What is your opinion on younger kids purchasing brand named makeup (Mac, Nars, etc)?

Geeeenahx3

I am just curious of what you guys think...?
Do you don't mind, don't care, hate it, or what? I'd like to hear it.
-Btw, by younger kids I mean like literally kids, about 11-15 ish

sheaspearl83

I have a 10yo daughter who has been wearing light pink lipglasses for the past couple of years...her lips are genetically full and she is also a competition cheerleader so occasionally, she must wear a full face. Honestly, I would prefer her to wear GOOD products since I have been trying to teach her GOOD skincare techniques as well.
Also, I teach her which looks are age appropriate and/or church appropriate; so, it's been a great experience.

deven.marie

As long as they understand the value and quality of what they're getting, im fine with it. I was 14 when i bought my first mac e/s (it was mulch btw) but my mom made DAMN sure i knew not to just treat it like all the other cheaper makeup i had at the time..

BeccalovesMAC

my nine year old is allowed to wear and buy makeup with her money. She only wears at the house. She knows how expensive it is. She knows my MAC MA personally. it depends on the child and parent i guess.

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
I don't care, none of my business. That's their parent's business.

This! All the freaking way.

I don't give a rat's ass about other people's kids unless their brats are affecting my brats.

nursee81

I guess it's ok I'd rather my daughter use good quality rather than crappy MU. I know girls personally that have wore wet and wild for argument sakes and their skin has broken out. I was taught proper skin care since I could remember why not proper MU in moderation to their ages.

Boasorte

1. I really wouldn't care
2. But I don't think any girl under the age of 14 should be wearing anything other than lipgloss, you don't need mascara and shadow and all that crap while you're in middle school *rolls eyes*

BBJay

I think its fine at 14 and 15 given that they understand the value of it and use it properly. At 11-13, its not really necessary. I mean you can have makeup of decent quality without it being a high end brand. I'm not saying they should have nothing but NYC and Wet N Wild, but at that age, a little Covergirl won't kill you.

Susanne

As long as they know it is not "normal" to have it and keep it as something special, maybe as a birthday present, I think it is fine.

LMD84

i started wearing make up at the age of 13- 14 but it was mainly drug store stuff. at the time i thought maybelline was the best you could get!! if somebody had given me some mac at that age i would have treated it with care and would have been special to me. i think if the child didn't think of it as special and treated it like it was any old brand there would be a problem.

that said i wouldn't want my child (if i had one!) wearing a full face of foundation and stuff at the age of 13-14 because they most likely wouldn't need it. lipgloss, concealer, a little powder and some neautral shadow would be plenty!

miss sha

I don't know, the idea kind of bugs me. I used to work at a Panera Bread in an upscale neighborhood (they had their own Coach store!) and I would always see 11-14 year old girls come in in packs. They'd be wearing these tiny little booty shorts and tank tops, carrying designer bags and the latest cellphones, and wearing makeup, probably high-end as well.

I just wish all those girls would slow down and be young. They have the whole rest of their lives to end up just like their mothers.
ssad.gif

Nevermind the whole spoiled factor, since when they're that young they're probably not buying high-end makeup themselves since they're not legally old enough to work.

TISH1124

I wouldn't care as long as long as they have their own money to buy it...because it wouldn't be funded by me at that age.... But I don't have a girl so I guess I can say that...I do however think 11 is a little bit young for anything but lipgloss. High school age ..I would probably buy her a few items occassionally...but the bulk she would have to earn.

Okami08

The first makeup I ever owned was Clinique. My mom has sensitive skin and so do I, so she would never have gotten me drugstore makeup, and I don't use drugstore stuff to this day. I used to play with my grandmother's makeup (Avon and various drugstore brands) and it started irritating my skin when I was still a kid. What will and won't cause my skin problems is kind of a crapshoot. Cheaper eyeshadows tend to do it, most mascaras, any "mineral makeup" product, all but two foundations I've tried, all but one primer that I've tried, every blush I've ever tried except Tarte's cheekstains (and I've tried dozens!), Chanel Glossimers, Nars lipglosses, and a host of other things.

No matter what my child's age, if she's old enough to stop playing in my collection, I'll be getting her the same lines of makeup that I use. It's just not worth the risk to me. Extreme skin sensitivity like mine is relatively rare, but I'm not the only one whose skin doesn't react well to cheaper makeup - maybe that's why some of these younger girls are buying their makeup at the higher-end counters. Maybe they've saved up and want something from that line.

And about these kids not appreciating what they have: Since I started owning my own makeup, I've never purchased from a brand less expensive than Clinique or MAC. I started using Clinique skincare when I was 13. My mom bought these items for me (although not an extensive makeup collection) and got me started with salon-carried haircare products when I was 15 (I used Catwalk then and still use it now). When I was living with my parents, they bought the stuff for me. It never hurt my work ethic, and I've always appreciated it. I started learning then the difference between good and bad products, and what does and doesn't work for me. I also learned the difference between being good and being expensive. It hasn't given me any less appreciation for anything I have, and I've never expected things handed to me on a silver platter. Just because someone bought things for you at a young age (not even old enough to get a job) doesn't mean that you'll grow up without the inclination to earn things for yourself. My brother and I were both given certain things, but if we wanted more than our parents would normally buy, we earned the money ourselves, by doing extra chores around the house to get money from our parents, or by babysitting or dogsitting for the neighbors or other people our parents knew. My parents bought my brother an XBox 360, but he earned most of the games he plays on it. Whether a kid takes things for granted or not is, in my opinion at least, more a matter of the individual's personality than anything else. I've known people who, growing up, didn't get anything handed to them by their parents and went crazy buying expensive luxury items as soon as they had any money to do it with, and I've known kids whose parents would buy them just about anything who were extremely responsible about it - some of those ones even had jobs and only spent money they'd earned themselves. It's all dependent on the individual.

atwingirl

This post was not about skin care. I worked for Clinique and many young teens were brought in to start their skin care regimines. I would encourage any young girl to start early with good skin care and SPF. But in today's social climate it is hard to deny that most Americans live outside of their means. Where do you think our children learn these behaviors? I agree that if they earned the money than they should be free to purchase items of their choice. I too agree with the above poster that it is all about the individual in terms of developing work ethic, appreciation, etc. Most parents are guilty of spoiling their child/ren at any given time. It is only when these "spoils" are not accompanied by common sense and guidance that you are doing a real disservice to your children's future. Most jobs when she graduates high school or college for that matter, will not pay for her basic needs let alone her cosmetic habit. Let's add it up, shall we? Food, rent or mortgage, gas, health care, utilities, credit card bills(because we all know she's got 'em!), car payment and her entertainment/clothing budget. Now I know there are exceptions and I take that into consideration.

th_dunno.gif

blindpassion

I started buying MAC when I was 15 (yes, I had a job.) Now I'm a freelance makeup artist and this is how I make a living while I'm in school. So, more power to you!

OfficerJenny

I've been wearing MAC since 14 :x I think it's fine as long as you're not trying to make yourself look older with makeup.

Latest posts