What is your opinion on younger kids purchasing brand named makeup (Mac, Nars, etc)?

dulcekitty

I don't really care if they use it, spit on it, cook it, stick it up their hoo-has, etc as long as they pay for it and are not stealing it. Preferably they're paying for it with their paper routes, lemonade stands or cashier jobs and not mooching off mommy and daddy. Then they'll know the value of those dollars they're spending.

(Everything high end I have I've worked for and bought myself. I was not an allowance kid :p)

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwingirl
When children are handed things so early in life, especially designer, how are they to grow and appreciate them? How do they develop a strong work ethic to earn these items? MAC at 11 years old, what will these children expect during their College years?

Know what? I HATE threads like this just because of comments like this.

You can give a kid payless and walmart and they not have a good work ethic and not appreciate them, work ethic is not only directly correlated to what kids are given but how they are raised!

X4biddenxLustX

I've been wearing MAC since I was 14-15, I'm 18 now. I didn't have a job until I was 16-17 and would just save up lunch money in order to buy an eyeshadow. Or my mom would get something for me for getting good grades. After I started working I pretty much just used my own money to fund my MAC habit. Before that all I had used mainly drugstore brands, Clinique face makeup, and some Lancome GWP stuff that my mom would let me have when she bought stuff there.

To be honest I would have no problem with a 13 year old daughter of mines wearing MAC. Any younger than that, then I would just have her stick to drugstore brands. Most of the MAC that she'll have will be through HER earning it. Whether it's for good behavior, good grades, chores around the house or a job. This way she'll be earning these things instead of just being given to her. But I would probably first start her off with some basic essential products from MAC like maybe some liner or concealer and a gloss, something that she could wear everyday. And anything else she wants, she'll have to earn.

atwingirl

Give me a break and reread the sentence. The sentence written was "when children are handed THINGS,...". I am sorry I did not list all makes,models, brands and stores that encompass these things. I believe that someone who was interested in exchanging ideas with others would have understood that. Let's not be so quick to judge others and pick apart their posts. Most people respect others and that's what I LIKE best about these threads.

macfan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaspearl83
I have a 10yo daughter who has been wearing light pink lipglasses for the past couple of years...her lips are genetically full and she is also a competition cheerleader so occasionally, she must wear a full face. Honestly, I would prefer her to wear GOOD products since I have been trying to teach her GOOD skincare techniques as well.
Also, I teach her which looks are age appropriate and/or church appropriate; so, it's been a great experience.

I completely agree.
yes.gif

Mindy!

I think it's fine. I just wouldn't let my daughter wear a full face till she was 14. Personally. But lipgloss is fine. And i would prefer her to wear nice quality makeup, and teach her how to use it proberly.

Tahti

My younger sister is 13, and she has some MAC - I bring her into the counter and help her pick out stuff. I've been teaching her about makeup, because I think she should at least know about good quality MU and how to use brushes et cetera, instead of muddling around for years like I did.

She looks old enough to get away with heavier makeup, but I just show her how to do lighter, pretty and more age appropriate looks. I've taught her about skincare and all that for about 2 years now... I'd have given anything for an older sister to show me how to do my skin/makeup/hair ;O

Gadook

I'm 17, and I started wearing MAC about a year and a half ago. It is and has always been with my own money (I've had a job for 3 years) and I sure do appreciate it
greengrin.gif

I wouldn't mind my child wearing MU at 15, if it's suitable for her age and appearance. at 17 I still don't wear a full face, mostly eyes. At younger then 15 I would stick to a bit of shadow and gloss.

