Theme Makeup with a Purpose

MissTT

sorry i tried to write a response earlier this afternoon but the internet ate it...in any case, i think i misunderstood and took your comment to be related to body shape/type as opposed to size/weight. i do know exactly what you mean...some people are genuine, but other make comments/compliments that just feel like thinly veiled insults, and you know the difference when you hear it.
iagree.gif
with that entirely.

regarding your peach corrector...i use that sometimes too...do you have the 'solid' format, or the liquid pen? i have the latter. i don't have a patchiness problem with it, but i do have to apply concealer on top to 'bring back the colour' because it's a little light.

so i tried out some pastel today! i wore moss garden crushed pigment on the lid, with newly minted in the crease, minted pencil to line top and bottom and surf usa to set...and a smidge of sassygrass in the outer corners. my face brushes were all wet, so i didn't really wear any blush, just dotted a bit of bronze hero lustre drops and mineralize skinfinish in medium dark and ran out the door...it was simple but i liked how light it felt...
Yep you got it! Apparently my size/weight is appropriate for public fodder.

I have the pan BB Corrector and while I like the color the formula is just ick. I moisturized w/ Bobbi Brown eye cream and/or used primer and it's still patchy. It's especially bad b/c you need to put concealer over it. Do you use the Tinted Eye Brightener? I swear it was OOS at Nordstrom when I purchased a few weeks back. What formula of concealer do you use over the Brightener?

sagehen

It's always giggle when we share out-of-theme looks b/c they made us feel good that day. Remember, simple can be simply beautiful. Sounds like a you had a gorgeous glow. Brava on finishing up a powder!
This is true - and it still fits the "purpose" of using up product.

aradhana

WeLl TT, I found that when the BB artist tried the pan format on me, it looked good at the time, then later it looked cakey. I think you are right, mine is the tinted eye brightener. I use liquid concealers over - sometimes mac select cover or mineralize, other times MUFE... But it's been a while since I've reached for it. I think if I am going for a look of the highlight under the eye, it might make sense to not even use a concealer over top because I don't think it was THAT light, but I only started doing the under eye highlight triangle recently. I guess since you have banana powder you could use that to set...?

Prettypackages

OHHHH I love the idea of sharing looks. I'm such a jeans/tshirt girl, but I do/am trying to develop my style. I'm also overweight so cute clothes will help me stay focused.

MissTT you were sharp that day. Love the whole look.

I had issues with the BB corrector and concealer. While the concealer was the perfect color, it didn't last and I agree it got cakey. I'm using the eye brightener without major problems right now. But I don't think it corrects as nicely as the corrector.

I did my makeup yesterday,b/c there was a guy staring at me on my first train. Not staring at me like he was interested, but staring at me like, hey you're cute, notice me kind of obnoxious way. I don't know why that inspired me but I put my makeup on, on my second train. . (I've been dying to come on and tell you what I wore but I have been having computer issues)

Eyes:
Quite Cute Quad:
boycrazy (light lavender) lid
azuki bean (dakr lavender?) outer lid corner and into crease (my version of this anyway)
espresso in the crease ( I love this brown and saddle that's about it for regular browns for me)
Outre to transition ;-) (camel brown?)
Moshi Moshi to hilight (shimmery white)

OMG, I LOVED IT!!!!

Face
NARS TM in Seychelles
BB eye brightener
Nars CC Amande/Caramel
MAC EDSF Blush in blazing haute (I don't get a huge color pay off, bt a glow when I use this. I could've have picked a better blush, but this is what I had at the time)

Lips
Lavender Whip baby! LOL

MissTT

When I was reading those eyes I just knew you were wearing Lavender Whip. So was the guy on the 2nd train, too? What happened? What did you wear? Ahhhh!!!!
th_happy1.gif

