Theme Makeup with a Purpose

MAChostage

Hysterical!!
My favorite look from last week was applied with great care, albeit amateur technique. Nevertheless I gave it may all. The irony here, and for certain, the comedy of it all was resounding. I ran errands feeling put together, as we all do when we put a bit of extra effort into the process. While out and about I ran into an individual whom I hadn't seen for quite some time. We exchanged greetings, and then she said the nicest and most profound things about me. It was very moving. AND then...it happened! The unthinkable. She moved toward me in what seemed like slow motion. I was frozen with fear because I sensed what was about to happen...and then it did! She reached out and grabbed my face, squeezing my cheeks the way you would caress the cheeks of a toddler. It seemed like a lifetime as she squeezed...my face moved back & forth in her ample hands. Movements seemed slow and voices seemed loud. I was speechless because all I could think about was the time that I had taken to apply my makeup. We said our goodbyes as she walked away with my carefully applied face in her hands. I erupted in hysterical laughter, keeping my face down as I hurried to my car.
th_roll1.gif

The Look:
EYES:
Painterly PP to lids
Aloha pigment to lid (moistened # 215)
Rule above Crease
NARS Galapagos to crease, blended upward & into rule
Rice Paper to brows
DipDown fluidline topped with Embark to line upper lids
NARS Galapagos to lower lash line
Feline close to lash line

FACE:
Face & Body
P & P Light Boost Highlighter in triangle below eyes, set w/Ben Nye Powder, Banana (applied with 116 Brush)
Copper Beach to contour (applied with 163 Brush), Shadowy Sculpting powder over Copper Beach(109 brush)
HiddenTreasure blush ( (applied with 128 Brush)
MSF Redhead to high-points (applied with 130 Brush)
MSF natural (applied with 129 Brush) to finish the look
Fix+ to set

LIPS:
Lasting Sensation lip pencil to line & fill
Saigon Summer l/s

Medgal07

I called some MAC counters on the east coast to find the old blush palettes. (MY OCD wants everything in the same case).LOL The sales person gave me the number to a Belk's in North Carolina that had them. Let me know if you need the number.
Oh my gosh. I missed this post. I would love that phone number. I like the old blush and eye shadow palettes. I have my 10 eye shadow palettes sorted by color family, each shadow is labeled and each palette is numbered. I have one new eye shadow palette that I did deliberately purchase for my pro longwear eyeshadows which are larger. I removed the insert, which I know I didn't have to get at all. I have three full old-style blush palettes. The old ones just fit nicely into my makeup setup. Did you mention OCD.....feels & sounds so familiar!
girlhaha.gif

PrettyGirlDoc

Oh my gosh.  I missed this post. I would love that phone number.  I like the old blush and eye shadow palettes.  I have my 10 eye shadow palettes sorted by color family, each shadow is labeled and each palette is numbered.  I have one new eye shadow palette that I did deliberately purchase for my pro longwear eyeshadows which are larger.  I removed the insert, which I know I didn't have to get at all.  I have three full old-style blush palettes.  The old ones just fit nicely into my makeup setup.  Did you mention OCD.....feels & sounds so familiar!    :haha:
LOL Call 704-364-4251. Ask for the Mac counter . This the Belk in Charlotte NC

aradhana

hi! sorry guys, i forgot the name of this thread...so i didn't know where to look....i'm glad i found you guys again!

i'm trying to finish a face and body mineralize lotion, and i need to depot some eyeshadows, since i recently bought a 15 palette.

the looks you ladies have been posting sound fab, and very inspiring!

as for my fall looks, i've been sleeping in very often the last little while and cutting short my makeup time! no good. so...hopefully for next monday i'll have something good to report!

Medgal07

hi! sorry guys, i forgot the name of this thread...so i didn't know where to look....i'm glad i found you guys again!

i'm trying to finish a face and body mineralize lotion, and i need to depot some eyeshadows, since i recently bought a 15 palette.

the looks you ladies have been posting sound fab, and very inspiring!

as for my fall looks, i've been sleeping in very often the last little while and cutting short my makeup time! no good. so...hopefully for next monday i'll have something good to report!
th_welcomeback2.png
Hi aradhana! Good luck with your depotting. Have you decided what you're getting when you B2M?

Medgal07

I managed to complete a full-sized Fix + this week. That along with five blushes that I recently depotted has me well on my way to B2Ming again.
My favorite look within the past 7 days was inspired by a cold fall evening in which the sky was the darkest blue and filled with stars.

