Theme Makeup with a Purpose

MissTT

I have DDB somewhere in the house. I need to practice with it. I'm not at all good with brows so the DDB is even more tricky. Yours looks really natural and subtle. Good job!

For me personally, I don't think bright, colorful eye shadow is professional. As a woman in business it is distracting and we tend to teach our students that you will not be taken as seriously. I know this isn't the case 100% of the time, but it does fall into general business wardrobe expectations. Conservative, conservative. I don't work with the public and my office is generally forgiving so I can try new things w/o much fuss. However, I don't feel my best if I don't feel professional. Does that make sense?

TXBeautyBaby

Welcome, and tell us how it goes.  What was your major? 
Interview went great but its not a company I can see myself growing in. no benefits or insurance. My major was marketing. Quick question the pastel theme had me thinking about pink popcorn, would it count?

Medgal07

Quick question the pastel theme had me thinking about pink popcorn, would it count?
You'll find something TBB! Totally understand the need for benefits and growth opportunities. Keeping you in my prayers.
Pink Popcorn absolutely counts. I pulled as many 'pastel' items as possible at the beginning of the challenge and Pink Popcorn was one of them.

Medgal07

Thanks for posting that, Yazmin. You definitely made it wearable. I like your brows, too.

I wore Parrot today. To work. Me. Probably won't do that again, but at least I tried it. I tried Lavender Whip for a pastel, but did not like it so I slathered Glamourdaze over it. Didn't quite get in the pastel for the weekend. I'll make it a point to look in my stash tonight to see what's there. I think I have some EDES that would count.
MissTT you might feel more comfortable really sheering-out colors for work---wearing them as lightly as possible.

aradhana

MissTT you might feel more comfortable really sheering-out colors for work---wearing them as lightly as possible.
or just as a liner or something.

my cousin tends to only line her lower lashline for 'everyday'. i'm not sure it actually looks like she's wearing less or less obvious makeup, but it's an interesting take.

MissTT

or just as a liner or something.

my cousin tends to only line her lower lashline for 'everyday'. i'm not sure it actually looks like she's wearing less or less obvious makeup, but it's an interesting take.
I'm not really good at that, but i will try it. Thank you. The good news is most of the time I sit in an office alone and I don't get a lot of traffic. I suppose my co-workers could be giving me side eye, but I haven't heard a peep since I started wearing lipstick and more to the office.

Yazmin

Thanks for posting that, Yazmin. You definitely made it wearable. I like your brows, too.

I wore Parrot today. To work. Me. Probably won't do that again, but at least I tried it. I tried Lavender Whip for a pastel, but did not like it so I slathered Glamourdaze over it. Didn't quite get in the pastel for the weekend. I'll make it a point to look in my stash tonight to see what's there. I think I have some EDES that would count.
I think a brush like the 217 or 224 would be great for applying it as a wash of color. I may try that myself.

MissTT

I didn't wear a pastel look today, but I did do something I was pleased with. I've been wanting to try tinted moisturizer for quite awhile now, however, when I tried the Laura Mercier Oil-free version I immediately got a breakout/clogged pore. Grrr, I hate that! I have really oily skin and am thinking I need to give liquid foundation a rest this summer. (I was previously a Bare Minerals girl.) This morning I decided to make my own tinted moisturizer. I used a sample sunscreen, Supergoop City Serum, and mixed it with an old foundation that has always been too dark, Estee Lauder Doublewear Light 5. The result was awesome. The serum lightened up an unusable foundation and the whole formula was super lightweight on my face. Right now my skin is a bit shiny, but not really oily. I've eliminated the need for primer (an extra layer in the humid weather) and my concealer seemed to go on more easily. I have a couple of foundations I'd like to use up rather than throw away so this will be a great option. I'm going to mix with my daily moisturizer typically, but with straight sunscreen if I know I'm going to be outside.

Hopefully I've found a use for some products I was hesitating to throw out and I will not have foundation separating from my greasy face this summer. It also reduces my stress about color matches.
Anyway at least I meet the theme: makeup with a purpose.

Prettypackages

I've always wanted to try that trick.

I hated ALL tinted moisturizers before the one by Nars. I had the same issues you described. greasy oily zit city face.

to make Parrot work, you should use something like eclair on the lid, and do Parrot on the outer corner into the crease, then blend the crease with a darker brown. I did this again with Daydreamer and LOVED it. I just got my parrot. I'll try it and let you know how it works.

Yazmin, zestful is pretty on you. I'm going to have to start using it soon. I'm so stuck on Eclair right now. (it's easy, slap it on and go).

TXbeauty, at least you are getting interviews and know what you want. it will happen soon.

aradhana

I didn't wear a pastel look today, but I did do something I was pleased with. I've been wanting to try tinted moisturizer for quite awhile now, however, when I tried the Laura Mercier Oil-free version I immediately got a breakout/clogged pore. Grrr, I hate that! I have really oily skin and am thinking I need to give liquid foundation a rest this summer. (I was previously a Bare Minerals girl.) This morning I decided to make my own tinted moisturizer. I used a sample sunscreen, Supergoop City Serum, and mixed it with an old foundation that has always been too dark, Estee Lauder Doublewear Light 5. The result was awesome. The serum lightened up an unusable foundation and the whole formula was super lightweight on my face. Right now my skin is a bit shiny, but not really oily. I've eliminated the need for primer (an extra layer in the humid weather) and my concealer seemed to go on more easily. I have a couple of foundations I'd like to use up rather than throw away so this will be a great option. I'm going to mix with my daily moisturizer typically, but with straight sunscreen if I know I'm going to be outside.

