Theme Makeup with a Purpose

VampyCouture

I've been trying to use as much red as possible this past week. I was successful but I wanted to wear something other than gold eyeshadow. I found and used this look on You Tube, but the You Tuber used the look with a vampy burgundy lip and it was just beautiful. I adopted the look and used it with a red lip. This will now be one of my alternative go-to eye looks to pair with any bold lip.

The Look: All MAC products/tools unless otherwise specified.

EYES:
Quite Natural PP to lids (# 212)
Soft Brown e/s over the entire eye with soft fluffy brush (# 224 brush)
Texture e/s generously packed onto lids, turning brush sideways to include the crease (# 239 brush)
Soft Brown e/s again, to blend between texture & soft brown, blending the two together
Swiss Chocolate to outer corner & vee (# 275 brush)
Uninterrupted Prolong Wear e/s blended above the crease (# 222 brush)
Dazzlelight to brows for highlight
Blacktrack fluidline topped with Carbon to line upper lids, winged (# 211 & 208 brushes)
Soft Brown & Texture to lower lash line (# 228 brush)
Swiss Chocolate as close to top of lower lash line as possible (# 226 brush)
Fascinating eye kohl to lower water line

FACE:
Face & Body (187 brush)
P & P Light Boost Highlighter in triangle below eyes, set w/Ben Nye Powder, Banana (applied with 116 Brush)
Richly Honed to contour (applied with 163 Brush), Earthshine MSF over Richly Honed (NARS Yachiyo brush)
Sweet as Cocoa blush ( (applied with 128 Brush)
Whisper of Guilt to high-points (applied with 130 Brush)
MSF natural (applied with 129 Brush) to finish the look
Fix+ to set

LIPS:
Redd lip pencil to line & fill
Must Be Red l/s (LE MAC Illustrated Collex) (# 318 lip brush)
Beautiful! MedGal what video was it? I always like to know the videos people used as inspiration, so I have an idea how they did it :)

Medgal07

Vampy Couture, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIL_AbzoeU. You may want to apply some of your favorite eyeshadows. Nevertheless, the look is lovely as presented here.
Enjoy!

pretty.gif

aradhana

That look is gorgeous!!
eyelove.gif
eyelove.gif
eyelove.gif

Thanks Medgal!
thanks for the link medgal. i liked the overall look a lot though the application seemed on the heavy side...i don't think it would suit me very well. i'm intrigued by that natural radiance primer. is that a new product?

incidentally i clicked on the 'response video':

http://youtu.be/MbOYI0NV0WY
it was amusing, but i can't believe i watched the whole thing!
nocomment.gif

Medgal07

i can't wait till next week! i'm going to nyc and planning to pick up the yachiyo while i'm there!

thanks for the link medgal. i liked the overall look a lot though the application seemed on the heavy side...i don't think it would suit me very well. i'm intrigued by that natural radiance primer. is that a new product?

incidentally i clicked on the 'response video':

http://youtu.be/MbOYI0NV0WY
it was amusing, but i can't believe i watched the whole thing!
nocomment.gif
Aradhana, I think you'll enjoy the Yachiyo brush. It's light-weight and very easy to handle. It also holds up to gentle daily washing. Have fun in NY!!!
I checked out that response video--the first time I've ever watched one. Unlike you, I didn't make it through the whole thing. That's way more energy than I have to exert on a response.
th_LMAO.gif

CartoonChic

Beautiful looks, ladies. I still don't have anything to post. I did wear some makeup for Christmas, but I just threw on a face and left. Nothing to really post about it. I want to do better a job for New Year's Eve.

CartoonChic

did you check the flamingo dupe from the cremesheen and pearl collection? . i dont remember the name but if you go to that thread im pretty sure you can find the posts.
I have, but I still haven't gotten anything from the collection. I only have Pure Zen because it came out with Marilyn Monroe collection and I wanted it with the packaging to complete the set. I remember swatching them when they first came out and wanting to get nearly all of them. I need to find a quite moment in between LE collections to go back and pick some of them up.

Medgal07

Beautiful looks, ladies. I still don't have anything to post. I did wear some makeup for Christmas, but I just threw on a face and left. Nothing to really post about it. I want to do better a job for New Year's Eve.
Totally understand CC. You've been far to busy HYAO.
th_wiggle2.gif

Looking forward to your New Year's Eve look--you have so many products from which to choose. I know it will be spectacular
pretty.gif

Medgal07

You know! Frankly CC that's how I felt too. I hosted dinner and I felt like I threw on a face and kept going. I chose a simple smokey green eye, nude lip and BL's Jack the Lad on my nails. It wasn't my usual 'take-my-time and have fun with this' experience. Hopefully, New Year's Eve will be different.

