Theme Makeup with a Purpose

Medgal07

girlhaha.gif
Ladies I should have been clearer---I was referring to bronze & bright eye looks! But, it's almost summer and we may want to & can use actual bronzing powders. In fact, I've been using my Refined Golden from a prior collection. You can put it on your cheeks and it will give you an automatic contoured look while adding pretty color to your face. I put it on my hair line and basically places where the sun hits your face. I still apply blush and a highlighter per my usual procedure. I think Erine mentioned that MAC has darker bronzers--I think Golden was one. They're w/the permanent line. I don't want anyone to run out & buy new products unless you really want to.

I agree, sounds like a great theme!

Sagehen, I've been looking into Guerlain bronzers. What''s the difference between #7 and 8? I was told to get #7. I can cosign CG Ebony Bronze and Sun Power. I love them both. Sun Power is an amazing bronzer for a neutral look. You just look bronzed, but people don't know from what lol

sagehen

icon_eek.gif

But yeah I hear you on the scent. I have the balls and they actually smelled up my bedroom for awhile. That's way too much perfume in a product. I can smell it when I open my vanity even though I rarely use them. Any color recommendations for me, sage? I may have to start out cheap since I'm new. Hopefully they sell CG Queen around here so I can get Ebony Bronze.
I say start with the CG Queen bronzers. A lot of product, reasonable price. If you want it to contour, try Ebony Bronze, to warm up in general you might try Brown Bronze. NYX makes a decent matte bronzer and I would go for Dark Tan, but take a look at Deep Tan too. You can get these at nyxcosmetics.com or cherryculture.com (not affiliated) - I don't think Ulta carries the darker Matte Bronzers - they don't show on the website. All I have to say is, I wish MAC would bring back Metal Rock MSF. It was wonderful, not too shimmery, and loved - folk were stealing testers and whatnot (although apparently this is not as uncommon as I like to think).

VampyCouture

To my eye, #8 is darker and cooler, which, for me, makes for a better contour. No. 7 is warmer and would be more suitable for an all-over bronzer. For example, I applied #8 in the reverse 3's to give my face a little shape and definition today, with a somewhat dense, angled brush. I would apply #7 with a fluffy brush just for allover warmth. This is me saying it from an NC50-ish perspective. My only beef with Guerlain is the dang powdery, perfumey scent. I can't use it all the time because I can't always take the scent. That is too bad.

FYI, Nordstrom is now offering a Guerlain bronzer with a free brush. I can't vouch for the quality. I believe it's available in all shades.

ETA: It is only available in shade #3 online - you would have to go into a store to get any other shade. Dumb.
Thank you for this. I will need to go to Nordstrom and swatch them both. What other bronzers do you recommend for warmth? You mentioned CG Brown Bronze provides warmth. I'm also NC50 and want more warmth this summer. I already have my handy contour powders (Sleek contour kit-Medium & Dark and Ebony Bronze)

VampyCouture

girlhaha.gif
Ladies I should have been clearer---I was referring to bronze & bright eye looks! But, it's almost summer and we may want to & can use actual bronzing powders. In fact, I've been using my Refined Golden from a prior collection. You can put it on your cheeks and it will give you an automatic contoured look while adding pretty color to your face. I put it on my hair line and basically places where the sun hits your face. I still apply blush and a highlighter per my usual procedure. I think Erine mentioned that MAC has darker bronzers--I think Golden was one. They're w/the permanent line. I don't want anyone to run out & buy new products unless you really want to.
That still sounds lovely!!!

Medgal07

I tried some of the Temperature Rising collection products to create today's pastel look:

EYES:
Painterly paint pot (nude beige)
Star Studded e/s (LE Mid-tone Violet-Pink) from brow to lids
Swelter e/s (Mid-tone gray violet) packed onto lid TRQ
Beauty Marked e/s (Charcoal black w/Red pearl) to crease & outer Vee TRQ
Circus e/s (gold mauve) to highlight brow TRQ
Temperature Rising e/s (light tanned peach) to inner corners
Blacktrack gel liner to upper lashline
Beauty Marked e/s & Star Studded to lower lash-line

FACE:
MAC P & P SPF 50 Primer
MAC Face & Body mixed with Golden Elixer strobe liquid
P & P Light Boost Highlighter in triangle below eyes, set w/Ben Nye Powder, Banana
Refined Golden Bronzer cheeks, forehead & jawline
Shadowy (Deep brown matte) Pro Sculpting powder to contour
Ripe For Love blush
Estèe Lauder Heat Wave Highlighter to high-points (# 184 Duo Fiber Fan Brush)
NARS Light Reflecting Loose setting powder to finish the look
Fix + to set

LIPS:
Magenta lip pencil to line & fill
Feel My Pulse lipstick
Rhythm lipglass / edited to include---forgot first time.