Navy Smokey Look

EYES:
Imaginary PP to lids
Starless Night pigment to lid (moistened # 215)
Brown Script e/s above Crease
Mystery to crease, blended upward & into Brown Script
Waveline Fluidline to upper & lower lids, close to lash-lines
Rice Paper to brow highlight

FACE:
Face & Body
P & P Light Boost Highlighter in triangle below eyes, set w/Ben Nye Powder, Banana (applied with 116 Brush)
Copper Beach to contour (applied with 163 Brush), Shadowy Sculpting powder over Copper Beach(109 brush)
Eternal Sunshine blush ( (applied with 128 Brush)
MSF Redhead to high-points (applied with 130 Brush)
MSF natural (applied with 129 Brush) to finish the look
Fix+ to set

LIPS:
Cork lip liner
Pure Zen l/s

Nails:
China Glaze Skyscraper (dark blue w/glitter)

CartoonChic

That look sounds so, so pretty, Medgal. I'm going to try to recreate something similar using products that I have. How do you line your lower lash line with Fluidline? I haven't tried to line my lower lash line with anything yet. I'm not sure if I'll get close enough. I'm still afraid of poking my eye.

CartoonChic

I don't have a favorite look to post. I did a couple of nice looks last week, but nothing to make me want to post about it. I absolutely loved the Bad Mama Jama Lip Tar combo I did, but I haven't created a whole look for it yet.

Medgal07

That look sounds so, so pretty, Medgal. I'm going to try to recreate something similar using products that I have. How do you line your lower lash line with Fluidline? I haven't tried to line my lower lash line with anything yet. I'm not sure if I'll get close enough. I'm still afraid of poking my eye.
Very carefully! I totally avoid my waterline, and I use my 210/211 to apply product just under my lower lashes. For this particular look I allowed the Fluidline to dry and then put Mystery e/s beneath the Fluidline. I smoked that out with my 219 brush.

Medgal07

I don't have a favorite look to post. I did a couple of nice looks last week, but nothing to make me want to post about it. I absolutely loved the Bad Mama Jama Lip Tar combo I did, but I haven't created a whole look for it yet.
How are you doing with your efforts to use up some of your products?

CartoonChic

How are you doing with your efforts to use up some of your products?
I'm not making much progress. I want to use up lipgolsses, but I haven't been reaching for them to wear. Over Indulgence is the first MAC lipgloss I purchased. That one is just about at the end of its rope. I'll make an effort to wear it this week.

CartoonChic

I attempted to recreate Medgal's Navy Smokey look. I like it! It's a more adult look and I feel made up.

Navy Smokey Look Variation

EYES

• NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
  • NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil 627 Cobalt - lid base color
  • NARS Okinawa Eye Shadow - navy blue color to lid (239 Brush) and to smudge eyeliner (214 Brush)
  • MAC Mineralize Eye Shadow Sky - sparkly navy blue color over navy blue eye shadow (239 Brush)
  • MAC Eye Shadow Moth Brown - purple-grey color to crease (226 Brush)
  • MAC Extra Dimension Eye Shadow Tall, Dark & Handsome - dark grey color to darken outer V (226 Brush)
  • MAC Eye Shadow Sparkle Neely, Sparkle! - transition color blended above crease (224 Brush)
  • MAC Eye Shadow Creamy Bisque - cream color brow highlight (214 Brush)
  • MAC Eye Shadow Jaunty- tear duct highlight (219 Brush)
  • MAC Fluidline Waveline - dark blue eyeliner to upper and lower lash line (211, 266 Brushes)
  • Black Mascara

FACE

• NARS Blush Luster - bronze color to cheeks (129 Brush), facial highlight (130 Brush)
  • NARS Blush Gina - peach color over Luster on cheeks (129 Brush)
  • NARS Blush Lovejoy - countour (128 Brush)
  • Fix+ - sprayed over blush to bring out color, then blush reapplied

LIPS

• MAC Prep+Prime Lip
  • MAC Lip Pencil Cork - brown lip pencil to outline lips
  • MAC Lipstick Pure Zen - nude beige color
  • MAC Cremesheen Glass Over Indulgence - neutral brown peach color

NAILS

• Chanel Delight - bronze polish
(I cheated with the nail polish. They were already painted for Thanksgiving, but I thought the color still worked with the look.)

I learned so much from trying to recreate Medgal's look. I don't think I would've tried these colors on my own since it's a darker look than what I'm used to doing. I had to improvise like crazy with the eye products. My eye shadow collection isn't extensive, and I seem to have more green eye shadows than any other color. The navy blue shadows I used are the only ones that I have. I bought the NARS Okinawa eye shadow at the same time I bought my NARS Taj Mahal blush last year and never used it.

I also realize I don't have a transition shadow for my skin tone. Sparkle Neely, Sparkle! is the closest thing I have. I think I would've wanted to use something without shimmer. I also like how adding the brown transition warmed up the eye and made everything look more polished. I think I should've used the 217 brush to apply the transition instead of the 224. The 224 may be too big for my eye area because the transition color went up to my eye brow. What brushes do you use for the brow highlight?

