WOC: The Hair Thread

Pikahime

What do you use as leave-ins? My hair tangles when wet, and I'm having trouble finding leave-ins with slip. Silicon Mix, Givoanni, and KeraCare aren't getting it for me. My hair is still very tangly with these products. I have to wait until my hair dries 40%, to try to detangle.

Only two products seem to work really well for me, and that the Black Vanilla Spray from Carol's Daughter (technically it's my mom's, she uses it for her Locs but I steal it from her, it makes an excellent detangler and it actually smells pretty okay) and a product from Shea Moisture called the Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk (in the yellow bottle for Dry, Damaged hair). Funny thing about the Shea Moisture is that, like the name of the product suggests, it's supposed to be used on transitioning hair. I didn't really read the directions when I bought this and just grabbed it up, first tried it as a moisturizer but it was too watery for me and weighed my hair down (that says a lot, considering even my tex-laxed hair is really thick). However, I used it in the shower after washing my hair because I had nothing else to use and it turned out to be an amazing detangling product. It's water based so if you don't like water based products, the Shea Moisture might not be for you. Their regular leave in conditioner (the one with the pump), makes a good moisturizer AND detangler

MAChostage

I just wanted to chime in here. My hair also tangles very easily and I'm always looking for products with adequate slip. The leave-in that I'm most happy with is As I Am's. Unlike sagehen, I *did not* like Kinky-Curly Knot Today. That one, for me, did not have enough slip. I also recently purchased Tahlia Waajid's The Detangler, which does a pretty good job for me. I hate that Cantu changed their product's formulations (I'm convinced that they did, at least 3 years ago) because I used to really like their leave-in.

Yazmin

Another one in search of a great product with slip. This April will make 2 years post-relaxer and I have been transitioning with sew-ins since then. I finally cut off the rest of my relaxed ends before my last install. I do love my natural hair texture, but I want to keep it protective styling a while longer to help strengthen it since I started experience serious thinning in the crown and around my edges after relaxing for so long. Now my crown is the thickest it's ever been and my edges are getting better.

DILLIGAF

I tried a Bentonite Clay Mask yesterday and it seems to the one thing that tamed my frizz. I generally have a lot of frizz and this it the tamest its been in the longest. I think I will be adding this to my routine at least once month or every other month. It was simple enough to make and to be honest I'm the LAST person to mix up anything to put in my hair. I used:

• Bentonite Clay
  • Aloe Vera Juice
  • Olive Oil
Mix it until it's a paste the consistency of pancake batter. I spread it on my hair and let it sit for about 20 mins. Then I rinsed it out with lukewarm shower. When you think you are done rinsing it out rinse some more.Curls were poppin'! I can say is give it try it seems to be a decent conditioning treatment.

MAChostage

Do tell more, Dilli! Where do you find Bentonite Clay and Aloe Vera juice? And in what proportions did you use each?

I tried a Bentonite Clay Mask yesterday and it seems to the one thing that tamed my frizz. I generally have a lot of frizz and this it the tamest its been in the longest. I think I will be adding this to my routine at least once month or every other month. It was simple enough to make and to be honest I'm the LAST person to mix up anything to put in my hair. I used:

• Bentonite Clay
  • Aloe Vera Juice
  • Olive Oil
Mix it until it's a paste the consistency of pancake batter. I spread it on my hair and let it sit for about 20 mins. Then I rinsed it out with lukewarm shower. When you think you are done rinsing it out rinse some more.Curls were poppin'! I can say is give it try it seems to be a decent conditioning treatment.

MissTT

It was simple enough to make and to be honest I'm the LAST person to mix up anything to put in my hair.
Preach! I will gladly pay someone else to expertly mix things for me. I value my time too much. That's why haircare and natural products seem so cumbersome to me. I don't want to travel around town trying to find special herbs and spices like the Colonel's secret recipe for my wig...