NAILS: MAC's Scorching Haute Nail Polish

sagehen

girlhaha.gif
LOL Medgal - JINX we posted at the same time and dangit if it's not still May. I am a week ahead on my calendar trying to make sure I catch the Summer RiRi collection online. Well, I am two days early. Write this down y'all - this date and time right here. I am never early for anything.

sagehen

Thank you for this. I will need to go to Nordstrom and swatch them both. What other bronzers do you recommend for warmth? You mentioned CG Brown Bronze provides warmth. I'm also NC50 and want more warmth this summer. I already have my handy contour powders (Sleek contour kit-Medium & Dark and Ebony Bronze)
I like MAC Refined Deeper Bronze (it's been dc'd but look around for it - worth it on NC50 skin, if you do the evilbay thing) I use it for all over warmth and sometimes just on my cheeks when I need definition but not a whole lot of color. I like the NYX bronzers I mentioned to MissTT for that, and MAC Matte Bronze is a trusty option from the permanent line. Medgal has me wanting to peep out Golden as well, but I am trying not to go back into the MAC store for a week, at least.

Medgal07

LOL Medgal - JINX we posted at the same time and dangit if it's not still May. I am a week ahead on my calendar trying to make sure I catch the Summer RiRi collection online. Well, I am two days early. Write this down y'all - this date and time right here. I am never early for anything.
That's really funny Sage!!!
lol.gif

MissTT

I was planning to try a bronzer anyway so I don't mind picking one up. I also overloaded my daughter with bronzers at Christmas so I'll probably try out one of hers first. I do bronze eyes on occasion so I'm game for this months theme. I didn't do well with pastels. I'm wearing A Natural Flirt today though so it's kind of pastel.

Medgal I'm considering the P+P Highlighter. Is that your concealer as well? I noticed you didn't use anything else undereye. Your lip look sounds sexy. I should be getting FMP tomorrow. At first I wished I didn't get it, but now I think I'll appreciate the texture in the heat.

Medgal07

I was planning to try a bronzer anyway so I don't mind picking one up. I also overloaded my daughter with bronzers at Christmas so I'll probably try out one of hers first. I do bronze eyes on occasion so I'm game for this months theme. I didn't do well with pastels. I'm wearing A Natural Flirt today though so it's kind of pastel.

Medgal I'm considering the P+P Highlighter. Is that your concealer as well? I noticed you didn't use anything else undereye. Your lip look sounds sexy. I should be getting FMP tomorrow. At first I wished I didn't get it, but now I think I'll appreciate the texture in the heat.
I agree that pastels are/were a real challenge, perhaps because there are fewer options. Almost behind us---bring on the brights---woo hooooo!!

I use a small amount of concealer under the P& P highlighter because I have dark circles under my eyes related to allergies. If I don't use the concealer my dk circles can be seen under the highlighter. I use the P & P highlighter in a wide triangular shape below my eye area only. I love that highlighter and that's the only way that I use it for now. I suspect one could use concealer in that same way, but I'm addicted to the highlighter---no turning back for me. You can see it in the photos below.

I don't feel any texture whatsoever with FMP/Rhythm---it's a cremesheen. I wore both just yesterday. I thought Caliente was the lippie w/the dazzle texture. I have Caliente but I have not yet worn it. I have worn Sheer Seduction and I love it, and didn't even notice dazzle/texture.

MissTT

You're glowing. Thanks for the information. I've added the highlighter to my cart. I'm in no rush to get it, but it will be ready when RiRi releases.

I finally wore Lavender Whip. And I liked it. Phew! It hasn't called my name in the least. Since the month is ending I went to my stash to search for pastels and realized I didn't really have many so I had to build a look around LW. It was just as well b/c I should use things in my stash, right? Right.