OK, the eyeliner was an issue. Things went horribly wrong trying to line my lower lash line. I kept expecting a pencil thin line. I kept getting a thick, smudgy mess. I used the 211 and 266 brushes. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking the line should be very thin? I ended up smudging the navy blue eye shadow over the liner. No idea if it looks right or not.

How do you use Fix+ to set? I sprayed some directly on my cheeks to bring out the color and too much came out. It was running down my face. I held it at a distance and tapped the nozzle lightly. I tried to contour again and no idea if I did it right. Lovejoy probably wasn't the best choice for a contour. It has a bit of red in it, so it didn't completely create a shadow effect. I also used the 128 brush this time. I like the size and shape of it for contouring. Which side is synthetic and which is natural?

Medgal07

I'll give it a shot!

I'm not making much progress. I want to use up lipgolsses, but I haven't been reaching for them to wear. Over Indulgence is the first MAC lipgloss I purchased. That one is just about at the end of its rope. I'll make an effort to wear it this week.
That's a great start!
cheerleader.gif

Medgal07

How do you use Fix+ to set? I sprayed some directly on my cheeks to bring out the color and too much came out. It was running down my face. LOL
lmao.gif
I held it at a distance and tapped the nozzle lightly. I tried to contour again and no idea if I did it right. Lovejoy probably wasn't the best choice for a contour. It has a bit of red in it, so it didn't completely create a shadow effect. I also used the 128 brush this time. I like the size and shape of it for contouring. Which side is synthetic and which is natural? A little Fix+ is all you need for the entire face, and it's best spritzed as you said, from a distance, and as evenly over the face as possible. Too much could alter (cough...ruin) your look. I previously used Blunt blush to contour...I would apply Take Root (LE ?) CCB and top that with Blunt. I currently use a PRO Sculpting cream (Copper Beach or Richly Honed) topped with Shadowy PRO Sculpting powder to contour, and I love it. I find the 128 a little too large for me to handle for contouring. I use the either the 109 or the 168 to contour. I like the 128 Split Fibre brush best for applying foundation or blush. The light side is synthetic fiber and the dark side is natural fiber. I like to apply a cream blush with the synthetic side and top the cream blush with a powder blush, using the natural (goat hair) side of the brush. I found this video which provides suggested uses for the 128; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuX1LpE3-H0
This is pretty amazing! I am so not comfortable creating a look unless I have the exact products, which is silly and reflective of my own insecurities. You did really very well!
ok.gif

glammy girl

i didnt wear much makeup this week, was at home most of the week and when I did go out, I just had on black eyeliner and mascara so sadly I dont have a favorite look to post...
ssad.gif
but I think I'm getting close to finishing my Studio Fix Fluid Foundation, yay! Medgal your look sounds amazing, Im sure you looked stunning and Cartoon Chic is also inspiring me to recreate your blue smokey eye lol.

CartoonChic

This is pretty amazing! I am so not comfortable creating a look unless I have the exact products, which is silly and reflective of my own insecurities. You did really very well!
ok.gif

You did really well!! To this day, I struggle with creating a look when I don't have the exact products...and my eye shadow collection is quite extensive.
Added...green seems to be one of your favorite colors, if not the favorite color ( recent purchase of several green nail polishes)...which green eye shadows do you have? I'm going to try a green smokey eye soon.
Thanks! All I did was google the products you mentioned then picked similar colors in my stash. Believe it or not, green is not my favorite color. It's actually one of my least favorite colors. But you're right, I have been buying a lot of green colored items lately. I even bought a green dress that I love. Weird!

I do think green is my favorite eye shadow color because it really compliments my brown eyes. Here's what I have so far:

MAC Jealousy Wakes
MAC Steamy (this one is missing)
MAC Feeling Fresh
MAC Surf USA
MAC Guacamole
MAC Robin's Egg
MAC MES Water
MAC EDES Divine Blue
L'Oreal Infallible Endless Sea
L'Oreal Infallible Golden Emerald

After I did the blue smokey eye look yesterday, I immediately thought I want to try it again with a green smokey eye. Guess what I did today?

CartoonChic

i didnt wear much makeup this week, was at home most of the week and when I did go out, I just had on black eyeliner and mascara so sadly I dont have a favorite look to post...
ssad.gif
but I think I'm getting close to finishing my Studio Fix Fluid Foundation, yay! Medgal your look sounds amazing, Im sure you looked stunning and Cartoon Chic is also inspiring me to recreate your blue smokey eye lol.
Go for it! I learned a lot from doing it and it's a really pretty look.

Medgal07

ssad.gif
th_sign_woot.gif
to near product completion. I'm trying to use up foundation too. I have three - four open and in use, so now I'm working on one at a time.
The Navy look was fun. I hope you will try it. I take photos of all of my looks but I'm too shy (spelled c-h-i-c-k-e-n) to post them. The pics help me to improve on the looks and/or just catalog them for future reference because sometimes I just create the look as I go along.

Latest posts