What is your opinion on younger kids purchasing brand named makeup (Mac, Nars, etc)?

Geeeenahx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
Speaking of little kids wearing makeup...
YouTube - My MAC Cosmetics Collection
this girl looks 9 years old, but hey at least she doesn't wear it outside.... SMH

Oh gosh...At her age I was more happier playing with my friends outside and barbie dolls than makeup!! She should enjoy her childhood while she still has it...Oh well..

Strawberrymold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcekitty
I don't really care if they use it, spit on it, cook it, stick it up their hoo-has, etc as long as they pay for it and are not stealing it. Preferably they're paying for it with their paper routes, lemonade stands or cashier jobs and not mooching off mommy and daddy. Then they'll know the value of those dollars they're spending.

(Everything high end I have I've worked for and bought myself. I was not an allowance kid :p)

Very cute I agree. LOL

NeonKitty

My daughter is 7 and has a dazzleglass, l/g and one mac e/s. And quite a bit of drugstore brand stuff (glosses blush and e/s only). She is only allowed to wear l/g outside of the house. But at home, I let her play and 'do her makeup", it's kind of like playing dress up for her. Kids learn from watching their parents, so she watches me and then does her own (usually ends up looking quite.....interesting, lol). I see no harm in it so long as she does not wear it outside of the house. We're clear on that, and she will be only allowed to wear natural/neutral makeup outside the house at 13, if she demonstrates that she is mature enough.

I think as long as a child is old enough to safely apply l/g and e/s (ie not eating it or poking their eyes out) and the purpose of it is playing dress up as opposed to trying to be older it is fine. A discussion about self esteem and self-image goes hand in hand with that, so the child does not get the impression that being "made up" or physical attributes are more important than character and education.

chocolategoddes

I feel like at least 3 threads on this topic were already started. But that's cool....

I wouldn't mind my daughter playing around with my higher-end products for fun. I know that most of us makeup lovers developed this passion from a young age and I wouldn't want to deny my child that kind of amusment.

Now OWNING the makeup is a different thing. I don't wanna see a 10 year old pulling out a NARS lipgloss from her My Little Pony fanny pack! My eyes would explode!

Lapis

Quote:
this girl looks 9 years old, but hey at least she doesn't wear it outside.... SMH

I think her mom is a mac addict and started her, however it freaks me that an adult is filming it and putting it online

Boasorte

exactly who the hell would film that? My little cousin who is 6 years old, LOVES makeup, and all that jazz ( which I find odd when I was 6 I hated curls, dressup, makeup, everything lol)
anywho, so my aunt buys her u know the nail polish sets u buy at Toys R Us, and when I don't like something, I give it to her, so she has maybe about 2 eyeshadows, and 5 glosses, which she only plays in, and my aunt and I have enough sense to know she won't be wearing that cap outside, that I get.
I have a feeling when she gets about 11,12 she's gonna want more, and I'm gonna be there to tell her slow her hot ass down, she's too young

But when you're 11 wanting foundation and all that, NO!!!!! IDC if it's N.Y.C, NYX or LANCOME, it's innappropiate, and whatever mom lets her child in the age range of 9-14 go outside with mascara, blush,foundation,concealer etc no matter that brand, needs to sort out priorities. So what if your child is 13 and has acne??? It's called growing up and we all go through it

blindpassion

Quote:
exactly who the hell would film that? My little cousin who is 6 years old, LOVES makeup, and all that jazz ( which I find odd when I was 6 I hated curls, dressup, makeup, everything lol)
anywho, so my aunt buys her u know the nail polish sets u buy at Toys R Us, and when I don't like something, I give it to her, so she has maybe about 2 eyeshadows, and 5 glosses, which she only plays in, and my aunt and I have enough sense to know she won't be wearing that cap outside, that I get.
I have a feeling when she gets about 11,12 she's gonna want more, and I'm gonna be there to tell her slow her hot ass down, she's too young

But when you're 11 wanting foundation and all that, NO!!!!! IDC if it's N.Y.C, NYX or LANCOME, it's innappropiate, and whatever mom lets her child in the age range of 9-14 go outside with mascara, blush,foundation,concealer etc no matter that brand, needs to sort out priorities. So what if your child is 13 and has acne??? It's called growing up and we all go through it

I don't know if that part about acne is necessarily a fair statement. The whole reason I began getting into makeup when I was young in the first place was because I had severe acne, and I needed to learn how to apply makeup and be more comfortable with myself - since nothing else was taking my acne away.

