U never thought it would work but...

ebonyannette

** This is for Women of all Colors**
Ok post your colors, combos, or products that you never thought would work for you that surprisingly look really good.
Oh and dont forget to post your Foundation coloring.

I never thought Swish would look good on me but it is one of my
favorite colors!

I also never thought Orange blush would work from me but after
taking tips from fellow Specktranet girls I have found that this
looks great!

SFF NW55

Selene

Great thread idea!

For reference, my foundation shade is MAC NC35.

I never thought pale blue eyeliner would work on me, but I tried on MAC Powerpoint in Light As Air just for the heck of it, because the pencil looked so pretty, and I was pleasantly surprised. It looks nice combined with Tilt on the lid and Nocturnelle in the crease.

Pale, cool toned pink cream blush looks really good (and natural) on me, so long as it is very sheer, with no chalkiness. What's good about it is that it works as a highlighter as well as a blush.

Also, I keep hearing how red and pink toned eyeshadows are "fashion don'ts", but I ignore this because I find they look really good on me. Some of my favorites are MAC shadestick in Crimsonaire, and Urban Decay deluxe eyeshadow in Sting.

All of this just goes to show that makeup "rules" are not written in stone, in fact they are made to be broken!

ebonyannette

The blue with Tilt and Noctournelle sound really cute!!
I hate the make up dont's either it really deters (sp?) alot of people
from stepping outside the box and trying some really cute stuff

Beauty Mark

NW25
I always surprised that I can wear pink lipsticks. They just have to be the right shade and not pale.

In general, I'm always surprised I can wear almost any color. It just depends on the shade and undertones.

Me220

Greens were my biggest surprise. I love them, and would wear them everyday if I could.

And Fashion Don'ts are almost always for Caucasian women. Things that clash for them, don't necessarily clash for us. And even then, a don't now will be a do next year, or the year after. I believe anything is possible if you use the right shade.

aziza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette

I also never thought Orange blush would work from me but after
taking tips from fellow Specktranet girls I have found that this
looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene
Pale, cool toned pink cream blush looks really good (and natural) on me, so long as it is very sheer, with no chalkiness. What's good about it is that it works as a highlighter as well as a blush.

I second both of these! Orange colored blushes are amazing! I have NARS Taj Majal and it's so gorgeous on me...orange with gold flecks. I can't wait to get Exhibit A
clap.gif
. Pink cream blush is the invention of the century for me...I like NYX cream blush in Tan.

People always say that darker skin looks good in gold, brown, blah, blah, blah. The colors I love are navy and silver(my favorite color combo)..they brighten up my eyes! I just don't believe in rules concerning makeup...if it looks good it works!

hyperRealGurl

NC40 SFF/ NC400 HYR FNDn

i dont really have a combo but i have certian colors that i was scared of...

Example:

Overgrown E/s i was really scared of this color b/c it was so bright and i wasnt to sure if the color would look so nice with my skintone.

Stars N Rockets e/s All though this is a very pretty color i was too afraid to use it... thinking that my eyes would look burised.. but it goes nicely with beauty marked e/s

Swish e/s another pretty color........ i was a semi scared using this color aswell..... 1: b/c its very frosty 2: i was afraid that it would look like pepto bismol on my lids...

Here are some colors that im deathly scared of.... "dont ask why i just am"

Chrome yellow
Acid Orange
sushi flower
electric eel

MsCuppyCakes

I'm a NC45 and like greens, pinks and blues. I recently tried the Cement shadestick, I use it as a base, and I like it.

zombie_candy

NC40 here
smiles.gif

i'm scared of anything too red or pink-based because it'll probably make me look as if i've been crying for hours and i already have puffiness from not getting enough sleep LOL. i found that Antiqued e/s works for me though

ette

I'm an olive C25/C40 and I never thought that teal liner would be okay on my hazel eyes, but So There Jade is one of my favorites. Also, blue-red lipsticks look pretty good on my warm complexion!! They also make teeth look whiter. Also, Pompous Blue and Overgrown are nice!!

L281173

orange eyeshadow along with turquoise eyeshadow

orange eyeshadow along with purple eyeshadow.

These combinations are simply gorgeous.

ebonyannette

Ok I have another one
I never thought Gogh Gogh Cheekhue would work but its awesome!

Im NW55 and if I would have seen it in the store I would have said "Thats too pink" but it adds such a soft look.

SO dont shy away from Pink Blushers dark girls!

supko

I'm C30ish / MMM-GGG.

I never got the hype about MAC's Vanilla pigment, thinking it'd be some boring ol' white/silver frost color. But it's de-gorgeous! It's like a nude/clear sheen for any skintone. I've sold fellow brown-skinned ladies on it
smiles.gif

MAC Luminary lustreglass is the lipgloss equivalent for me. Subtle nude/clear sheen on lips.

aziza

NW45 here again! Well I never thought that Dollymix would work for some reason...I had always seen lighter girls use it in their FOTD's and just dismissed it. I'm so glad that I tried it now! Like ebonyannette said...give pink blush a try! Don't let the "rules" reign you in! There are no rules in makeup....we can wear whatever we choose as long as it looks good!
clap.gif

MAC_Pixie04

I never thought I'd find a red lipstick, but Dubonnet, NARS Diablo and NARS scandal are unanimously agreed to be "sexy" on me (as per employees/boyfriend.)

I never thought i could wear baby blue eyeshadow, but NARS Liquid Sky is the sex.

I never thought I could wear cream blush, but NARS Cream Blushes and Multiples work out great for me!

I never thought I could rock the winged-out eyeliner, but an artist at work did it, and it actually made my eyes look rounder and bigger.

Naturellle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me220
Greens were my biggest surprise. I love them, and would wear them everyday if I could.

Me too!! I can't get enough of green or greenish type colors on my eyes.

I was always against blush because I thought it looked unnatural on black folks. However, now I love it now that I know how to work the right color. Peachy golden slightly pink colors look fab on me. My fav item that I use as a blush is aripeach pearilizer.

greatscott2000

I'm NW 45 and I'm surprised that NARS Mountain pressed powder counters the orange tones in my skin.
I have to agree with Sumting Sweet on the Orange blushes- they are great.
I found a good neutral brown/pink lipstick that works is instinctive. I wear it almost every day!