DILLIGAF

Preach! I will gladly pay someone else to expertly mix things for me. I value my time too much. That's why haircare and natural products seem so cumbersome to me. I don't want to travel around town trying to find special herbs and spices like the Colonel's secret recipe for my wig...
Ain't nobody got time for that! LOL

PrettyGirlDoc

Hi Ladies,
I had to chime in here. My hair has been parched the past few weeks. I was in Target and purchased the As I AM co-wash and leave in conditioner. Talk about rain in the desert. Almost instantaneously I saw a difference. Color treated hair that is soft and shiny! Yeah I'm about that life. LOL.

RaizinnthaSun

I got the Knot Today leave in. I used it while I took out a 2 month old sew- in, on 7 months post relaxer hair. I think it was meh. I also put some into my deep conditioner mix. I'm not sure that it made that much of a difference. I'm going to try some of the other leave-ins that were mentioned.

DILLIGAF

Hi Ladies,
I had to chime in here. My hair has been parched the past few weeks. I was in Target and purchased the As I AM co-wash and leave in conditioner. Talk about rain in the desert. Almost instantaneously I saw a difference. Color treated hair that is soft and shiny! Yeah I'm about that life. LOL.
I picked up the As I Am Coconut Co-wash last week from Walgreens it was $2 off. I'm not about the co-wash life, however I figured I'll try it at least once. If I don't like it I have a co-worker or two that will inherit it.

Yazmin

I got the Knot Today leave in. I used it while I took out a 2 month old sew- in, on 7 months post relaxer hair.  I think it was meh. I also put some into my deep conditioner mix. I'm not sure that it made that much of a difference. I'm going to try some of the other leave-ins that were mentioned. 
I'd be interested to see if you come across anything that works for you. I'm not due to take my current install out for at least another 6-8 weeks. Detangling my hair after my base is undone is the part I dread because I'm so tender-headed.

Richelle83

Tresemee Naturals is slipper, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion if you don't mind shipping. Most conditioners with Behentrimonium Methosulfate are ideal(higher on the ingredient list the better)

I forgot how awesome jojoba oil is for my hair.

RaizinnthaSun

I'd be interested to see if you come across anything that works for you. I'm not due to take my current install out for at least another 6-8 weeks. Detangling my hair after my base is undone is the part I dread because I'm so tender-headed.
I'm SUPER tender headed too. The last time I took down my sew-in (I was 5 months post) I used coconut oil as I took my hair out of the braids. I think that this helped a lot. With that install, I had a little bit of matting where new growth met the corn row. The coconut oil really helped to get out the tangles. The install that I just took out wasn't tangled at all so the lack of slip with the Knot Today wasn't that huge of a deal. I've read in some hair forums that Cowboy Magic (it's a horse product) is really good for tangled hair. I may order some.

sss215

Hi Ladies, I had to chime in here.  My hair has been parched the past few weeks.  I was in Target and purchased the As I AM co-wash and leave in conditioner.  Talk about rain in the desert.  Almost instantaneously I saw a difference.  Color treated hair that is soft and shiny!  Yeah I'm about that life.  LOL.
Target has that now??? Great!
I picked up the As I Am Coconut Co-wash last week from Walgreens it was $2 off. I'm not about the co-wash life, however I figured I'll try it at least once. If I don't like it I have a co-worker or two that will inherit it.
This product is labeled as a co wash but to me its actually a sulfate free shampoo. It suds up a little and has no slip and cleaned the scalp. I suspect labeling it a co wash is all about the marketing. I find I need to still condition my hair. I really love this product, but it works differently than taking conditioner and washing with that. They even tell you on the label to follow with a conditioner. Who has to condition again after a co wash... Lol
I got the Knot Today leave in. I used it while I took out a 2 month old sew- in, on 7 months post relaxer hair.  I think it was meh. I also put some into my deep conditioner mix. I'm not sure that it made that much of a difference. I'm going to try some of the other leave-ins that were mentioned. 
I love this leave in the most when using it in the kimmaytube leave in recipe
Tresemee Naturals is slipper, Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion if you don't mind shipping. Most conditioners with  Behentrimonium Methosulfate are ideal(higher on the ingredient list the better) I forgot how awesome jojoba oil is for my hair.
Behentrimonium Methosulfate is rapeseed oil, better known as canola oil. Gives amazing slip for detangling.has no other benefits tho. It's in Luv Naturals products too.