Thanks to that journey and now years of self learning, I am a freelance artist making fantastic money and building my own business - all under the age of twenty.

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
I don't know if that part about acne is necessarily a fair statement. The whole reason I began getting into makeup when I was young in the first place was because I had severe acne, and I needed to learn how to apply makeup and be more comfortable with myself - since nothing else was taking my acne away.

Thanks to that journey and now years of self learning, I am a freelance artist making fantastic money and building my own business - all under the age of twenty.

I also had severe acne, but I don't think it would be wise (and neither did my derm) to cover it with makeup(But of course everyone's skin is different)
I understand where you're coming from, but I still think it's crazy for a 13 y/o old to walk around with a full face. At that age, I must say it would be good for them to learn basics for high school, because I remember the first time I put on eyeshadow myself I was looking crazy!!!!

Elusive21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i started wearing make up at the age of 13- 14 but it was mainly drug store stuff. at the time i thought maybelline was the best you could get!! if somebody had given me some mac at that age i would have treated it with care and would have been special to me. i think if the child didn't think of it as special and treated it like it was any old brand there would be a problem.

that said i wouldn't want my child (if i had one!) wearing a full face of foundation and stuff at the age of 13-14 because they most likely wouldn't need it. lipgloss, concealer, a little powder and some neautral shadow would be plenty!

I completely agree with your whole post.

Back when I was a teen I didn't even know brands like MAC, Chanel, Estee Lauder etc. existed! LMAO! I lived in a little town where we didn't even really have a mall - no Macy's or Nordies there. So yeah, I thought brands like Maybelline and Revlon and MaryKay was all that I could get. No wonder I hated makeup at that age! All the makeup that I bought was so crappy and always the wrong shade, so I thought ALL makeup was like that
th_LMAO.gif
How very wrong I was.

When I have a daughter I will definitely teach her the value of good quality makeup and how to apply it properly, along with what looks are age appropriate. And she won't be getting $200 worth of MAC makeup either. I'll only buy 1-2 things for her at the time so that she learns how to use those 1-2 well and how to treat her makeup good (one of my biggest pet peeves is people throwing their makeup around and having it in an old dirty case. Yuck.)

swaly

If the interest is genuine, I'd say that kids using higher-end brands is a blessing. There's no point in "starting off" with crappy stuff with bad chemicals, poor pigmentation...that stuff is always a waste of money. When I think back to when I was 12 or 13 and all the money I spent on drugstore gimmicks that looked pretty but did NOTHING, I get sad!

I think that any time a young person would rather get one high-quality product rather than 10 low-quality ones, they are learning to understand value.

But if it's a parent buying kids brand-name stuff and instilling a sense of elitism, I'm very much opposed to that. A lot of my Korean family & family friends do this...they automatically say that anything cheap is bad and teach their kids to covet designer names, etc. Really shameful, in my opinion, that they're getting such a warped sense of value so young and not allowing them to build their own sense of when to bargain-shop and when to splurge.

