost - Soft bright pinky-coral with golden shimmer),
do I need EXPENSIVE PINK? (Veluxe Pearl - Pink with gold duochrome)

same color, different finish?

I read somewhere someone describing 'expensive pink' should've been named 'expensive peach'... which is what I imagine to be approaching soft pinky coral
th_dunno.gif

It actually doesn't look at all pink on me ( NW 45ish); it looks gold with a faint hint of peach. I'm sure I even imagined the peachy look, LOL.

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
Can anyone tell me how similar Bang On Blue (C-Shock), Cobalt (Pro) and Atlantic Blue (Pro) are to each other? That would be great.

Oooh, I second this request.