I love clothing much more than makeup so every once in awhile I want to share a dress or some shoes. I've got an event on Sunday so I'll probably share my dress with ya'll if I can find it online. Or perhaps I should take a full body pic. We'll see. PP, dressing nice makes me feel better and I like to encourage it in others. I loved jeans for many years and you can easily make jeans look nice. I just always made sure to wear dark washes as they're the most flattering. The easiest dress up jean outfit is dark skinny denim, knee high black boots, and a black top. It's instant chic and hard to mess up. A bold accessory like a statement necklace or scarf can be thrown in for extra effect. Now I wear polka dot and colored denim. In my head I look cute so that's all that matters. LOL Mostly though I like to wear dresses. A nice A-line glides effortlessly over hips so you don't look lumpy. Really flattering if you want to accentuate your waist. Also a dress is a ready made outfit so you don't have to worry about separate pieces. It's another way to look pulled together with minimal effort.

Crap! I had a feeling the Eye Brightener wasn't as pigmented. I wonder what I can do about my corrector. I really need it for my hyperpigmentation. It always ruins my looks. I actually feel happier when its less noticeable.

aradhana

pp that sounds very pretty. pale purples and brown! love it!

i wear dresses or skirts pretty much every day. i basically don't wear pants due to body shape...they're too difficult to shop for, and dresses suit me well. it means people perceive me sometimes as being always 'dressed up' but most of the time casual wear just makes me look too sloppy/frumpy, so i don't have much of a choice in the matter!

MissTT

Other people's idea of dressed up always cracks me up. I'm usually accused of being dressed up even when I'm wearing jeans. It takes just as much effort for me to dress "up" as it takes others to dress down. You should see me stressing trying to dress to other people's level. It's frustrating and sometimes I have to go out and buy something if I want to fit into that bubble. I'm uncomfortable being dressed down or frumpy in public.

A skirt isn't necessarily dressed up to me, but you are the perfect example of how it makes people think you made a lot of effort. Really, you threw on a matching bottom just like anyone else would with pants. You just utilized a single leg hole. Dresses and skirts can be more comfortable b/c they're often less restrictive. In the summer a dress is much cooler than shorts. You can get a breeze. It's smart and practical dressing, not dressed up.

Prettypackages

Thank you for the compliments.

TT The guy was not on the second train, but I've heard his conversations before and he seems like a pompous jerk. So I was thinking to myself "why is he looking at me". Same thing happened on the way home. THere was another guy staring, and I couldn't figure out why. Then I thought he probably just wanted me to notice him. He is the type that's gorgeous and knows it. salt n pepper hair, works out, fit, expensive clothes, but I can tell from conversations very vain, stuck up and an ass. I know chubby ol' me is not their type.. (Serioulsy, people watch what you say on the train and while on the phone. LOL )

I recently had a friend tell me I need to stop wearing jeans b/c it looks like I just get up and throw my clothes on. sometimes I do, but I even do that with dress pants. She spent two hours telling me how to change my look, even my hair and shoes. I know it was from a good place, but it was so out of the blue. B/c of past experiences when stuff like that happens, I'm like have y'all been talking about me? LOL. She took me shopping last year before or trip to Miami, and had me in Rainbow, discovery, and conway... I'm like no, can't do it. LOL She had ok ideas, some of the stuff, I was not ready for. I don't dress up b/c I don't want to stand out or have that attention. But why am I hiding? I also don't like fussy clothes where you have to alwys make sure everything is laying right. But I'm tired of looking unkept. But we've talked about this before. I won't go there.
TT I prefer the dressed up look. My office is casual, which in the suburbs means, flip flops, too thin leggings with short tops, tight clothes with rolls showing (even if you have one, it's still a roll), tank tops with bra straps showing, someone even came in with a halter dress on. Jogging pants, sweat shirts, hair all over their heads, and etc... they always say, why dress up? I'm only going to work, there's no one here to dress up for. UH, dress up for me. Please. I'm tired of seeing that mess. LOL I try to be decent (apparently not good enough anymore) b/c my train goes to downtown. Never know if I might decide to meet up with friends or go to an event at the last minute.