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
The whole reason I began getting into makeup when I was young in the first place was because I had severe acne, and I needed to learn how to apply makeup and be more comfortable with myself - since nothing else was taking my acne away.

omg you and me both. i used to have bad acne when i was 13 and at least every couple of months i'd end up with a HUGE breakout on my nose and i remember i was so embarrassed by it. my grandma gave me some of her fashion fare liquid foundation, lmfao, to cover up the really bad scars. in middle school i just used to suffer through it (not to mention my mom wasn't really letting me wear makeup either) but i remember i broke out REALLY bad two days before i started highschool. i smeared that shit all over my face because i was NOT starting out what i thought of as my highschool career looking like that. plus, i had told myself i wanted to land my self a cool ass senior, so, you know...........
it is what it is
tong.gif

MissCrystal

Quote:

SMH indeed ...

anyone under the age of 14 should not be wearing m/u they should enjoy their childhood they'll have plenty of time to experiment with m/u

i didn't start wearing m/u until i was like 15ish even that was all drugstore makeup that would dissapear on me by the end of the day lol i didn't start wearing mac until i was 20

and that girl in the video looks she doesn't even appreciate her mac wtf her dog are her 229 brush !!!

cupcake_x

I feel when you're younger than 13 you should just be practicing the application of make-up, not actually wearing it out.. It looks a tad silly when little girls wear make-up anyway.

I feel they should start out with something a little cheaper like ELF or NYX and then work their way up.

But I guess it really is none of my business *shrug*

Jessica0984

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwingirl
This post was not about skin care. I worked for Clinique and many young teens were brought in to start their skin care regimines. I would encourage any young girl to start early with good skin care and SPF. But in today's social climate it is hard to deny that most Americans live outside of their means. Where do you think our children learn these behaviors? I agree that if they earned the money than they should be free to purchase items of their choice. I too agree with the above poster that it is all about the individual in terms of developing work ethic, appreciation, etc. Most parents are guilty of spoiling their child/ren at any given time. It is only when these "spoils" are not accompanied by common sense and guidance that you are doing a real disservice to your children's future. Most jobs when she graduates high school or college for that matter, will not pay for her basic needs let alone her cosmetic habit. Let's add it up, shall we? Food, rent or mortgage, gas, health care, utilities, credit card bills(because we all know she's got 'em!), car payment and her entertainment/clothing budget. Now I know there are exceptions and I take that into consideration.
Oh, but it's just one lipglass in a thirteen year old's (Coach) Purse. What's the harm?
th_dunno.gif

If the teen's parents want them to have it, I don't see what the harm is. Yes these days everyone is most likely living outside their means but I am sure you got something from your parents when they didn't exactly have the money for it. I had high end makeup and designer clothes when I was growing up, does that automatically make me not understand where money comes from and that you have to work to earn it? Nope. Not in the least.

Nzsallyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake_x
I feel when you're younger than 13 you should just be practicing the application of make-up, not actually wearing it out.. It looks a tad silly when little girls wear make-up anyway.

I feel they should start out with something a little cheaper like ELF or NYX and then work their way up.

But I guess it really is none of my business *shrug*

i agree with you on this one. but it also depends on what people define as "younger kids". i work in a store where brands such as estee lauder, chanel, dior etc are sold, and i occasionally fill in on the counters. the experience that i have had is that yes, some of the girls that come in with their mums are spoilt little brats, but others have worked hard for their purchases, and always are happy to be able to buy it from their efforts.

it is a controversial subject though

cupcake_x

^:nod:

I always worked for my MAC and other stuff. My mother will buy me an eyeshadow or lipstick here and there as a little gift, but for the most part I've always worked and bought it myself. I'm 17 btw, and started buying MAC 1 1/2 or 2 years ago.

atwingirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica0984
If the teen's parents want them to have it, I don't see what the harm is. Yes these days everyone is most likely living outside their means but I am sure you got something from your parents when they didn't exactly have the money for it. I had high end makeup and designer clothes when I was growing up, does that automatically make me not understand where money comes from and that you have to work to earn it? Nope. Not in the least.