Lauren1981

well, i don't feel 11 year olds should be wearing makeup period. idcare if it's wet n wild.
but maybe like 15 or so....... dunno
th_dunno.gif

it's kind of a toss up because i don't think (JUST MY OPINION) that a lot of them really know the art of makeup. i feel that if you're wearing an EXPENSIVE brand then your skills need to be up to par. not saying that a 15 year old can't have experience, i just think that majority (not all female/males that age) go for the big name brands simply because of that...... the name brand. like jumping on the band wagon just because it's a well-known expensive brand. not because they like a particular brand because of the the colors offered or the pigmentation of a brand, etc, etc......
an example of teens i DON'T feel know the art of makeup:
i went to MAC when hello kitty came out. i wasn't impressed with it but i still spent a shitload of money on other stuff (and i was at the counter for like 3 hours). these girls came up, looked to be about 14/15. were like "like, omg! hello kitty. omg! i LOVE hello kitty. i love this!! i love that!!" and blah blah blah. didn't try on shit. just grabbed a bunch of shit and started digging in this ratty ass purse to pay for some lipglass and glittery eye shadow in QUARTERS. WTF?? HUH?? to me, they just wanted to be able to say they owned some MAC. just my feeling on it and prob the MA's feeling because none of them approached them either. lol!
so, like i said, it just depends. some teens are awesome with makeup but i feel the number of them that go for the big brands just to be cool outnumber the ones who are actually into makeup and the expensive brands. i've seen some fotd's on here by ppl in that age group that i think are great. but for the majority??? no
just my opinion
tong.gif

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
^^^^ BWAHHHHHHH you said digging in their ratty ass purse!! I am screaming!!!

tish it was CRAZY!!!
if you could have seen the look on my face............
nope.gif

Lauren1981

and to go along with this topic. i was one of the extremely inexperienced i-want-expensive-brands-to-look-cool....
when i was 13 my grandma had given me this tube of Lancome lipstick. RED lipstick that i smeared on my lips in LAYERS even if my lips were chapped. but at that time all i was concerned with was the fact that it was Lancome and i was trying to show off to all my wet n wild wearing friends. lmfao!
incidentally my mom nipped that shit in the bud. i got caught with it on because she came home from work early. i remember she told me i didn't know shit about makeup. hahahahahahaha!!!

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis
Know what? I HATE threads like this just because of comments like this.

You can give a kid payless and walmart and they not have a good work ethic and not appreciate them, work ethic is not only directly correlated to what kids are given but how they are raised!

YES YES YES!

My 4 1/2 and 6 year olds have MAC TLCs already, though, so I might not be the best judge...

Lapis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwingirl
Give me a break and reread the sentence. The sentence written was "when children are handed THINGS,...". I am sorry I did not list all makes,models, brands and stores that encompass these things. I believe that someone who was interested in exchanging ideas with others would have understood that. Let's not be so quick to judge others and pick apart their posts. Most people respect others and that's what I LIKE best about these threads.

Oh come on, it's not disrespectful nor judgmental because I pointed out that while this topic is picking on kids who get high end stuff, kids who get cheap stuff can be asses too, you made a broad statement and I used it that's what happens in discussions

My point-
Handing children things goes beyond brand and clearly into a mentality, the last time I participated in a thread like this it was over a 8 year old carrying coach or lv and the OP didn't even know if it was the mother's bag or a gift, yet the mother was a gold digger and the child was bound to be just like her mother
nope.gif

Yet no one will say the kid who's mom buys her 2-3 lip glosses a week at CVS is a spolit brat, but ohhh noooooos you buy mac for a child the same age and she doesn't know how to care for it, it's lipgloss!!
And further more my local drugstores have $10-12 and higher lipglosses, I could as well buy mac and empties go towards B2M.

Same point for the kid who bought hello kitty with quaters, MAC went after the tween factor with the line, that's exactly who they wanted and what they got! 11-16 year old girls who love hello kitty and bought the line because it was covered with HK, as MAC fiends we are all ewwww but when I go into a Sanrio store the kids are shopping not the parents!

Another point, I'm going to make since I'm writing a book is, that we need to look at this from other stand points, as a mother if I'm wearing Chanel and YSL, MAC is the cheaper option for the kids, that's how it runs in my church most of the moms wear foundations that cost $55-75, lip stuff that's $30 and so on, but I see them at the mac counter with their daughters, I am a younger mom at 30 when compared to the others at 40 and over.