VampyCouture

You know! Frankly CC that's how I felt too. I hosted dinner and I felt like I threw on a face and kept going. I chose a simple smokey green eye, nude lip and BL's Jack the Lad on my nails. It wasn't my usual 'take-my-time and have fun with this' experience. Hopefully, New Year's Eve will be different.
Me too! My Christmas look was uneventful. I did a simple wash of brown eyeshadow on my lid, but got a Lancome quad as a present so switched to that later in the day, but I still didn't take my time. I did love my lip though which was Mac Viva Glam III. Such a gorgeous color on dark skin! (NC50 for reference)

BTW Medgal, I tried the look with the link you posted. I had some of the shades, but I had nothing that looked like Texture in my stash (and I have quite a stash!), so I just used a similar color. Instead of Uninterrupted, I mixed together the two matte purples from the Wet n Wild Lust Palette instead. It was so beautiful!!
yahoo.gif

Thanks for the link! I LOVE her tutorials. I couldn't stop staring at my eyes.
sigh.gif

Medgal07

Me too! My Christmas look was uneventful. I did a simple wash of brown eyeshadow on my lid, but got a Lancome quad as a present so switched to that later in the day, but I still didn't take my time. I did love my lip though which was Mac Viva Glam III. Such a gorgeous color on dark skin! (NC50 for reference)
BTW Medgal, I tried the look with the link you posted. I had some of the shades, but I had nothing that looked like Texture in my stash (and I have quite a stash!), so I just used a similar color. Instead of Uninterrupted, I mixed together the two matte purples from the Wet n Wild Lust Palette instead. It was so beautiful!!
yahoo.gif

Thanks for the link! I LOVE her tutorials. I couldn't stop staring at my eyes.
sigh.gif
So awesome that your eyes turned out great! It took me a long time to be comfortable enough to substitute shades when I didn't have the exact eyeshadow in a tutorial. It was a total fluke that I had all of the shadows in this one. I'm glad you created a gorgeous look with what you had. That's one of the things that makes the whole process fun!!
drinks.gif

VampyCouture

So awesome that your eyes turned out great! It took me a long time to be comfortable enough to substitute shades when I didn't have the exact eyeshadow in a tutorial. It was a total fluke that I had all of the shadows in this one. I'm glad you created a gorgeous look with what you had. That's one of the things that makes the whole process fun!!
drinks.gif
I'm like that too!
flower.gif

I need the EXACT shade for the color I see in a tutorial. I was actually about to order Texture, Uninterrupted and the brushes she used lol, but I decided to look in my stash. The color I used is similar. Luckily, I had the main colors like Swiss Chocolate and Soft Brown. My lid color was nowhere near a dupe. It was not as complex or gorgeous as Texture. It was just a matte, light brown but it still worked out okay. I may pick Texture up later, but for now, I'll stick to that light shade.

aradhana

drinks.gif
do you guys know a dupe for swiss chocolate? would spiced chocolate be similar?

i didn't wear any makeup at all on christmas. in fact i don't even think i got out of my pj's till 2pm...
blush-anim-cl.gif

i was kind of hoping to work firm form into my new year's eve look. sadly i had wanted to take the all woman quad, but i forgot it at my parents' place, so i won't have it on my trip. :(
has anyone bought and worn FF in a look? any ideas?

VampyCouture

:D
i'm so excited for nyc! it's been so long since i've spent any time there...usually i have like 8 hours or something. this time i have three whole days!
sorry, what's a hyao?
do you guys know a dupe for swiss chocolate? would spiced chocolate be similar?

i didn't wear any makeup at all on christmas. in fact i don't even think i got out of my pj's till 2pm...
blush-anim-cl.gif

i was kind of hoping to work firm form into my new year's eve look. sadly i had wanted to take the all woman quad, but i forgot it at my parents' place, so i won't have it on my trip. :(
has anyone bought and worn FF in a look? any ideas?
When I first heard of Firm Form, I wanted it really bad, but then decided I would never wear it, so I skipped it. The swatches are gorgeous though. I would pair it with a dark smokey eye since it's New Years or keep the face almost sans makeup and just wear FF. Don't know how you ladies would pair this, just how I would go about it.