I can't fathom where you would get an idea that it is okay to write such a baseless thought about a person you know nothing about. You don't know me from Adam! Besides, I would think that a young lady that would post a thread entitled something like "Why Do We Like To Tear Each Other Down..." would have chosen not to take that route. Hmmm.

nichollecaren

My first lipstick at 9 was by clinique. I wasnt told that it was expensive...I was told that I should be tasteful in how I wore it. My mom would give me eyeliners and mascara, and these were reserved for days when I was 'going out'. It was a phase that passed by the time I got into high school and needed to study, because I no longer had the time! All in all I think allowing your child to wear makeup is facilitating the development of their individuality-she will develop a comfort level with makeup and proper grooming habits will develop. She likely wont be one of those women committing makeup crimes, which generally stem from inexperience. Ultimately, she is more likely to be a confident, self assured young woman who knows how to put herself together. This will give her not only a social, but professional boost in adult life.

Parented correctly, the child will know the place makeup will have in her life, and will act accordingly. Much of parenting is leading by example. I dont support the idea of telling a child something "is too good" or "too expensive" for them. I'd rather the suggestion that the the item is more than you can afford and maybe she can save for it-this encourages responsibility while affirming that she can be free to express herself. This is critical in the development of a young girl, and it starts from the days baby girls strut around in mommy's heels and paint toenails bright red. Its is a desire to be like her parent, to grow up... which is healthy and not to be admonished. But rather supervised and guided.

My niece is 9, and already expressing an interest. I allow her to have her run of my makeup kit - but when she tries something over the top, i'll tell her it 'don't fit' her (colloquial saying), and suggest something better.

Just my two cents.

atwingirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollecaren
My first lipstick at 9 was by clinique. I wasnt told that it was expensive...I was told that I should be tasteful in how I wore it. My mom would give me eyeliners and mascara, and these were reserved for days when I was 'going out'. It was a phase that passed by the time I got into high school and needed to study, because I no longer had the time! All in all I think allowing your child to wear makeup is facilitating the development of their individuality-she will develop a comfort level with makeup and proper grooming habits will develop. She likely wont be one of those women committing makeup crimes, which generally stem from inexperience.

Parented correctly, the child will know the place makeup will have in her life, and will act accordingly. Much of parenting is leading by example. I dont support the idea of telling a child something "is too good" or "too expensive" for them. I'd rather the suggestion that the the item is more than you can afford and maybe she can save for it-this encourages responsibility while affirming that she can be free to express herself. This is critical in the development of a young girl, and it starts from the days baby girls strut around in mommy's heels and paint toenails bright red. Its is a desire to be like her parent, to grow up... which is healthy and not to be admonished. But rather supervised and guided.

My niece is 9, and already expressing an interest. I allow her to have her run of my makeup kit - but when she tries something over the top, i'll tell her it 'don't fit' her (colloquial saying), and suggest something better.

Just my two cents.

I do love and respect the idea of children wanting to be just like their parents and it is an idea I overlooked. Thanks for the image of a "girl in her mommy's heels". It further drives the point home that I was mistaken to squash a teen's desire to share in her Mom's love of all things beautiful. See, even a uber-opionated Mommy can learn a thing or two!

hatsoff.gif

ForgetRegret

^^^ I don't think you're totally off base here, hun...I think there are too many parents out there who are spoiling their kids, and giving them everything they want, without having to do more than breathe to earn it. That being said, there are also those parents who will "spoil" (for lack of a better term) their kids when they deserve it, but also try to teach them the value of the things they have, and that sometimes mommy and/or daddy will buy you things that you want (and usually the parents make it known that there's a clear line between a "want" and a "need"), but you also need to understand that not everything in life will be handed to you. My mom did that with me, and I'm so grateful for everything she's taught me.
Now that I'm off my soap box...I think it depends on the kid and parent. If a girl wants to go to the MAC counter and buy herself a pretty pink lipgloss with the allowance she saved, and her mom is ok with it, then by all means, have at it, kiddo. I do, however, think that they shouldn't be buying anything too...well, "adult", I guess. I don't know what I'd do if I saw a 13 year old girl walking around with Russian Red lipstick and lipglass on. O_O I think I might fall over...if she's at home, and playing with mommy's makeup, then fine...but not out in public. That's just MHO, though...

Latest posts