EYES
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Primer
MUFE #92 – matte brilliant purple - packed on lids with 239 brush
MUFE #160 – matte dark purple – crease and outer V (unsure if this was color; no label)
MUFE #126 – tan beige shimmer – brow bone/highlight
Banafsaji – deep purple blue – to deepen outer V
Soft Brown – soft golden peach brown – transition color (never transitioned; starting to like it)
Maybelline Lasting Drama gel eyeliner – black – winged
Rimmel Soft Kohl eyeliner - black
Benefit They’re Real mascara - upper
Armani Eyes to Kill mascara - lower

FACE
By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra-Primer
Armani Maestro foundation #8
Bobbi Brown Dark Peach Corrector under eyes
NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer - Biscuit
Ben Nye Banana Powder to set concealer
NARS Light Reflecting Powder – set t-zone
NARS Mata Hari blush – rose petal pink
Definitely Defined MSF – lighter color (silvery pink? I see peach) to highlight cheekbones

LIPS
Josie Maran Argan Lip Treatment
Heroine lip pencil – purple – lined and smudged inward for semi-ombre
Lavender Whip l/s

OUTFIT
Braxton Top – Anthropologie
Gap Trousers
Miz Mooz Petra sandals
Not Just Any Old Day necklace (marking my daughter’s bday)

Prettypackages

iagree.gif
I just realized another product may be the culprit for the bumps - Kate Sommerville Retinol Cream (RetAsphere?). I rec'd a sample of it and having been throwing that in every once in awhile. I think it gave me bumps before. I need to stick to my Paula's Choice routine b/c it never caused me problems. These more expensive skincare lines haven't blown me away nor kept their promises.

I'll need to buy my own bronzer or steal from my daughter's stash. Could we start the month with bronzing tips and techniques? I recall in the Temp Rising thread a few WOC weren't really familiar with bronzing. I have plenty o' brights to play with.
what do you use from Paula's choice?

I finally tried Annapuri TM and Ginger Concealer. Ginger is a lil ashy, but will give me that KK Look. Annapuri, is a lil to light for me right now, or the undertones too pink. It might work better in the winter.

MissTT

Thanks for the review. I'll bet were the same skin color. Yay! (FYI it's not NC45)

I use a 5-step regimen from Paula's Choice + some stragglers:
Cleanser - Skin Balancing (oily/combo) or Skin Recovery (dry) depending on the season
Toner - Skin-Balancing Pore Reducing Toner
Exfoliant - 2% BHA Liquid; may be switching to gel for less waste
Retinol - Skin-Balancing Antioxidant Serum
Moisturizer - Skin Balancing SPF 15 (day/oily); Skin Recovery (night/dry) - will be switching to SPF 30 and probably a lighter night time moisturizer
extras-
RESIST Weekly Resurfacing 10% AHA - can be used in place of BHA several times/week for exfoliation
RESIST Super Antioxidant Serum - clogs the pores on my face so I just use it on my neck.

Their customer service is awesome. I left a negative review about the packaging (a product leaked) and they sent me a new product free of charge. They do it all the time. They have sales pretty often which is nice. Last year I got in on a 50% off. I need to buy new products, but I'm dying for a huge code like that. Ugh! The first few days using the products my friend said my skin was glowing. And not oily. Healthy looking. (Yeah, she said all that. LOL. I hate my greasy skin.) Their samples are cheap, too, so you can try things out.

Medgal07

You're glowing. Thanks for the information. I've added the highlighter to my cart. I'm in no rush to get it, but it will be ready when RiRi releases.

I finally wore Lavender Whip. And I liked it. Phew! It hasn't called my name in the least. Since the month is ending I went to my stash to search for pastels and realized I didn't really have many so I had to build a look around LW. It was just as well b/c I should use things in my stash, right? Right.

EYES
NARS Smudgeproof Eye Primer
MUFE #92 – matte brilliant purple - packed on lids with 239 brush
MUFE #160 – matte dark purple – crease and outer V (unsure if this was color; no label)
MUFE #126 – tan beige shimmer – brow bone/highlight
Banafsaji – deep purple blue – to deepen outer V
Soft Brown – soft golden peach brown – transition color (never transitioned; starting to like it)
Benefit They’re Real mascara - upper
Armani Eyes to Kill mascara - lower

FACE
Armani Maestro foundation #8
Bobbi Brown Dark Peach Corrector under eyes
NARS Light Reflecting Powder – set t-zone
NARS Mata Hari blush – rose petal pink
Definitely Defined MSF – lighter color (silvery pink? I see peach) to highlight cheekbones

LIPS
Josie Maran Argan Lip Treatment
Heroine lip pencil – purple – lined and smudged inward for semi-ombre
Lavender Whip l/s

OUTFIT
Braxton Top – Anthropologie
Gap Trousers
Miz Mooz Petra sandals
Not Just Any Old Day necklace (marking my daughter’s bday)

You'll find that the P & P Highlighter lasts a long time because you don't really need much. The outfit is cute and your make sounds really pretty.