MissTT

Thank you for the compliments.

TT The guy was not on the second train, but I've heard his conversations before and he seems like a pompous jerk. So I was thinking to myself "why is he looking at me". Same thing happened on the way home. THere was another guy staring, and I couldn't figure out why. Then I thought he probably just wanted me to notice him. He is the type that's gorgeous and knows it. salt n pepper hair, works out, fit, expensive clothes, but I can tell from conversations very vain, stuck up and an ass. I know chubby ol' me is not their type.. (Serioulsy, people watch what you say on the train and while on the phone. LOL )
Swoon! Don't mind me. I'm in some kind of way right now and thinking about dating.
And yes people are ridiculous with their public conversations. I get real quiet when I'm on the phone in public and try to keep it short. I suppose I might be different if I lived in a commuter environment like you, but right now I value my privacy too much. I'm sure you've got the right idea about him based on his asinine conversations, but listen: don't sell yourself short. Sure you might be chubby, but that doesn't mean somebody can't be attracted to you. A lot of attraction is based on that special something. You probably give off something that just draws people. I'm not sure what it is or how to describe it. It's charisma, aura, confidence, something. I had a friend who wasn't traditionally beautiful, but I've noticed when we go out people are very attracted to her. And strange people. My friend is 42, dark skin, natural hair, small up top and big on bottom, and just generally Afro-centric. We live in an area that is only 5% Black yet white men from their late 20's on up have approached her when I've been with her. (Of course some black men, too.) These are men who would typically be intimidated by someone like her. Yet somehow she attracts attention and holds it. Listen to the New Kids on the Block. You got the right stuff!

I recently had a friend tell me I need to stop wearing jeans b/c it looks like I just get up and throw my clothes on. sometimes I do, but I even do that with dress pants. She spent two hours telling me how to change my look, even my hair and shoes. I know it was from a good place, but it was so out of the blue. B/c of past experiences when stuff like that happens, I'm like have y'all been talking about me? LOL. She took me shopping last year before or trip to Miami, and had me in Rainbow, discovery, and conway... I'm like no, can't do it. LOL She had ok ideas, some of the stuff, I was not ready for. I don't dress up b/c I don't want to stand out or have that attention. But why am I hiding? I also don't like fussy clothes where you have to alwys make sure everything is laying right. But I'm tired of looking unkept. But we've talked about this before. I won't go there.
TT I prefer the dressed up look. My office is casual, which in the suburbs means, flip flops, too thin leggings with short tops, tight clothes with rolls showing (even if you have one, it's still a roll), tank tops with bra straps showing, someone even came in with a halter dress on. Jogging pants, sweat shirts, hair all over their heads, and etc... they always say, why dress up? I'm only going to work, there's no one here to dress up for. UH, dress up for me. Please. I'm tired of seeing that mess. LOL I try to be decent (apparently not good enough anymore) b/c my train goes to downtown. Never know if I might decide to meet up with friends or go to an event at the last minute.
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm sure it was really hurtful to feel like your friends were talking about you behind your back. When someone tries to make you completely over it feels like they don't love who you are. Rainbow? She had your grown ass in kiddie stores.
PP this is how I approach it. Each year I choose something different about me (physically) to work on to increase my confidence. One year (or 3 lol) I was addicted to jeans, one year it was finally going to the derm to get my skin under control, last year it was work clothes that make me happy, and more recently it's been makeup. I find it easier to focus on one thing at a time and perfect it. As your virtual friend here's where I'd have you start. Since you like jeans focus on finding the perfect jeans. Now this important. THEY WILL COST MONEY. Maybe more than $100. I know it sounds crazy, but you're looking for the one. Once you find it I could always help you find them cheaper elsewhere. I'm really good at that. Remember when you never thought you'd spend $20 on blush? Things change. ;) If I get to Chicago this summer we will be on a quest for flattering dark denim. Looking and feeling frumpy messes with your head and confidence. I want that to change. I want you to feel good. I know it's hard not to fall into the trap of the people around you (leggings, tank tops, flip flops), but please keep working on you. Like you said you go downtown and you don't want to look dusty. You never know who you will meet or what job it will lead to. How you look/dress does impact your life. It's immature to say otherwise.