RaizinnthaSun

Behentrimonium Methosulfate is rapeseed oil, better known as canola oil. Gives amazing slip for detangling.has no other benefits tho. It's in Luv Naturals products too.
Get out. I've never heard of anyone putting canola oil into conditioners. Makes sense though. I'm trying that soon. Thank you for the good tip.

DILLIGAF

Oh btw Karen's Body Beautiful and Camille Rose Naturals is now available at some Target stores. Check the websites of the respective brands to see if there is an area near you.

Richelle83

Get out. I've never heard of anyone putting canola oil into conditioners. Makes sense though. I'm trying that soon. Thank you for the good tip.
It is a bit more than just oil but still is made from rapeseed oil.

Most don't put canola in the conditioner but certainly try!

Pikahime

Hey guys! So I finally washed my hair with Carol's Daughter's Monoi shampoo and conditioner. I also borrowed the Leave In Conditioner from my mom to see how that worked too. I've decided to put a little review here in case anyone else wants to give the products a try. On my wash day today, I actually dyed my hair jet black as well as preform a roller set on it (I haven't done one in literally a year and a half)

So a little bit about this line. According to the descriptions on the products, the Monoi Line is supposedly aimed toward people who are experiencing breakage. I don't have a lot of breakage, but when I do experience it, as well as excess shedding. It's usually in the wintertime. The cold air is HORRIBLE for my hair!

Shampoo- This Shampoo was... meh. It didn't tangle my hair up (thank goodness), but it wasn't anything fantastic either. I usually get more moisturized hair out of my Shea Moisture shampoo than this, so I guess I can say it's mediocre at best.
Conditioner- I have to say the same for this product as the shampoo. I didn't see the big deal with this, other than it smelling nice. I guess I just like my deep conditioners so much, that conditioners you leave in for five minutes don't really do anything for me. I DO have to say that this conditioner did do some level of detangling for me because I was able to comb out my hair a bit better than usual.
Leave In- The Monoi Leave in conditioner comes in a little spray bottle that you just spray on your hair. I had high hopes for this because I used to use the black vanilla version of this spray (Well.. more like steal my mother's). This is the product that lived up to my expectations! After putting a few sprays in my hair, detangling was a breeze! I was so pleased because it usually takes about ten to fifteen minutes to detangle my hair, and this time it took a little bit more than five minutes. Which is insane!
Sacred Repairing Serum (I think that's what it's called)- This is a product that I.. sort of don't know what to do with? I applied it on my damp hair after washing it and doing my roller set. This serum is supposed to help strengthen your hair but since it's my first time using it, I don't think I can review it quite yet.

As far as breakage goes... I didn't notice a difference. I have thick hair and it sheds a LOT (hair is supposed to shed up to a hundred strands a day), and perhaps there was a bit less hair in my comb while detangling but then again... I'm only a few weeks post texlax. I'll have to try this stuff again when my new growth has REALLY grown in to really test it. And the smell of the products? Its a very floral scent that can smell overpowering if you use too much of the product. I think it's the most concentrated in the serum, which sort of settles in your hair. With the shampoo and the conditioners, it sort of just faded away.
Hope you all find this little review useful!

sagehen

Coconut oil for the hair - would this be the same coconut oil you can cook with e.g. http://www.drugstore.com/natures-way-efagold-coconut-oil-pure-extra-virgin/qxp166555?catid=183316 ?
That is exactly the jar of coconut oil in my refrigerator right now. I let it sit out on the counter until it is soft enough to scoop some out and I scoop out, add whatever else I want to use and away I go (I like to add neem and rosemary oil if I am treating my scalp, or alone or with castor oil for a hot oil treatment).