MissTT

Today I wore a pastel on my eyes to close out the month. Testing out my new Tom Ford cream eye shadow I went for a very simple look.

EYES
MUFE HD Primer (trying to use it up so occasionally put on/under eyes)
Tom Ford Beauty Cream Color for Eyes – Escapade – pearlized peach
Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill mascara
Spiked Brow pencil

FACE
NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer – Cuba
Blot Powder – Dark in t-zone
Small Vanity blush – dusty rose tan

LIPS
Dr. Lipp Nipple Balm
NYX Hot Red lip pencil
Scarlet Ibis l/s

OUTFIT
Pindot Chambray Shirt & Ackee Pencil Skirt – Anthropologie
Sofft Ramona II pumps
Target Merona skinny belt (was late and totally forgot a necklace/accessories)

Medgal07

Today I wore a pastel on my eyes to close out the month. Testing out my new Tom Ford cream eye shadow I went for a very simple look.

EYES
MUFE HD Primer (trying to use it up so occasionally put on/under eyes)
Tom Ford Beauty Cream Color for Eyes – Escapade – pearlized peach
Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill mascara
Spiked Brow pencil

FACE
NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer – Cuba
Blot Powder – Dark in t-zone
Small Vanity blush – dusty rose tan

LIPS
Dr. Lipp Nipple Balm
NYX Hot Red lip pencil
Scarlet Ibis l/s

OUTFIT
Pindot Chambray Shirt & Ackee Pencil Skirt – Anthropologie
Sofft Ramona II pumps
Target Merona skinny belt (was late and totally forgot a necklace/accessories)

SCORE!!!! MissTT. The look you created sounds just lovely, and it complimented your nice outfit too!!!

aradhana

cute outfits miss TT!

medgal - beautfiul look w fmp...what blush are you wearing in those pics?

feeling slightly distressed... i got a 'touch-up' done on my hair, and i think it's really bad.... basically one side of my head is shaved, and the first time my stylist did it, it was perfect. every time i go back, whether it's for a real cut or a free 'touch-up', it seems to be going down hill. right now it's at a point where i don't think i'll be able to wear it in any reasonable way. my hair is EXTREMELY thick, and i'm getting superstressed because i can't find a way of wearing it (up or down) that is going to work for everyday.... i think she cut too much of my hair into bangs, so that it basically looks like i have a hair piece.... aaargh.....

Medgal07

cute outfits miss TT!

medgal - beautfiul look w fmp...what blush are you wearing in those pics?

feeling slightly distressed... i got a 'touch-up' done on my hair, and i think it's really bad.... basically one side of my head is shaved, and the first time my stylist did it, it was perfect. every time i go back, whether it's for a real cut or a free 'touch-up', it seems to be going down hill. right now it's at a point where i don't think i'll be able to wear it in any reasonable way. my hair is EXTREMELY thick, and i'm getting superstressed because i can't find a way of wearing it (up or down) that is going to work for everyday.... i think she cut too much of my hair into bangs, so that it basically looks like i have a hair piece.... aaargh.....
omg.gif
! Slightly distressed? I would be mortified. I am so sorry this happened to you, and I hope you can figure out a style that works while it's growing
back. Have you tried an off-center, on an angle part?

Thanks for the compliments re: FMP. I because I had so many pink tones, I opted for Ripe for Love blush.

Prettypackages

omg.gif
! Slightly distressed? I would be mortified. I am so sorry this happened to you, and I hope you can figure out a style that works while it's growing
back. Have you tried an off-center, on an angle part?

Thanks for the compliments re: FMP. I because I had so many pink tones, I opted for Ripe for Love blush.
OMG Aradhana, I'd be mortified too. I hope it works for you or at least grows out soon.

aradhana

I haven't tried any products by Tom Ford, that color sounds beautiful. How do you like their products.
I keep forgetting to pick up the banana powder, how do you guys like? I know Medgal love it.

OMG Aradhana, I'd be mortified too. I hope it works for you or at least grows out soon.
i know yes, yesterday i was really feeling mortified but trying to downplay....i washed my hair out this morning and tried restyling it...it's going to take A LOT of bobby pins and hairspray to make it look decent...i don't know what i'm going to do when i go to the gym...ugh....
gonna go hide in a box....

Latest posts