Sigh and what happened to pants???? I'm so TIRED of seeing leggings on everyone. I've even seen people's booties through the flimsy fabric.

aradhana

i'm for some reason unable to quote right now....

my office is pretty casual, but i found when i dropped to the level that everyone else dressed at, i felt horrible about myself. so i went back to wearing what i feel good in. same thing with makeup. the women at my office rarely wear makeup, so i tried doing that and felt frumpy. no can do!

i saw someone's bootie too just yesterday on the way to the subway...i kind of wanted to tell to go home and put on a longer top or at least wear different underwear, but she was with her kid, and probably taking them to daycare, and i didn't want to stress her out...

pp - don't be too critical of yourself. these guys are probably looking at you because they find you attractive...chubby/thin doesn't have to have an impact on whether people find you cute/attractive! i agree with TT. if you feel comfortable in jeans, you should wear them. jeans can look very sharp...and it's just as attractive to look 'done up' as it is to look 'effortless'. just make sure you feel good about yourself in whatever you wear!

TXBeautyBaby

Hi ladies, I've been reading this thread and I finally have the courage to join. I love that its more than just makeup especially since im at a turning moment in my life. I'm graduating in a week and I'm trying to find a job in NYC because its my dream city. Anyho I have a pretty big collection, to me at least lol and I really want to start using it. I will def start going through my stash and look for pastels.

sagehen

Welcome to the thread, congrats on the graduation, and have fun. I know jobs are hard to find everywhere, but if you can find a job and a decent place to live, I would give the NYC dream a go. I lived there for a few years and LOVED it and miss it so bad. I hope you can experience it. It's like nowhere on earth.

Medgal07

It's a possibility for some people, but I've been dealing with thin-shaming for many years so in the instances I was thinking of when I was writing weren't making me feel positive. Issues with being thin and/or pretty aren't popular to talk about so a lot of us have to just internalize our hurt feelings over the barrage of rude remarks, body snarking, and questions about mental health issues e.g. eating disorders. I've had friends like you who understand their own body and accept it, but for the most part I am often isolated and ostracized by women with self-esteem issues. No one deserves that. Anyway, don't want to think about that now. It's depressing and has me thinking about things people in this office have said to me. Interestingly, I don't have too many problems with this among black women outside of my family.
So anyway I was really happy with my outfit yesterday. That dress always puts a smile on my face. The color is fabulous and flattering on my skin. Even got a compliment on it at the grocery store last night.
It's good that you're starting to rise above those negative voices and enjoy the way you look and how nicely you put yourself together---from makeup to outfit--totally awesome and the compliment was even more confirmation of that!

Medgal07

Hi ladies, I've been reading this thread and I finally have the courage to join. I love that its more than just makeup especially since im at a turning moment in my life. I'm graduating in a week and I'm trying to find a job in NYC because its my dream city. Anyho I have a pretty big collection, to me at least lol and I really want to start using it. I will def start going through my stash and look for pastels.
th_hello.gif
TXBeautybaby! Welcome to the thread!! Congratulations on your major milestone & accomplishment and good luck in pursuit of a job in
NYC & fulfilling your dreams. As you go through your stash I hope you'll suggest some looks that we can try too. So glad to have you
here!!!