Hopefully I've found a use for some products I was hesitating to throw out and I will not have foundation separating from my greasy face this summer. It also reduces my stress about color matches.
i didn't wear a pastel look either! i watched a pixi woo vid on brigitte bardot makeup, so i tried to replicate it.
the last couple of days i've been using a moisturizer with SPF 60 (for face and body) by aveeno. i think yesterday i wore concealer, correctors, and mineralize skinfinish natural overtop. overtop today i wore nars TM, hourglass ambient powder and the msfn again. i've enjoying how it looks, my skin stays moisturized and safe from the sun! it's quite uncharacteristic of me...i normally don't go out of my way to wear sunscreen. i usually just buy it and watch it expire!
anyway, the makeup sits pretty well on top...

MissTT

I need a tinted moisturizer that's not going to make me oily. I thought about NARS, but I've had so much trouble I couldn't be bothered to try another. Maybe it's the HG and I should go for it? I'm not a big fan of mixing b/c it will be different each time. Plus I wasted products.

Medgal07

Absolutely MissTT...you're 'on theme.' You worked on an issue that you were having and you shared it with the rest of us. That's the other thing that makes this thread so awesome. I didn't wear pastels today but I wore a soft neutral eye---Chanel's Raffinement quad to go with RRW---had to try it because of all the buzz. I've been using up products left & right, and I have 18 empties to B2M so this process really does work.

Medgal07

I've always wanted to try that trick.

I hated ALL tinted moisturizers before the one by Nars. I had the same issues you described. greasy oily zit city face.

to make Parrot work, you should use something like eclair on the lid, and do Parrot on the outer corner into the crease, then blend the crease with a darker brown. I did this again with Daydreamer and LOVED it. I just got my parrot. I'll try it and let you know how it works.

Yazmin, zestful is pretty on you. I'm going to have to start using it soon. I'm so stuck on Eclair right now. (it's easy, slap it on and go).

TXbeauty, at least you are getting interviews and know what you want. it will happen soon.
Pretty, I'll have to try the NARS TM. I'm working my way through various and sundry face products before I'll allow myself to add any new ones for now. I love including a bright color that sort of peeps out of neutral E/Ss. That's my go-to approach when I can't decide on an eye-look.

Medgal07

I need a tinted moisturizer that's not going to make me oily. I thought about NARS, but I've had so much trouble I couldn't be bothered to try another. Maybe it's the HG and I should go for it? I'm not a big fan of mixing b/c it will be different each time. Plus I wasted products.
MissTT I've suffered breakouts w/various TMs & Fs. I now apply an acne cream on the areas that seem most vulnerable to breakouts BEFORE I apply any products and it seems to work.

VampyCouture

MissTT I've suffered breakouts w/various TMs & Fs. I now apply an acne cream on the areas that seem most vulnerable to breakouts BEFORE I apply any products and it seems to work.
Medgal, that's a great idea! Which one do you use? Thanks for the tip!

Btw, I still cannot get over your RRW pic. You look simply classy, timeless and fabulous!

MissTT

MissTT, have you tried Smashbox BB Cream? I wore this last year on the hottest day of my life when I was attending an outdoor graduation. It stayed pretty well and has really good coverage.
I haven't tried a new BB cream in a year or so b/c I never found one to work so just gave up. (The colors didn't really suit me when they were first released.) Your experience sounds very promising. I'll see if they have a color I could use. It's very humid here.

Medgal07

I wonder what's clogging us up? I actually don't have this problem with foundations ever. I wonder if it's some type of silicone?
I haven't tried a new BB cream in a year or so b/c I never found one to work so just gave up. (The colors didn't really suit me when they were first released.) Your experience sounds very promising. I'll see if they have a color I could use. It's very humid here.
An esthetician at a spa encouraged me to exfoliate daily. I was concerned that it would be too much but that hasn't been the case. I use Clean & Clear Daily Pore cleanser with my Clarisonic. In addition to the products that we use pores can become clogged by our own oils & such. I'm currently using MAC's BB cream. I wear it as a primer. I'm not in love with it and I only use a thin layer. I find that it dries extremely fast, so you have to apply it very quickly. Once it's gone I won't repurchase it. One thing that I like about it is that it's undetectable under my Studio Sculpt & Face & Body foundations. The color is not suitable to wear on its own, however that's not why I purchased it. I enjoy MAC's Face & Body foundation in the warmer months. I appreciate that the formula is thin enough to allow my skin texture to show through and it doesn't make me feel as though I'm wearing a ton of product-----yet it's buildable, should you so desire.

aradhana

try to get samples! maybe at one of their counters? (i was going to say sephora, but i've heard you express disgust for their testers so not going there!)

as far as the bb creams go, i think there are a couple of shades in the maybelline one that might work. the second to darkest suits me. i keep contempalting buying it, then reminding myself that i have some other products to finish first!

also, origins have one, though it isn't officially called 'bb cream'. it adjusts to your skintone, which i was skeptical of, but when i tried it out it actually visibly makes your complexion glow in an impeccable kind of way. i use to layer it over moisturizer. and sometimes even under a foundation. no breakouts experienced, but ymmv...