I'm not too familiar with Mac eyeshadows as I just started venturing into the Mac eyeshadow realm. I have plenty others from other brands, so I doubt I will get knee deep with their eyeshadows. I would get the Sonia Kashuk matte palette. I have had my eye on it myself, and they seem to have about three browns that can be swiss chocolate. This seems like a better buy than the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette as well. Here is the link:
http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-instructional-eye-palette/-/A-14111712

Medgal07

drinks.gif
do you guys know a dupe for swiss chocolate? would spiced chocolate be similar? I didn't do comparative swatches, but via the naked eye,Texture (a tad lighter than Swiss Choc) and Brown Script are close. i didn't wear any makeup at all on christmas. in fact i don't even think i got out of my pj's till 2pm...
blush-anim-cl.gif
i was kind of hoping to work firm form into my new year's eve look. sadly i had wanted to take the all woman quad, but i forgot it at my parents' place, so i won't have it on my trip. :( has anyone bought and worn FF in a look? any ideas? I purchased FF but I have not yet worn it. Nevertheless I have to agree that a sultry smokey eye...golds & dark brown or black might work.

Medgal07

When I first heard of Firm Form, I wanted it really bad, but then decided I would never wear it, so I skipped it. The swatches are gorgeous though. I would pair it with a dark smokey eye since it's New Years or keep the face almost sans makeup and just wear FF. Don't know how you ladies would pair this, just how I would go about it. I'm not too familiar with Mac eyeshadows as I just started venturing into the Mac eyeshadow realm. I have plenty others from other brands, so I doubt I will get knee deep with their eyeshadows. I would get the Sonia Kashuk matte palette. I have had my eye on it myself, and they seem to have about three browns that can be swiss chocolate. This seems like a better buy than the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette as well. Here is the link:  http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashuk-instructional-eye-palette/-/A-14111712
I checked the web site. Just eye-balling the shadows it appears that the third shadow in the first column could be close to Swiss Chocolate.

Prettypackages

I didn't go out for NYE, first time in a long time. I was exhausted, Went to my mom's Holiday party on Friday and wore Chanel's Holiday quad. I had the taupe (satin taupe dupe) shade on my lid, and cranberry (mythical due) shade on my crease. I had the autumn brush from Nars, and Red Dwarf on my lips. My cousin who is like the COOLEST guy I know. Not that, I'm better than you, but I accept you cool, the faux humble, but really arrogant cool. Just a genuine cool. Anyway, he thought my makeup was done by a professional. *doing the cabbage patch* I'm getting better. LOL

CartoonChic

I didn't do anything for NYE. I was going to wear makeup around the house, but didn't even bother to do that. Ugh. I need to shake this funk I've been in...

Lol. I was scratching my head over what HYAO meant. Now I know. 2012 was the first time I shopped for makeup for a full year. Now I know what to expect and will be better prepared. I'm going to budget the bulk of my makeup shopping for November and December. All of the Friends & Family, Black Friday and Holiday deals really caught me off guard. I'm still going to buy LE items and some things that I don't want to wait to get throughout the year, but I want my purchases to be better planned out.

So it's January now. What's going to be our theme this month? I keep thinking blue and icy. No idea how that translates into a theme.

Medgal07

I didn't go out for NYE, first time in a long time.  I was exhausted,  Went to my mom's Holiday party on Friday and wore Chanel's Holiday quad. I had the taupe (satin taupe dupe) shade on my lid, and cranberry (mythical due) shade on my crease.  I had the autumn brush from Nars, and Red Dwarf on my lips.  My cousin who is like the COOLEST guy I know.  Not that, I'm better than you, but I accept you cool,  the faux humble, but really arrogant cool.  Just a genuine cool.   Anyway, he thought my makeup was done by a professional.   *doing the cabbage patch*   I'm getting better.   LOL  
First, HAPPY NEW YEAR! The look you created for your mom's holiday party sounds lovely, and based on your cousin's feedback, you did an awesome job!!. :bouquet: We stayed in too, which I enjoy immensely, but had our own little elegant party complete with a champagne toast at midnight. I wore black & animal print loungewear, so full make was appropriate. I used the gold shade from the Chanel holiday quad to create a gold & black smokey eye. I was pretty happy with the results. I used my all-time favorite highlighter, Estée Lauder's Modern Mercury highlighter to give me that candlelight glow. Chanel's Precieuse lipstick gave me a soft nude lip w/ my smokey eyes. I hope to wear this look again sometime.

VampyCouture

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I had no plans on going out, because I'm like the biggest homebody I know. But one of my best friends invited me over, so we just chilled and watched tv. I decided to do an olive-gold smokey eye (I really loved the look!) using those Lorac 3d Lustre Drops that everyone has been raving about. I also did Rebel lipstick by Mac as a lip color and used Stila's Kitten duo as a highlighter since I got it in a kit. I liked the look a lot. Going on a no-buy until further notice in an effort to use up some products I have neglected. Forgot how amazing Rebel is though. But it stains the lips like crazy :/

Latest posts