Medgal07

sorry i tried to write a response earlier this afternoon but the internet ate it...in any case, i think i misunderstood and took your comment to be related to body shape/type as opposed to size/weight. i do know exactly what you mean...some people are genuine, but other make comments/compliments that just feel like thinly veiled insults, and you know the difference when you hear it.
iagree.gif
with that entirely.

regarding your peach corrector...i use that sometimes too...do you have the 'solid' format, or the liquid pen? i have the latter. i don't have a patchiness problem with it, but i do have to apply concealer on top to 'bring back the colour' because it's a little light.

so i tried out some pastel today! i wore moss garden crushed pigment on the lid, with newly minted in the crease, minted pencil to line top and bottom and surf usa to set...and a smidge of sassygrass in the outer corners. my face brushes were all wet, so i didn't really wear any blush, just dotted a bit of bronze hero lustre drops and mineralize skinfinish in medium dark and ran out the door...it was simple but i liked how light it felt...
Aradhana, you're making me want to wear my moss green pigment. Your look sounds really nice!!!

Medgal07

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTT

The quote isn't working but I just want to agree with MissTT. Nuff said because she said it so well. I hope you feel supported here Prettypackages because you are!
grouphug2.gif

aradhana

hello ladies
did a wee look today that i was pleased with, though it wasn't pastel...

eyes:
coil electro cool shadow on lid - copper
superwatt electro cool in crease and a little in inner, lower corner - beige gold
teddy to line lower lid - coppery red brown
tiny bit of brownborder technakohl to line upper outer corner - espresso
black zoom lash

face:
red side of colour corrector from mickey contractor collection
bronze hero lustre drops - bronze
dixie creme blush from illamasqua - coral
improper copper creme colour base - light copper

lips:
funbathing lipstick - purpley bronze

it felt suited to the warm weather, and i enjoyed bringing out the electrocools for a change!

Medgal07

hello ladies
did a wee look today that i was pleased with, though it wasn't pastel...

eyes:
coil electro cool shadow on lid - copper
superwatt electro cool in crease and a little in inner, lower corner - beige gold
teddy to line lower lid - coppery red brown
tiny bit of brownborder technakohl to line upper outer corner - espresso
black zoom lash

face:
red side of colour corrector from mickey contractor collection
bronze hero lustre drops - bronze
dixie creme blush from illamasqua - coral
improper copper creme colour base - light copper

lips:
funbathing lipstick - purpley bronze

it felt suited to the warm weather, and i enjoyed bringing out the electrocools for a change!
Sounds really nice Aradhana! You're making me want to wear copper & bronze ! I think I'll try a pink and bronze & brown look next week. You inspired me!
bouquet.gif

Medgal07

I was feeling very PINK on Saturday and this is the result: EYES: Painterly paint pot (nude beige) PP to lids (# 212)
Paradise Island e/s (Soft warm Pink) to lids (# 215 brush)
Embrace Me e/s (Deep Pink) to crease, then blended (# 275 brush)
Silly e/s (Clean blue-pink) above crease, (# 224 brush)
Blacktrack gel liner to lashline
Estèe Lauder Modern Mercury Highlighter to brows (# 239 brush)
Embrace Me e/s & Blacktrack to lower lash-line ( # 228 brush)
Modern Mercury to inner corners

FACE:
MAC Strobe Cream
Studio Sculpt Foundation, NC 44 ( # 187 brush)
P & P Light Boost Highlighter in triangle below eyes, set w/Ben Nye Powder, Banana (applied with 116 Brush)
Richly Honed SC (applied with 163 Brush), Shadowy (Deep brown matte) Pro Sculpting powder over Richly Honed (227 SE brush)
Prom Princess (Mid-tone Violet Pink) blush ( 128 Brush)
Estèe Lauder Modern Mercury Highlighter to high-points (# 184 Duo Fiber Fan Brush)
NARS Light Reflecting Loose setting powder to finish the look (NARS Yachiyo brush)
Fix + to set

LIPS:
Hip & Happy (Cool Pink) lip pencil to line & fill
Pink Plaid lipstick ( Dirty Blue-pink matte ) (# 318 lip brush)

NAILS: Chanel's 'May' (baby Soft pink) Nail Polish