Stargazer don't worry dd holds her lips for lipgloss and tlc's, she's 2
tong.gif

Poor thing as no idea lipgloss is all she'll get to use until shes 14-15, dh is strict!!

crystalclear

If the kids are getting it as a treat or from their own money (pocket money etc) it doesnt bother me either way but I cannot stand those kids who demand things and I find my self wanting to yell at the parent who does as their told by the little brat (this goes for any age or item). I have seen kids of about 10 throwing a tantrum like a 2 year old at their mothers to buy them stuff ranging from Collection 2000 (really cheap MU) to Chanel and the mothers cave in with little resistance because its easier, had I done that my mum would have said no and told me that if I didnt stop it I wouldnt get pocket money the next week, if I went on it would be 2 weeks and so on and she stuck to it. By time I was at primary school I knew better and as a result on a saturday morning she would allow me to choose one thing as a treat (for good behaviour and within reason) and was I glad of it as I knew I'd get the thing I had wanted all week (I'm not talking a massive thing, usually clothes for Barbie or Tinkerbell makeup or something). The ones who throw tantrums and are rewarded for their bad behaviour tend to get what they want then 5 minutes later its something else and as a result they are just never happy and I have noticed that they never say "thank you" they just think they are entitled to it and it often extends to gift by others to them at christmas or birthdays (which makes me REALLY mad). It isnt really the fault of the child they are merely the result of parents too lazy or weak willed to say no and mean it. It doesnt matter if it is a lipstick worth 15p or £15, the lesson learned is bad behaviour gets the job done and there is no incentive to do anything else (leading to the society we have now, where no-one wants to work or they want a high paying job with little effort hence why every summer for the past 10 years or so channel 4 has tortured us with Big Brother and now every channel, the world over has "reality" shows with the types of useless mentally subnormal prats you would not want to be trapped in an elevator with) .
Personally, I have been wearing makeup reguarly since I was 12 (1st year at high school) the brands tended to be the cheaper stuff which I bought myself and smuggled out of the house to apply in the park before school (parents would have made me wash it off if they'd seen it- turns out my mum knew all along thats what I did but thought that was normal behaviour and healthy experimentation for kids that age but not much younger other than for fun). My Dad told me at 14 it was better to save for better makeup than buy it cheap (esp since some of the cheaper brands burned my skin) but even then out of my own pocket, not his or my Mums. So I suppose if a 14 (or younger) year old is genuinely interested in good make up then there is no reason why anyone should tell them not to especially since many kids that age spend their money on alcohol, cigarettes or drugs. If I ever have kids I'd prefer to catch her (or him) having spent £10 on a lipstick than a bottle of vodka (or worse).

CellyCell

My sister was 13/14 when my mom let her wear it (like how she let me wear it). I find that to be a better age. She wouldn't let her wear what I do now but subtle things. I taught her to go for the higher brand stuff so she can keep those for a longer time then Drugstore brands. She's lucky she has an older sister like me during High School - I didn't and I looked like a hot ass mess. LOL.

My mom doesn't like her buying MAC but I gotta remind her she's buying quality.

AmandDUR

i was never given makeup (the small amount that i wore), so most likely if my daughter wants some high end brands when shes a little older, shes going to have to pay for it herself via a job or allowance or maybe as a treat for good behavior etc. mind you thats if shes interested in it at all.

NernersHuman

I started wearing makeup when I was 13 and didn't get any high end stuff until I was pushing 18...I tell you man, when I first got my hands on it (it was a Clinique blush, shadow set, and lipstick and free gift w/purchase!) rest assured I treated them like they were a set of premature infants.

crystalclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
Speaking of little kids wearing makeup...
YouTube - My MAC Cosmetics Collection
this girl looks 9 years old, but hey at least she doesn't wear it outside.... SMH

Thats kinda disturbing that a child that age should be posting videos online and trying to do so in an adult way (i.e. she has sort of mimiced the way older - I mean late teens up- people speak of products etc) Its a bit creepy, I dont think under 14s should be posting videos of themselves and others their age online since there are a lot of sickos out there and these mediums are easily manipulated. Really disturbing.

Latest posts